NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-22-2018, 06:10 AM
Kev1n @1les

Default Personal Safety

I woke up very early this morning after not being able to sleep. As I have ventured back into collecting for the past 5.5 years, the purchases have added up over time.

I live in a pretty nice neighborhood. The average income is probably 3x-5x the national average and the homes are commensurate to this income level. We have occasional teenage vandals, but no issues with theft or break-ins.

While I have enjoyed my collecting journey and do not want it to end, I also do not want to put my family at risk.

At the same time, if I would have to keep the collection off site, that would be a bummer as well. The joy that i receive my from my collection is looking at it, touching it, smelling it, showing it to friends. I am basically a 10 year old kid and these were the cards that I looked at in the display cases and was told to move my hands so that I didn't get fingerprints on them. If I can't enjoy them, then my collection is no better than another part of my investment portfolio that sits at another location as well.

I am not sure why this suddenly overwhelmed me this morning. I am obviously being vague with storage details, but I would love any feedback (in terms you can explain or PM) that helps you to alleviate any concerns so that you are able to feel safe while still enjoying your collection.

53-55 Red Mans Complete Set

Last edited by kailes2872; 04-22-2018 at 07:23 AM.
Old 04-22-2018, 06:16 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

When I had more into my collection than I should have I kept most of it in a Bank Safe Deposit box that was just a few miles away. I had 99% of my stuff online so I could see it all of the time. And every few weeks or so I would go down and play with them for a few hours. I always felt safe doing it that way. I couldn't have afforded to lose it all. I am too old to start over >
Old 04-22-2018, 06:18 AM
Sam Lemoine

I have my sets in binders on display on a bookcase. But, my nicer graded cards are elsewhere in a nondescript box. You could put your best cards in a cereal box in the pantry or a shoe box in your wife's closet, or anywhere if you want to keep them on site. I assume you have an alarm system, so this limits the amount of time thrives have. If they can't find them, they can't steal them. And if they do, you know it was someone you showed your stuff to.
Old 04-22-2018, 06:50 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Luckily, we cardboard collectors are not as obvious as targets as those who may collect more liquid items. Most thieves look for items they can convert to easy cash like electronics and silverware.

I'm not saying the risk of having high-dollar cards on site is non-existent. I just feel that common sense precautions are 'usually' enough.

I keep my high-dollar cards in fire-proof safes covered from view. While Leon uses his safe deposit box to hold his, I prefer to keep mine closer. Of course, I live in a gated community and am not a well-known collector.

I do have images of some of my favorite cards on this forum, so I don't have to expose those cards very often.

Like Leon, however, I do like to get them out and 'play with them' occasionally and feel like that is an essential part of ownership.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 04-22-2018, 06:54 AM
Chris

I live in a similar neighborhood. I keep most of my stuff in safes. To prevent anyone from even considering entering my home though, I have security cameras (both interior and exterior) and an alarm system. It cost me about $1000 for the cameras (Arlo) and $750 for the security system (Simplisafe). Fortunately, both systems are designed so you can install them yourself, my city reimbursed me for half the cost of the security cameras, I get a discount on my home owner's insurance from having the alarm, and the alarm system is the only thing with a monthly fee and it's pretty reasonable (~$15).

I am confident no one could get my cards if they entered my home, but the added layer of protection, and the signs warning about it, make me rest a little more comfortably. Most of our break ins are teenagers from the local high school looking for electronics, and those kids will likely choose a neighbors house.

Last edited by Bestdj777; 04-22-2018 at 09:02 AM.
Old 04-22-2018, 07:17 AM
St@n Go.len

Fire proof Safe. (I worry more about fire) Closet. Dog. Gun. Not necessarily in that order.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Old 04-22-2018, 07:33 AM
Paul

Anything of value is in my safe deposit box as well. You never know who may try to nick your priceless treasures. When I was a kid we got burgled by a “friend” of one of my stepbrothers who took a shine to some of the jewelry and other valuables in the house. I learned a valuable lesson - pun intended!

