NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-29-2006, 01:26 PM
Administrator

Default 1940 Playball

Posted By: howard

Can anyone tell me what the telltale signs are that a 1940 playball is real or fake? Thanks for any input.

Howard

Old 12-29-2006, 02:41 PM
Administrator

Default 1940 Playball

Posted By: Chris Counts

Do you have the scan of a particular card? Or is there anything peculiar about the card or cards? If only stars like DiMaggio and Williams are available and the dealer is an unknown, that's a red flag ...

Old 12-29-2006, 02:58 PM
Administrator

Default 1940 Playball

The card is a Williams and has been offered to me on ebay as a "second chance". I'm not sure how to post the listing as I don't work with computers much. The seller has good feedback and has sold many cards although mostly commons. The red flag is that the card, although off center, looks to be in terrific shape but the seller is asking only $111.00 which was my last bid on the card when it was originally listed. The winning bid that time was $388.00 but for some reason the deal fell through.

I'm inclined to pass as it seems to be to good a deal to be legit.

Old 12-29-2006, 03:02 PM
Administrator

Default 1940 Playball

Posted By: Joann

Howard,

It sounds more like a bogus Second Chance offer. I've had 2nd Chance scam offers to let me buy cards that I had bid, like, $250 on that eventually sold for thousands. Scammers just go through the bid history and offer a "second chance" to pretty much anyone on it.

Did the offer come to your email? Go to your My Ebay page and look under My Messages. If it's there, it may be legit. If not there, then definitely no good.

Also, I think a legit 2nd Chance offer will give you a Buy It button and an expiration date. The bogus offers give you an email address to contact. I'm not quite as positive on the Buy It button - I've only rec'd one legit 2nd Chance offer - but I'm pretty sure that's how it worked.

Joann

Old 12-29-2006, 03:29 PM
Administrator

Default 1940 Playball

Hi Joann,

it is on My Messages on ebay and there is also a Buy It button. I'm still skeptical, though, because the price is very low. Maybe the guy is honest but doesn't know he has a fake card.

Thanks,

howard

Old 12-29-2006, 03:40 PM
Administrator

Default 1940 Playball

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Hey Howard,

Move the mouse cursor up to that window at the top, where there's stuff like http:///.... once there, right click your mouse. The window stuff should light up blue. Move down to "copy" and click that. Then, while doing your next post, hit enter a couple of times so that you're at a line all by itself, then move the mouse cursor to that new line and right click, choose "paste". That will post the link.

Frank.

Old 12-29-2006, 05:46 PM
Administrator

Default 1940 Playball

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

HOWARD

The front of this card looks real.....but, the back of it is very questionable.

Unless the seller, in scanning this card altered the color, the back has a tinted color to it
that should not be there. If you are really interested in this card, then my advice to you is
to ask the seller to email you new front/back (and larger) scans of this card. Thus, you can
get a better look (particularly at the back) of this card.

Incidently, if this card is as nice as it looks, it should be going for a much higher price.

FRANK W

To copy and paste (after blue-highlighting), I simply copy by holding down the "Ctrl" key and
pressing the "C" key. Then paste-ing by holding down the "Ctrl" key and pressing the "V" key.
This is a much easier task for me since I am not a computer "nerd".

TED Z

Old 12-29-2006, 05:58 PM
Administrator

Default 1940 Playball

Posted By: steve f

It looks good to me, but wish I could see the catcher's mitt, covered by the watermark and check edge spacing. Bigger scans would be nice. Oh well, at least he offers Paypal.

Old 12-29-2006, 08:08 PM
Administrator

Default 1940 Playball

Posted By: Mike Mccullough

Im sorry if I offend but I have been watching this seller for quite some time. He/she sells an awful lot of questionable cards. A fake Plank was the last I remember for sure.. The auction description was the same ole line. Also, dig through this sellers feedback, you will notice if you dig far enough that he has received negatived feedback for selling fakes.. My personal opinion is to stay away, stay very far away.. Have a good day

Edited for spelling

Old 12-29-2006, 09:00 PM
Administrator

Default 1940 Playball

Posted By: fkw

MFerraro in the past has been a scam artist! last year he sold a lot of fakes with the "can't guarentee" line. I have wrote hime quite alot in the past letting him know what I thought about his fake cards. He does sell some authentic stuff inbetween the fakes, and seems to be selling more lately. Id say Run though!

Old 12-30-2006, 06:13 AM
Administrator

Default 1940 Playball

Thanks for the help everyone!

Howard