NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-13-2015, 08:27 PM
je.sse @rnot

Default Deleting prices after an item has sold

I've seen this mentioned in a couple threads, and am curious to see what everyone thinks on the subject. It seems at least a few members list a card for sale on the b/s/t, sell it, and then delete the original asking price.

This seems odd to me, especially since it's a public forum. I don't think anyone would expect a seller to list what the card sold for. But why delete the record of the asking price?
Old 08-13-2015, 08:42 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
I've seen this mentioned in a couple threads, and am curious to see what everyone thinks on the subject. It seems at least a few members list a card for sale on the b/s/t, sell it, and then delete the original asking price.

This seems odd to me, especially since it's a public forum. I don't think anyone would expect a seller to list what the card sold for. But why delete the record of the asking price?

right, always thought that was strange , some sellers say you can email them for the sale price but we both know years pass and people leave and don't answer email.. if see price reductions as well before the sale would be good to know that too
Old 08-13-2015, 08:48 PM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

One reason is even if you write sold elsewhere in the listing, you still get offers on sold items if prices remain. I'm speaking from personal experience on both sides.
Old 08-13-2015, 08:51 PM
Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Econteachert205 View Post
One reason is even if you write sold elsewhere in the listing, you still get offers on sold items if prices remain. I'm speaking from personal experience on both sides.
I usually put SOLD and strike through the price but leave it where it can still be seen. I never understood why everyone here deletes prices either. It would help out a lot when looking for comparables later.

Last edited by ZachS; 08-13-2015 at 08:52 PM.
Old 08-13-2015, 09:08 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:

Why is the record of the asking price relevant to you?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-13-2015, 09:10 PM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachS View Post
I usually put SOLD and strike through the price but leave it where it can still be seen. I never understood why everyone here deletes prices either. It would help out a lot when looking for comparables later.

This is a good idea, I just don't know how to do it.
Old 08-13-2015, 09:15 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Why is the record of the asking price relevant to you?
I suppose the asking price isn't relevant to me other than that it can help to see what others are trying to sell cards that I may own or be interested in purchasing.

The practice of deleting the price just seems strange to me, and like I said I was wondering what other members thought.
Old 08-13-2015, 09:30 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I suppose the asking price isn't relevant to me other than that it can help to see what others are trying to sell cards that I may own or be interested in purchasing.

The practice of deleting the price just seems strange to me, and like I said I was wondering what other members thought.
I have never done any price research on 54, I just use VCP. But I'm not sure why people would delete it.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-13-2015, 09:34 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

I have tried to buy some cards on net54 and the seller quotes prices of why a card is priced so high, though I remember seeing the same card for sale for less a few months ago by asking price (so may of sold for even less) on net54 it would be nice to have the info but the asking price was deleted and couldn't reach the guy by email..

more info cant hurt ...all deals are supposed to be fair...
Old 08-13-2015, 09:44 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I have never done any price research on 54, I just use VCP. But I'm not sure why people would delete it.
I use VCP for research as well, but when I see something listed on Net54 that I collect sometimes it's just because I'm curious to see what another member is asking for the card. Ebay and other auction houses don't delete the price when something sells and it seems strange to me that it's common on this site.
Old 08-13-2015, 09:47 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

I think it's deleted out of respect to the purchaser. If he were to later flip or sell the item, he might not want it on the record (or want others to know how much he paid).

Not saying whether it's right or wrong... But I believe that's the primary reason for doing so.

Last edited by perezfan; 08-13-2015 at 09:48 PM.
Old 08-13-2015, 09:50 PM
M.att C H A R L T O N

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
I think it's deleted out of respect to the purchaser. If he were to later flip or sell the item, he might not want it on the record (or want others to know how much he paid).

