NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 04-29-2019, 10:38 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Default Time for some quotes:

This is my most special place in all the world. Once a place touches you like this, the wind never blows so cold again. You feel…like it was your child.” Burt Lancaster as Doc Graham, saying ‘no’ to Ray Kinsella’s invitation to Iowa in ‘Field of Dreams’.

People will come, Ray. They’ll come to Iowa for reasons they can’t even fathom. They’ll turn up your driveway, not knowing for sure why they’re doing it. They’ll arrive at your door as innocent as children, longing for the past. “Of course, we won’t mind if you look around,” you’ll say. “It’s only $20 per person.” They’ll pass over the money without even thinking about it, for it’s money they have and peace they lack."

(“Ray, just sign the papers!”)

“Then they’ll walk out to the bleachers and sit in their shirt sleeves on a perfect afternoon. They’ll find they have reserved seats somewhere along one of the baselines, where they sat when they were children and cheered their heroes. And they’ll watch the game and it will be as if they dipped themselves in magic waters. The memories will be so thick, they’ll have to brush them away from their faces.”

(“Ray, when the bank opens in the morning, they’ll foreclose.”)

“People will come, Ray.”

(“You’re broke, Ray. You sell now or you lose everything!”)

“The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It’s been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt, and erased again. But Baseball..has marked the time. This field, this game. It’s a part of our past. It reminds us of all that was once good, and could be again. Oh, people will come, Ray. People will most definitely come.” James Earl Jones as Terence Mann in ‘Field of Dreams’

There comes a time in every man's life, and I've had plenty of them. Casey Stengel

Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded. Yogi Berra

If people don't want to come out to the ball park, nobody's gonna stop 'em.
Yogi Berra

The key to being a good manager is keeping the people who hate me away from those who are still undecided. Casey Stengel

He hits from both sides of the plate. He's amphibious.
Yogi Berra

All right everyone, line up alphabetically according to your height.
Casey Stengel

I just want to thank everyone who made this day necessary.
Yogi Berra

Never make predictions, especially about the future.
Casey Stengel

Good pitching will always stop good hitting and vice-versa.
Casey Stengel

Most ball games are lost, not won.
Casey Stengel

Baseball is ninety percent mental and the other half is physical.
Yogi Berra

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.
Yogi Berra

I was not successful as a ball player, as it was a game of skill.
Casey Stengel

They told me my services were no longer desired because they wanted to put in a youth program as an advance way of keeping the club going. I'll never make the mistake of being seventy again.
Casey Stengel

The towels were so thick there I could hardly close my suitcase.
Yogi Berra

It gets late early out there.
Yogi Berra

You can observe a lot by just watching.
Yogi Berra

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 04-29-2019, 11:32 AM
Peter Spaeth

He could throw a lambchop past a wolf, said about Lefty Grove.

Trying to sneak a fastball past Hank Aaron is like trying to sneak a sunrise past a rooster. Curt Simmons maybe.

He would climb a mountain to punch an echo, said about Ty Cobb.

Hitting against Koufax is like drinking coffee with a fork. Willie Stargell.

He's so good, blind people come to the park to hear him pitch. Reggie Jackson about Tom Seaver.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 04-29-2019, 11:36 AM
Peter Spaeth

You missed one of the great Stengel quotes about the Mets: can't anybody here play this game?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 04-29-2019, 11:37 AM
Peter Spaeth

The third one sounded low, supposedly said by a batter complaining to an umpire after striking out against Walter Johnson.

Old 04-29-2019, 11:48 AM

Coach Morris Buttermaker: Listen, Lupus, you didn't come into this life just to sit around on a dugout bench, did ya? Now get your as$ out there and do the best you can.

Coach Morris Buttermaker: This quitting thing, it's a hard habit to break once you start.
Old 04-29-2019, 04:49 PM
Jam.es Braci.liano

My favorite sports quote is hockey "Ed Belfour is the kind of guy who would complain that he was screened on a penalty shot"
Old 04-29-2019, 05:04 PM
Peter Spaeth

Another from Berra -- I never said half the things I said.

Old 04-29-2019, 05:31 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Directions to Berra’s home.

