NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-15-2005, 02:55 PM
Administrator

Default Boston Shriner's Card Show

Posted By: David Yoken

Hi folks -

Is anyone planning on going to the Boston Shriner's Card Show at the beginning of November? Apparently it is the only card show worth going to in New England these days, especially for vintage material.

Has anyone been before? How does it compare to Ft. Washington?

Thanks!

Dave

Old 10-15-2005, 03:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: BlackSoxFan

Haven't done it before, but i'll be there this year.

Regards,

Black Sox Fan

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

email me

Old 10-15-2005, 03:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Patrick McMenemy

I have attended this show for the past 6 or 7 years. It normally is a decent show, but is smaller than the Fort Washington Show. National dealers like Terry Knouse make it a very good show. However, last year was an off year. Hopefully this year will be better.

Patrick

Old 10-15-2005, 04:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: cmoking

I'll be there too. Looking forward to it. I was there three years ago when I wasn't nearly as interested in vintage cards as I am now. I'm hoping there are some different dealers there than at the National...and the ones that are the same, I hope they've picked up some good stuff.

Old 10-18-2005, 04:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Greg

Can someone post some information on where this will be? Would greatly appreciate it.
Greg

Old 10-18-2005, 06:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

WILMINGTON, MA
NOVEMBER 4, 5 & 6, 2005
20th Annual GBSCC Sports Card & Memorabilia Show, Shriner’s Auditorium, Exit 39 off Rt. 93, Wilmington, MA. Friday 12:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m., Saturday 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. and Sunday 10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Contact: Bill Carvalho @ 781-944-1185. Web site: www.gbscc.com

Here's a link to their website

http://www.gbscc.com/convention.html

Old 10-21-2005, 12:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John Rahilly

Where is it? I live in Needham, Ma, and it must be somewhere in
eastern Massachusetts? Do you know who runs it? Thanks.

Old 10-21-2005, 03:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: greg

Thanks for posting the link. Hope to make it up there.
Greg

Old 10-21-2005, 09:56 PM
Administrator

Anyone who wants to try and meet up let me know! Shoot me an email

Regards,

Black Sox Fan

email me

Old 11-07-2005, 04:09 PM
Administrator

Anyone else end up attending this show? I thought it was pretty great overall with a wide variery of material to chose from. Quite a bit of pre-war cards and emphera to satisfy many interests. This was my first fairly large scale show as I've only been collecting for a couple of years now.

Ended up purchasing a great little turn of the century Wright and Ditson REd Sox bat from Scott Gaynor as well as a great 1915 postcard of Fenway Park I've been looking for. It was great meeting Scott for the first time. Wish I had some more disposable income for a couple of similar pieces I had to leave behind.

The show was well worth the effort for anyone in the area. Had a lot of fun chewing the fat with one of the heros of my youth, Gerry Cheevers, on cigars. Great time overall.

Greg

Old 11-07-2005, 04:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: H Murphy

I also went to the show on Sunday with a couple of friends. Easily the most pre-war material I`ve seen at one time. Had a chance to see first hand examples of the many cards talked about on this site. overall, a very good time but just too short too see all there was to see!

Old 11-07-2005, 04:57 PM
Administrator

I was a bit disappointed there weren't more stuff I was interested in, but it was nice to browse a little bit. It seems many of the dealers were at the National, and it seems with similar or the same stuff, so it wasn't nearly as interesting as the National was for me.

Where was Scott Gaynor located? I thought he dealt in a bunch of SGC stuff - I didn't see any table with that...maybe I just missed it - or maybe I'm wrong about the stuff he carries.

Old 11-07-2005, 05:46 PM
Administrator

Scott was located in maybe the second or third row to the left of the center isle as you entered the floor. He had a great early Red Sox pennant and many photos. I didn't see any cards at his table though. He was just around the corner from a fellow in the center isle who had a straw babe ruth hat, dated 1915 red sox razor and incredible 1903 season ticket for the boston americans priced at $15,000.

greg

where are you located?

Old 11-07-2005, 05:48 PM
Administrator

i'm about 30 minutes south of boston

Old 11-07-2005, 05:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Rhode Island here

Old 11-08-2005, 12:35 PM
Administrator

the show on Friday, spent about 4 hours there, which clearly was not enough time. I wanted to check out the table of the guy with the Ramlys at the center of the right wall, but time ran out before I could reach him. I bought a lot of 30s - 50s cards from a dealer from CO who was great.

I really wish there were more shows like this in the area. I feel like I have to wait for next year to see anything nearly like the breadth and depth of cards I saw at the Shriner. I live about 1 hour south of Boston, near the Cape and RI.

Do any of you guys from the area have any interest in meeting on a monthly/bi-monthly basis to talk cards, show off our wars, perhaps trade, etc...

Let me know!

Dave

Old 11-08-2005, 03:31 PM
Administrator

If someone is going to organize something, I'd be interested. I'm too lazy to do the legwork though, hopefully there is someone interested in doing it. My email is: cmoking@yahoo.com

Old 11-09-2005, 05:42 AM
Administrator

Like I mentioned before, I'm really new to collecting sports memorabilia but have been bitten by the bug pretty bad. I believe the show was sponsored by the Greater Boston Sports Collecting Club, or something to that effect, which meets monthly. I have the application to join it at home. I don't have the website on this computer but can get it. That might be a place to hook up. I too thought the show was great and remember that fellow on the right wall -- problem is the wallet ran dry. I've been collecting pre-war Beer advertsing for years and there are a few clubs in the area where folks meet up. It would be great if there was something for sports collecting as well.

Greg

Old 11-09-2005, 05:55 AM
Administrator

Now that I look at it again, Bob had posted that link just above.

Old 11-09-2005, 02:24 PM
Administrator

is fine, but they are in Boston, and it seems nothing is scheduled for the next few months.

I am proposing a VBC Meeting in SE Massachusetts every month or so. We can bring cards to show off, trade, etc.

Interested?

Dave
dyoken@fastmail.fm

Old 11-09-2005, 11:57 PM
Administrator

I hate you guys! Where are all of the VBC people in the South ... looking at the member map..there isn't much i can do.

Regards,

Black Sox Fan

email me

Old 11-10-2005, 07:17 AM
Administrator

Dave, this sounds like it could be fun if there were enough people interested.

Unfortunately, I have no material for sale or trade as I just started out in the hobby, but would be interested in meeting others in this forum and seeing their collections.

Of course, if anyone was interested in seeing a large room filled with pre-war beer advertising, I'm the guy to talk to <g>. My Red Sox collection is pretty small, although I do have a few nice pieces.

Greg

Old 11-10-2005, 12:11 PM
Administrator

You're in Needham, right? I am trying to figure out a central location for all of us. Does Taunton sound good? It is about 25 minutes from me, 25 minutes from Milton, Needham, Providence (maybe a few minutes more)..., etc...

And maybe we can have the meeting at your house sometime if you want to show off your beer advertising (Beer, the nectar of the Gods, of course!)

Dave

Old 11-10-2005, 02:15 PM
Administrator

Dave, I'm actually in Glocester, RI. Not really all that far away from any of the towns you mention. Just off Route 295 off 95.

Of course, there is nothing more natural than beer and baseball. If I finally get off my fat behind, I have something in the works on that.

Greg