Not saying whether it's right or wrong... But I believe that's the primary reason for doing so.
+1 exactly why I do it. It isn't anyone's business what someone else pays for a card.
Old 08-13-2015, 10:04 PM
Chris
Ch.ris Pa.rtin

I agree

And it helps me to forget how much I came off my asking price haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post

Last edited by campyfan39; 08-13-2015 at 10:04 PM.
Old 08-13-2015, 10:04 PM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
Quote:
+1 exactly why I do it. It isn't anyone's business what someone else pays for a card.
Maybe not, but it does not seem to me such an invasion of privacy to know what was asked for the card, it being left uncertain whether it sold for that price. And if someone is direct enough to simply post "I'll take it" at a listed price rather than pm or otherwise handle it more discreetly, then it seems to me they're not all that concerned about confidentiality.

I too like to know what was asked,especially with items I do not widely follow. I recognize it may not have actually sold at that price, but I can be pretty sure it did not sell for more.

I only delete the asking price if requested to do so by the buyer (which has never happened). I do not believe any implied courtesy, custom or presumption requires otherwise. My two cents.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 08-13-2015 at 10:07 PM.
Old 08-13-2015, 10:13 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

really not a secret....people know how much you paid for your house...but you worry about what a card costs for 400 dollar.....theres is VCP and ebay out there.

people like to quote past prices...I just don't see how knowing what the asking price is such an invasion of privacy...it helps everyone.....

if people care about sales history when negotiating a card it would make sense......though some sellers like to quote sale history but it doesn't matter..

they can quote one auction from 2 months ago for 1000..but if I show them 4 more for 700 in the past month and they wont care...they still want 1000...so maybe all of it doesn't matter
Old 08-13-2015, 10:40 PM
M.att C H A R L T O N

Default Example

How anyone sells their cards is only their business.

Not a prewar or baseball item but another point to make is this: 1985 Topps FB racks got super hot last month for some reason. I had a box posted for sale that sat forever with no interest. When I sold the box, it was offline for double the price. I didn't mark the $xxx.xx to $old and got flooded with messages from an old post for something I no longer had.
Old 08-13-2015, 10:46 PM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
How anyone sells their cards is only their business.
True in many respects, but in using the b/s/t forum of this website I believe you consent to its terms of use. At this point those have not been defined as relates to this issue and perhaps they never will be, but to the extent the members wish to have their opinions known, here you have it.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 08-13-2015, 11:09 PM
Brian Horne

I remove the sale price because when I started here on net54 I noticed that most of the the people did that. Why stop now...
Old 08-13-2015, 11:22 PM
Luke Lyon

I never understood this either. I always just note that an item is sold and that's it. It's hard to price some of this stuff, and if I just sold something for a concrete amount, why not give that info to people?
Old 08-13-2015, 11:28 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
Maybe not, but it does not seem to me such an invasion of privacy to know what was asked for the card, it being left uncertain whether it sold for that price. And if someone is direct enough to simply post "I'll take it" at a listed price rather than pm or otherwise handle it more discreetly, then it seems to me they're not all that concerned about confidentiality.

I too like to know what was asked,especially with items I do not widely follow. I recognize it may not have actually sold at that price, but I can be pretty sure it did not sell for more.

I only delete the asking price if requested to do so by the buyer (which has never happened). I do not believe any implied courtesy, custom or presumption requires otherwise. My two cents.
+1

This sums up my opinion better than I did.
Old 08-14-2015, 07:12 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by camlov2 View Post
I remove the sale price because when I started here on net54 I noticed that most of the the people did that. Why stop now...
right thats what the men said in the U.S. before women's suffrage...why give woman the right to vote? Why stop now? Never change...yeah that gets us far in life...... why stop letting umpires have the final say on plays and use instant replay? Yeah change NEVER happens...

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 08-14-2015 at 07:13 AM.
Old 08-14-2015, 07:17 AM

I remove the price because I want people to know it's not available. If I just write sold and leave the price, someone will ignore wherever I put sold. It happened to me a bunch of times, so I started taking the price out. Hasn't happened since.
Old 08-14-2015, 07:23 AM
Gobucsmagic74

I delete asking/sale price because it's my prerogative to do so. I've also been asked by buyers to delete the price, which is a non-issue because I delete them anyway.
Old 08-14-2015, 07:27 AM
M.att C H A R L T O N

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
right thats what the men said in the U.S. before women's suffrage...why give woman the right to vote? Why stop now? Never change...yeah that gets us far in life...... why stop letting umpires have the final say on plays and use instant replay? Yeah change NEVER happens...
Yeah. That makes sense. Comparing how some one choses to sell their items to being anti-women. Why stop there? Why not compare us to Germany? Or are we more like the people that just stood around and did nothing during the civil rights movement? No, wait... We are Tzarist and we are oppressing the people with our tactics.

