NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 08-17-2007, 11:08 AM
Administrator

Default How do you guys feel about...

Posted By: paulstratton

...making your own cabinet cards? I have some nice old photos and other various "vintage images" that I would like to display. They are either too small or too monetarily insignificant to have framed and I don't want to keep them in an album forever(I forget I have them sometimes). I noticed large lots of vintage cabinets on ebay which have some beautiful looking color cabinets, but have pictures of anonymous people on them. Would it be sacrilegious to skin the anonymous photo and somehow attach these vintage photos I have to the cabinet? I would not be doing this to deceive anyone, only for my own personal enjoyment. Maybe adding some calligraphy on the bottom to identify the player or person. Any thoughts on this?

Old 08-17-2007, 11:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

I would be against it personally because those items are likely to make their way back onto the market at some point. Here's one on ebay that ended last week that didn't fool anyone, but I thought it was aesthetically pleasing.

http://tinyurl.com/38zpjd

Old 08-17-2007, 11:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joseph

While I generally have a tough time destroying old photographs of people, I also realize that the alternative is the city dump…there’s probably no family that wants them, so, yeah, it’s a bit sacrilegious, but what the heck.

What you’re doing is “art” and I say, enjoy yourself and create! And if you’re really doing this for yourself, then you should brand the art in some fashion with a date so Dan’s concerns about future marketability would be addressed.

Over the past few month's I've made a couple of n172 Old Judge fakes as an art project. I'll post one of them here when I have a chance.

adding pic.

Old 08-17-2007, 01:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: E, Daniel

One man's 'anonymous' subject is another person's family member, or even a find of historical significance. I'd rather not be the one to destroy such personal images (though they have fallen into a lost world), and there's always a chance some early figure of real importance to any of a number of important subjects can be recognized from these cabinets - adding to the record of human interest and achievement. While you or I might not recognize them, that doesn't mean one might not be skinning a one-off image of real significance. I always think if the piece holds no real interest, put it back into circulation (ebay's a great forum for moving your junk into someone else's trophy room) so that another might enjoy it more.

Definitely JMO.

Daniel

Edited to add an 'n'

Old 08-17-2007, 01:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

You could also make your own mounts, design and color them as you wish. As long as the mount is identified as modern, there's nothing inherently wrong with mounting an old photo for display. My opinion is it's best for the mount to be different than the period's style so there's no confusion. For example, if you design an 1860s-style mount for a 1920s snapshot, those familiar with photos will know the mount isn't original to the photo. If you design a 2007-style, there also be no confusion. Write on back when made.

I'm generally not for remounting photos, and am against destroying old family photos-- but can imagine an artful and careful collector gussying up photos in a nice way. If one can acceptably matte and frame an old photo, I don't rule out nicely mounting a photo for around the house display.

Another thing, there are also early 1900s folder-mounts. Instead of having the photo pasted onto the mount, they are slipped behind the 'frame.' These fold mounts are often very fancy looking, with studio name etc. You can slip in your photo ever the old photo, and damage neither.

Old 08-17-2007, 03:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingbaseballgolf33

Not a bad idea if you could get around the red tape, I just think if you were to sell the photo there could be issues stated above that you may not be able to get around. I have bought old judges were new backs were placed on and it can be hard to notice - you just would not want to mislead anyone.

Jimmy