NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-27-2005, 09:42 PM
Administrator

Default Glued Cards

Posted By: Keith

Hello all,

Looking for some advise here. I recently purchased some cards that are glued to a page in an album. I am trying to find the best way to remove them while doing the minimum amount of damage. They are actually bowman football cards, but I know PreWar collectors experience the glued to album comdition more than anyone else.
Thanks for the help.

Keith

Old 09-27-2005, 09:45 PM
Administrator

Default Glued Cards

Posted By: David Vargha

I believe there was a thread on this waaaaay back when. You are best to soak them in distilled water and go through a blotting, drying and pressing process. As long as the glue isn't solvent based, the cards should start to separate after about 30-40 minutes of complete submersion. There is no guarantee on how well the backs will fare, however.

DavidVargha@hotmail.com

Old 09-27-2005, 09:58 PM
Administrator

Default Glued Cards

Posted By: al davis

i've had success soaking the cards in a 50-50 solution of vinegar and peroxide (you can get peroxide at any drug store). you should leave the cards in the solution for 2-4 hours. blot dry after removal from solution. let dry on plain white paper (glue-side up).

Old 09-27-2005, 10:03 PM
Administrator

Default Glued Cards

Posted By: Keith

Do they commonly warp or wrinkle permanently after this treatment?

I am currently trying to complete several football sets and condition isn't that important to me as long as they are still attractive. These cards are 1951 bowmans.

I was thinking of trying to just dry peel/pull them off. I know this will damage the backs but the fronts will look ok.
But with that said, if there won't be permanent warping to the cards, I think I'll try the peroxide/vinegar concoction

Old 09-27-2005, 10:17 PM
Administrator

Default Glued Cards

Posted By: Josh K.

I do not recommend letting the cards simply dry flat. They will likely warp. To dry the cards correctly, you should blot them dry b/t two pieces of typing paper (trying to get as much excess mosture out as possible). After doing this, you should place the card(s) between new sheets of paper and place a heavy object (such as several books etc) on top of the cards. Let it sit for 2 to 3 days and the cards should dry completely and w/o warping of any kind. However, after soaking, you will need to make sure all the glue residue is removed (use a wet cloth and gently remove any residue). You should also test one card first - to make sure that it wont be damaged simply by soaking it (not all cards can be soaked).

This is a card that I soaked in distilled water to remove from a scrapbook - no warping at all.

Old 09-28-2005, 01:10 AM
Administrator

Default Glued Cards

Posted By: jay behrens

I wouldn't recommend using peroxide or vinegar. While they may whiten the paper, they are more than likely going to leave a smell. Grading companies will reeject a card if it smells like it has been chemically treated. Your best bet is to use distilled water.

Jay

My place is full of valuable, worthless junk.