Last edited by Laxcat; 08-14-2015 at 07:27 AM.
Old 08-14-2015, 07:34 AM
pete ullman

I have sold cards here on the bst in the past at apparently prices that were too low. I did my research...thought about what I paid and what they were worth and set my prices.

Dealing with many members scolding me for selling too low caused me to start deleting my sold item prices. It's nobody's business what I choose to sell my cards for...so there!!!!
Old 08-14-2015, 07:39 AM
Brendan Mullen

I can certainly understand both sides, however I wish the prices were not deleted and stayed visible.
Old 08-14-2015, 07:42 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
I have sold cards here on the bst in the past at apparently prices that were too low. I did my research...thought about what I paid and what they were worth and set my prices.

Dealing with many members scolding me for selling too low caused me to start deleting my sold item prices. It's nobody's business what I choose to sell my cards for...so there!!!!
People can do what they want...the point is we are making is its not bad to post the selling prices or against any privacy...its good for the hobby as whole.....at least better for the hobby then not posting them..transparency is never a bad thing..

again anyone can do what they want...but we are just making some suggestions....some posters didnt realize you could put a line through the sale price if its sold...they orignally were worried that buyers would still think the card was for sale if they didnt delete it...so that problem solved.....it just the asking price...,..i actually surprised that there is support..when i first brought it up all the posts were negative against the point.

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 08-14-2015 at 07:43 AM.
Old 08-14-2015, 07:44 AM
M.att C H A R L T O N

For some variety: another example.

This happens on eBay quite frequently.

You sell item for $xx.xx. Person who is not purchaser sends you message that they will pay more for the item than the winner, if you cancel the transaction. That is some of the most horse**** behavior I have ever witnessed. It has happened to me and I know from reading that it has happened to some of yall. These tactics have been tried on me by members of many forums including this one. There is no malice or spite in the reason that I delete my prices. I do so for the buyers sake and mine.

Just another reason I delete the price on the BST here.
Old 08-14-2015, 07:46 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laxcat View Post
For some variety: another example.

This happens on eBay quite frequently.

You sell item for $xx.xx. Person who is not purchaser sends you message that they will pay more for the item than the winner, if you cancel the transaction. That is some of the most horse**** behavior I have ever witnessed. It has happened to me and I know from reading that it has happened to some of yall. These tactics have been tried on me by members of many forums including this one. There is no malice or spite in the reason that I delete my prices. I do so for the buyers sake and mine.

Just another reason I delete the price on the BST here.

Easy to wait for card to be shipped then post asking price...so cant back out of the deal for more money..problem solved..
Old 08-14-2015, 07:49 AM
M.att C H A R L T O N

Quote:
People can do what they want...the point is we are making is its not bad to post the selling prices or against any privacy...its good for the hobby as whole.....at least better for the hobby then not posting them..transparency is never a bad thing..

again anyone can do what they want...but we are just making some suggestions....some posters didnt realize you could put a line through the sale price if its sold...they orignally were worried that buyers would still think the card was for sale if they didnt delete it...so that problem solved.....it just the asking price...,..i actually surprised that there is support..when i first brought it up all the posts were negative against the point.

Maybe the difference is between collector and flipper.
Old 08-14-2015, 07:57 AM
Bob Donaldson

A big thanks to all who leave the selling prices after the sale has been completed.
Old 08-14-2015, 08:04 AM
M.att C H A R L T O N

I have no problem if the buyer wants to post the price in the replies and broadcast what s/he paid.

That has happened exactly zero times.
Old 08-14-2015, 08:07 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Maybe the difference is between collector and flipper.

Buyers dont care what a seller paid for a card....i never understood in a negotiation when a seller says how much they paid as a reason why they need more on a card...people pay what they feel it is worth....markets go up and down..

