NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 01-24-2012, 09:23 AM
Alan U

Default Cobb letters and autos on Antique Roadshow

Last night on Antique Roadshow a guy whose family was friends with Ty Cobb had 6-7 handwritten letters from Ty Cobb a couple of signed publications and signed ball. The "expert" estimated them to be worth about $30-40K and the owner, surprisingly to me, said he thought they would be worth more.

-Alan
Old 01-24-2012, 01:58 PM
Dan Bretta

The appraiser was Mike "banned from the Hall of Fame Museum" Gutierrez...I disagree with him that Ty Cobb letters have to have interesting baseball content to be worth more than just a cut Ty Cobb signature. I thought it was funny though when the owner said he thought they'd be worth more...Gutierrez seemed taken aback by that.

edited to add: I think there were more than 6 or 7 letters...it was something like 16 letters total and two baseball pamphlets signed by Cobb.

Last edited by slidekellyslide; 01-24-2012 at 01:59 PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:07 PM
Alan U

You are correct Dan, there were more like 16 letters, and I think they mentioned that some of them were only signed as "Ty" instead of "Ty Cobb", which brought the value down some too.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:11 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanu View Post
You are correct Dan, there were more like 16 letters, and I think they mentioned that some of them were only signed as "Ty" instead of "Ty Cobb", which brought the value down some too.
I wonder what a Cobb letter signed only "Ty" would sell for?
Old 01-24-2012, 02:27 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
The appraiser was Mike "banned from the Hall of Fame Museum" Gutierrez...I disagree with him that Ty Cobb letters have to have interesting baseball content to be worth more than just a cut Ty Cobb signature. I thought it was funny though when the owner said he thought they'd be worth more...Gutierrez seemed taken aback by that.

edited to add: I think there were more than 6 or 7 letters...it was something like 16 letters total and two baseball pamphlets signed by Cobb.

Banned from the HOF,,,
Good one Dan.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 01-24-2012 at 02:27 PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:31 PM

Only banned from the Library. (You don't need ID to enter the museum.)
Old 01-24-2012, 02:33 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
Only banned from the Library. (You don't need ID to enter the museum.)
Hopefully they have old sticky fingers photo up so employees will recognize him.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:48 PM
Richard Simon

"banned from the HOF library" is still gainfully employed by one of the major auction houses in the country.
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 01-24-2012, 02:51 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
I wonder what a Cobb letter signed only "Ty" would sell for?
It is not necessarily a question of price but a question of ease of selling. Ty Cobb letters with his full signature are not rare. Collectors in the market for a Ty Cobb letter can easily obtain one with a full signature.
I have not owned one for some time but I would guestimate the "Ty" signed letter to be selling for $1000-1300.
--
Old 01-24-2012, 02:57 PM
Belltown Vintage

First, my apologies for constantly stirring up shite last Fall, regarding autographs. I really was looking for answers to questions, as I've been contemplating buying some pre-war player autographs for some time now, and I basically don't trust most of what I'm seeing.

I finally pulled the trigger recently on a signed Cobb letter. I felt certain it was real, it looked nice, it had a nice signature, it involved baseball, and he came across as pleasant. After deciding I like the item, my criteria for buying an autograph were/are: 1) would a forger have forged this particular item? 2) does the item and signature look authentic? 3) do I plan to keep it as part of my 'permanent' collection? The letter passed the test, so I bought it - in fact, I bid $600 more than it sold for. If I had to pay my ceiling bid, I wouldn't have been concerned. So I'm happy.

Having said all that, I'm still curious what 1-page green, baseball content, nice signature Cobb letters are generally valued at.

I'm dying to ask questions about that '27 Yankee ball forgery, but don't want to risk more animosity. I might do it anyway.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:59 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
It is not necessarily a question of price but a question of ease of selling. Ty Cobb letters with his full signature are not rare. Collectors in the market for a Ty Cobb letter can easily obtain one with a full signature.
I have not owned one for some time but I would guestimate the "Ty" signed letter to be selling for $1000-1300.
Thanks Richard, for answering my post while I was typing it.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
First, my apologies for constantly stirring up shite last Fall, regarding autographs. I really was looking for answers to questions, as I've been contemplating buying some pre-war player autographs for some time now, and I basically don't trust most of what I'm seeing.

I finally pulled the trigger recently on a signed Cobb letter. I felt certain it was real, it looked nice, it had a nice signature, it involved baseball, and he came across as pleasant. After deciding I like the item, my criteria for buying an autograph were/are: 1) would a forger have forged this particular item? 2) does the item and signature look authentic? 3) do I plan to keep it as part of my 'permanent' collection? The letter passed the test, so I bought it - in fact, I bid $600 more than it sold for. If I had to pay my ceiling bid, I wouldn't have been concerned. So I'm happy.

Having said all that, I'm still curious what 1-page green, baseball content, nice signature Cobb letters are generally valued at.

I'm dying to ask questions about that '27 Yankee ball forgery, but don't want to risk more animosity. I might do it anyway.
Scott,
No worries on your letter as far as authenticity. It's definately the real deal...
Old 01-24-2012, 08:37 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
Scott,
No worries on your letter as far as authenticity. It's definately the real deal...
Thanks, Scott. I was very excited to pick it up - bought a Dietsche postcard yesterday to frame up with it.

I wish I had won this as well, but didn't bid - this is what resulted from Cobb's follow-up on the lady's Carrick questions. Very nice stuff, but would have ended up in a box if I had won it:

http://www.huntauctions.com/phone/im...=95&lot_num=46