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206

Last edited by T206Collector; 04-22-2018 at 07:10 PM.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:18 AM
Harrison

Like milkshake said...a fireproof safe, a dog, and a .44.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:31 AM
Joshua

Although I live in a good area with a crime rate among the lowest in the city, I am 15 minutes away from an adjacent city among the highest. The burglaries in my neighborhood are all transient crimes, especially given the contrast in neighborhoods.

I had a neighbor whose housekeeper stole a couple hundred grand in gold and antiques because they cased her joint while cleaning and knew when she wasn’t at home. Poor lady was widowed and an antiques dealer, which left her broke.

That said, my wife doesn’t work and always home with the kids. Which concerns me more than my cards. In this case, a bolted safe for my valuables susceptible to common theft and a safety deposit box for my higher dollar stuff that could put my family in danger. For those not with me, I take a picture of them as Leon suggested.

Works for me. Allows me to look at my cards while also knowing there isnt anything too big in my house.

Last edited by joshuanip; 04-22-2018 at 08:32 AM.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:56 AM
Kev1n @1les

Quote:
That said, my wife doesn’t work and always home with the kids. Which concerns me more than my cards
This

I could handle the loss and use milkshake’s advice (although my wife wants to get a Yorkie and I am not sure that helps much). I’ll take my chances when I am home. But the family is always on my mind.

Thanks for the feedback. It had given me a lot of ideas and security measures that I had not considered

53-55 Red Mans Complete Set
Old 04-22-2018, 10:39 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Safe deposit box for the best stuff.

Giant home safe for the next most valuable stuff: http://www.libertysafe.com/safe-fran...afes-ps-6.html

And many of these around your house: https://www.sigsauer.com/store/p320-...full-size.html
Old 04-22-2018, 10:42 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Safe deposit box for the best stuff.

Giant home safe for the next most valuable stuff: http://www.libertysafe.com/safe-fran...afes-ps-6.html

And many of these around your house: https://www.sigsauer.com/store/p320-...full-size.html
Will a sigsauer open the safe if I forget the combination?

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 04-22-2018, 10:53 AM
Joshua

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Not if you leave the gun in the safe...
Old 04-22-2018, 11:05 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuanip View Post
Not if you leave the gun in the safe...
But Jeff said just leave the sigsauers around the house. This conceivably could help the thieves open the safe, so they wouldn’t risk back injury trying to remove it.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 04-22-2018, 12:12 PM

I've solved this problem by not having any high value cards. Seriously though, the thieves really are mostly interested in quick money - so cash, gold, etc. Most people wouldn't know a valuable card if they saw one. My home was burglarized several years ago. My Gold coins were gone but all my cards were layed out neatly by the thieves on the sofa and coffee table like they enjoyed looking at them, but they didn't take any of them.
Old 04-22-2018, 12:17 PM
Frank Evanov

Default Vault

I keep mine in the vault at the bank. They're all pictured on my PSA Registry sets so I can look at them anytime I want. A home safe is just a way for a crook to hold a gun to my daughter's head and demand the combination.
Old 04-22-2018, 12:39 PM
Al Richter

I have an ungraded 52 set with in mid range with both Mantle versions in sheets in binders. Maybe I should take the 52 Reprint set I also have and put it in a binder next to it. Then, if a thief looks them over he will think, " Wow, I am taking the good looking shiny one"
Old 04-22-2018, 12:41 PM
Joshua

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
I have an ungraded 52 set with in mid range with both Mantle versions in sheets in binders. Maybe I should take the 52 Reprint set I also have and put it in a binder next to it. Then, if a thief looks them over he will think, " Wow, I am taking the good looking shiny one"
Al, this should be moved to the divorce poll!
Old 04-22-2018, 12:42 PM

Default Sleep At Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailes2872 View Post
I woke up very early this morning after not being able to sleep. As I have ventured back into collecting for the past 5.5 years, the purchases have added up over time.

I live in a pretty nice neighborhood. The average income is probably 3x-5x the national average and the homes are commensurate to this income level. We have occasional teenage vandals, but no issues with theft or break-ins.

