NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-22-2014, 08:16 PM
Gobucsmagic74

Default W551 Ruth Strip card questions

Recently purchased what I believe is a very nice W551 Ruth Strip card and have a couple questions. First off, I really feel like the card is under graded as it rests (whether you agree or disagree to strip cards receiving grades, or my opinion of the current grade is not relevant...yet, please be patient!), it is very clean aside from a crease in the upper left corner and some soiling of some sort in that same corner. There's no paper loss, no additional creases, and as you can see the card appears to be wider than the minimum size requirement for this issue, albeit crudely cut. Which leads me to my questions.

1) What are the minimum dimensions on this issue?
2) In so much as this card is hand-cut anyways, is there any moral or ethical reason that should prevent me from slightly trimming down the right edge, assuming I can keep the dimensions in tact for a numerical re-grade?
3) Is it worth it and what would you do? I don't have any plans to sell, but would love this to be a 2.5 or a 3 considering this card has maintained the dimensions to receive a numerical grade (with some to spare) while the vast majority haven't.

As much as I appreciate everyone's opinion on whether or not hand-cut strip cards even deserve to receive numeric grades, I'm much more concerned with people's opinion of trimming the card while keeping it within the limits that allow for numeric grading as this card appears to have plenty of room to lose (like maybe a millimeter or two, lol).

Having said that, I appreciate any and all opinions. Thanks in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg W551Ruth.jpg (28.4 KB, 96 views)

Last edited by Gobucsmagic74; 06-22-2014 at 08:24 PM.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:27 PM
Frank Hay-zer

Congrats on the pick-up! I have always been a fan of Babe's early strip cards; it's a great way to get a nice looking early Ruth. That said, I really don't think you will a higher grade than this if there is soiling. The right edge seems 'wavy' and combined with the crease and soiling, I really think that's about the highest you will get grade-wise. Maybe a better scan would change my mind but from what I see, that was an appropriate, if not generous grade.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:37 PM
Gobucsmagic74

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankh8147 View Post
Congrats on the pick-up! I have always been a fan of Babe's early strip cards; it's a great way to get a nice looking early Ruth. That said, I really don't think you will a higher grade than this if there is soiling. The right edge seems 'wavy' and combined with the crease and soiling, I really think that's about the highest you will get grade-wise. Maybe a better scan would change my mind but from what I see, that was an appropriate, if not generous grade.
Thanks Frank. I'm wondering if slightly trimming down the right edge might make a difference in terms of eye appeal and whether or not it's even ethical? Obviously the crease and soiling (its just a bit dingy) in the upper left aren't going anywhere, nor is the card itself. This is more of an OCD issue than anything, although I want to be able to maintain size requirements for numeric grade, as an "authentic" grade would be far uglier to me than SGC 20 with a fugly right edge.

Last edited by Gobucsmagic74; 06-22-2014 at 08:49 PM.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:44 PM
Steve Birmingham

I'd say the same.

It's a nice looking card for the technical grade, and while fixing the right edge might make it more attractive to some it's also a risk of downgrading to an "A" grade. The crease and soiling should keep it out of much beyond a 30.

I'm not sure if there's a fixed size, handcut stuff usually has to have any printed borders present to get a number. I don't think that set had printed dividers, so they might go with having at least half of the distance between cards present. So if the distance between card images on an uncut strip is 1/4 inch there has to be at least 1/8 on each side or to be generous, 1/4 total between right and left margins. (And this is just how I'd do it - a grading co may not do it the same way)

With strip cards I actually like to see oversize somewhat crooked borders.

Steve B
Old 06-22-2014, 08:48 PM
Gobucsmagic74

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
I'd say the same.

It's a nice looking card for the technical grade, and while fixing the right edge might make it more attractive to some it's also a risk of downgrading to an "A" grade. The crease and soiling should keep it out of much beyond a 30.

I'm not sure if there's a fixed size, handcut stuff usually has to have any printed borders present to get a number. I don't think that set had printed dividers, so they might go with having at least half of the distance between cards present. So if the distance between card images on an uncut strip is 1/4 inch there has to be at least 1/8 on each side or to be generous, 1/4 total between right and left margins. (And this is just how I'd do it - a grading co may not do it the same way)

With strip cards I actually like to see oversize somewhat crooked borders.

Steve B
Gotcha, in other words "respect the cut". I appreciate your opinion.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:47 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I am in the "their strip cards so hand cut is fine" camp....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pwaccx7.jpg (76.3 KB, 65 views)