NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-30-2013, 07:12 PM
Rich.ard Dwy.er

Default Outbidded again on a Polar bear pouch

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nice-Old-Uno...torefresh=true

They're getting hard to find. Who won? And this one had overprinting of 1921!

Last edited by rdwyer; 06-30-2013 at 07:13 PM.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:37 PM
T0NY @

Not sure, but I was the under bidder. If I didn't already have 2 I would have bid a bit more than I did.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:49 PM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default well

they have always been kinda scarce. I've sold 5 or 6 since 1995 and all were still sealed. 215.00 for an opened one is a bit stiff but still within reason. I've sold the sealed ones from 400. to 700.. They have kept their value well and remain as good examples of supply/demand economics. I would put these packs in the 100 known or less category - a fairly high number when compared to some of the lesser known slide and shell brands - so don't give up hope Richard! Interestingly enough - I remember when an article (SCD?CRS) around 1995 highlighted an unopened pack of Polar Bear bought for around 20.00.. The valuation at the time was I believe a few hundred dollars or more (pulled out of the air by buyer at the time-there was very little interest then in the packs and such beyond curiosity - little history to base a price on - and good times were coming). The interesting part was that although the date on the stamp was 1910 - there was a red "cancellation" dated 1952! I just didn't understand! This got me started researching the seemingly strange connection and subsequently started me on my pack collection. Within the year I had scored TWO polar packs as well as some earlier packs and I was hooked. Sadly I've sold my Ramley, Gypsy Queen, TTT, and broadleaf packs along the way and haven't been able to replace them YET. Same with the Polar Bear. I'm basically a 19th century guy. I have quite a few Duke, Goodwin, and Ginter packs as well as gypsy queen and Old Judge "cases/cartons" to appease the need - but a run of the T206 packs seems quite the special chase.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:38 PM
Rich.ard Dwy.er

I agree. T206 boxes are really scarce. Super scarce are ones that are period.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:10 PM
And.rew C0rs0

I don't know much about collecting tobacco packages, so just curious. With the 1921 stamp this pack would obviously not have a T206 but did Polar Bear continue putting inserts I their packages - like soldiers, flowers, or movie star cards, etc.?
Old 06-30-2013, 10:22 PM
Barry Arnold

Default pouch

I agree with the 'crowd'. I have an unopened Polar Bear pouch and haven't seen another in some time. I have an unopened Obak pack as well.
I have a number of other opened 'packs': Old Mill, Tolstoi, American beauty,
EPDG,turkey red,sweet caporal, piedmont, helmar, egyptienne straights,
sovereign, pirate, Turkish trophies,recruit, high grade,mecca,murad.
All are period or near period. I also have a drum pouch which never held anything but tobacco but still fun to display with a T206 Drum of Moeller.
It does seem to me--anecdotally--that the T206 related packs are getting tougher to come by.
all the best in your search,
barry
Old 06-30-2013, 11:28 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Help us T206 novices out. Do any of these packs people are talking about in this thread have cards in them??

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:20 PM
Rich.ard Dwy.er

Period packs are ones that have the right stuff. The right tax stamp, the right factory number, district, & state. There are approx. 100 packs out there, that have the right stuff. I could be wrong on that number, but it's probably close.