NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-28-2006, 08:21 AM
Administrator

Default 2 Postcard questions

Posted By: Jim Clarke

Not sure what to list these as? The 1907 Team photo is not an HM Taylor and there is no copy right line on the reverse. The writing on the bottom is different than on the HM Taylor one. The second one I have never seen before? I can't find any info on Fred G. Wright? Any help would be great... Thanks JC

Old 12-28-2006, 08:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhys

The top one is a Real Photo Postcard from the era. I have seen maybe 3-4 in the last 10 years of that card. Sometimes RPPC will have a manufacturer or photographers line on the reverse, but often times they didn't. HM Taylors on the other hand were printed (with water soluable ink so do NOT ever try to soak one from a scrapbook). Not sure about the Bill Donovan one.

Rhys

Old 12-28-2006, 08:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

But Donovan's E121 card is one I had to have...love those big teeth and smile...

Old 12-28-2006, 09:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Here's a photo of ol' Wild Bill....

Old 12-28-2006, 09:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Robert S

JC--

Seeing as you outbid me on the Donovan card (you ran by my esnipe bid before it could weigh-in), let's have some fun...

The answer to your question is in YOUR OWN COLLECTION.

I challenge you to find the answer within 12 hours or sell the card to me...

Of course, you can't get any outside help...Ready, set, go...

Old 12-28-2006, 09:22 AM
Administrator

Old 12-28-2006, 12:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

At first I was going to say the Donovan is a HM Taylor because they often used Fred G. Wright photos, then I remembered I have one and its a batting pose (not cataloged either). So I am unsure. The only Donovan cataloged in the SCD is a
"w/floral horseshoe pose"

uncataloged pose

Mine on back says "H.M.Taylor, Detroit" in bottom left corner, and has a undivided back. But I have other H.M.Taylor postcards that are divided with a different style "Post Card" design, so there are a few different series.

Old 12-28-2006, 01:08 PM
Administrator

JC--

You have several HM Taylor cards with Fred G. Wright listed as the photographer.

In this instance, since your new Donovan card is sepia (as opposed to black & white) and is "copyrighted" by Wright, unless another publisher is listed on the reverse it sure appears that Wright issued his own postcards.

Of course, it's possible that Wright's photo was merely "copyrighted" and used by an anonymous publisher (much the way the Burk & Attwell photos were used on various issues by Boston, Chicago and Philadelphia publishers).

I knew Frank couldn't resist this one, seeing as he had the uncataloged HM Taylor Donovan PC, too.

BTW, here's a link to a bunch of the HM Taylor cards, including both Donovans:

http://www.vintageball.com/HMTaylor.html

Of course, JC, you could also just look at your own site for the Wright credit lines!

Now, if someone has the HM Taylor PC of Crawford batting, entitled "Ready For The Ball," let me know...it's the final card I need.

Old 12-28-2006, 01:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: joe

Robert, I have the card you are looking for, but, sorry not for sale.

Here he is. This is an H.M. Taylor.

Joe

Ty Cobb, Spikes flying!

Old 12-28-2006, 02:45 PM
Administrator

Hello Robert and everyone that posted.. Please do not start the clock until I get home in about 45 minutes.. Hecktic day today... Looks like good reading and research I need to do

JC

Old 12-28-2006, 04:40 PM
Administrator

Since we are on the subject of hard to identify postcards has anyone seen this postcard before?

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Old 12-28-2006, 04:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ryan Christoff

Holy crap that's a cool postcard, Dan! Is that some kind of product advertisement in the upper left corner? Have you seen other players? Amazing postcard.

Mullin looks like a true pitcher as he stands there with the bat. Too bad he played in pre-Blomberg American League because he does not look ready for the curve that's about to buckle his knees.

-Ryan

Old 12-28-2006, 04:50 PM
Administrator

I saw these on ebay a few months back and the owner had very high starting bids so none of them sold (at least on ebay) The only ones listed were of George Mullin. I had never seen them before and was wondering if anyone else had.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.usImage Hosted by ImageShack.usImage Hosted by ImageShack.us

Old 12-28-2006, 05:26 PM
Administrator

They look to be "Real Photo" postcards, so might have been made in very small numbers, and maybe just for Mullins use. The iridescent look in the dark areas when tilted is common in a real photograph. What does it say in the top corner emblem? What type of stampbox is on the back? AZO?

Old 12-28-2006, 06:01 PM
Administrator

Ok, so I will list the team card as 1907 RPPC and the Donovan card as 1908 Fred Wright. It is probally safe to say that he copyrighted the photos that were not used by HM taylor a year later. I thought the un-divided back were only issued from 1903 to 1907 though? Another twist... JC

Tigers team back

Donovan back

Old 12-28-2006, 06:16 PM
Administrator

Undivided backs do exist beyond 1907 (some took longer to change the design), but divided backs dont exist before March 1, 1907 for US postcards.

in the early 1900s collecting postcards was one of the biggest hobbies in US.

In 1908 alone, over 677 million postcards were mailed in the US (US Pop. was only 88 million).

History of Postcards

Old 12-29-2006, 02:36 AM
Administrator

Posted By: RC Mckenzie

I was bidding with the assumption that it was an hm taylor unc Donovan. If it wasn't that, then I apologize for bumping the price... regards

Old 12-29-2006, 11:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: joe

Some additional information, might not mean much. The SCD has cataloged 7 cards. We know from a previous post with Donovan batting there are at least 8 cards. I have a Detroit checklist book that was professionally printed in 1983, it has 8 cards which includes the Donovan batting. I have only 4 of the cards, Cobb, Crawford, Detroit Club and Jennings.

The team card is like the one posted, the only difference it has the fancy Postcard printing 3/8 inch. The Cobb, Crawford have the fancy printing for postcard at 1/4 inch. The Jennings has the plain printing of Postcard at 1/4 inch.

The Jennings has H. M. Taylor Detroit on the back.
The Cobb and Crawford have Rights reserved by H. M. Taylor Detroit

The team card has no identification and is split back.

Joe

Ty Cobb, Spikes flying!

Old 12-29-2006, 01:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

Old 12-29-2006, 05:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ryan Christoff

Thanks for the large image, Max. I see the photographer is from Wabash, Indiana where Mullin lived most of his life and ultimately died. Must have been produced locally to celebrate their home town hero.

Incredibly cool set of postcards.

Do we have any indication of how many different postcards were in the series?

-Ryan