NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 07-31-2017, 04:15 PM
Rob

Default Not sure how I should feel about this?

So I own this ticket...

image host

Just noticed there's a guy on eBay selling magnets of this exact ticket. Same section, row, seat. He apparently swiped my picture to create them. If you click on his picture, it doesn't even look like a magnet. It looks like my picture. A little annoyed...Not sure if that's all I should be.

If you read his negative feedback, there are complaints about the quality of his product, which I guess explains why he's using my picture and not a picture of his magnet. I know I can report him for that, but what will that accomplish?

Thoughts?
Old 07-31-2017, 04:20 PM
Rob

I would report him. He shouldn't be doing that. Who knows if ebay will care, though...
Old 07-31-2017, 04:37 PM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

I would report him too. Even if eBay does nothing, which is most likely since you did post the picture somewhere for people to see and it is not copyrighted and in the public domain, BUT it is still the principle of the issue that is at the heart of the matter.
If you ask a question of the seller about the item on the eBay listing page will it show on the listing page ? If it does I would ask him why he pirated your picture for his product , and also without your permission .
Old 07-31-2017, 04:54 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

He can use the image to make the magnet-- except perhaps due to the Rams logo--, but shouldn't be allowed to use the picture of your actual ticket for the sale.

Last edited by drcy; 07-31-2017 at 04:58 PM.
Old 07-31-2017, 05:01 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klrdds View Post
If you ask a question of the seller about the item on the eBay listing page will it show on the listing page ?
Only if the seller checks a box for it ebay to do so, which he almost certainly won't if someone is calling him out for swiping their image.
Old 07-31-2017, 05:11 PM
Dan Bretta

Some guy used my photobucket account years ago to sell all kinds of Nebraska Indians items. There is also a guy on ebay right now by the username Skurfan who swipes images from other people's auctions and sells them as "postcard copy". He racks up the negatives for it, but ebay doesn't care...and he continues to list these in the postcard category.
Old 08-04-2017, 05:27 AM
M@rk Lu7z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
So I own this ticket...

image host

Just noticed there's a guy on eBay selling magnets of this exact ticket. Same section, row, seat. He apparently swiped my picture to create them. If you click on his picture, it doesn't even look like a magnet. It looks like my picture. A little annoyed...Not sure if that's all I should be.

If you read his negative feedback, there are complaints about the quality of his product, which I guess explains why he's using my picture and not a picture of his magnet. I know I can report him for that, but what will that accomplish?

Thoughts?
It's an invasion of your privacy, so I understand that you are annoyed. And it seems unethical for a stranger to profit from a photo of something that you own without cutting you in for some of the money. On the other hand, you must have posted the image on the net knowing that almost anything can happen to an image on the net. You probably didn't copyright the image. Was a law broken? What harm have you suffered? If anything, he is making your unique ticket all the more famous (and valuable?). If I were you, I'd demand that he send you a dozen free magnets and let it go at that.
Old 08-04-2017, 06:56 AM
Jim Murphy

as all the artist who post online will tell you add a watermark

also is the picture yours or did you copy it from who you purchased it from?

Last edited by murphusa; 08-04-2017 at 06:58 AM.
Old 08-04-2017, 08:00 AM
Mike

eBay wont care. I have a 2005 NY Jets Team signed football that I posted online showing it off and a seller swiped the pic and argued with me that it was his football. I reported it to eBay. The rep even sided with me but in the end, his (or my) football sold for over 200.00 and the pic stayed up the entire auction.

Mike
Old 08-04-2017, 09:24 AM
Mi.ke Huds*n

I've had a similar issue with photos I've posted on this site being copied to another site. I'm totally cool if a board member copies a photo for their reference (as I've done many times), but not sure when a business site copies pics for their website. Do photos posted here become property of Net54?

https://www.krenbats.com/heritage/
Old 08-04-2017, 09:30 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphusa View Post
as all the artist who post online will tell you add a watermark

also is the picture yours or did you copy it from who you purchased it from?
Yeah...I wasn't really too worried about this happening so never considered the need for a watermark. Even now, I'm annoyed but as mentioned by another, what's the harm. It was my scan I had uploaded to photo bucket years ago and have shared on this forum previously.

The guy admitted that he just did searches on google images to look for cool vintage items to make into magnets. I could be flattered I guess.

In my mind, the "free advertising" I'm getting from this is a double edged sword. While it could make the ticket more popular, it could also make it seem more common. Ehhh...I'm not losing sleep over it.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:31 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesjetsfan View Post
eBay wont care. I have a 2005 NY Jets Team signed football that I posted online showing it off and a seller swiped the pic and argued with me that it was his football. I reported it to eBay. The rep even sided with me but in the end, his (or my) football sold for over 200.00 and the pic stayed up the entire auction.

Mike
I didn't bother to report through eBay. I just messaged him to get the scoop. He was forthcoming. I asked him to use his own pictures going forward. He didn't respond to that but I don't see the item listed any more.
Old 08-04-2017, 01:15 PM
Bob Davies

Perhaps take it a "Imitation is the highest form of flattery", and appreciate someone is jealous of a part of your collection.
Old 08-04-2017, 01:51 PM
Rob

Here's kind of a similar thing....in the early days of ebay, pre-PayPal, I used to enclose my "business card" with every check or money order I sent out. I bought something from this Mike Quick guy. When he later bought something from me, he enclosed his business card. Like you, I didn't know how to feel about it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2017-08-04 03.23.25.jpg (69.2 KB, 115 views)
Old 08-04-2017, 02:29 PM

I have also had similar issues. I would report to eBay.

Minneapolis Millers & St. Paul Saints Game Used Bats, Uniforms & Memorabilia

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...apolis+millers

Uniforms of the American Association of Baseball (1902-1962)

https://net54baseball.com/showthread...58#post2008658

Last edited by Tay1038; 08-04-2017 at 03:14 PM.
Old 08-04-2017, 07:38 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
Here's kind of a similar thing....in the early days of ebay, pre-PayPal, I used to enclose my "business card" with every check or money order I sent out. I bought something from this Mike Quick guy. When he later bought something from me, he enclosed his business card. Like you, I didn't know how to feel about it.
LOL...You've got to be kidding. He couldn't at least try to change it up a bit?

At least he used his own name.
Old 08-04-2017, 07:49 PM
T0dd M@rcum

I would be ticked too and complain. And there's not a thing you can do about it now. But maybe Ebay will take it down.
Old 08-05-2017, 10:44 AM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
Now that is hilarious.