While I have enjoyed my collecting journey and do not want it to end, I also do not want to put my family at risk.

At the same time, if I would have to keep the collection off site, that would be a bummer as well. The joy that i receive my from my collection is looking at it, touching it, smelling it, showing it to friends. I am basically a 10 year old kid and these were the cards that I looked at in the display cases and was told to move my hands so that I didn't get fingerprints on them. If I can't enjoy them, then my collection is no better than another part of my investment portfolio that sits at another location as well.

I am not sure why this suddenly overwhelmed me this morning. I am obviously being vague with storage details, but I would love any feedback (in terms you can explain or PM) that helps you to alleviate any concerns so that you are able to feel safe while still enjoying your collection.
Invest in a “state of the art” alarm system & waterproof/fireproof gunsafe ($2-$3K). Now you can sleep well! 👍
Old 04-22-2018, 12:52 PM
Barry Sloate

For those who are suggesting keeping guns in the house to protect your valuables: you may get robbed when you are not home. A very good safe, or a safe deposit box, is strongly recommended.
Old 04-22-2018, 01:38 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
That said, my wife doesn’t work and always home with the kids.
As a stay at home dad, I can assure you that your wife works plenty. 🙂
Old 04-22-2018, 03:27 PM
Gobucsmagic74

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantlefan View Post
I keep mine in the vault at the bank. They're all pictured on my PSA Registry sets so I can look at them anytime I want. A home safe is just a way for a crook to hold a gun to my daughter's head and demand the combination.
+1. Someone needs to invent a fire/water proof cereal box
Old 04-22-2018, 03:47 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantlefan View Post
As soon as the security alarm goes off, what they will be doing is looking down the barrel of a .357 magnum. I sleep lightly, and in Michigan, at least, a homeowner has every right to plug an intruder in the night.

Regards,

Larry
Old 04-22-2018, 04:01 PM
Joshua

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls7plus View Post
As soon as the security alarm goes off, what they will be doing is looking down the barrel of a .357 magnum. I sleep lightly, and in Michigan, at least, a homeowner has every right to plug an intruder in the night.

Regards,

Larry
I prefer a 9mm. Less recoil, more accurate and less deadly. But also less stopping power. So, yes if you want to plug the intruder, a 357 mag is a beast.

Last edited by joshuanip; 04-22-2018 at 04:01 PM.
Old 04-22-2018, 04:33 PM

First thing is to get insurance on them and then get a fireproof safe that bolts to the floor then a 9mm just for a little extra protection.
Old 04-22-2018, 04:33 PM

Quote:
I prefer a 9mm. Less recoil, more accurate and less deadly. But also less stopping power. So, yes if you want to plug the intruder, a 357 mag is a beast.
9mm hollowbpoints work just fine
Old 04-22-2018, 04:36 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
I've solved this problem by not having any high value cards. Seriously though, the thieves really are mostly interested in quick money - so cash, gold, etc. Most people wouldn't know a valuable card if they saw one. My home was burglarized several years ago. My Gold coins were gone but all my cards were layed out neatly by the thieves on the sofa and coffee table like they enjoyed looking at them, but they didn't take any of them.
I heard a story about 15 years ago about a guy whose house was broken into and robbed back in the '70s. The thief stole some valuables, but didn't touch the T206 Wagner card. Probably didn't know what it was.
Old 04-22-2018, 05:26 PM
Bruce Mattioli

One thing that my late father always stressed was that NEVER EVER let anyone know what you have. Period..
Old 04-22-2018, 05:37 PM
Steve Birmingham

My "security" is having a really big collection that's mostly junk.
Only have a few minutes? Good luck picking the right box. Odds are you get the late 80's Donruss, or the 81 Topps, or the "draft picks" sets....
Old 04-22-2018, 06:41 PM
Ben North

