NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-12-2014, 02:33 PM
D@ve R1cks

Default Cooperstown from NYC - worth it?

OK, ignore the thread title. I am sure it is more than worth it.

But, I do have a question, and am hoping for some advice from you northeasterners that are more familiar with the area than I am.

Here's my situation: I am from the western US, my wife really wants to visit NYC because she has never been. We have 3 kids and are pretty busy, so this is a rare escape for us, just my wife and I are going (the kids are staying at Grandma's).

We'll be landing in NYC late Wed night, and will be there until sunday evening. So we have basically 4 complete days. We are staying in Manhattan so we weren't planning on renting a car or anything, just doing things around there. She wants to see the sights, go to a broadway musical, restaurants, shopping, etc. Typical tourist stuff, nothing more than a short vacation with nothing specific really planned yet.

We are going at the end of september - perfect fall weather in the northeast, and I am sure perfect around cooperstown. So I am thinking it would be great if we could get out of the city for just 1 of the days and go to the hall of fame. She's a baseball fan too and would enjoy it, she knows quite a bit about cards, has read baseball books like the glory of our times, so I am sure she would enjoy the trip and not think of it as ruining a day of our vacation or anything.

But my question is, is this even plausible? for a day drip, somehow finding our way out of manhattan on public transit, renting a car in NJ or something, and driving out there? Am I nuts or can this be done? We have booked our flight but no hotels yet, so I guess there is always the option of staying one night somewhere, and coming back to NYC the next day. I dunno. Just kind of thinking out loud here.

If you were on vacation for 4 days in NYC would you see cooperstown as a viable side trip, or is it just too far away and complicated to get to? If so, how would you get there (take what transit out of the city, rent a car where, etc).

Oh, forgot to mention this, as it's probably relevant... It would probably be Saturday that we would go, as I am thinking the traffic/transit might be easier to navigate if it is not a weekday.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Old 08-12-2014, 02:38 PM
D@ve R1cks

1 other question - i am sure it is mostly memorabilia, uniforms, equipment, etc. But what cards are on display there? I know there is a T206 Wagner but anything else?
Old 08-12-2014, 02:38 PM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Quote:
Originally Posted by honus94566 View Post
OK, ignore the thread title. I am sure it is more than worth it.

But, I do have a question, and am hoping for some advice from you northeasterners that are more familiar with the area than I am.

Here's my situation: I am from the western US, my wife really wants to visit NYC because she has never been. We have 3 kids and are pretty busy, so this is a rare escape for us, just my wife and I are going (the kids are staying at Grandma's).

We'll be landing in NYC late Wed night, and will be there until sunday evening. So we have basically 4 complete days. We are staying in Manhattan so we weren't planning on renting a car or anything, just doing things around there. She wants to see the sights, go to a broadway musical, restaurants, shopping, etc. Typical tourist stuff, nothing more than a short vacation with nothing specific really planned yet.

We are going at the end of september - perfect fall weather in the northeast, and I am sure perfect around cooperstown. So I am thinking it would be great if we could get out of the city for just 1 of the days and go to the hall of fame. She's a baseball fan too and would enjoy it, she knows quite a bit about cards, has read baseball books like the glory of our times, so I am sure she would enjoy the trip and not think of it as ruining a day of our vacation or anything.

But my question is, is this even plausible? for a day drip, somehow finding our way out of manhattan on public transit, renting a car in NJ or something, and driving out there? Am I nuts or can this be done? We have booked our flight but no hotels yet, so I guess there is always the option of staying one night somewhere, and coming back to NYC the next day. I dunno. Just kind of thinking out loud here.

If you were on vacation for 4 days in NYC would you see cooperstown as a viable side trip, or is it just too far away and complicated to get to? If so, how would you get there (take what transit out of the city, rent a car where, etc).

Oh, forgot to mention this, as it's probably relevant... It would probably be Saturday that we would go, as I am thinking the traffic/transit might be easier to navigate if it is not a weekday.

Thanks for any suggestions!
It depends.

How much "stuff" do the two of you want to do in NY? The trip to Cooperstown and back will be an all day affair. There is plenty to do and see up there, some good eats for lunch and dinner....so that isn't an issue. But the trip will be 2 1/2-3 hours each way. So if you leave at 7:00 AM you will be there by 10, leave at 7:00 PM back at 10. Definitely a full day affair.

