NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 12-05-2017, 10:26 AM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Default Vince Maltas Identification of Game Used Bats Book

Does anyone have one they could scan for me? I would pay them for their time. I just need one and they don't exist anymore.

Or if anyone has a extra I will gladly purchase it.

OR if you want to send it to me I can scan it and return it and pay you for the hassle as well

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:10 AM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by EYECOLLECTVINTAGE View Post
Does anyone have one they could scan for me? I would pay them for their time. I just need one and they don't exist anymore.

OR if you want to send it to me I can scan it and return it and pay you for the hassle as well

Gian Luigi Books in Albany, NY has one for $595.00

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 12-05-2017, 11:20 AM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

What a steal lol

Thank you very much for the information.

Last edited by EYECOLLECTVINTAGE; 12-05-2017 at 11:21 AM.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:38 AM
©hri$ $€X₮ØΝ

Quote:
Originally Posted by EYECOLLECTVINTAGE View Post

Scanning a modern book cover to cover isn't legal.

1913 Cravats pennants

St. Paul Saints Game Used Bats and Memorabilia

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=180664
Old 12-05-2017, 12:12 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugsy View Post
Well thank goodness I do not have to go that route anymore. Thank you to a very generous board member her who allowed me to buy his duplicate for a very reasonable amount. Gr3g N@z@r3th is the man!
Old 12-05-2017, 01:01 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Not necessarily true. If you are doing it for personal use it is allowed. If you are doing it so that others may view, you would be violating copyright.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 12-05-2017, 02:26 PM
©hri$ $€X₮ØΝ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
Not necessarily true. If you are doing it for personal use it is allowed. If you are doing it so that others may view, you would be violating copyright.
That is an extremely broad interpretation of fair use.

1913 Cravats pennants

Old 12-05-2017, 02:29 PM
©hri$ $€X₮ØΝ

Quote:
Any paying someone to copy a book (that is not in the public domain) cover to cover is certainly illegal.

1913 Cravats pennants

Old 12-05-2017, 03:38 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

If this is the one with Ted Williams on the cover, I would be interested in one as well. Not sure what you paid, but I always thought it would be a good read. I'm not much of a game used bat guy, but maybe that will change. Email me if one is available. Thanks, Jason
Old 12-05-2017, 06:10 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quote:
Any paying someone to copy a book (that is not in the public domain) cover to cover is certainly illegal.
Yah I should know, I did it, ended up in San Quentin. I got my ass kicked every time a Blood or a Crip asked what I was in for. Thought I was being a wise ass.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:16 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
That is an extremely broad interpretation of fair use.
Actually it is not. If you are doing it for your own personal use there is no copyright violation. It is no different than purchasing a CD and downloading it onto whatever device you wish to use to listen to it. If you already own the item you can enjoy it for personal use as you see fit. As I said, as long as you do not share it with someone you are not violating the law. Even giving it for free has been ruled illegal, hello Napster. Steven said he would pay for a scanned copy. In effect asking someone to break the law.

Why would you scan a book for your personal use? If it is a book that is particularly valuable or expensive and you know that you will refer to it many times a day/week/month it would make sense to scan it so that you do not cause damage to the book itself.

Old 12-06-2017, 07:28 AM
©hri$ $€X₮ØΝ

Quote:
Actually it is not. If you are doing it for your own personal use there is no copyright violation. It is no different than purchasing a CD and downloading it onto whatever device you wish to use to listen to it. If you already own the item you can enjoy it for personal use as you see fit. As I said, as long as you do not share it with someone you are not violating the law. Even giving it for free has been ruled illegal, hello Napster. Steven said he would pay for a scanned copy. In effect asking someone to break the law.

Why would you scan a book for your personal use? If it is a book that is particularly valuable or expensive and you know that you will refer to it many times a day/week/month it would make sense to scan it so that you do not cause damage to the book itself.
If you purchase a CD and convert it to a different format for your own use, your initial purchase has compensated the owner of the copyright. That doesn't mean you can make copies for other people. Same is true in this example. If you already purchased the book, you can copy what you want from it for your own use. What you can't do is go to the library and scan a book cover to cover.

As far as your argument is concerned, intended use is only one of four fair use factors. All four factors are considered when arguing fair use. In this example, taking an entire work, not adding any commentary, insight, or value, and not compensating the author are reasons why you can't copy a book cover to cover. If you decide to copy a large portion of a print title, it is usually wise to pay copyright fees to the author. It's easiest to do this through the Copyright Clearance Center.

https://fairuse.stanford.edu/overvie...er_of_your_use

1913 Cravats pennants

Old 12-06-2017, 12:01 PM
Andrew L@Vine

If anyone else is willing to sell their Malta bat book, please let me know. I have tried to purchase multiple times on amazon in the past couple years and everytime they seem to have to wait 90+ days for it to arrive and just send me my $$ back. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Old 12-07-2017, 11:59 AM
Ja.son Hugh.es

I spoke with Zane and he says he has copies available if anyone is interested. I told him I would help him out by posting it here.

Shipping is $8.00 priority mail Total $48.00
PayPal is zanebats@comcast.net
Old 12-07-2017, 12:01 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo View Post
I spoke with Zane and he says he has copies available if anyone is interested. I told him I would help him out by posting it here.

Is that the publisher?
Old 12-07-2017, 01:32 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

I don't believe so, Zane buys and sells game used bats. I'm not sure what level of participation in the book he had or just has extras from the original publishing. As I gave his contact info, I think you should contact him with any questions.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:37 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo View Post

That seems like a smoking deal. Scanning was never going to work, because these books were bound very poorly and if you fold the pages back all the way, they are sure to fall out. I've had two and they both fell apart. Still, a great resource!
Old 12-07-2017, 06:08 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
That seems like a smoking deal. Scanning was never going to work, because these books were bound very poorly and if you fold the pages back all the way, they are sure to fall out. I've had two and they both fell apart. Still, a great resource!
Very true. Scanning your personal copy to keep the original in good shape would be counter-productive. By the time you were done, you'd have a loose-leaf original

I believe Zane purchased the remainder of the original publisher's stock a while back. His price is very reasonable considering how tough they are to find second-hand.
Old 12-08-2017, 01:47 AM
J Stone

Lots of book sellers on Amazon don't actually have any books in inventory, they just pirate other Amazon listings or from other sources and drop-ship. There are some operations making literally millions on other people's listings.

Similar to the way sportsmemorabilia.com operates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfan4 View Post
If anyone else is willing to sell their Malta bat book, please let me know. I have tried to purchase multiple times on amazon in the past couple years and everytime they seem to have to wait 90+ days for it to arrive and just send me my $$ back. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Old 12-11-2017, 05:04 PM

Default Vince Malta book

Just a quick comment in case any other members were considering purchasing this book. I contacted Zane (details Jason posted in post #14) on Friday.

Book arrived today - extremely fast and exactly as stated. Book is brand new and looks like a great read. Just in case anyone was unsure - great transaction!

Thanks for posting the information Jason!

Andy

Last edited by mordecaibrown; 12-11-2017 at 05:04 PM.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:26 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

I got mine today too. Obviously Zane shipped it same day. I highly encourage people that are interested to pick one up. Looks like a great read and if you use it one time to influence your purchase, it's easily worth it.