NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 03-11-2011, 05:50 PM
Shane

Default Anyone with experience with 1960 Topps Tattoos please chime in

I have a complete set of 1960 Topps Tattoos. My question has to do with the "tear" at the top of every one that I have.

I firmly believe that these are factory flaws and not "tears" when the package was opened. The reason I say this is because I have one that has this flaw, but the original paper that overlapped (the bottom that overlapped the top) was still stuck to the back part of the top thus COVERING UP the supposed "tear". To me, that makes it impossible for it to be a "tear", but rather a flaw with the paper before the wrapper was sealed.

Keep in mind that every Tattoo in my set has this flaw at the top. If this flaw were a tear from opening the package, then wouldn't the paper kind of go back together? These don't. It is almost like a "v" shaped opening. Here is a scan below of the particular Tattoo that made me think about this theory. I really and truly believe that EVERYONE in the hobby thinks that this flaw is a tear from opening up the wrapper. I, however, believe that it is a factory flaw.

You may say, "What is the big deal?" The big deal is that every Tattoos that PSA grades gets a low grade. If I could convince PSA that this is a factory flaw, could they not change there grading standards for this issue? If they did, I have some very, very high grade Tattoos in my possession.

Could someone give me an idea of the what the Pop Report says about these? I don't have access at this time.

Here is the scan. Look closely at the top edge. There is no way that this flaw is a rip. Please chime in with your thoughts.

Last edited by frankhardy; 03-14-2011 at 06:41 AM.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:14 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Every last one on ebay has the tear as well.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:45 PM
Shane

Here is more evidence to my theory. This is the Don Newcombe tattoo. Take a look at the top. The sliver that is still attached has been turned 90 degrees. If you turn it down 90 degrees, it fits right into the "v". Now, take a look at the sliver itself very closely. Does that not look like a machine buggered it up? See the "accordion" look to it?

Does anybody agree (or care)?

Old 03-12-2011, 10:28 AM
J@RR0D

That's exactly what it looks like to me, a catch in the machining process.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:49 AM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Assuming this is a factory flaw, I still couldn't imagine changing the grading standards, because then you'd have to grade based on the degree of the factory damage. At best it will change the collector's perspective to understand that a lower grade is as good as it gets.. Just because a 5(just an example) is the highest grade possible, that doesn't mean that those 5's automatically should be given a 10.. This isn't a 1-10 worst to best available scale. If it were then I'd agree, you may have 10's. However, in any grading scale, each number corresponds with a specific grade. Mint is mint, and no matter where the damage occurred, these are not mint. None of 'em.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:05 AM
Eric Shaeffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by novakjr View Post
Assuming this is a factory flaw, I still couldn't imagine changing the grading standards, because then you'd have to grade based on the degree of the factory damage. At best it will change the collector's perspective to understand that a lower grade is as good as it gets.. Just because a 5(just an example) is the highest grade possible, that doesn't mean that those 5's automatically should be given a 10.. This isn't a 1-10 worst to best available scale. If it were then I'd agree, you may have 10's. However, in any grading scale, each number corresponds with a specific grade. Mint is mint, and no matter where the damage occurred, these are not mint. None of 'em.
+1
Old 03-12-2011, 11:29 AM
larry s
larry ser.ota

Default slit 60 tatoo

the slit at the top comes on every 1960 tatoo..it has nothing to do with opening the pack...all you have to do is look inside the unopened packs and you will see the slit
the grade from psa is based on the amount of paper loss at the bottom of the tatoo from opening it up
Old 03-12-2011, 01:24 PM
Shane

So, are you saying that the slit at the top is irrelevent? Meaning you can get a high grade as long as there is no paper loss at the bottom?
Old 03-13-2011, 12:43 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

It looks like every penny wrapper product produced by Topps for about three decades has the tear as well. Shane contacted me a couple of days ago and after I looked at it, it became apparent Topps production methods caused this rip:

http://toppsarchives.blogspot.com/20...ly-ripped.html
Old 03-13-2011, 07:06 PM
Karl Mattson

However, a large number of 1964 tat(t)oos exist without the tear, presumably because they came from some unused stash 20-30 years ago. I've had several over the years, and still have a mint Killebrew (wish I could find a 1960 Killebrew tattoo in comparable shape).
Old 03-13-2011, 07:57 PM
larry s
larry ser.ota

Default tattoos

thats correct some 64 tattoos do not have the slit because they were never wrapped around a piece of gum
they slipped out the back door of topps unused
unless someone steamed open a 1960 tatoo im pretty sure they all have some paper loss at the bottom