Quote:
No but 1 or 2 $30 magnets will.
Old 04-22-2018, 06:46 PM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
No but 1 or 2 $30 magnets will.
I collect those too!
Old 04-22-2018, 06:48 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
My "security" is having a really big collection that's mostly junk.
Only have a few minutes? Good luck picking the right box. Odds are you get the late 80's Donruss, or the 81 Topps, or the "draft picks" sets....
I have that same type of collection. That and a 90 pound pit bull that barks at everyone. Even if you come to my house daily he will bark at you till you pet him. He is an amazing guard dog because of his bread and his barking. Worst attack dog ever though. One pet and the barking stops and he is your best buddy. If you have a treat he might even show you to the good cards.
Old 04-22-2018, 06:50 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul S View Post
I collect those too!
You collect hockey puck magnets or are you a asset relocation specialist?
Old 04-22-2018, 06:58 PM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
You collect hockey puck magnets or are you a asset relocation specialist?
I'm only interested in magnetic pole reversal - although I've been relocated more than once
Old 04-22-2018, 07:12 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Most thieves will look in the obvious places- bookshelves, closet shelves, freezers, top drawer of a bureau and the such. I use my laundry hamper. It does not hold a lot, but it is good for a decent number of small items. I line mine with a trash bag, but you could also use a regular laundry bag. Put the items on the bottom and put the laundry bag on top. No one would think of going through dirty laundry to look for something. I like the black plastic trash bags. When there is nothing in the hamper you cannot tell there is something in the bottom. That is where I keep my passport and some other items. A small fireproof box will also fit in the bottom. If you have a work bench in the basement it would be easy to built a hidden compartment below the work surface. Hinge a face board for the front and put storage draws behind it. A detached or semi-detached garage will also work for hiding items. People would think you are just working on your car or lawnmower or at workbench.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 04-22-2018, 07:21 PM
Howard Chasser

Default What do you collect Bruce?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmattioli View Post
One thing that my late father always stressed was that NEVER EVER let anyone know what you have. Period..
Old 04-23-2018, 05:41 AM
Bruce Fairchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmattioli View Post
Two years ago I helped my oldest son move from Chicago back to Georgia. He told me of a neighbor that had some nice cars in his garage. We walked over to see a very very nice full size early 60's Dodge drag car. It was immaculate!! The owner didn't want to crank it because he was afraid the wrong person would know he had something worth stealing.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:25 AM

Default Possible Solution....

Get one of those electric fences that shock you if you pass a certain point. Turn it on at night and it should take care of any late night creeps.

Not sure of the legalities? Perhaps Jeff or Peter could give that angle?
Old 04-23-2018, 07:38 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfish View Post
Get one of those electric fences that shock you if you pass a certain point. Turn it on at night and it should take care of any late night creeps.

Not sure of the legalities? Perhaps Jeff or Peter could give that angle?
I have seen people prosecuted for things like that, Toby. I think it's crazy and a thief gets what they get but the law can be tricky (ask any lawyer.)
We actually built a secret room in our house, when it was being built, where we put a 1200 lb jewelers safe (brought in by tow truck). And, that said, I still put my most valuable cards in a bank safe deposit box. All it would have taken is someone knowing what I collect coming to the door with a gun. Then a safe is useless if you value your life.
Old 04-23-2018, 08:13 AM
Arnie

I keep my most valuable cards off site however before I take them away I make a copy of them life-size on good photo paper and that copy goes in my plastic sheets in my albums. You would be amazed at how lifelike the copies are, they look exactly like the card, my card, with every little crease and flaw. Works great!!! This way your cards are safe, but you can still "look" at them.
Old 04-23-2018, 12:12 PM
Mike

At what value does the Safety Deposit Box kick in ? Value a Safe kicks in ?
Old 04-23-2018, 01:04 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
No but it will help a home invasion robbery crew convince you, your wife and your children to open the safe: once they overpower you and get hold of one of the guns, they just put the muzzle to the nearest skull and you open the safe for them.