“When you get to a fork in the road, take it.”

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 04-30-2019, 11:01 PM

“Wake up the Bambino and I’ll face him. Maybe I’ll drill him in the ass.” - Pedro Martinez
“ The Big Possums Walk Late” - Harry Caray
“Let’s Play Two” - Ernie Banks
“I Float like a butterfly and sting like a bee!” - Muhammad Ali
“OOOOOOHHHHHH NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!” - Ron Santo
“What the Hells Going On Out Here!” - Vince Lombardi
“Well, Well, They said it couldn’t be done; but it doesn’t always work!” - Casey Stengel
“Don’t let the pressure exceed the pleasure” - Joe Maddon
“And Bo Jackson says Hello!” - Vin Scully
“You look like a monkey screwing a football out there!” - Herb Brooks
“That’s some peein’ Mister!” - Mae Mordabito
“There’s No Cryin’ in Baseball!” - Jimmy Dugan
“Hamburgers, Hot Dogs, Spaghetti and Meatballs!” - Frazier Thomas
Old 05-01-2019, 12:37 PM

Default Quote

Willie Stargell : Throwing a knuckleball for a strike is like throwing a butterfly with hiccups across the street into your neighbor's mailbox.

Completed - 1967 Topps Baseball, 1969 Greiner Tires Pirates, 1964 Topps Giants

Working on - 1967 Topps Test Stickers - Pirates 31/33 just need the 2 Clemente’s

Also looking for a 1970's Spalding Advisory Staff photo of Richie Hebner.
Old 05-02-2019, 02:25 PM
D.an Jackso.n

Sorry for the length, but long time Cardinals broadcaster Mike Shannon's are quite prolific:

Reasons To Love Mike Shannon

CONTEXT, PLEASE:

Broadcasting from New York under a full moon:
"I wish you folks back in St. Louis could see this moon."

Referring to Japanese pitching sensation Hideo Nomo:
"He's is the biggest thing to hit Japan since they dropped that bomb on Nagashima!"

Referring to a questionable ruling by the official scorer:
"Well, no one’s perfect. Only one guy was ever perfect, Jack, and they nailed him to a tree!"

Referrinng to ex-Cardinals outfielder Bernard Gilkey:
"Gilkey was originally born in University City."
"He's faster than a chicken being chased by Ronald McDonald!"

Referring to Mike Schmidt:
"...the longtime, and soon-to-be, Hall-of-Famer."

Referring to a Home Run by Ted Simmons:
"Well, that's the bread on Simmons's butter."

Broadcasting the day before Easter:
"I just want to tell everyone Happy Easter and Happy Hanukkah."

When the Cubs' Derrick Lee took 2nd base late in the game without a throw from the Cardinals' catcher:
"Lee runs into second...they'll just let him go. They call that runner's indifference...or something like that. Hah. "

Urging Scott Rolen to take a pitch on 3-0:
"You don't kick that dog as he's sleeping on the porch, you don't step on his tail, you just walk on by. If you step on his tail, he might jump up and bite you on the ankle or the kneecap."

Talking about a road game in Montreal:
"This game is moving along pretty quick, it must have something to do with the exchange rate."

Referring to a young fan who was hit with a foul ball:
"And that youngster will leave the stadium with a souvenir today. Not a ball, but a nice looking bruise."

After closer Jason Isringhausen lost his command of the strike zone:
"Izzy's like a wild hare in March, running all over the lot!"

Referring to the Busch Stadium organist:
"Ernie Hayes is up there playing with his organ.”

After a batter leading off the ninth inning with his team down by three took a mighty swing but missed:
"He was trying to hit a three run homer with the bases empty. To my knowledge, no one in the history of the game has ever done that. But it could happen someday. You never know in this world of baseball."

After ex-Cardinals outfielder Brian Jordan was hit by a pitch for the fourth time on one road trip:
"Jordan must feel like a Ouija Board."

Referring to former manager Whitey Herzog:
"The key thing is, he has that photogenic mind."

