NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-11-2014, 02:55 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbsports View Post
the 1952 Topps #1 Andy Pafko card. Just because it's the #1 card in the set why should this card as expensive?
I was shocked to see the offers I received when I sold my fathers PSA 5, the explanation I received was that it would take a beating/elastic wear being at the top of a kids stack...fewer high grade examples out there
Old 12-11-2014, 03:58 PM
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
Tom Reed started a thread on the post-war side that asks for the most overrated card (most people voted for the 1952 Mantle). I liked the question, so I'm asking the pre-war guys: what's the most overrated pre-war card?

My answer is the T206 MAGIE. It is essentially a typo. The player isn't famous and his card is plentiful. But the error somehow makes the card more valuable than cards for C. Young, Speaker, Mathewson, W.Johnson, or even Cobb (unless one of those cards also features a rare back).

I know that the MAGIE is rare, but so are other cards that don't sell for nearly as much. So I guess my point is: if this error card was in a set other than T206, would it be an iconic card? That's why I consider it overrated.

So what do you guys think? What other pre-war cards do you think are overrated?
Actually, in that post war thread, the most votes were for the Pafko and for high graded cards, but there was no clear consensus. Rookie cards were also brought up, as was the Herrer and the George Bush card.

I couldn't disagree more with anyone saying that Ruth or Mantle, as players or their collectibles, are "overrated." That term in itself is also a slippery one-- overrated. How is it being defined, exactly?

Ruth is a legend. Mantle was a hero and icon to so many. True, Mantle could have even been so much more if not for his character flaws. But the admission of those flaws as an older man endeared him to so many people, and that is an intangible that goes beyond mere statistics. On a bum knee and hungover, at the very end in 1967, the man still posted a .391 OBP while batting only .245. That was the man at his worst. As to his peak-- few who played the game had one higher.

Ruth and Mantle performed on the game's biggest stage and delivered thrills to millions. There is just no debating this. The demand for their cards will always be great, no matter the pop reports. Those two names will always be among the very top in the baseball card collecting world. And finding eye appealing examples of their cards makes the collectors' hunt even more challenging.

Last edited by MattyC; 12-11-2014 at 04:21 PM.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:27 PM
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
M101-4/5 Ruth. One of the most common Ruth cards, especially the undesirable blank back versions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
This is the one I'd pick. It was just another Ruth until people hyped it as a rookie card.
Gold was just another rock in the ground until someone "hyped it."

It's Ruth's first card in a major league uniform and thus his rookie card.

Also, no matter the overall population reports, when a collector tries to find a nice one, he sees how tough it is. Most have serious eye appeal problems.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:32 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Gold was just another rock in the ground until someone "hyped it."

It's Ruth's first card in a major league uniform and thus his rookie card.

Also, no matter the overall population reports, when a collector tries to find a nice one, he sees how tough it is. Most have serious eye appeal problems.
Yeah, but gold is soft and lustrous and beautiful - unlike any other rock.

I would go more with tulip bulbs. Perhaps this Ruth card will eventually follow suit.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:35 PM
Matt

One can dream.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:53 PM
Belltown Vintage

Yeah, I don't know why I keep following Ruth 'rookie card' auctions. I keep hoping one will slip through the cracks. At least I can still buy tulip bulbs.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:42 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

The entire t206 set.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:49 PM
€dw@rd Sk€£t0n

Default You are all right

Everyone here has been dead on in their stated opinions of over rated cards. So if any of you have those cards, you should send them to me free of charge, I will take the hit and keep all these over rated cards for you. . I know, I'm being a martyr here, but I am just that kinda guy! Anything to help you guys out.

Collecting PCL, Southern Association, and type cards.
http://hangingjudgesports.com
Old 12-11-2014, 05:54 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor912 View Post
The entire t206 set.

Old 12-11-2014, 06:05 PM
Belltown Vintage

Conor, you're killing me!

See you in the Spring.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:33 PM
Peter Spaeth

Heresy perhaps but I have never been a fan of the Baltimore News Ruth in terms of the value it commands. Or the T210 Jackson, for similar reasons. Also the E90-1 Jackson is just plain ugly.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:34 PM
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinbulldog View Post
T206 in general and Wagner in particular. I agree on the Ruth rookies, and I would add the E90-1 Joe Jackson, but #1 is Wagner.

