NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-22-2010, 11:03 PM

Default Cobb/Cobb card in Goodwin Auction

Though it is a half-grade less than the Cobb/Cobb in the REA auction, I feel the one in the Goodwin auction presents much nicer. That being said, with buyer's premium it is already over $135,000 and the auction's still running. Has this card broken out of all previous price points or is this a registry battle that we see on occasion? (see the PSA 7 Lundgren in the last SCP for an example of what I mean) Is this similar to what we saw a few years ago when major separation developed between Planks and Magies? Like Wagners, will we never see this card for under $100k again?

Last edited by JP; 04-22-2010 at 11:22 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 04-24-2010, 03:37 PM

I'm intrigued that the Cobb/Cobb seems to have broken out to a new price level, and no one has anything to say about it. In 2005, Wagners of any grade eclipsed $100k, and then their price appreciation accelerated at an astronomical rate. In just five years, the price of Wagners tripled. In 2015, may we see $250-300k as the base price for a Cobb/Cobb?
Old 04-24-2010, 04:14 PM
Clayton

I don't know which way to look at it-are serious collectors bidding it up that high because of the true rarity of the card and they want to add it to their collection,or is it seeing this type of escalated bidding due to the # of "investors" who only care about the card for the potential return 2-5 years from now?

Clayton
Old 04-24-2010, 04:43 PM
Johnny S

I thought they slightly overpaid about 100k or more.
Old 04-24-2010, 04:53 PM

I feel like it was an overpayment as well BUT in a couple of years might this look like a hell of a steal? Cobb/Cobb is far more rare than Wagner after all...
Old 04-24-2010, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
I feel like it was an overpayment as well BUT in a couple of years might this look like a hell of a steal? Cobb/Cobb is far more rare than Wagner after all...

Rarity is just one part of the magical value equation!
Old 04-24-2010, 08:02 PM
Joe P.

Default teetwoohsix ... the answer is easy .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by teetwoohsix View Post
I don't know which way to look at it-are serious collectors bidding it up that high because of the true rarity of the card and they want to add it to their collection,or is it seeing this type of escalated bidding due to the # of "investors" who only care about the card for the potential return 2-5 years from now?

Clayton

After a while, it's easy to tell the difference between a collector, and a portfolio flipper.

The key words are:

Registry.
Half- grade.
Crossover. ... (not to be confused with Passover)
Value equation.
Investment.
Rare. ... (the word has lost its meaning)
SCP.
PSA - SGC - GAI.
That's just a start, I'm sure you can add more.
Notice, they rarely talk about the card ... It's always about the Munee.

Now ... In what group does JP, and a few others fit in?
Old 04-24-2010, 08:14 PM

Actually, my entire point was about the card and its transcedence. Not a single word I wrote has to do with flipping...but I appreciate you once again pulling something irrelevant out of thin air. I think collectors may finally be appreciating the true signficance of this card to the hobby.

Furthermore, how is my speculation of reasons why OTHERS may spend so much on a card (financial interest included) any reflection on me? I didn't buy that Cobb. I rarely bUy a card with interest in selling it years from now. I either try to find a card to flip immediately to fund a purchase for my long-term collection, or I buy a card with the intent of hiding it away for decades.

Last edited by JP; 04-24-2010 at 08:28 PM.
Old 04-24-2010, 08:24 PM
Joe P.

Default Sure, JP sure ... whatever you say :) .....

None of us are able to read .....

It was all about the card.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:45 PM
pete ullman

with so few known to survive...you'd think not too many were made in the first place. Would there be such printing/gloss variations with so few made...I mean the two background reds appear very different? I don't know?

Last edited by ullmandds; 04-26-2010 at 10:46 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:07 PM

Maybe the red ink is the same, but the gloss alters the appearance?
Old 04-27-2010, 05:36 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Also, isn't the point of buying this card to get the unique back of the card? Why spend 150K on the card when the back looks like crap compared to other examples of the card which could have been had for 1/3 the price? Again, makes no sense at all.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:22 AM
Peter Spaeth

Jeff you will have to ask that question to the winner and underbidder(s).

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:24 AM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Also, isn't the point of buying this card to get the unique back of the card? Why spend 150K on the card when the back looks like crap compared to other examples of the card which could have been had for 1/3 the price? Again, makes no sense at all.

Since we started this thread, (not necessarily because of it) the REA Cobb has picked up a couple more bids. It's up to $60k versus $45k a few days ago. I think it will close in the same area as the Goodwin Cobb.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:28 AM
Steve Murray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim VB View Post
Since we started this thread, (not necessarily because of it) the REA Cobb has picked up a couple more bids. It's up to $60k versus $45k a few days ago. I think it will close in the same area as the Goodwin Cobb.
$135,000 with the juice? I'll take the over.