NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 06-21-2012, 04:02 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Default Areas of focus

What do you guys focus your modern cards on? I love getting in-person autographs, cards only mainly. Joe Mauer is a huge focus, and HOF signed rookie that fall into this era, or future guys like Pujols, etc.

Love to get numbered cards signed, preferrably 1/1. My best friend had his first baseball card ever come out, and bought a ton for him and myself, and got some 1/1's signed from him. Was very neat.

Anyways, what do you collect?
Old 06-21-2012, 04:07 PM
Steve Freedman

I will buy high grade Pete Rose cards and some other rookies of players from when I was a teenager, but that's about it when it comes to modern stuff.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:39 PM
Cameron Crafton

Personally I focus them on auto cards and game used relic cards.
Also I enjoy collecting the Topps Heritage sets.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:46 PM
Tony Ooten

I have a Barry Larkin collection that is up to 1250 different cards and amazingly, not even half way home. Talk about a marathon!

Also 5 cards away from 95 ud cc se gold signatures.

Recently decided to try to collect personally autographed cards in two sets : 94 pinnacle and 95 cc se. I'm up to about a dozen in each set. Sent out about 30 TTM requests and have received two back : Will Clark and Jimmy Key. Unfortunately both signed the Pinnacle card and not the ud cc se card. Still very nice of them.... Not sure if I'll keep up that quest though! Never been a big fan of autographs, although I do have an 82 topps Gary Carter that was signed at Fulton County stadium.

Lastly I'm on the lookout for a 2009 A&G silk Chipper Jones.

That's it for me modern wise.............

It'll be interested to see if this forum causes me to want to chase any new stuff.

Tony
Old 06-21-2012, 04:50 PM
Jack Vernon

Cleveland Indians, would be so much easier if they stopped adding players, but no they just gotta keep adding names on my list, jerks

Mostly right now I'm looking for the post 80 team issues (2004 is being a nightmare and all for Jeff D'Amico in a Tribe uni) Though I'm keeping my eyes on the autographed limited runs (Justin Germano auto from the 2011 Topps Opening Day set was much harder than I expected)

Right now pretty much sitting around waiting for what 2012 Topps Update will bring to the table (So happy Topps finally did Jack Hannahan in their main set, always good to replace a program with a real baseball card)

Last edited by Seiklis; 06-21-2012 at 04:50 PM.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:56 PM
Jeff

Default Topps Heritage

I build the set every year, or used to, now I just buy a set and then I buy lots of opened cards so I can get them signed.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."

Last edited by HRBAKER; 06-21-2012 at 05:02 PM.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:15 PM
Tony Ooten

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBAKER View Post
I build the set every year, or used to, now I just buy a set and then I buy lots of opened cards so I can get them signed.
Ok I'll bite, love the autos .... what's your secret?
Old 06-21-2012, 06:33 PM
Jim M.arinari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiklis View Post
Cleveland Indians, would be so much easier if they stopped adding players, but no they just gotta keep adding names on my list, jerks

Mostly right now I'm looking for the post 80 team issues (2004 is being a nightmare and all for Jeff D'Amico in a Tribe uni) Though I'm keeping my eyes on the autographed limited runs (Justin Germano auto from the 2011 Topps Opening Day set was much harder than I expected)

Right now pretty much sitting around waiting for what 2012 Topps Update will bring to the table (So happy Topps finally did Jack Hannahan in their main set, always good to replace a program with a real baseball card)
I think I have a Jeff D'amico autographed rookie card somewhere!
Old 06-21-2012, 06:49 PM

Detroit Tigers RC Certified Auto's (Lions and Pistons too)
Old 06-21-2012, 07:34 PM
Chr!$ "Bubba" L@mb

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorrister View Post
I will buy high grade Pete Rose cards and some other rookies of players from when I was a teenager, but that's about it when it comes to modern stuff.
Steve, I know the PSA registry has some subset designations. Is there a designation for Pete Rose cards? AKA, highest graded complete PSA Pete Rose collection belongs to ......
Old 06-21-2012, 08:10 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyo View Post
Ok I'll bite, love the autos .... what's your secret?
With those, living in Atlanta for 18 years helped. They are a combination of signings @ the ballpark, Spring Training, appearances at local businesses like car dealerships and Millwood went to my church.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

Old 06-21-2012, 09:09 PM

Jeff don't remember to versions of the Big Cat in 2001 Heritage ? Is one a promo or is it from2006 Topps 52 Debut Flashbacks ?
Old 06-21-2012, 10:14 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett 75 View Post
Jeff don't remember to versions of the Big Cat in 2001 Heritage ? Is one a promo or is it from2006 Topps 52 Debut Flashbacks ?
Top row center, is one of the three promos for the set; Galarraga, Clemens and Kevin Brown. The Galarraga is the only one where the promo pose was different than the regular issue.