As a rule, if Joe Orlando included it in his Top 200/250 Sportscards book it's overrated.
Like financial analysts do when they downgrade a stock, it obviously drops...so they can buy it at a better price
Old 12-11-2014, 07:30 PM

Nobody has mentioned the 1940 Play Ball Joe Jackson. It was issued 20 years after his retirement / banishment, but is priced like he was an active player.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:51 PM

Default easy to answer.........

T206 Titus

a common T206 going for ridiculous bux

how about a Titus scrap??? 1 million dollars
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T206%20Titus%20error%20comparison.jpg (52.5 KB, 358 views)
Old 12-12-2014, 09:54 AM

Default Most overrated Cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
M101-4/5 Ruth. One of the most common Ruth cards, especially the undesirable blank back versions.
Ruth Rookie Overrated? Not even close. Let's use the T206 Wagner to squash that theory. Simply stated, there are currently 60-70 known examples (approx. 45+ graded) of the T206 Wagner. The Ruth Rookie including all backs currently has nearly 110 encapsulated copies (with MANY crossovers I might add), and an estimated 200 - 250 existing specimens (including raw examples). Therefore, it certainly appears the quantity of Ruth rookie cards is 4x higher than the T206 Wagner. Now pricing. A nice "VG/3" Wagner sold for nearly $1.3M two years ago (with beater "1's" now achieving $400K!), and a well-centered "VG/3" Ruth rookie fetches approximately $60K, give or take $5K. So this "so-called" overhyped card that represents baseball's unquestionable greatest player ever as well as one of the most iconic AMERICAN heroes currently achieves price tags that are a microscopic like 5% of the T206 Wagner, with the number of T206 Wagner's tallying to approx. 25% of the Ruth Rookie count!

I've never heard of anyone questioning the iconic stature of a T206 Wagner. Considering Babe Ruth ultimately towers above Wagner in overall prestige, I would safely say that the current pricing points for a Ruth Rookie card still have a long way to go before they achieve their due justice, justifying why the Ruth Rookie still stands as an UNDERRATED card in terms of value.

JoeT.
Old 12-12-2014, 10:08 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Quote:
Even the nicest one has a serious eye appeal problem. He looks like a clown with a badly broken leg.
Old 12-12-2014, 10:28 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintageclout View Post
Ruth Rookie Overrated? Not even close. Let's use the T206 Wagner to squash that theory. Simply stated, there are currently 60-70 known examples (approx. 45+ graded) of the T206 Wagner. The Ruth Rookie including all backs currently has nearly 110 encapsulated copies (with MANY crossovers I might add), and an estimated 200 - 250 existing specimens (including raw examples). Therefore, it certainly appears the quantity of Ruth rookie cards is 4x higher than the T206 Wagner. Now pricing. A nice "VG/3" Wagner sold for nearly $1.3M two years ago (with beater "1's" now achieving $400K!), and a well-centered "VG/3" Ruth rookie fetches approximately $60K, give or take $5K. So this "so-called" overhyped card that represents baseball's unquestionable greatest player ever as well as one of the most iconic AMERICAN heroes currently achieves price tags that are a microscopic like 5% of the T206 Wagner, with the number of T206 Wagner's tallying to approx. 25% of the Ruth Rookie count!

I've never heard of anyone questioning the iconic stature of a T206 Wagner. Considering Babe Ruth ultimately towers above Wagner in overall prestige, I would safely say that the current pricing points for a Ruth Rookie card still have a long way to go before they achieve their due justice, justifying why the Ruth Rookie still stands as an UNDERRATED card in terms of value.

JoeT.
Joe, when you are talking about cards with a population that close to zero, everything else being equal, there is an exponential decrease in value for larger population cards. You could counter with the Mino Wagners, but then you run into things like 'set popularity', mystique, story value (Gretzky, trimming, etc.), so all things would not be equal. Still, the T206 Wagner is fairly scarce as HOF'er cards go and is the rarest in the most popular pre-war set.
Old 12-12-2014, 10:30 AM

Default Most Overrated Cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Joe, when you are talking about cards with a population that close to zero, everything else being equal, there is an exponential decrease in value for larger population cards. You could counter with the Mino Wagners, but then you run into things like 'set popularity', mystique, story value (Gretzky, trimming, etc.), so all things would not be equal. Still, the T206 Wagner is fairly scarce as HOF'er cards go and is the rarest in the most popular pre-war set.
Point well taken Scott, but that exponential decrease is significantly minimal when you are talking about the rookie card of baseball's greatest icon.
Old 12-12-2014, 10:38 AM
Chris Browne
Administrator

Quote:
Still, the T206 Wagner is fairly scarce as HOF'er cards go and is the rarest in the most popular pre-war set.

