NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-11-2013, 07:45 PM

Default Grading services

I collect t206s and Cant understand why global authority or beckett dont seem to command the prices of cards in sgc or psa holders. Buy the card not the holder correct? Any thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-11-2013, 08:19 PM
David Pierson
Banned

Global is/was inaccurate in their grading. (Not sure they are still in biz)

Beckett is improving.

PSA is circling the drain. (They have shot themselves in the foot, but many collectors are in too deep with psa) They operate their forum like tyrants, and won't address important issues.

SGC makes mistakes too, but at this point in time I think they are the best.(I just don't like sgc holders)

All of this is jmho of course. Dave.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:05 PM
Fred

GAI provided numerical grades to trimmed cards. I'm sure PSA and SGC have done this but I'm guessing not nearly as much as GAI.

PSA has the largest registry and they've got a lot of collectors hooked on trying to build the highest graded set. I think people in vintage gravitate more towards SGC because there's less drama from them and they have a good reputation for having great customer service.

Beckett is fine but not nearly as known or popular as SGC or PSA. Personally, I liked SCD graded cards and I'll be happy to buy them at a discount because they were pretty decent at grading.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:53 PM
Steven Finley

Each TPG has hollowed out their own niche within the hobby through which their slabs carry the highest premium.
SGC - Pre-War especially T & E types.
PSA - 50's-60's-70's-and early 80's. Set registry.
BGS - Modern, especially Chrome issues.
GAI - Trimmed cards and resealed packs.
KSA/CSA - Fake Garbage. I haven't a clue who these clowns are.

*I have purchased a handful of Verisleeve cards and was pleasantly surprised with the results.
Old 11-12-2013, 02:17 PM
Br.ent !ngr@m
Br.ent Ing@am

IMO
Beckett doesn't command prices in pre war because pre war collectors typically are seasoned collectors and know that Beckett is gracious with their vintage grading.

KSA is a legit Canadian company. Good in hockey BVG like in baseball.

CSA with the blue insert w/o a detailed flip is adequate. Everything else is rubbish.

SCD with red flip is good, blue flip is worthless.

SGC is great with a crappy registry.

PSA is all about $$$$. Profit margin rules, and VIP customers get preferential service (grades). Awesome registry with inconsistent grading.

GAI for post war isn't that bad. A notch above Beckett.
Old 11-12-2013, 04:07 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfinley View Post
Each TPG has hollowed out their own niche within the hobby through which their slabs carry the highest premium.

*I have purchased a handful of Verisleeve cards and was pleasantly surprised with the results.
Spot on descriptions for SGC, PSA, and BGS. GAI is now known as Global Authority and besides grading trimmed cards and resealed packs they also grade counterfeit cards, homemade Christmas packs, altered cards, return trimmed/counterfeit/altered cards graded while keeping your cards or just plain steal your cards and never return an email. Stay away far away and never buy anything in there garbage holders. Check them out with the BBB they are a joke. I am Ben North and I approve that description of those scum bags.
Old 11-12-2013, 04:32 PM
Mich.ael We.ntz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Spot on descriptions for SGC, PSA, and BGS. GAI is now known as Global Authority and besides grading trimmed cards and resealed packs they also grade counterfeit cards, homemade Christmas packs, altered cards, return trimmed/counterfeit/altered cards graded while keeping your cards or just plain steal your cards and never return an email. Stay away far away and never buy anything in there garbage holders. Check them out with the BBB they are a joke. I am Ben North and I approve that description of those scum bags.
http://iowa.bbb.org/article/Card-Gra...y-Handed-36474
Old 11-12-2013, 04:40 PM
Mich.ael We.ntz

Last edited by MW1; 11-12-2013 at 08:34 PM.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:03 PM
David Riley

I prefer SGC
I do buy PSA. I do not sub to PSA. For me it's not cost efficient.
BVG is not as tight on grading vintage as SGC or PSA I don't think.
BGS is really good on modern, in my opinion.(also will grade modern sheet cuts)
GAI no clue.
CSA no clue.
ISA no clue
GMA no clue.
KSA for hockey, if you don't mind sheet cut, they do pretty well on the hockey grading. In my case I wanted, just for the heck of it, a Scott Stevens KSA 10 RC. Knowing full well it was most likely sheet cut, but also knowing it was for my personal collection only. I knew going in. So no disappointment.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:50 PM

Thanks all.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:56 PM
Rob Ruddy

Default Ksa

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewing View Post
IMO
Beckett doesn't command prices in pre war because pre war collectors typically are seasoned collectors and know that Beckett is gracious with their vintage grading.

KSA is a legit Canadian company. Good in hockey BVG like in baseball.
Actually, I'd take PSA or SGC over KSA any day, even for hockey. KSA usually overgrades.
Old 11-16-2013, 11:25 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfinley View Post

I would go with this but most importantly buy the card and not the slab.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:39 PM
Trey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbaron View Post
I collect t206s and Cant understand why global authority or beckett dont seem to command the prices of cards in sgc or psa holders. Buy the card not the holder correct? Any thoughts.

My 2 Cents:

If you are buying the card and not the holder, BVG is your best bet. Their holders protect your card far better than others in the industry.

Resale value complicates things, so I prefer to ignore it and focus on protecting the cards themselves.
Old 11-16-2013, 10:18 PM
Er1c Sh@rp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbaron View Post

Correct! Multiplying value based on numerical grade with the current processes will prove to be a bad financial decision if you buy as an investment. The tpg's are riddled with inconsistencies and are reliant upon what I consider a weak measuring system. Technology will catch up and improve upon the current issue of tpg's failing to decrease human grading variables so be patient and wait to pay those multipliers until the industry evolves. "Authentic" or not, or "Altered" or not is all that the existing tpg's can somewhat reliably do with any consistency. I don't understand what philosophy exists that justifies the premiums paid with such a flawed system. Everyday this forum is full of grading complaints. I hardly even visit the site anymore because it's too much complaining about flips, frauds and grading opinions.