People can see cards on VCP as well...so buyers should assume that all cards bougth in private forum were sold for less than VCP average...otherwise the seller would use the old 'i would lose money on the card if dont get my price'.....
Old 08-14-2015, 08:13 AM
Chr!$ "Bubba" L@mb

I've bought at least 50 items on the B/S/T and never once asked the seller to delete the sale price. I pay what I am comfortable paying and move on.
Old 08-14-2015, 08:15 AM
M.att C H A R L T O N

So I'm guessing that when you go to a show that you walk up to a dealer and ask them what they have sold and how much they got for it?

OT: but who am I kidding. I'm the fool for trying to argue with someone that thinks hitting for the cycle is no big deal. How far removed from the actual enjoyment of the sport and the history of the players do you have to be?

Also a part of me feels that you like to stir stuff up for no other reason than you can. I'm sorry if that feels like a personal attack.

Matthew Charlton
Old 08-14-2015, 08:23 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Sounds like another "Who should leave feedback first" debate (see other thread). I bet some buyers and sellers would prefer the sales price to not be public, and would say the sale is between the buyer and seller not a public service . In fact I'm certain many buyers would ask their buy price be kept between them and the seller, and complain if a seller posted the sales price, saying it's no one else's business what they pay. A lot of people consider it private information, or would prefer it be private, what they pay for things-- and a seller is normally going to defer to the customer on such matters.

In short, whatever method (leave it, post it, delete it), someone's going not going to like it. You can't please everyone. Some people like that you can look easily look up house prices easily on Zillow, while many home owners complain that any Tom, Dick or Harry can look up the value of their home.

Last edited by drcy; 08-14-2015 at 08:43 AM.
Old 08-14-2015, 08:44 AM
M.att C H A R L T O N

Quote:
Buyers dont care what a seller paid for a card....i never understood in a negotiation when a seller says how much they paid as a reason why they need more on a card...people pay what they feel it is worth....markets go up and down..

People can see cards on VCP as well...so buyers should assume that all cards bougth in private forum were sold for less than VCP average...otherwise the seller would use the old 'i would lose money on the card if dont get my price'.....
One last thing. Actually a couple.

Why do you assume that all sales in a private forum are under VCP? Why is VCP the holy grail of "pricing"?

It seems to be a fairly easy system to manipulate.

EX: someone has been hoarding Gem mint 196x Topps Johnny Cupo'coffee. They then conspire to inflate the price of said card through false sales on EBay and AH's.
Doesn't VCP track these sales and this increase the price of the card? All of a sudden Mr. Cupo'coffee's card goes from $X to $X^2.
Old 08-14-2015, 08:46 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
Sounds like another "Who should leave feedback first" debate (see other thread). I bet some buyers and sellers would prefer the sales price to not be public, and would say the sale is between the buyer and seller not a public service . In fact I'm certain many buyers would ask their buy price be kept between them and the seller, and complain if a seller posted the sales price, saying it's no one else's business what they pay. A lot of people consider it private information, or would prefer it be private, what they pay for things-- and a seller is normally going to defer to the customer on such matters.

In short, whatever method (leave it, post it, delete it), someone's going not going to like it. Some people like that you can look easily look up house prices easily on Zillow, while many home owners complain that any Tom, Dick or Harry can look up the value of their home.
We not asking for them to put the sales price...we are asking them to put their 'asking price' at the time the card was sold so its already public.....I already made the point about houses........its public about when you are making the most important purchase in your lifetime representing the biggest purchase...that's public..but buy a 200 dollar card...secret secret even just for the asking price...

to the OP, I don't ask what a dealer bought the cards for ever.....they seem to always offer up that information when they are asking more than VCP, ebay past sales etc...if they could point to net54 asking prices being higher than all of that, now that would be different!!!

in the end I don't care what the sellers bought the card for....but they seem to want to tell me that.(they may not say exact amount, they say 'I will already lose money on this card, 'I trying to break even")..I cant be the only one in that situation..

laxcat: I am presenting items for discussion...a lot of people seem to agree with me on issues..so its not like I am the only one....there may be people now that leave the asking price now...how is that a bad thing especially if another poster on this forum likes that....'if I can help just one poster'...