+1
Old 12-12-2014, 10:42 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Point well taken Scott, but that exponential decrease is significantly minimal when you are talking about the rookie card of baseball's greatest icon.
Agreed. I know it's not the point of this thread, but I don't have a problem with the value of any card - they are commodities to an extent, so if you really want any particular one, you can always wait for a price that will allow you to relinquish it if you ever need to.
Old 12-12-2014, 10:59 AM

I think every common E107 is grossly overrated. I understand the rarity of the set and the important place it occupies in the baseball card timeline. But come on. $500 to $1,000 for a poor conditioned common? Not to mention a lot of the cards have guys who aren't even in uniform.
Old 12-12-2014, 11:17 AM
Matt

Quote:
Even the nicest one has a serious eye appeal problem. He looks like a clown with a badly broken leg.
Uniform fashions of the era notwithstanding, I love that intense, competitive glare in his eye.

Last edited by MattyC; 12-12-2014 at 11:18 AM.
Old 12-12-2014, 11:26 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Conor, you're killing me!

See you in the Spring.
Sorry guys, but yeah....purely based on aesthetics, I wouldn't even put that set in my top 10. What baffles me even more are the guys who only collect that set. That's like only sex with the same woman for the rest of your li...oh wait.
Old 12-12-2014, 11:27 AM

Quote:

JoeT.
The T206 Wagner is the key card in the most important baseball set made. The "Ruth rookie" is from an obscure set that is lightly collected. There is no reason for it to carry a premium over other Ruth cards and it didn't for a long time. The Wagner has been the holy grail since people started collecting baseball cards. The Ruth "rookie" hype is even more recent than the irrational rookie card craze of the 80's-90's.
Old 12-12-2014, 11:30 AM
Tony. Biviano

T 206 Titus. I still dont get it?
Old 12-12-2014, 11:31 AM
Tony. Biviano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Scraps and freaks.
+1
Old 12-12-2014, 11:53 AM
Matt

Quote:
The T206 Wagner is the key card in the most important baseball set made. The "Ruth rookie" is from an obscure set that is lightly collected. There is no reason for it to carry a premium over other Ruth cards and it didn't for a long time. The Wagner has been the holy grail since people started collecting baseball cards. The Ruth "rookie" hype is even more recent than the irrational rookie card craze of the 80's-90's.
We are entering the realm of high subjectivity here. There are Post War collectors who would put up a very good argument that the 1952 Topps Set is the most important baseball set ever made. I think there is room for both those sets and more, because collecting is all about what one likes. There is just no right or wrong here, no matter how definitively some reactionary views are stated. I think it is important for all collectors to be tolerant of other styles of collecting, for the greater good of the hobby as a whole. The Ruth RC and the Wagner aren't mortal enemies and their existence and appreciation are not mutually exclusive.

There are many people who believe a player's earliest card carries a great significance that later issues simply do not. To those collectors, the Ruth Rookie will obviously be much more significant than other issues released years and decades later. And because legions of collectors believe this, that in itself is "reason" for the rookie to carry a premium over a Ruth card produced in 1933 or 1973. What you call an irrational rookie craze, many other collectors believe to be quite logical. The earlier cards are that much closer to when the player began his journey, to when neither he nor the fans knew the heights he would later reach. Not everyone needs to subscribe to this, for it to be valid. It is why a 1988 Topps George Brett sells for ten cents, and why a 1975 Topps George Brett sells for a few thousand in the same condition. But end of the day, Different Strokes...

I often see people cite how a card's past price years or decades ago was this or that, and when it breaks out and gains new fanfare, the old prices are somehow held up as evidence to undermine what is happening in the present. At some point the Wagner broke out. At some point lots of cards break out from a past historical pricing range. I think clinging to past prices can be done to a fault. Sometimes yesteryear's price stays forever in the past, and becomes nothing more than a dated, irrelevant data point.