That said, IF (big if) you can see and do what you want in NYC in the remaining time there AND (big and) it would be fun for both of you...I would say go for it.

If you have never been, you kind of have to at some point. I think there is a law or something.

Tom C
Old 08-12-2014, 02:39 PM
pete ullman

for 1 day...communting from nyc...I say not worth it...you'll spend 1/2 the day driving...and won't get to see a whole lot once there. Save it for a multiple day trip.

besides...there is just so much to see and do in the city you will easily fill up 4 days with that.
Old 08-12-2014, 02:40 PM

I would pass on Cooperstown only because you are only going to be in NYC for a very short period of time. I believe Cooperstown is only a few hours North of NYC (I live on Long Island) but there is so much to see in NYC that I dont think it would be worth using a whole day to see the HOF. Going to NYC on a vacation and visiting the BBHOF are 2 different things in my opinion. Let your wife enjoy the Big Apple and not have to worry driving all the way up to Cooperstown!
CN

Last edited by chris6net; 08-12-2014 at 02:41 PM.
Old 08-12-2014, 02:43 PM
D@ve R1cks

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, maybe it is just trying to cram in too much. I will think about it though.

Well, anything we should definitely see while in the city? Anything you think my wife would really enjoy? This trip was her idea, so more importantly than anything I want her to have a great time.

Last edited by honus94566; 08-12-2014 at 02:45 PM.
Old 08-12-2014, 02:50 PM
pete ullman

check out the highline on the lower west side...it's beautiful and free. Take a ride on the staten island ferry. You can see the baseball cards on display at the MET!

Last edited by ullmandds; 08-12-2014 at 02:51 PM.
Old 08-12-2014, 02:52 PM
Louie Michaud

I did this trip pretty much. September as well. We were staying in queens. What we did is we went to the airport and rented a car around 3 in the morning. We drove all the way up there and arrived in cooperstown around 8am. We checked out doubleday field, walked around the town with virtually no one else around, had breakfast, and went into the HOF by 9. We were out by 3ish...went shopping around the town for a couple hours. Then headed back on the road by about 5, and got back into NYC around 10ish I'd say.

It was easy for us b/c it was 5 dudes in our twenties. Might b a whole different story for a family. But if everyone sleeps in the car it can work
Old 08-12-2014, 03:01 PM
Paul

In addition to the Met, consider making a reservation to see the Goulston Collection at the NY Public Library. They have Wagner...

http://www.signedt206.com/goulston-t206-collection/

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206

Last edited by T206Collector; 08-12-2014 at 03:01 PM.
Old 08-12-2014, 03:17 PM
Barry Sloate

I think NYC to Cooperstown is at least four hours each way by car, and traffic is almost unavoidable. I don't think this is doable in one day, unless you plan to leave the city at 4:00 AM.
Old 08-12-2014, 03:43 PM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Yeah...I wasn't thinking about NYC traffic. I am in Central NJ so it is about a 4 hour or 4 1/2 hour trek for me. Figured being a bit closer in NYC would shave off some time but....yeah...that whole traffic thing will be a bit of a snafu.

If your wife likes to dance take her to Swing 46. Good food for dinner then swing dancing at night...often live bands as well. Very cool and different evening. They even do lessons before the music starts.

Broadway show...obviously. Circle Line cruise is a decent enough time. Perhaps a trip to Green-Wood cemetery in Brooklyn if you can't make it to Cooperstown. Many early baseball figures buried there.

Tom C
Old 08-12-2014, 03:55 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
for 1 day...communting from nyc...I say not worth it...you'll spend 1/2 the day driving...and won't get to see a whole lot once there. Save it for a multiple day trip.

besides...there is just so much to see and do in the city you will easily fill up 4 days with that.
Agreed. You could also drive up to C'town after lunch one day, spent the night at a B&B, do the HOF the next morning, then drive back after lunch. Three hours in a car then all day on your feet, and the last thing you're going to want to do is get back in the car for another 3 hours.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:53 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

It would probably have to be a day trip as its tough to find lodging during leaf peeping season up there, or at least it used to be. You have to reserve well in advance in my experience and it maybe too late.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:17 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

It probably comes down to this. What are the chances you'll be back in New York anytime in the future?? If the odds are slim, then by all means get your butts up to Cooperstown!! As others have said, it is definitely a hike, so you'll be spending many, many hours in your car, but for my money it's worthy of crossing it off your bucket list. It's like someone from NY flying out to Arizona for a quick trip. Their question would be, "Should I spend one of the days I'm there driving many hours to go see the Grand Canyon??" Absolutely yes!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:06 PM
Tom Boblitt

While in Morristown, NJ on a project in 1996, I did the trek a couple of times.....once just to the HOF to visit and then for induction weekend. I did it by myself and I exceeded the speed limit all the way and it was a solid 4-4.5 hours. I love New York and have spent a lot of time in the city. Enjoy your time there and break away for another Cooperstown weekend down the road. There's just too much to see and do in NYC if you've never been there before.