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 08-14-2015 at 08:49 AM.
Old 08-14-2015, 08:51 AM
Bob Donaldson

Regarding the VCP argument (just look prices in VCP). Remember, VCP only deals with graded cards. Most cards on B/S/T are raw.
Old 08-14-2015, 08:53 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by obcbobd View Post
Regarding the VCP argument (just look prices in VCP). Remember, VCP only deals with graded cards. Most cards on B/S/T are raw.
I agree with you about raw cards...I don't follow the VCP as a bible either..

but I have seen sellers that quote a recent sale that's 40% higher than the past 4 cards at the bible..and you cant argue that sellers use VCP as a method of negotiation...

also buyers use VCP...when I sold the two PSA 4 Green cobbs the past few months (I think I left off the asking price as well)..I had buyers quote SMR...then they would say I was asking waaay more than VCP...when I tried to talk about past private sales..they would claim ignorance...even when one of the private sales was mine on this forum.........so yeah I don't go by VCP as end all be all...but the point on VCP is it does show some sale prices... VCP doesn't delete the price every card allegedly sold for is what im getting at...

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 08-14-2015 at 09:01 AM.
Old 08-14-2015, 08:56 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
One last thing. Actually a couple.

Why do you assume that all sales in a private forum are under VCP? Why is VCP the holy grail of "pricing"?

It seems to be a fairly easy system to manipulate.

EX: someone has been hoarding Gem mint 196x Topps Johnny Cupo'coffee. They then conspire to inflate the price of said card through false sales on EBay and AH's.
Doesn't VCP track these sales and this increase the price of the card? All of a sudden Mr. Cupo'coffee's card goes from $X to $X^2.

Right I agree.. you can have your friend 'buy a card' from you as well...lots of ways to fake sale prices..

another way to fake inflate sale prices is to not be transparent....I can say I bought the card from a net54 member for $5000....but when you check the original listing the asking price was $4000......but if its deleted nobody would know...assuming the seller cant be reached by email or not respond..

if you are so worried about price manipulation than I think you would be in favor of transparency and seeing the asking prices...because how dare we even consider putting the sale price like ebay does on auctions...
Old 08-14-2015, 08:59 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

As a longtime collector/seller, my habit was never to reveal what I paid for something and my preference for no one to know what I paid, and it's always been my assumption most many collectors have similar sentiments. If you asked me yesterday, I would have assumed many collectors would consider it poor manners or being a show off to leave sales prices posted forever on a public forum.

Last edited by drcy; 08-14-2015 at 09:20 AM.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:02 AM
Gobucsmagic74

What information is gleaned from knowing a seller's asking price in a BST thread? That's akin to knowing an ebay seller's buy it now price when they allow for, and eventually accept a "best offer". Seems like meaningless information to me, unless it is somehow confirmed that a buyer paid that amount for the card (which would require disclosure by the buyer or seller after the fact) it doesn't help establish market value in any way, shape, or form.

Last edited by Gobucsmagic74; 08-14-2015 at 09:03 AM.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:03 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
As a longtime collector/seller, my habit was never to reveal what I paid for something and my preference for no one to know what I paid, and it's always been my assumption most many collectors have similar sentiments. If you asked me yesterday, I would have assumed many would collectors would consider it poor manners or being a show off to leave sales prices posted forever on a public forum.
no one would know what you paid...unlike every other Auction house on the planet.....they would know the 'asking price' though that was already made public......

am I missing something here? why all these arguments about what the card sold for versus asking price?
Old 08-14-2015, 09:03 AM
M.att C H A R L T O N

Cheese and crackers.

I still fail to see how it is any of your business what someone paid for something. Do you walk up to people that you meet and ask them how much they make? How much the car they drive cost?

I'm curious, in your $5000 to $4000 example, is the theoretical card one for a collection or to be resold? If it is for your collection and you want it then buy it. If it is to be flipped then I have this to ask.

Are you the only person that is allowed to make money off of a card they bought?

In response to your "helping one poster" comment: so am I.

