NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 10-17-2016, 03:55 PM
cha.d car.lson

Default Slabs

is there anybody on here who once they buy a card that's been slabbed take the card out and put it in a more attractive holder. I did this years ago with my Brett rookie. I like the one inch screw down lucite holders. I realize you taking the value off when you do that but I'm intent on keeping my cards long-term and someday when I go to sell them I can get them reslabbed. I'd rather enjoy them in a holder that I like.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Tapatalk
Old 10-17-2016, 04:26 PM
D@niel.P@trick.Johnson

I seem to recall someone mentioning those screw-down holders can somehow damage cards. That being said, I either buy "raw" cards and keep them "raw" or, if I buy them slabbbed, I keep them in the slab. I like to keep my "raw" cards in those binder sleeves so I can look at them easily...
Old 10-17-2016, 04:32 PM
Ne@l K

Not a fan of the screw down holders.
I still have a ton of cards in 9 pocket sheets from some binders as a kid. They will stay where they are.
I have yet to crack a PSA or SGC slab, and never would crack one that holds a Brett RC!

Successful transactions with Peter Spaeth, Phil Garry, Don Hontz, JStottlemire, maj78, bcbgcbrcb, secondhandwatches, esehobmbre, Leon, Jetsfan, Brian Van Horn, Brian Dwyer, MGHPro, DeanH, canofcorn, Zigger Zagger, conor912, RayBShotz, Jay Wolt, AConte, Halbig Vintage and many others
Old 10-17-2016, 04:43 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.P.Johnson View Post
I seem to recall someone mentioning those screw-down holders can somehow damage cards. That being said, I either buy "raw" cards and keep them "raw" or, if I buy them slabbbed, I keep them in the slab. I like to keep my "raw" cards in those binder sleeves so I can look at them easily...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post
Not a fan of the screw down holders.
I still have a ton of cards in 9 pocket sheets from some binders as a kid. They will stay where they are.
I have yet to crack a PSA or SGC slab, and never would crack one that holds a Brett RC!
I could be wrong but I believe the OP is talking about the 1 screw, not 4 screw holders?
The one screw, from what I know about them, have a recessed area for the card to sit, which of course keeps all the weight off of the card.

If it's the other 4 screw type which squishes the card, then gently does it when screwing them down!

I had my Mantle and Mays in the large 4 screw cubes for over 20yrs and panicked when I read on here what they can do!

Luckily I never screwed them down tight and thankfully I placed them on their side instead of laying them flat as I ha zero issues with them when I removed them from their cubes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1579 (Large).jpg (71.4 KB, 162 views)
Old 10-17-2016, 05:01 PM
Dan Be$$e++e

When the OP refers to "one inch lucite" holders, I assume he means the 4 screw bricks. The one screws aren't a full inch thick and I don't believe they're made of lucite. If you do mean the 4 screw bricks, STAY AWAY!! Not only can they press the corners and edges, I've seen cases where the card sticks to the lucite and removing it leaves some of the ink behind.
Old 10-17-2016, 05:23 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBesse27 View Post
When the OP refers to "one inch lucite" holders, I assume he means the 4 screw bricks. The one screws aren't a full inch thick and I don't believe they're made of lucite. If you do mean the 4 screw bricks, STAY AWAY!! Not only can they press the corners and edges, I've seen cases where the card sticks to the lucite and removing it leaves some of the ink behind.
You're right, Dan. The 1 screw holders are thin compared to the cubes. Hopefully he hasn't screwed them down tight nor laid them flat on their backs for an extended period of time as I believe just the weight of them is enough to cause the sticking.

Mine are now, and have been for a while, in regular card holders with a modified/cut plastic sleeve. (New Vintage holders and sleeves are on order)
Like I mentioned, I panicked when I found out here what they can do!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MaysMick.jpg (77.6 KB, 153 views)

Last edited by irv; 10-17-2016 at 05:24 PM.
Old 10-17-2016, 05:23 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBesse27 View Post
I have seen cards warp too......from personal experience. ugh.
Old 10-17-2016, 05:51 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

The problem with them sticking is when moisture gets in and there's no place for it to get out. Plus many boxes of baseball cards have been stored in basements, attics, and garages where they are not weather or temperature-controlled.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:48 PM
cha.d car.lson

They are the one inch holders with the 4 screws as shown in the picture in this thread. Thanks for the warnings. Always put the card in a sleeve first before putting it in the holder. I just removed a Ricky Don Drysdale from one of these holders that I've had it in since 1986, and everything seems fine with the card. What does it mean to "press the corners and edges"?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Tapatalk
Old 10-17-2016, 10:46 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

The corners of the card can be compressed when the screws are tightened. The sides will be unaffected though.
Old 10-18-2016, 04:09 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

The first ones of those "brick" holders didn't have a cutout for the card width in them, so tightening them in the brick would actually flatten the card and widen it. PSA will not grade those cards, labeling them "Altered Stock" since the card is no longer it's original shape/size. Some people used them to make the card larger so they could be trimmed sharply back down to original size.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.