NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-15-2002, 01:12 PM
Administrator

Default ..and a Partridge in a pear Tree.

Posted By: Julie Vognar

I LOVE card shows--more, even than winning an auction.
Mark--and Glen Van Aken, who was there like me checking out the authenticity of something he'd got elsewhere with Mark--both thought my Ewing was awsome, because the picture's so great. Mark says "strong vg-ex, or weak ex." It was fun talking to Glen. He seems to have read everything I've posted! He'd won a big silk of jennings dancing on ebay, and mark pronounced it echt (real).

Bought: a mint Fan Craze Ned Hanlon (wearing a suit, like the other managers in the Fan Craze sets), a Red Border Colgan's Flick, a common Tin Top Colgan's (name of Wilhelm), best of all, a full page Harper's Weekly woodblack print 1885 Portraits of 12 baaseball stars, 5 of whom are HOF. Radbourne looks himself, except he started out thin, didn't he? Ewing looks NOTHING like his photo-- fair hair, wide light eyes, no prominent cheekbones--I had to ask if it was really him. O"Rourke has the curly-top hair, and John Ward is taken from the same photograph they used again in 1895 for the Mayos. Another guy who looks COMPLETELY different from his photos is King kelly. He looks about 18, fair haired, and not especially gorgeous. They all have moustaches, which they've trimmed for very special psychological effects. Radbourne's goes down, down, down; Ward's comes up on the ends, making him look cheerful. 13"x 16"--what will i keep it in?

I only owe Mark $150. Spent 1150, including--

Also spent time talking to a Japanese guy, who had some 1884 Lawry's (game?)(I can't find the set in the 2002 guide--the one I'd seen before is four legs running in a kind of swastika in the center. There's also a card with 9 baseballs on it--it took 9 balls to walk. Maybe I'm spelling it wrong? Who, me?) cards. I bought the catcher. They go both ways from the middle; the catcher is wearing a few wires in front of his face, held on by thin straps behind his head. His hands are bare. He's dressed in red. The back of the card is done in various shades or Chocolate brown--a scene of a baseball game, with the catcher just hunched over a little--how did they manage to CATCH anything? He was amazed that I knew anything about Japanese cards,. and was interested in anything but Americans who had played in Japan.

Everybody offers you a few bucks off the price written on the item. Without being asked.

Elliot--I forwarded your message this morning; didn't get to the computer late Fri. night or all day Saturday.

I'm hearing from several people that the Seattle-Tacoma show is not too long on vintage stuff. Maybe won't go. The National is out--I can either pay off credit cards or pay off Bob, in addition to the things I HAve to pay. Unless second disbursement of money before sale of house comes like right away. Then I'd be, like Thurber said, "sitting in the cat bird's seat."

Old 07-15-2002, 01:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay berhens

the reason teh catchers had not mitts is that in the era of 9 balls to walk, pitchers basically threw sidearm. Add in teh fact that balls were not wound as tightly back then, and there is not a real need for a padded glove to catch the ball.

On an interesting sidenote, George Gore drew 102 walks in 1886 when it took 7 balls to walk.

Jay

Old 07-15-2002, 03:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: scott (runscott)

--------------------------------------------
Disclaimer
I apologize for any poor grammer, repetitions, or dangling participles that you may locate in the above post...it ain't about grammar nohows.

Old 07-16-2002, 08:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Eric Angyal

Can you please contact me at either

eangyal@bbcm.com

or

angyale@att.net

I have a question about your red border Flick Colgans Chip.

Eric Angyal

Old 07-17-2002, 04:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dr.Richard Koos

...every YEAR, and THAT was in the 1950s!!! But that's still a far cry from Kirk Gibson, who used to tear up every tendon in his BODY, every GAME he played!

Old 07-17-2002, 09:21 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brueso

Sounds long on high end vintage stuff- which I like to even just see even if I can't afford it.

Also, Julie, I'm planning a trip to the Bay Area in September- are there any San Francisco/Oakland stores you would recommend?

Old 07-17-2002, 12:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Glen V

The show was in St. Leander's church, just east of the San Leandro BART station south of Oakland.
It is a yearly show and one of the few Mark Macrae does.

It was a pleasure meeting Julie. Her SF Hess Ewing is beautiful, maybe she will post a picture sometime.
Mark & Julie are both wonderful people, I felt like Allen Iverson standing between the Pope & Mother Teresa.

Stevens Creek Sports Cards - 3220 Stevens Creek, San Jose carries some nice stuff. Last time I
was there they had Allen & Ginters and Goodwin cards, and a number of other vintage cards.

Old 07-18-2002, 06:45 PM
Administrator

Dennis King, who now has an art gallery on Oxford street in Berkeley (King's Gallery?), still has some goodies in the basement--which he well may.

Davesdougout is all pretty new stuff, sometimes '30s stuff;

Mark Macrae has two shows this year; the next will be Thanksgiving weekend. This last show wqs missing some of the regulars; I actually only bought from Mark and a Japanese guy. The regulars should be back in November.

Old 07-19-2002, 08:40 PM
Administrator

Bob just spent 3 hours sending a scan email...
Glen= found out who Iverson is (from you, Mark and Bob). Do you play basketball that well?

(I think i posted a few weeks ago thast the Golden State Warriors had completely killed the interest I used to have in watching basketball.))