NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-27-2018, 03:11 AM
Bill Gregory

Default These discussions mean more than you know

When I was a kid growing up in Wisconsin, I spent stretches of time where I'd have to stay in bed because of a broken elbow, arm or leg (damned ice!!). And while my friends would come and visit me, and my wonderful parents would doat on me, the thing that made me feel better than any medication was pulling out my baseball cards, my Brewers yearbooks, or the books I'd collected about the Milwaukee Braves, the Pittsburgh Pirates, the Boston Red Sox, or baseball history in general. I'd lose myself in baseball, reading about my heroes, and in doing so, I'd forget how I felt. My focus was elsewhere. In my mind, I was standing in the batters box, facing down Bob Feller. I had the 1949 Dell Major League Baseball Facts Figures and Official Rules book, with Lou Boudreau on the front, and the MVP of the All-American Girls Baseball League, Sophie Kurys, on the back cover.

Sophie Kurys, the "Flint Flash"

I had Baseball Stars of 1962, with Roger Maris on the front, the 1965 version with Mickey Mantle gracing the front cover. I read about Dean Chance, Ken Boyer, Tony Olivia, and a slew of up-and-comers. Those books were my escape. The library was my haven; I had a stack of books checked out, and I constantly pestered the librarians to get more books about the Boys of Summer.

I may sometimes go a week, or more, not checking the forum, depending on how I'm feeling. But when I do load up the laptop, and see a thread like the one on Walter Johnson, I'm reminded once again of just how much I love our hobby. And, I feel like that kid again, losing myself in the wonderful history of the game. You share your collections because of a common passion we all have, and it makes this little corner of the internet a very special place, for me. Net54 has become my escape; the incredible eye candy, and the stimulating conversations that accompany them, mean more to me than you all can know. I'm a sentimental guy, at heart, but I think of all of you as being an extended family, and I thank you all for the wonderful hours spent here so far.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 04-27-2018, 05:03 AM
T0m C@rf@gn0

I agree wholeheartedly. Wonderful post.
Old 04-27-2018, 05:11 AM
And.rew Mil.ler

Bill,

Completely agree! I just had surgery a few weeks ago and this forum has helped keep me distracted.
I always enjoy reading and seeing all the incredible examples on this forum.

Andrew
Old 04-27-2018, 06:18 AM
Derek Granger

Default Kurys / Musial

FWIW, the Dell book with Kurys on the back has Musial on the front cover. Kurys stole a whopping 201 bases in 1946!!

If you don’t have this book any more, let me know and I’ll send my copy to you for free. Nice post.

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 04-27-2018, 06:20 AM
Rob

Very nice post. I'm not even that much of a baseball fan and I keep coming back. You guys must be doing something right....or wrong depending on your perspective.

I found myself enjoying the Walter Johnson thread as well, which is odd since I've never owned or even thought to buy any of his cards or memorabilia. The history of the game intrigues and I love hearing about it.

That pic of Sophie reminds me of Madonna in A League of Their Own. Great picture...the one of Sophie. Thought the movie was just so so.

Enjoyed reading your post. Thanks.
Old 04-27-2018, 07:29 AM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oya311 View Post
FWIW, the Dell book with Kurys on the back has Musial on the front cover. Kurys stole a whopping 201 bases in 1946!!

If you don’t have this book any more, let me know and I’ll send my copy to you for free. Nice post.
Thank you for the offer, Derek. I still have it. Most of my stuff is in storage, so I got the back covers mixed up. Audrey Wagner was on the back of the 1949 book. I should have known that.

Yeah, Sophie stole like 1,100 bases in her career. She was a regular speed demon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
Very nice post. I'm not even that much of a baseball fan and I keep coming back. You guys must be doing something right....or wrong depending on your perspective.

I found myself enjoying the Walter Johnson thread as well, which is odd since I've never owned or even thought to buy any of his cards or memorabilia. The history of the game intrigues and I love hearing about it.

That pic of Sophie reminds me of Madonna in A League of Their Own. Great picture...the one of Sophie. Thought the movie was just so so.

Enjoyed reading your post. Thanks.
Thank you.

A League of Their Own was based on the All-American Girls Professional Baseball League. Being from Southeast Wisconsin, and studying the history of the game, I learned about them at a young age. Three of the teams were from very close to where I was born: the Racine Belles, the Kenosha Comets, and the Milwaukee Chicks.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 04-27-2018, 10:20 AM
Bill

Dilly Dilly!