A safe deposit box for the hard to replace stuff is the way to go. Yeah, it is kind of like visiting your cards in jail, but that's the trade-off. The stuff that can be replaced easily, just insure it and don't sweat it. It's just stuff. If someone breaks in and steals those cards, my insurer pays for them. Or refuses to pay and then eventually pays for my new house with the bad faith judgment I'll nail them for. I'm flexible on that point

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 04-23-2018 at 01:07 PM.
Old 04-23-2018, 02:31 PM

I'm going out on a limb here but my guess is that if some home invader forced his way into my house because he heard I have a safe, he's probably going to be pretty disappointed when he sees its full of baseball cards.
Old 04-23-2018, 02:59 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

It looks like some of you folks on here have been watching too many Clint Eastwood movies lately! If somebody does break into your home, chances are it will probably be empty. Majority of thieves out there do not want any confrontations. In other words, they want to go in, take the stuff, and go out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailes2872 View Post
The joy that i receive my from my collection is looking at it, touching it, smelling it, showing it to friends.
That's a problem right there. When you show off your collection to your friends, then they are going to go out there and tell others (and then those people will tell others). Do you want 200 people to know that you own a valuable collection? Best thing to do is never share it with anyone except for a few very close family members. I always show my cards to my mother.
Old 04-23-2018, 03:14 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

It kind of sucks, but I hesitate sharing with many people for that reason. Don't want to be at a party someday and hear from some dude who heard from someone who heard that I possibly have x, y, and z. "Oh, your into cards. You know who else is....."

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post
It looks like some of you folks on here have been watching too many Clint Eastwood movies lately! If somebody does break into your home, chances are it will probably be empty. Majority of thieves out there do not want any confrontations. In other words, they want to go in, take the stuff, and go out.

That's a problem right there. When you show off your collection to your friends, then they are going to go out there and tell others (and then those people will tell others). Do you want 200 people to know that you own a valuable collection? Best thing to do is never share it with anyone except for a few very close family members. I always show my cards to my mother.
Old 04-25-2018, 10:04 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I think they would just pay you, Adam. No one wants a bad faith judgment lawsuit against them!!
I will reiterate how stress free having a bank safe deposit box is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
No but it will help a home invasion robbery crew convince you, your wife and your children to open the safe: once they overpower you and get hold of one of the guns, they just put the muzzle to the nearest skull and you open the safe for them.

A safe deposit box for the hard to replace stuff is the way to go. Yeah, it is kind of like visiting your cards in jail, but that's the trade-off. The stuff that can be replaced easily, just insure it and don't sweat it. It's just stuff. If someone breaks in and steals those cards, my insurer pays for them. Or refuses to pay and then eventually pays for my new house with the bad faith judgment I'll nail them for. I'm flexible on that point
Old 04-25-2018, 11:24 AM
Bruce Fairchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidethewrapper View Post
I don't have any of what most here would call "high dollar" cards but some are in that category to me . A couple of years ago I asked for insurance quotes for my collection and found that a safe deposit at $120 annually is a much better option for me. True, it will hold only a finite number of cards so I only keep my better ones there.
As for safes I remember that most have a limited length of time protecting it's contents from heat from a fire.
Old 04-25-2018, 11:42 AM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidethewrapper View Post
The safe deposit box kicked in for me when I picked up a T206 Plank. But with the current rise in prices, I would start when I got a Cobb Green.
Old 04-25-2018, 12:16 PM
Al Richter

I was once the executor of an estate where estate papers were in box in a bank vault that flooded. Fortunately when water receded the box in question was above the water line. But half the boxes were flooded for an extended period and all paper items in them destroyed. Fire and earthquakes can be other issues. FDC and banks typically exclude coverage of box contents such that you need separate coverage if you want/need it.

http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geJ...1CbPsLVSWZau8-

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 04-25-2018 at 03:30 PM.
Old 04-25-2018, 03:02 PM
Bruce Fairchild

I wonder if there are statistics as to the number of bank vaults that have suffered fire, flood and/or earthquake damage.
ALR-bishop, thanks for reminding us of the pitfalls with safe deposit boxes.