NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-22-2003, 10:50 PM
Administrator

Default If you just see one movie this year

Posted By: TBob

you must see Gods and Generals. Forgive this non-vintage card comment Elliot, but this movie is terrific, the best movie I have seen in 2002 or 2003. If Stephen Lang doesn't get an Oscar nomination for his portrayl of Gem Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson, something is wrong. Since a lot of vintage card collectors are also history buffs, I thought I'd drop an unabashed plug. This movie strips the veneer off the revisonist view of the Civil War, North and South, and offers a balanced and true portrayl. If you love historical movies which are well acted and superbly directed, or if you just enjoy good movies, or if you are a Southerner, you have to see this show.
O.K. plug over.

Old 02-22-2003, 11:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: B C Daniels

thee is so much controversy over???

Old 02-22-2003, 11:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: TBob

Probably the most intelligent and innovative of all generals in the war on either side. He became the first Wizard of the KKK then quit after it turned violent. Shelby Foote, probably the most noted Civil War historian of our day, said the Civil War featured/produced two geniuses, Abraham Lincoln and Nathan Bedford Forrest.

Old 02-23-2003, 08:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

you can miss, unless you have to see everything Spacey's in, like i do. Some critic this morning said if you liked jokes about republicans, you might like it. Well, I suppose Texas is run by republicans, but it's the anti-death penalty people that take it on the chin in this movie--by carrying things, shall we say, just a little too far?

Old 02-24-2003, 07:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

After reading Bob's post I immediately went to the theatre to see "Gods and Generals" (great post timing - it was starting in 15 minutes). It was a beautiful day in Atlanta but I figured, two hours for a movie and I can still enjoy two hours of daylight afterward...wrong! At 4:15 the intermission began.

The best thing a movie can have is a good editor - this one didn't. The attention to authenticity was amazing, and if you have any interest in the Civil War you have to see this, despite it's "too much-ness" (never-ending "good-bye" scenes and drawn-out soliloquys). But I would have preferred "The Battle of Fredericksburg" as a 2-hr version of this movie.

Also, I think they should have cut a few of the "singing by the fire" scenes and added a couple of scenes with the soldiers playing a game of baseball!

Anyway, got home in time for a run with the dog at dusk, and watched the ending to "Eight Men Out", followed by "The Natural". Great evening!

Old 02-25-2003, 10:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

relegated to the chick flick "10 days to lose a guy" this weekend. Which, actually was a pretty funny movie. Kate Hudson is hilarious in the movie (not to mention not too difficult on the eyes). Anyway, I'm good for guys night out on Wednesday now........