Last edited by autograf; 08-12-2014 at 08:06 PM.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:22 PM
Tim Newcomb

Default one further point

You wouldn't have to take public transpo to get to a rent-a-car place. There are a fair number of places in Manhattan where rental car companies have small offices and you could reserve a car.

However, having been to C'town once and enjoyed it, I would say- wait for another opportunity as it is a long way from anywhere, and there is so much to see and do in NYC.

BTW, +++++ on the High Line, it is fantastic. Also, it is basically adjacent to the Chelsea Market, which is a fabulous old factory bldg. turned into sensational eating and shopping - the seafood market and restaurant in there is well worth doing esp. if, like me, you are starved for seafood in the midwest. (I think the offices of mlb.com are in that bldg too, though I am not absolutely sure.)

Have fun,

Tim
Old 08-12-2014, 08:32 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Hi Dave Ricks

Have you considered first taking an early flight to Albany, NY from your location ? From Albany it's a 1 hour drive to Cooperstown.
Checking out the HOF (and, all the other great attractions around the Cooperstown area). Staying overnite, then driving down to
NYC (5 hours) the next day for the remainder of your vacation ?

Every year, since 1984, I've traveled to Cooperstown during the HOF weekend. It's a glorious place to be, and lots of things to do.

TED Z

Last edited by tedzan; 08-12-2014 at 08:49 PM.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:00 PM
Steve

Hi Dave,

I live in Manhattan and was just up in Cooperstown for the induction ceremonies this past month.

In terms of getting there, you have one additional option -- take Amtrak to Albany, then drive from Albany. You avoid the traffic coming and going from the city, but do watch your speed on I-88 -- I managed to snag a speeding ticket on the empty highway at 8am on the way to the HOF...they had traps all over).

If you're going up there up and back for one day, I'd say pass. The Hall is FULL of great stuff to look at, and you'll be so wiped out from traveling that you won't get to enjoy all of it, and you'll be tired for your other days in the city.

The area surrounding Cooperstown is awesome and beautiful -- wait until you can go for multiple days and stay in a B&B.

If you do go, make sure you go to the local bakery a few blocks down from the Hall on Main Street -- it has the best doughnuts I've ever had in my life.

If you need any advice on staying in, getting around in, places to eat, or things to do in the city while you're here, send me a PM with what you're interested in -- I'd be glad to help.

Have a good one,
Steve
Old 08-12-2014, 10:36 PM
David McDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
It probably comes down to this. What are the chances you'll be back in New York anytime in the future?? If the odds are slim, then by all means get your butts up to Cooperstown!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by btcarfagno View Post
If you have never been, you kind of have to at some point. I think there is a law or something.
There you have it. A day trip is definitely not the way to see the HOF but, if need be, it's better than missing out altogether.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
check out the highline on the lower west side...it's beautiful and free. Take a ride on the staten island ferry. You can see the baseball cards on display at the MET!
+1

Good suggestions.

Also, you can go out to Williamsburg, Brooklyn, goto Brooklyn Bowl, bar-hop, goto the flea market. Also check out Governors' Island if the weather hasn't gotten too chilly then. fun excursion.

Cooperstown start to finish will be 2 days, half of your trip...do that another time, and stay at a B&B (Inn at Cooperstown) when you have 2-3 days. for now, focus on NYC. can also goto the Botanical Gardens, even catch a Yankees or Mets game right at the end of the season.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:19 AM
D@ve R1cks

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions. We will be able to make a separate trip to Cooperstown at some point I am sure, we will wait and do it then so we don't feel rushed. Thanks also for the NYC suggestions this will be very helpful.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:10 AM
Anthony Rodriguez

Being a native of the Lower East Side of Manhattan, I would agree with all the comments and options previously mentioned. To add to this thread, your experience would be alot better if you and your family visit the famous Katz deli on E Houston St.