NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-27-2006, 10:55 AM
Administrator

Default saying you won't bid in a thread.....or.....

Posted By: leon

Hey Folks,
I want to start a quick thread on what Hal and Jay made a point about in the BL460 thread. I had a similar issue not long ago and want to get something out in the open. I have heard from a few sources, that when the 4 N167's were on ebay, and at first I thought they were not good, and posted as such, that it was some grand scheme I had to get folks to not bid on them. Right. I am going to be able to say something that makes folks that want a card I am looking at not bid on it. If anyone thinks it was a scheme they are just plain wrong. I thought they weren't good at first, still didn't think they were good a short time later, and posted as such. Then I saw people like Andy B, and a few others weigh in, and I changed my mind. Since I had posted the opposite twice, and then went on to say, that with a money back guarantee, and a perfect, highly rated seller, there would be no liability AND I still needed one, it would be easier to just delete what I said. However, after I posted about it twice I should have posted again saying that I changed my mind and DID in fact think they were good. (which they obviously were). I heard squawk again yesterday about it, not from anyone directly, but more behind my back...about my so called scheme. Bullcrap. I only wish I could say something to get folks not to bid. For the record the underbidder, and someone that had major ebay issues and would have won it otherwise, didn't fall for my scheme.....So, Hal, you are correct in saying publicly that you might bid after you say you won't. Otherwise people will be squawking crap again. I would like to hear from anyone that didn't bid on the N167's because of what I said on the board. I am just tired of hearing the sh**. best regards

Old 02-27-2006, 11:10 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Hal Lewis

I'm sorry that people are saying that about you Leon.

I guess the only "safe" thing to do is NOT talk at all about any card that we might bid on.

Old 02-27-2006, 02:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: matt

Give us a link so we can judge you after the fact. aren't cards fun.

Old 02-27-2006, 02:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Hines

Leon,
It is a real shame that you are still getting grief from that purchase. Frankly, if someone had the buying power to compete for those cards I would pray that they were not counting on the opinion's of others to make a call on bidding. I was watching that auction and had considered bidding on some (because I liked them and figured I would return them if they didn't grade) until they went out of my ball park. At the price you paid (bargain or not {it is a matter of opinion}) I don't think any scheme was even helpful. If anyone truely felt cheated or a victim it would only be because they were hoping the cards would sell for some ridiculously low amount ($2500 not $25,000) and just could not compete in the end. I love to read everyone's thoughts on cards here on this site but they are still just opinions. While I value some opinions over others I do not buy or sell (which I almost never do, I just can't part with cards) based on someone else's opinion. I collect what I want and how I want because lets face it, in the end our collections really only need to matter to one person, the one collecting. Conrgats Leon on the purchase of a great card! Who cares what someone else really thinks. You paid your own hard earned money for a card a lot of us can only fantasize about!

Tom

Old 02-27-2006, 02:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Charlie O'Neal

I should point out that I was not interested in the auction.

In general my belief is that if you post an item on the board as being fake while the auction is running and something makes you change your mind you have a responsibility to recant your statement in a timely manner. If you come back and state that you might have been wrong about the card being fake then your off the hook b/c you are being honest and upfront about it and not damaging the auction price. If a reader is interested, then it is his/her responsibility to get all the facts before bidding. With such a high dollar item the buyers that were interested in the item should have contacted the seller anyways to form their own opinion of the card and what the seller would do incase there was a problem.

A $25k card and you don't contact the seller to find out more info. and you are interested in bidding is just plain wreckless.

Old 02-27-2006, 03:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

Not you Leon, or you Hal, specifically; I mean "we" as a group, myself included. The N167 auctions were public events. We are just a few dozen of the who-knows-how-many thousands who collect vintage cards and follow ebay auctions. It sometimes seems like we are the world because so many of us are squeaky enough to get the powers that be to listen, but I don't think anyone here wields the ability to influence the outcome of a public auction. I don't care what anyone thinks of an item that is up for sale; I make my own decisions.

Those who are sniping at Leon or Hal (or anyone else who states an opinion as to a card that everyone has the chance to bid on) have a little growing up to do.

Old 02-27-2006, 05:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anson

I guess if you're going to spend thousands of dollars on a card, you should know what you're bidding on. Even if a board member claims it might not be real or altered, you should know better.

Who would have thought that a vintage card forum could have so much drama. None of us are mistake free and, if anything, we do the best we can. Cut Leon a little slack.

Old 02-27-2006, 06:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

You probably can't influence prospective bidders when you say something is no good unless it is a clear cut fake; however, keep in my mind that if you are wrong you are unfairly hurting a seller, one who is offering the item in good faith. So I think if during the auction you have reason to feel you were wrong, it is your responsibility to correct yourself. If I were the seller, and I knew my lot was good, I would be livid to see it being disparaged in print. I think this board does have quite a bit of influence in the marketplace and a few careless comments may in fact pack a lot of weight.

Old 02-27-2006, 06:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tim James

I took it on the chin commenting on the O'hara card that came up last year.Looking at the scan,my first reaction was "it's fake".The card was won by a board member and subsequently graded.I was quick to say I was wrong.Other than the right handed,"Shemp looking" Ruth card,I've tried to refrain from commenting on active auctions.

Old 02-27-2006, 07:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barry arnold

People who know you know you're no 'schemer' Leon.
The 'squawkers are going to squawk whether you do one thing or another---
doesn't matter to them which; they by nature will just do what they do.

And need I remind you that we're behind you; that's why you are the
moderator dude,or perhaps more appropriately primus inter pares.

all the best,

barry

Old 02-27-2006, 07:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tim James

My regards also !

Old 02-27-2006, 08:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard Masson

They're just baseball cards.

Old 02-28-2006, 12:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: BcDaniels

can I have a few of yours?

Old 02-28-2006, 09:13 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard Masson

Brian,
1981 Donruss Master set is on its way!