NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 09-11-2016, 06:15 AM

Default The day the game was cancelled

Just thought I'd show these today.
That morning I was sittting in my office with a view of the WTC looking South. I couldn't wait for my day to end, I had tickets to see the Yankees vs Chicago White Soxs at the old Yankee Stadium. I had shut my blinds due to the bright sunlight comming in that morning. A co-worker came in and asked me to open my blinds, he heard that the WTC was hit by a plane. I saw a cloud of smoke from one of the towers, we turned on the radio and then tried to call our colleagues located at 90 Church, across from the WTC. I could not get through. Co-workers gathered to watch from my window and then the second tower got hit. We were in shock.....the first building collapsed.....we evacuated. The city was locked down....I kept my tickets.

Old 09-11-2016, 06:46 AM
Mike Dugan

Lest we forget, God bless them all
Old 09-11-2016, 06:54 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Terrible terrible day. I was in Vero Beach at the time and knew many flight students Even though New York was directly impacted, i felt directly impacted and felt violated that people living and training in our local flight school did to this country.

I still have nightmares of the terror people must of had in the towers hoping to get rescued and the people on the planes among others.

What is also sickening is the doors were locked to the top of the towers so helicopters could not rescue anyone I just learned.

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 09-11-2016 at 06:59 AM.
Old 09-11-2016, 07:51 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Was in the City that day watching the buildings burn. Forgetting is not an option when you were there.
What still rips me apart were all the flyers of young kids in their 20s and 30s, secretaries, firefighters, stock traders, cooks, bike messengers, all at the start of their careers, start of their lives. . . . never to come back home.
I will never go to the museum. Just can't do it. And really don't want to relive the day.
Old 09-11-2016, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Was in the City that day watching the buildings burn. Forgetting is not an option when you were there.
What still rips me apart were all the flyers of young kids in their 20s and 30s, secretaries, firefighters, stock traders, cooks, bike messengers, all at the start of their careers, start of their lives. . . . never to come back home.
I will never go to the museum. Just can't do it. And really don't want to relive the day.
I had dinner on 9/7, in the North Tower with a coworker. We were saddened wondering about the workers. We don't know if the restaurant had opened that early.
Old 09-11-2016, 09:10 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Wow, sorry you had to experience all that.

I was at work when my wife called and told me. I'll never forget the day.
Old 09-11-2016, 09:25 AM
Rob

I remember I was numb for 4 days. As a firefighter, I was having coffee in the kitchen of Las Vegas FS3, getting ready to go home for my "4 day" (off). I did pretty much nothing but watch TV for four days and be depressed.

On the fourth day, I needed to get out of the house. I felt a little guilty to be going out for a few beers and dinner, but that's what my wife and I did. We were sitting in a bar when Bonds hit #70. Even though a lot of jounalists will tell you no one likes Barry Bonds, the whole bar applauded. I think the applause was not for Bonds but for the achievement.

I'll also tell you that George W. Bush "used" his photo ops with the FDNY firefighters.....he had a terrible record on firefighter health and safety and was no friend to us.
Old 09-11-2016, 10:14 AM
Chris Wood

A game not played - resulting in a dated but blank line up card from the Sam Perlozzo collection.

My friend and I had an early Sept. 2001 road trip planned to watch the Jays play the Orioles in Baltimore, and then the tragic events of Sept 11 changed the lives of all of us.

Old 09-11-2016, 11:43 AM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

I was at the game at Yankee Stadium the night before, 9/10/2001, against the Red Sox. Clemens was going to be pitching for his 20th win that season, but sadly, the game was rained out. We went back to my buddy's place, maybe 20 blocks from the WTC, and the next morning.........well we all know

Can't ever forget if you were there.........

Last edited by gnaz01; 09-11-2016 at 11:44 AM.