Last edited by Laxcat; 08-14-2015 at 09:05 AM.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:05 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobucsmagic74 View Post
What information is gleaned from knowing a seller's asking price in a BST thread? That's akin to knowing an ebay seller's buy it now price when they allow for, and eventually accept a "best offer". Seems like meaningless information to me, unless it is somehow confirmed that a buyer paid that amount for the card (which would require disclosure by the buyer or seller after the fact).
more information is gleamed than knowing absolutely zero.......we would at least know the Max amount that could of been paid at that time...plus if its not a big deal than why delete it....might as well leave it up...sometimes there are price reductions as well...so having the lowest asking price still there would give some information....what the information means and what to do with it who knows....its just better than zero...

people can do what they want..i just don't see how is crazy on leaving the asking price more if people choose to do that...its not betraying any confidence..

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 08-14-2015 at 09:13 AM.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:10 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Cheese and crackers.

I still fail to see how it is any of your business what someone paid for something. Do you walk up to people that you meet and ask them how much they make? How much the car they drive cost?

I'm curious, in your $5000 to $4000 example, is the theoretical card one for a collection or to be resold? If it is for your collection and you want it then buy it. If it is to be flipped then I have this to ask.

Are you the only person that is allowed to make money off of a card they bought?

In response to your "helping one poster" comment: so am I.

did you read the posts? I never ask that the person paid for it....they tell me as a way to negotiate....it doesn't matter what you do with the card...

also we are talking about asking price..not what the card sold for (though ebay tells everyone)

it not important about why a card is bought...I don't care what a person does with the card......I also told you I don't care what sellers paid for the card...

..I like to pay market price..thats what I like to pay and that's the purpose of me buying cards.. ..I buy many cards from dealers on net54

.its good that you like to help posters..so do I...so we are both helping the world...congrats..

People who now say 'but why put what the card sold for? the buyers don't like that' 'do you ask dealers how much you pay for their cards before negotiating'

I think everyone will know my responses now...

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 08-14-2015 at 09:20 AM.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:10 AM
M.att C H A R L T O N

Quote:
As a longtime collector/seller, my habit was never to reveal what I paid for something and my preference for no one to know what I paid, and it's always been my assumption most many collectors have similar sentiments. If you asked me yesterday, I would have assumed many would collectors would consider it poor manners or being a show off to leave sales prices posted forever on a public forum.

Agree with it or not and I'm not saying that it's right or wrong, but my personal default is private sale/private information. I was raised that it's tacky to telegraph what you paid for everything, so that's in my hard wired psychology.

For the record, I sell no cards-- or hardly anything-- on B/S/T, so my posts are largely academic and moot as far as my data goes.
Agreed. I truly dislike that people can see what I have purchased and paid for it on eBay.
Tacky is the word that comes to mind. I couldn't find the right word earlier.

Last edited by Laxcat; 08-14-2015 at 09:10 AM.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:13 AM
Gobucsmagic74

Quote:
more information is gleamed than knowing absolutely zero.......we would at least know the Max amount that could of been paid at that time...plus if its not a big deal than why delete it....might as well leave it up...sometimes there are price reductions as well...so having the lowest asking price still there would give some information....what the information means and what to do with it who knows....its just better than zero...
So if I offer a card on BST for sale for $100 and someone offers me $80 which I agree to sell it for, how does it help the card collecting community to know that the card is sold $100? Wouldn't that in fact be misleading information, unless I came back and edited the price to what it actually sold for? My point is the asking price provides no relevant information unless it the actual realized price, and that information IMO is no one's business.

Last edited by Gobucsmagic74; 08-14-2015 at 09:19 AM.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:19 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobucsmagic74 View Post
So if I offer card on BST for sale for $100 and someone offers me $80 which I agree to sell it for, how does it help the card collecting community to know that the card is sold $100. Wouldn't that in fact be misleading information, unless I came back and edited the price to what it actually sold for?
Nope...I think people know the difference between Asking price and what a price sold for....they could be the same..but could be not.......we would know the max paid for it was $100 though...card prices go up and down from that point on but we will know the asking price on that date ...

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 08-14-2015 at 09:21 AM.