NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-09-2014, 08:41 PM
Ben H*ds@n

Default T206 F Stamp

Question for the experts out there. Is this the supposed F Scott Fitzgerald back stamp? It looks slightly different than examples I have seen on this forum. Thanks in advance for your input.
Old 08-09-2014, 09:01 PM
Chris

I am not an expert but this does look a little off. It wouldn't surprise me if it is a modern stamp by someone looking for a little premium.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:52 AM
Ben H*ds@n

Thanks for your input. I ran across the listing yesterday. To be fair, the seller lists the item as graded and having a mark with no F Scott Fitzgerald reference mentioned in the description.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:16 AM
Andrew Hunt00n

The stamp looks consistent with others I have seen. It's actually more complete than the one I have as an example on my website (link below). If the seller didn't mention F. Scott in the description then I doubt he added the stamp to mislead buyers. I would like to have that example for my own collection to be honest.

Thanks,

AndyH

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 08-11-2014, 09:05 AM

Default looks legit....

you might have stumbled on a gem....if it wasn't listed as such....the most seen has been on epdg.....these, I predict will be forged soon, so get them when you can and get them slabbed so they are "time" stamped......

the hobby is split wether these are f. Scotty's or not....I truly believe they are....we are still waiting on the verdict....
Old 08-11-2014, 03:30 PM
Ben H*ds@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvster View Post
you might have stumbled on a gem....if it wasn't listed as such....the most seen has been on epdg.....these, I predict will be forged soon, so get them when you can and get them slabbed so they are "time" stamped......

the hobby is split wether these are f. Scotty's or not....I truly believe they are....we are still waiting on the verdict....
Thank you to everyone for your input. The card is in a PSA slab and I just purchased it on ebay. I have been looking for a F Scott card for some time but once I saw the card, I wasn't certain! lol
Old 08-11-2014, 03:46 PM
D0NN1E B

F Scott Fitzgerald had and stamped his own T206 cards?
Old 08-11-2014, 05:39 PM
Jeff Lowe

Thats why i come to this site . Never know what will show up that is truly amazing .
Old 08-11-2014, 09:17 PM

Default ben....

you did great.....I do fear in the future these will be forged tho

get em now, and get em slabbed
Old 08-12-2014, 12:06 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

No insight on the Fitzgerald connection, but, with a microscope, you can identify stamps made from the same rubber stamp. And ones made later from a different rubber stamp. All printing plates, including rubber stamps, have identifying microscopic 'fingerprints'-- unique microscopic imperfections, marks, shapes, etc. It's a standard forensic technique to match prints from the same printing plates. It's how they proved a letter came from a specific typewriter in the old day mysteries.

Chances are you don't even need a microscope to identify a new F stamp. Just a close look.

But I agree that demonstrating that an 'F' stamp has been around for a while is the simplest way to establish the 'F' stamp is one of the originals. Being able to establish that something has been around for a while (a form of provenance) is usually a good thing these days. One use I see for getting a card graded.

And, as mrvister accurately says, you want to document the existence of your F stamps before a flood of forged stamps come out, not after. It can be as simple as posting a photo to photobucket this afternoon.

Last edited by drcy; 08-12-2014 at 12:20 PM.
Old 08-13-2014, 01:34 PM
Daniel R.

can someone explain the story behind the fitzgerald stamp? ive seen it referenced on here several times, but dont know much background info on it. Thanks
Old 08-13-2014, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drazz5 View Post
can someone explain the story behind the fitzgerald stamp? ive seen it referenced on here several times, but dont know much background info on it. Thanks
We've had a few threads in the past on it. The only old quote with any type of definitive info (if you want to call it that) is this from JC posted back in 2008:
Quote:
Here is the story as it was told to me many years ago. In 1941, the daughter of F. Scott Fitzgerald sold all of his personal belongings at auction in Baltimore. Included in the sale was his boyhood baseball card collection consisting of over a thousand cards. The baseball cards were sold as one lot and the winning bidder was Harold Shigley.

Not only did he win the cards, he was also high bidder on his jewelry, typewriters, some of his furniture and many other items. As a child, Fitzgerald had stamped every card on the back with that black "F".

In the 1960s, Shigley traded away the Fitzgerald cards due to their mostly poor condition. I contacted his grandson a while back and he said the only one he kept was a T206 Jack Knight. Obviously, they have made their way into many different collections since then.
Personally, until I see more proof of these being from Fitzgerald's collection or proof of the previously mentioned Baltimore auction, I think it's a stretch to connect this particular "F" stamp to the famed writer. Not enough concrete evidence exists to convince me these were once F. Scott's cards.

A few past threads discussing the stamp, including the last link in which a collector found the stamp on an Obak:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/15365...ott+Fitzgerald

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=146726

http://ww.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=169794

Last edited by CW; 08-13-2014 at 01:55 PM.
Old 08-13-2014, 02:11 PM
Daniel R.

thanks much appreciated!
Old 03-28-2015, 02:11 PM
Doug Doremus

Default F-stamp--Real or forgery?--

I didn't win this card, didn't bid higher because of the apparently trimmed bottom:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231511394240...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

It looks to be a perfect stamp, maybe too perfect/fresh black ink?

If it's real, I suspect it was a real bargain. Did FScott have trimmed cards in his collection? I know little more about it than what I've read on this and another thread. What does one of these go for, say in untrimmed, Good condition?

I'd like to get one someday.

Last edited by dougscats; 03-28-2015 at 02:28 PM.
Old 03-30-2015, 05:36 AM
Rob G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougscats View Post
I didn't win this card, didn't bid higher because of the apparently trimmed bottom:
Not sure if its been mentioned, but the Fitzgerald "F" looks very similar to the T210-6 Frankfort team "F". Any correlation, or was it just a common stylish "F" font used during that time?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fitz.jpg (74.9 KB, 99 views)