NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 08-06-2017, 12:03 PM
Jeff Lazarus

Default Best way to store a vintage contract

I recently picked up a 1929 Contract of Richard "Cannonball" Redding. It appear like for most of history it has been stored folded. Given its age (and the fact that the paper it is on is not particularly thick) I was wondering whether that was the best way to store it, or stored some other way.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Richard Cannonball Redding Contract 3.jpg (79.5 KB, 221 views)
File Type: jpg Richard Cannonball Redding Contract 1.jpg (79.3 KB, 219 views)

Last edited by Topnotchsy; 08-06-2017 at 12:04 PM.
Old 08-06-2017, 01:43 PM

Hi Jeff,
I believe the answer for me would depend on doing with it in your collection.

If you want to display it where you could look at it, I would consider carefully sliding it open into a one pocket Ultra Pro page. This would be my personal choice. If you're not going to display it, slide it in it's current folded state into a one pocket page with archival white cardboard. The other alternative would be to store it folded in a photo top loader.
Old 08-07-2017, 09:46 PM
Murr the Blurr

I've acquired several boxing contracts over the years, which I store/display in full unfolded length in the single pocket pages of oversized art portfolio albums. The albums can be purchased with colored backboards that accentuate the white paper of the contracts. They're easily stored, and mountable on small tabletop easels.
Old 08-08-2017, 07:47 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Just make sure whatever you use is archival quality and keep it out of sunshine. That way there won't be damage from the environment there might be otherwise. I have my 1930s-1950s Burdick letters in archival quality Ultra Pro pages in a binder.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:32 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

My vote would be to store it the same way it has been stored for 88 years. It looks pretty good to me.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 08-08-2017, 12:27 PM
Fra.nk Rein.stein

I have been staring at that contract for over 10 years on Ebay, glad to see if finally made it to a good home.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:28 PM
Jeff Lazarus

Thanks everyone for the responses. I neglected to mention that it is a little too large to fit into a page-sized holder, and those are the largest soft sleeves that I have. Guess I'll leave it folded for now and see what I can get at an upcoming show...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdmb View Post
I have been staring at that contract for over 10 years on Ebay, glad to see if finally made it to a good home.
Haha, I've been watching it for quite some time before throwing out an offer, and now it has gotten me researching his career and I've already come across some pretty cool stuff (like the fact that in 1929 he Managed and played on the same team as his son, and they often played in the same games together, even pitching in the same game at least a couple of times.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:25 AM

I have not looked at their Website in a while, but a company called Light Impressions sells a wide variety of archival display and storage products. They may have something that will work for you.
Old 08-10-2017, 06:56 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topnotchsy View Post
Thanks everyone for the responses. I neglected to mention that it is a little too large to fit into a page-sized holder, and those are the largest soft sleeves that I have. Guess I'll leave it folded for now and see what I can get at an upcoming show...

Haha, I've been watching it for quite some time before throwing out an offer, and now it has gotten me researching his career and I've already come across some pretty cool stuff (like the fact that in 1929 he Managed and played on the same team as his son, and they often played in the same games together, even pitching in the same game at least a couple of times.
On items too large you can try cutting a side of an archival page and it will slip in. Depending on the size it can work. I have done it to help stuff that is a little bit too big and many times it works, sometimes the item IS too big though. Also, Ultra Pro makes top loaders that are up to HUGE in size. I have a lot of documents too big for other pages in those. An 11x14 would almost certainly work for you AND they are archival quality.

Last edited by Leon; 08-10-2017 at 06:58 AM.