Last edited by MattyC; 12-12-2014 at 12:10 PM.
Old 12-12-2014, 12:01 PM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

I mainly collect and love the t205 set. I have no interest in shelling out for a hoblitzell no stats. There's four versions of the same card and it's a back variation. My opinion.
Old 12-12-2014, 12:32 PM

The thing about the Wagner is that in the grand scheme of things it is a circus card. The public at large is aware of the Wagner and that it is the most valuable card. But they aren't interested in the card itself, or Wagner, or T206. They are interested because it's expensive. So to me, it is overrated because it has become something more than a baseball card.
Old 12-12-2014, 12:51 PM

Quote:
We are entering the realm of high subjectivity here. There are Post War collectors who would put up a very good argument that the 1952 Topps Set is the most important baseball set ever made. I think there is room for both those sets and more, because collecting is all about what one likes. There is just no right or wrong here, no matter how definitively some reactionary views are stated. I think it is important for all collectors to be tolerant of other styles of collecting, for the greater good of the hobby as a whole. The Ruth RC and the Wagner aren't mortal enemies and their existence and appreciation are not mutually exclusive.

There are many people who believe a player's earliest card carries a great significance that later issues simply do not. To those collectors, the Ruth Rookie will obviously be much more significant than other issues released years and decades later. And because legions of collectors believe this, that in itself is "reason" for the rookie to carry a premium over a Ruth card produced in 1933 or 1973. What you call an irrational rookie craze, many other collectors believe to be quite logical. The earlier cards are that much closer to when the player began his journey, to when neither he nor the fans knew the heights he would later reach. Not everyone needs to subscribe to this, for it to be valid. It is why a 1988 Topps George Brett sells for ten cents, and why a 1975 Topps George Brett sells for a few thousand in the same condition. But end of the day, Different Strokes...

I often see people cite how a card's past price years or decades ago was this or that, and when it breaks out and gains new fanfare, the old prices are somehow held up as evidence to undermine what is happening in the present. At some point the Wagner broke out. At some point lots of cards break out from a past historical pricing range. I think clinging to past prices can be done to a fault. Sometimes yesteryear's price stays forever in the past, and becomes nothing more than a dated, irrelevant data point.
There's no subjectivity. The t206 is the most important. It was the first largely distributed baseball card set. It's followed by the 33 Goudey set, the first bubble gum cards. Then the 52 Topps set as Topps first major issue. Each owes its existence in part to those that came before it. Those 3 sets are the backbone of the hobby.

Ruth's first card is the Baltimore News. The M101-4 is just another card. It's not a rookie card. It wasn't nationally distributed. It wasn't sold in any package. You can't buy a pack of M101-4 cards. It wasn't a "normal" issue like t206 where you could buy a pack a cigarettes and get a Wagner or Cracker Jack/ E-cards that came with candy. The Wagner is extremely scarce within its set. The Ruth is a common card. Any post WW2 card with the same characteristics as the Ruth would be ignored by the hobby.

The Wagner never broke out. It has always been the card to have. The first catalog of baseball cards recognized it as the most valuable card and it has been so since. The problem with the M101-4 Ruth is that for most of its history it was irrelevant to the hobby. It was a common card in an obscure set. A some point, someone got the idea to hype this "fake rookie" as the Ruth card to have. All it took was two people buying into the hype to drive the price up and the hype snow balled. It is the definition of overhyped.
Old 12-12-2014, 01:00 PM
pete ullman

this thread is looking for the most "overrated" "pre-war" card...so 52 topps mantles...take them to another board...33 goudeys...technically not pre war...as pre war tends to imply pre WWI around here. Ruth rookie...t206 wags...nope...not warranted in my opinion.

Overrated is what we're looking for here. And while I obviously understand we are all entitled to our opinions...and interpretations...the "correct" answer is something along the lines of the doyle, nat'l card...or some other "insignificant" silly card such as this!!!!!!

Last edited by ullmandds; 12-12-2014 at 01:00 PM.
Old 12-12-2014, 01:04 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Quote:
There's no subjectivity. The t206 is the most important. It was the first largely distributed baseball card set. It's followed by the 33 Goudey set, the first bubble gum cards. Then the 52 Topps set as Topps first major issue. Each owes its existence in part to those that came before it. Those 3 sets are the backbone of the hobby.

Ruth's first card is the Baltimore News. The M101-4 is just another card. It's not a rookie card. It wasn't nationally distributed. It wasn't sold in any package. You can't buy a pack of M101-4 cards. It wasn't a "normal" issue like t206 where you could buy a pack a cigarettes and get a Wagner or Cracker Jack/ E-cards that came with candy. The Wagner is extremely scarce within its set. The Ruth is a common card. Any post WW2 card with the same characteristics as the Ruth would be ignored by the hobby.

