NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-25-2017, 03:48 PM
Ben North

Default Had a fire sale today

Everything that was on fire was for sale.

Burned around 50,000 cards. I tried almost everything to get rid of them any other way. Couldn't even give them away and was tired of storing them.

I spent an entire day going through binders full of star players. Sorted them to remove all the doubles so when i sold them there would not be several of each card. Ended up with 218 nine pocket pages and listed them in the auction section. I ended up getting $1.15 after shipping for a whole day of work.

Now if another half million people do the same thing the they might actually be worth something.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg firesale.jpg (74.9 KB, 547 views)
File Type: jpg firesale1.jpg (57.3 KB, 542 views)
Old 01-25-2017, 03:53 PM
John Hanssen

👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
Old 01-25-2017, 04:23 PM
Curt

Did you try Craigslist for free? With (10) 5K boxes worth and you still couldn't get anyone to take them, that is surprising? First thing I thought was where do you live. I checked and see your profile lists South Dakota, so there is your problem! Next closest collector of cards is a day away! Kidding, but wow, I would have taken 50K worth of cards just to entertain myself going through them. I even tried a Craigslist add for any card pick up/removal at no cost and didn't get a single hit for anything.
Old 01-25-2017, 04:24 PM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

A video would have been HOT ! Idk if I could do that myself though.

Last edited by Rookiemonster; 01-26-2017 at 07:41 PM.
Old 01-25-2017, 05:02 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmopar View Post
First thing I thought was where do you live. I checked and see your profile lists South Dakota, so there is your problem! Next closest collector of cards is a day away!
LOL, That's only on a good horse and a clear trail.
Old 01-25-2017, 06:04 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

I saw your auction and almost bought it just for the 9-card pages. But then I remembered I had bought about five hundred pages at a yard sale for $15. I have a tub of about 30,000 right now that I'm going to donate to my church's next community yard sale.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 01-25-2017, 06:07 PM
Dave

Congrats. You must have used a gallon of lighter fluid. Some of those cards are hard to burn...........I know from experience.
Old 01-25-2017, 06:16 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default Fire

I think I see a T206 Cobb near the top of the pile.

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 01-25-2017, 06:18 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
Congrats. You must have used a gallon of lighter fluid. Some of those cards are hard to burn...........I know from experience.
6 quarts of used oil, just changed oil in my Jeep.
Old 01-25-2017, 08:55 PM
pete ullman

burn baby burn!!!!! i love it!!!!
Old 01-26-2017, 05:04 AM
Ne@l K

lol

Successful transactions with Peter Spaeth, Phil Garry, Don Hontz, JStottlemire, maj78, bcbgcbrcb, secondhandwatches, esehobmbre, Leon, Jetsfan, Brian Van Horn, Brian Dwyer, MGHPro, DeanH, canofcorn, Zigger Zagger, conor912, RayBShotz, Jay Wolt, AConte, Halbig Vintage and many others
Old 01-26-2017, 08:04 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

This was copied from the water cooler section of the board because how many times do we get to see a bonfire of baseball cards?
Old 01-26-2017, 09:04 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

I am glad you confirmed you mailed me back my 1991 Double Sided Topps card prior to posting that you burned 50k cards.
Old 01-26-2017, 09:13 AM

You did a good deed. Were there any 1987 Topps in there? That's what I have the most of, so I could use a mass burning of those cards if anyone wants to help out my retirement fund (88 Donruss also helps and I saw some in there, so thank you).

I think there are three acceptable things to do with junk wax cards to get rid of them:

Burning them will help collectors down the line if it happens enough, especially in quantities like you did. You might bring back collectors who still have them stored away, but don't collect cards anymore because they lost money on them back in the day. If they eventually have a small value, that could bring people back.

Giving them away to children. They either start to collect them, which is good for the hobby, or they throw them out, which also helps.

Cutting them up into art pieces like Tim Carroll. His process of cutting (pun intended) the junk wax population is very slow, but I like it the best.
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS

Last edited by z28jd; 01-26-2017 at 09:16 AM.
Old 01-26-2017, 11:01 AM
Lar.ry Buch.heim

I burnt mine as well, was the most fun I had with 80's & 90's junk in 20 years! You had to have a few beverages with that many cards.
Old 01-26-2017, 02:06 PM

Shipping would have been killer, if it was a local thing I would have definately picked them up. Always hated the idea of burning or throwing out cards. I've done it before also, but then I now know that somewhere, someone would have taken it. Sometimes they are not online or know that they are want to be rid of.
Old 01-26-2017, 02:13 PM
Tony Davis

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28jd View Post
You did a good deed. Were there any 1987 Topps in there? That's what I have the most of, so I could use a mass burning of those cards if anyone wants to help out my retirement fund (88 Donruss also helps and I saw some in there, so thank you).

I think there are three acceptable things to do with junk wax cards to get rid of them:

Burning them will help collectors down the line if it happens enough, especially in quantities like you did. You might bring back collectors who still have them stored away, but don't collect cards anymore because they lost money on them back in the day. If they eventually have a small value, that could bring people back.

Giving them away to children. They either start to collect them, which is good for the hobby, or they throw them out, which also helps.

Cutting them up into art pieces like Tim Carroll. His process of cutting (pun intended) the junk wax population is very slow, but I like it the best.

Can't you recycle them? Or are they not recyclable? I threw all of mine in the big blue recycle bin.
Old 01-26-2017, 02:15 PM
Tony

Next time give them to your local school, or if you have a boys and girls club in the area; My friend's wife teaches 3rd grade and I give her stacks of cards I no longer want and she gives them out to the boys (and girls if they want any) for good behavior. They love them since their older for them since most of them weren't even born yet {even if their junk 88 donruss, 90 fleer, etc} and usually she asks me several times a year If have anymore to give since the kids like them so much

Last edited by cardsnstuff; 01-26-2017 at 02:16 PM.
Old 01-26-2017, 02:33 PM
Jason Albregts

Shipping would have been high, but I always donate mine to Commons For Kids.

http://commons4kids.org/
Old 01-26-2017, 07:00 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Can you burn them in a woodstove? Such a waste...to let all that heat escape.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 01-26-2017, 07:23 PM
Bill Boyd

I have about 40,000 of those useless cards and have thought of some way of trying to rig up some sort of a nickle pack of cards again. Sort of roll back price packs. I am from the Detroit area, and I would try to place a Tiger card in each pack.
Then have some advertisement for the kids to have fun with them again. To put one in their bicycle spokes. Just have fun with the cards as they will never be worth much money. Maybe I can sell most of them that way.
At a nickle a pack for 5 cards, maybe they will strike up an interest.

Bill
Old 01-26-2017, 07:34 PM

I have been considering doing this with the boxes and boxes of game programs, yearbooks, hall of fame and hobby magazines that never sell. The buyer for BBC Exchange had a great quote about the periodicals he comes across when buying collections. Basically said he always passes on them to the surprise of the sellers.
Old 01-26-2017, 07:46 PM
je.sse @rnot

I can't say I blame you, but this does make me think about that teacher who has posted here before looking for donations. I think his kids could have had some fun with them.