Old 06-22-2012, 05:56 AM
Tony Ooten

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBAKER View Post
With those, living in Atlanta for 18 years helped. They are a combination of signings @ the ballpark, Spring Training, appearances at local businesses like car dealerships and Millwood went to my church.
Thanks, very cool collection
Old 06-22-2012, 06:52 AM
Jason Presley

I mainly focus on my player collections (Dave Winfield, Dave Henderson, Roberto Kelly, Hensley Meulens, Bernardo Brito, Tuffy Rhodes, Dann Howitt, Steve Howard) which is mostly made up of less than successful sluggers (at least in MLB). Pretty much all my sales from CheckOutMyCards and Sportlots go toward expanding my player collections.

Beyond those, I try to find good deals on any undocumented (at least in the US) non-US cards I can pick up for decent prices, and compile set checklists to add to the SportsCardForum Inventory Manager system. I don't really have a lot of interest in the current sets being issued in the US, aside from the inevitable Winfield cards.

Last edited by DaClyde; 06-22-2012 at 06:53 AM.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:26 AM
Steve Birmingham

I casualy collect most of the 81- now stuff, but I mostly focus on sets I like and printing errors and varieties.

Lately Gypsy Queen, A+G and lineage.

Steve B
Old 06-22-2012, 02:17 PM
Andy H.

Default Opening packs

I like to open packs and look at and read the cards. Earlier this year, I opened my first case — 2011 Bowman Draft. Sold pretty much everything since then to recoup costs and then some. Made a couple hundred dollars off the case. Took the money and bought vintage for my PC. I don't remember the last time I paid for anything out of pocket. My modern collection is paying for my vintage collection plus grading fees. I also invested in some 2012 Bowman Chrome Cardinal prospects (Oscar Taveras and Carlos Martinez) that I plan to sell at the opportune time to fund my vintage PC.

For me, modern allows me to open packs while still building up my vintage PC

Andy
Old 06-22-2012, 03:08 PM
Rob G.

For those of you with player collections:
1) What did you use as your checklist?
2) How do you organize?

A year or so ago I started a Rickey Henderson master set and have picked up MANY duplicates. I found it easier to put a single copy of each card into a box, in order. The duplicates I also have ordered but in many other boxes.

Rob
Old 06-22-2012, 03:29 PM
Tony Ooten

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger8mush View Post
2) How do you organize?

A year or so ago I started a Rickey Henderson master set and have picked up MANY duplicates. I found it easier to put a single copy of each card into a box, in order. The duplicates I also have ordered but in many other boxes.

Rob

For my Larkin collection I got a Larkin master checklist from beckett.com about two years ago. If I remember correctly, you have to subscribe to the online price guide to get the checklists. I think I probably got a one month subscription.

I keep my collection in plastic sheets in a 5" binder, grouped by years. I'm about to bust out of that one though - will need a six inch binder soon.

Tony
Old 06-23-2012, 06:28 PM
Jason Presley

Quote:
2) How do you organize?

Rob
I started with Beckett for the checklist, but now I use the Inventory Manager at SportsCardForum. With the players I collect that spent lots of time in the minors and overseas, Beckett's usefulness quickly ran out since they pay little attention to either of those areas. For purely selfish reasons, I volunteered to help out on SCF's system to fill in the gaps so I could properly document my own collection. It will never be the "bible" of the hobby but, at least for modern cards, it makes a great checklist.

As for organization, I still pretty much stick with pages and binders for anything that fits. To be honest, anything that doesn't fit is lying around in stacks on any available flat surface.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:56 AM

Default Bernardo Brito

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaClyde View Post
I mainly focus on my player collections (Dave Winfield, Dave Henderson, Roberto Kelly, Hensley Meulens, Bernardo Brito, Tuffy Rhodes, Dann Howitt, Steve Howard) which is mostly made up of less than successful sluggers (at least in MLB).
OT to thread, but surprised to see Bernardo Brito mentioned. I went to many games when he played for the Waterbury Indians in CT circa 1986. Had to go find the foul ball caught by my father, then signed by several team members. Brito's sig is on there, and Jay Bell (the only player I think to have Major League success). Cool.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:34 PM
Chris Wassmuth

I collect anything and everything Roy Campanella. I don't care if it's a base card or a game-used card. If it's out there I want it. So if anyone here has some available let me know and maybe we can work something out.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:56 PM

Default George Brett

Quote:
2) How do you organize?

Rob
I collect George Brett cards (from his playing years only) and, like the others mentioned, started my checklist with Beckett's on-line tool. But you can't stop there. I've added hundreds of cards to the checklist over the years by gathering info from message boards, other player collectors and just running across items at shows or on eBay. If you're collecting someone like Henderson (or Brett for me) and you come across any set from his playing days he's usually in it. Sharing checklists with collectors of other contemporary players can give you a good benchmark for sets you might find your cards in.

For storage, I go with the large semi-rigid holders in a graded valut box. You can get about 400 of those in a box and they're easy to store. Plus the large semi-rigids allow you to store larger format cards and odd size items. All the cards are in the box in the order they are on my checklist so I can find them. Then I have a binder for the truly oversized items.