While Mike and Joe were discussing unflattering photographs of players that had been flashed on the screen at another ballpark, Mike's take on the quality of the photo selection:
"Some of those guys look like the picture was taken while they were seeing their first UFO."
After several seconds of laughter, Joe adds:
"As opposed to their second or third."

The TV lights were on in the press box and the umpire stopped the game until they were turned off:
“The reason you can’t do that is the light will get in the fielder’s eyes and they’ll get hit right between the coconuts.”

CLASSIC SHANNON:

"Ole Abner has done it again."

"A hit up the middle right now would be like a nice ham sandwich and a cold, frosty one."

"Well, he did everything right to get ready for the throw, but if ya ain't got the hose, the water just won't come out."

"It's raining so hard I thought it was going to stop."

"I wouldn't have seen it if I hadn't believed it."

"He's madder than a pig caught under a barnyard gate."

"He ran to second faster than a cat in Chinatown."

"Well, folks, this game began as a tiny worm and is blossoming into a large cobra."

"Brad Penny...they should have named him half-a-dollar. Whoa he's big! Heh heh heh."

"It's raining like a Chinese fire drill!"
"Don't bite your head off to spite your nose."

"We owe you a station break, this one's for the folks listening in Paris...Tennessee. You thought I was going to say Paris... Kentucky! No such luck. Heh Heh Heh."

"A couple of strips of bacon at breakfast and he’d a busted that ball out of here."

"Like Spring makes the rain come, so does the edge of the plate grow."

"You know, these professional hitters make it look easy, sometimes they just stick the bat out and spank the baby!"

"Boy, a cold frosty Budweiser would be great about now. (Long pause) Ahhhhh."

"One run in this ballpark (Wrigley) is like a grain of salt in the Sahara Desert."

"Jeff Bagwell finally drove in a run after 75 at-bats without one. That's like crossing the Sahara.....Backwards!"

"GRAAAND SLAAAAAM! Nope nope nope, it's gonna be caught at the warning track."

"He’s bringing the ball up there 95 mph or better. It’s powder river. You like fastballs…munch on this."

"Everyone’s on a pitch count now, you people down on the farms don’t let major league baseball on your place or they will have the cows on a pitch count."

"So Taguchi, who wears number 99, unless you stand him upside down and then it’s 66."

"Well that’s the life of a reliever. It’s either a mountain or a valley, there’s no in-between. You either get all of the glory or all of the goat hair."

"Acevedo tried to sneak that pitch past Pujols on the inside corner. That’s like trying to sneak the sun past the rooster."

SAY IT AGAIN, MIKE:

"We'd like to say hello to all those folks listening in Monkey's Eyebrow, Kentucky."

Joe Buck: "Mike, the Cardinals would like to welcome a group of 19 French foreign exchange students in Section 382."
Mike: "Where're they from, Joe?"
Joe: "Uhh, France, I think."

"The wind switched 360 degrees."

"Things are not always as they appear to be as."

"This big standing-room only crowd is settling into their seats."

"There's a long drive by Porter! And the left fielder catches it under the warning track."

"There's a long drive! And the second basemen catches it right behind the bag."
"That foul tip bounced up and caught him right in the groins...and that'll really clear your eyes out."

"The right-hander is throwing up in the bullpen."

"Our next homestand follows this road trip."

"I've heard it said that if you know English, Spanish, Italian, and I think it's French, you can go just about anywhere in this world...except China where they have all those derelicts."
After a pause, Joe Buck suggests that Mike meant to say "dialects."
"Yeah, dialects! That's what I mean...but they've got a lot of derelicts too!"

"The crowd's on their feet for the Canadian Star Bangled Banner."

"Back in the day when I played, a pitcher had 3 pitches: a fastball, a curveball, a slider, a changeup and a good sinker pitch."

"Both men could have been hurt and that would have wiped out two-thirds of the infield."

"He hails from the island of Puerto Rico. Puerto Rico is an island, isn’t it? Well, just try to swimming off of it and I guess you’ll find out."

"The pitcher throws the ball to the umpire and asks for new one. Normally the ump would give that tainted ball to the ball boy, but he just inspects it and puts it back in his ball sack."

"...popped up into foul territory and out of play…oh that ball landed right in that lady’s Busch."