NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-15-2015, 12:46 AM
Ken McMillan

Default T207 Napoleon backs from 1912

this has probably been hashed over before but is there a premium on T207 Napoleon backs? They seem fairly rare compared to the typical Recruit backs, and less common than Broadleaf and anonymous backs. Does anyone have some type of system for determining the value of the different T207 backs? Thanks,

Kmac
Old 08-15-2015, 04:55 PM
Robert A

Hi Ken,

They're pretty tough to find. You'll find them with the same subjects as the recruits which is in my opinion one of the reasons why they're not as valuable as the other class of backs.

There's no system for value, but it's a good time to collect them.

Rob
Old 08-15-2015, 06:14 PM
Mike

Default What Rob said

Hey Ken,

I think Rob pretty much covers it. Previous survey numbers have them as pretty scarce/low-pop, but no one really seems to care ... in the same way that no one gives two hoots for the anonymous back in the Recruit series either. Those are on par difficulty-wise with the Napoleon-backed cards, but since they're all the same fronts, the only people that care are those putting full front/back runs together, either by player or team or position or a type set of backs, or ... whatever.

As for the backs, and valuations... its a tough call, primarily because there's a good bit of variation of difficulty within each class and back. No hard/fast rules
apply, per se. The Broadleaf class cards (Broadleaf, Cycle, Anon 25 backs, and the Anon 3 backs with the same 50 fronts) are harder (generally) than the Recruits, but the difference between, say, Mogridge and Benz in Broadleaf is significant. Cycles command a small premium as has been noted here before, likely due to the color, and (slight) scarcity difference. Within the recruit class, sure, Napoleon-backed cards are more difficult than the Recruits, but you;ll see ones that sit on eBay with BIN for a while, even with a fairly small multiplier for the back.

Whether or not its a good time to collect them or not is another question. Maybe some day, T207's will feel the love, but its been a while. Caertain cards seem to do well, and certain backs have some following, but T207s generally plod along, and there's not any real sign that they'll pick up any time soon. Maybe that means it *is* a good time to buy them, don't know.

Am I pessimistic? Sure thing. After buying as a "collector", thinking about the likely loss when divesting leaves me a little cold... sure won't be going out Gangnam style.

Hey Rob - hope you're well.

--
Mike

Last edited by frohme; 08-15-2015 at 06:20 PM. Reason: finish post
Old 08-15-2015, 07:41 PM
Robert A

Hey Mike,

Yeah, that's what I meant by good time to collect. They seem to be pretty cold right now. It's refreshing to collect a set that's not hot. Too bad I'm not collecting them anymore. When a few of us were accumulating a lot of them of course they were on fire. At this year's national, I did not see any T207s trading. I didn't have that many at my table, but we had a few really nice ones and sold none. Didn't even show any to collectors.

Over the last 15 years or so, I can think of only a couple of folks that have collected Napoleon backs specifically. Always thought it was a good niche though.

Rob
Old 08-15-2015, 08:05 PM
Ken McMillan

reason for the question is I am trying to complete a T207 Cubs subset. I have all 10 cards and now I am going for an example of each of the backs as a type set. Picked up Chance in Napoleon back and seem to have a fair deal but more curious if there was any multiplier on price. The book I have talks about Broadleaf and anon supposedly going for 1.5 times a recruit back but it really did not address the Napoleon backs. Only one missing in my back type set is a Cub with Broadleaf back.
Old 08-15-2015, 08:33 PM
Ⓑⓘⓛⓛ Ⓒⓞⓡⓝⓔⓛⓛ

Agree with the points made by Mike and Rob.

I'm not sure anyone knows for certain if there are also Napoleon backs for each of the 150 cards that can have Recruit backs. My guess would be not. I think there's a subset of harder Recruit backs that aren't found with Napoleons.

As for the multiplier, that's in the eye of the T207 beholder. Say 2-3x what a Recruit would get, maybe. The hardest back of all (other than Red Cross, of course) is the Anon. from Louisiana, but I don't think anyone cares.

Bill
Old 08-15-2015, 09:03 PM
Rob

T207 Napoleon backs are hard to find. I have about 6 or 7 of these and when I see them I am usually outbid on them. Not everyone would pay a premium, but if the T207 collectors see them they go for (as stated above) 2 or 3 times what a Recruit back would go for, sometimes more..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg t207livbiga124.jpg (44.2 KB, 149 views)
File Type: jpg t207livbiganap126.jpg (57.3 KB, 149 views)
File Type: jpg t207olson085.jpg (47.2 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg t207olsonb087.jpg (54.5 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg t207snodgrass086.jpg (47.7 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg t207snodgrassb088.jpg (55.0 KB, 146 views)
Old 08-15-2015, 09:06 PM
Mike

Default Apples vs Apples, too

Hey Ken,

Hard part about the back multipliers like that is there aren't any cards available in both Recruit and Broadleaf, for the multiplier to have any real comparison. A multiplier for Cycle (over Broadleaf) makes sense, or Napoleon (over Recruit), but not for cross-class cards. I think Bill's estimate is allright on average, but there's such a wide disparity on cards within the Broadleaf class it really is a card-by-card call. Check out the (few) threads on the relative difficulty of cards in T207 and you'll see what I mean.