The Wagner never broke out. It has always been the card to have. The first catalog of baseball cards recognized it as the most valuable card and it has been so since. The problem with the M101-4 Ruth is that for most of its history it was irrelevant to the hobby. It was a common card in an obscure set. A some point, someone got the idea to hype this "fake rookie" as the Ruth card to have. All it took was two people buying into the hype to drive the price up and the hype snow balled. It is the definition of overhyped.
1. There is much subjectivity.
2. N172 was the first largely distributed baseball card set.
3. "Scrapps" are the first bubble gum baseball cards.

Anyone care to fact-check paragraphs 2 and 3?
Old 12-12-2014, 01:06 PM
Tom

See, I just learned something. I honestly thought pre - war cards was before WW2 (1941)
Old 12-12-2014, 01:31 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1963Topps Set View Post
See, I just learned something. I honestly thought pre - war cards was before WW2 (1941)
Well maybe this is just me?
Old 12-12-2014, 01:32 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1963Topps Set View Post
I honestly thought pre - war cards was before WW2 (1941)
And I thought we were only supposed to collect cards from 1860, 1897, 1913, 1938, or 1949.

Seriously though, you were correct. The generally accepted meaning is that it includes all cards issued prior to the U.S. entry into WWII -- 1941 Play Ball being the last major pre-war set.
Old 12-12-2014, 01:40 PM
Ronald Goldberg

Quote:
1. There is much subjectivity.
2. N172 was the first largely distributed baseball card set.
3. "Scrapps" are the first bubble gum baseball cards.

Anyone care to fact-check paragraphs 2 and 3?
Shelby Gum Company is known as the originator of bubblegum. One of their laboratory employees, while trying to come up with a preservative to extend the shelf life of gum, accidentally came up with bubblegum.

During the 1930's, Shelby Gum Company issued several sets of trading cards. Hollywood Picture Stars was the most popular set, and was reprinted several times.

Gum has been around since ancient times. Many attempts to make bubblegum starting in the late 1800s were not successful and the results not marketable until Shelby Gum Company in the mid 1920s.

The 1933 Goudey Indian Gum set was followed by the Goudey Baseball set that same year, and is given credit for being the first major baseball cards issued with bubblegum.

For you youngsters, Joan Blondell, real name Rosebud Blondell, was a former Miss Dallas and runner-up in the 1926 Miss America Pageant. You might remember her as the diner waitress in Grease.

Last edited by RGold; 12-12-2014 at 01:41 PM.
Old 12-12-2014, 02:01 PM
Peter Spaeth

Ron that card is overrated.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-12-2014, 02:19 PM
An$on

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
technically not pre war...as pre war tends to imply pre WWI around here.
Maybe so, but the name of this thread is "Net54baseball Vintage (Pre-WWII) Baseball Cards", so I mean ...
Old 12-12-2014, 02:31 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
this thread is looking for the most "overrated" "pre-war" card...so 52 topps mantles...take them to another board...33 goudeys...technically not pre war...as pre war tends to imply pre WWI around here. Ruth rookie...t206 wags...nope...not warranted in my opinion.

Overrated is what we're looking for here. And while I obviously understand we are all entitled to our opinions...and interpretations...the "correct" answer is something along the lines of the doyle, nat'l card...or some other "insignificant" silly card such as this!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozumeleno View Post
Maybe so, but the name of this thread is "Net54baseball Vintage (Pre-WWII) Baseball Cards", so I mean ...

ullman will be 25 years early (or late) to his funeral, but the horses wont.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 12-12-2014 at 02:31 PM.
Old 12-12-2014, 02:34 PM

Quote:

The M101-4/5 Ruth is insignificant when compared to the Doyle. The discovery of the T206 Doyle was a significant moment in hobby history.