I know the precedence is established with T206 and there aren't any cards with *all* the backs, but there are enough different backs for the same cards for the "multiplier" to make at some (relative) sense in that set. Hard to say that it transfers cleanly, as there are fewer cards and a wide range of prices.

FWIW, I think you picked up the Chance Napoleon at a good price - had watched the card be relisted multiple time with slowly decreasing start/BIN (if I recall), and thought that someone would get a decent deal - glad to hear it was you.

I agree with Bill on the current uncertainty of anyone knowing that they all exist with Napoleon back - though I suspect someone could. My personal take is that all 150 Recruit-class cards are available with a Napoleon back, and will be confirmed ... many have simply been glossed over (pun intended) due to having the same front.

On your task, given that you only have two possible cards w/Broadleaf back (Saier, W. Miller), and both are a PITA ... you have a continuation of your previous fun in trying to complete the team set (congratulations on that, BTW). At least this time, you only need one or the other, not both... unless you want to be masochistic and go for the 32 card front/back Cubs master set:
  • Recruit class - 24 cards - 1 ea of Recruit Fac 240, 606, and Napoleon for 8 players: Chance, Cole, Lennox, McIntire, Needham, Reulbach, Schulte, Tinker
  • Broadleaf class - 8 cards - 1 ea of Broadleaf, Cycle, Anon Fac 25 and Fac 3 for 2 cards: Saier, W. Miller

Here's one to help you out

--
Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11487.jpg (74.5 KB, 143 views)
Old 08-15-2015, 09:37 PM
Ken McMillan

Quote:
Originally Posted by frohme View Post
Hey Ken,

Hard part about the back multipliers like that is there aren't any cards available in both Recruit and Broadleaf, for the multiplier to have any real comparison. A multiplier for Cycle (over Broadleaf) makes sense, or Napoleon (over Recruit), but not for cross-class cards. I think Bill's estimate is allright on average, but there's such a wide disparity on cards within the Broadleaf class it really is a card-by-card call. Check out the (few) threads on the relative difficulty of cards in T207 and you'll see what I mean.

I know the precedence is established with T206 and there aren't any cards with *all* the backs, but there are enough different backs for the same cards for the "multiplier" to make at some (relative) sense in that set. Hard to say that it transfers cleanly, as there are fewer cards and a wide range of prices.

FWIW, I think you picked up the Chance Napoleon at a good price - had watched the card be relisted multiple time with slowly decreasing start/BIN (if I recall), and thought that someone would get a decent deal - glad to hear it was you.

I agree with Bill on the current uncertainty of anyone knowing that they all exist with Napoleon back - though I suspect someone could. My personal take is that all 150 Recruit-class cards are available with a Napoleon back, and will be confirmed ... many have simply been glossed over (pun intended) due to having the same front.

On your task, given that you only have two possible cards w/Broadleaf back (Saier, W. Miller), and both are a PITA ... you have a continuation of your previous fun in trying to complete the team set (congratulations on that, BTW). At least this time, you only need one or the other, not both... unless you want to be masochistic and go for the 32 card front/back Cubs master set:
  • Recruit class - 24 cards - 1 ea of Recruit Fac 240, 606, and Napoleon for 8 players: Chance, Cole, Lennox, McIntire, Needham, Reulbach, Schulte, Tinker
  • Broadleaf class - 8 cards - 1 ea of Broadleaf, Cycle, Anon Fac 25 and Fac 3 for 2 cards: Saier, W. Miller

Here's one to help you out

--
Mike
Beautiful Saier. At least I know what cards to look for. Saier would certainly be more in the budget. Currently I have Saier in red cycle and anonymous. I have Miller in anonymous from the Louisiana find. Don't quite understand why T207 cards are not that popular because they are unique and in their own way beautiful. All of mine are in SGC slabs and they are really fun. Finding a Broadleaf would be easy, the challenge is finding it with a Cub on it. I will probably end this quest when the Cubs do win a World Series.

Last edited by kmac32; 08-15-2015 at 09:39 PM.
Old 08-16-2015, 06:50 AM
Mike

Default T207 appreciation, or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac32 View Post
[...]
Don't quite understand why T207 cards are not that popular because they are unique and in their own way beautiful.
Amen - others have said it more succinctly, but there's a certain haunting beauty to them, especially ones with proper color and registration. It is truly a love/hate thing.

Maybe if more people appreciated them ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac32 View Post
[...]
Finding a Broadleaf would be easy, the challenge is finding it with a Cub on it.
Yep ... PM sent.

--
Mike