I really don't understand the fascination with the M101-4/5 Ruth. A PSA 10 1975 Topps Robin Yount RC sold for 19K+. A PSA 10 1975 SSPC Robin Yount sold for 10.00. M101-4/5 is SSPC.
Old 12-12-2014, 03:11 PM
Todd Schultz

Default You might want to check your facts

Quote:
The M101-4 is just another card. It's not a rookie card. It wasn't nationally distributed. It wasn't sold in any package. You can't buy a pack of M101-4 cards.
1. It is widely considered his rookie card, and always has been. Many if not most consider minor-league issues to be pre-rookie. If anything, the Baltimore News Ruth has benefited from those who must have a "first card" more than from those who chase rookies and who thus pick m101-4/5.
2. It was in fact nationally distributed, so that statement is just flat-ass wrong. Show me one corner of the country that did not receive the Sporting News. Probably the same could be said for Successful Farming.
3. M101-4 and m101-5 were in fact sold individually in packages, as evidenced by anyone who has bothered to read the back of a Holmes to Homes, Standard Biscuit or Morehouse Baking card. In addition, Mall Theatre cards were doled out one by one at the movies. At least some of the Department Stores required a purchase for the cards, although they were given out in groups of twenty.
4. You couldn't buy a pack of T206 cards either--you could acquire them one or two at a time. See above for the same argument on m101-4/5.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 12-12-2014 at 03:11 PM.
Old 12-12-2014, 03:30 PM
Matt

Quote:
It is the definition of overhyped.
By definition, it is the first card depicting the most famous name in the game of baseball in a major league uniform. It is thus the rookie card of the most famous player in the game's history. Ruth is a name that simply dwarfs the likes of Doyle, in terms their comparative places in both the game and American cultural history (not intended as a knock on the Doyle card, but in a comparative analysis, he just can't touch Babe Ruth-- not many can, though some are right there with him). It is also one of very few cards depicting Ruth pitching in a Sox uniform, which is a very important part of baseball lore and history, considering the eventual deal to the Yankees, conversion to full-time hitter, and how his homeruns took the popularity of the game we all love to new levels. End of the day, no one has to like every card, but a Babe Ruth rookie card is patently significant, no matter when the financial side of things recognized it as such.

Last edited by MattyC; 12-12-2014 at 03:39 PM.
Old 12-12-2014, 03:43 PM
pariah1107

Any card I want, or the last card I bought

In all seriousness, I'm just flabbergasted by Ten Million Obak's as previously mentioned, and [I'm probably going to step on some toes here] the exponential increase of a Zeenut with a coupon attached. A tab of paper that has nothing to do with the depicted player or his career is worth that much coin?
Old 12-12-2014, 03:47 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pariah1107 View Post
Any card I want, or the last card I bought

In all seriousness, I'm just flabbergasted by Ten Million Obak's as previously mentioned, and [I'm probably going to step on some toes here] the exponential increase of a Zeenut with a coupon attached. A tab of paper that has nothing to do with the depicted player or his career is worth that much coin?
What is a 'Zeenut' anyway? I guess if the card had the coupon AND came with an original zee nut, it would be worth even more?

"Zee nuts, zee nuts!" - Tattoo, pointing to everything while waiting for the plane to land.
Old 12-12-2014, 04:01 PM
Daryl

That made me laugh, Scott.
Old 12-13-2014, 02:44 AM
Glyn Parson

Default Industry standard for term Prewar is

Pre world War II, just because one may define it differently themselves does not mean the industry standard for the term is not defined differently. Pre War when referring to Baseball cards has meant Pre WW 2 since I have been collecting, began as a 7 year old in 1979.
Old 12-13-2014, 07:46 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Well maybe this is just me?
I have always thought of Pre-War to mean Pre-1945 but then again, I don't always follow too well. And the 1912 Zeenut Halla is a bit over hyped to me. (and I own one, top left)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pe137mastergroupfinala.jpg (76.4 KB, 331 views)
Old 12-13-2014, 09:47 AM

Hey Scott,

Well, you asked for it!

Andrew
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zeenut 1.jpg (77.2 KB, 322 views)
File Type: jpg zeenut 2.jpg (76.4 KB, 319 views)
Old 12-13-2014, 09:54 AM
pete ullman

i rescind...i misspoke...I also agree prewar should be construed as pre 45...or 41...so then the goudeys can stay...but the 52 topps most certainly cannot! There can'r be many 45' issues out there?
Old 12-13-2014, 12:07 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Todd--this whole "rookie" card thing is dealer contrived to make some extra money. The M101 Ruth never had the reputation it has had in the last ten years. It was a Ruth card, but an ugly, common one. The Boston Store/Collins McCarthy from that period was always the preferred card. The funniest thing is when some unscrupulous auctioneers hype the blank back Ruth's as the first of the M101 group. Most likely these were just unsold sheets that were later cut up.