NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-24-2010, 04:58 AM
Rich Klein

Default O'Keeffe Daily News Article this Morning

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/mo..._a.html?page=1

Regards
Rich

Last edited by Leon; 09-24-2010 at 07:51 PM. Reason: edited title to spell Mike's name correctly
Old 09-24-2010, 05:20 AM

.....and people complain about ebay.........
Old 09-24-2010, 06:08 AM
Peter Spaeth

"The court documents, and a motion for protective order that was also filed on Wednesday, say Mastro Auctions controller Walter Tomala violated Illinois and federal laws by making 34 harassing phone calls in 46 minutes to Forman's home between 1:58 a.m. and 2:44 a.m. on Sept. 10."

Persistent!!

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:08 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Wow. This is gonna be fun...

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 09-24-2010, 06:09 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
"The court documents, and a motion for protective order that was also filed on Wednesday, say Mastro Auctions controller Walter Tomala violated Illinois and federal laws by making 34 harassing phone calls in 46 minutes to Forman's home between 1:58 a.m. and 2:44 a.m. on Sept. 10."

Persistent!!
Nah; speed dial.

Or not...
Old 09-24-2010, 07:18 AM
Barry Sloate

I don't think Corey will be too happy that he was cited in this article.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:24 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

I don't know about that, Barry. Corey never struck me as a coward who was afraid of his own shadow.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:28 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default those phone calls...

Those phone calls would have pissed me off royally.

Jeff should quit pulling punches and just say what he really feels too...

"This is just another example of their fraud," countered Jeffrey Lichtman, one of Forman's attorneys. "It was flat-out thievery."
Old 09-24-2010, 07:32 AM
Barry Sloate

Jeff- Corey doesn't like to discuss his collection publicly. The legal ramifications of this are a separate issue.

Rich K.- how did Michael O'Keeffe become McKeefe?

Last edited by barrysloate; 09-24-2010 at 07:32 AM.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:34 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Barry, are you representing Corey? Or just pretending you know what he's thinking? My guess is that Corey is concerned about fraud in the hobby, period, and wants it gone. Like I said, not everyone is terrified of their own shadow; I'm certain Corey is not.

Edited to add: you recognize that there is a bigger picture here, right?

Last edited by calvindog; 09-24-2010 at 07:36 AM.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:36 AM
Barry Sloate

I'll speak to Corey shortly and see what he says about it. If he's happy I will retract my statement.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:41 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Good, I won't leave the house until then. I will alert the court as well to the results of your conversation with Corey because, after all, the truth isn't as important as social proprieties.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:52 AM
Barry Sloate

Jeff- when Corey purchased the T210 Jackson he told me about it, with the specific instruction not to discuss it with anyone. I know his position on fraud in the hobby; I am as much in the loop as you are. But unless he orchestrated this and specifically wanted both the card and the price he paid for it made public, I will assume he would have preferred this was not in the paper.

I just got off the phone with Corey, and he said he was not happy that this appeared in the Daily News.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:01 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Barry, I'm sure Doug wasn't happy either.

Let's pull all public litigations out of court which upset witnesses: lawsuits, criminal cases, etc.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:04 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

By the way, I just spoke with Corey and he indicated that he is very upset that you drew attention to his mention in the article.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:09 AM

is this a NYC dinner thread?
Old 09-24-2010, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post

Let's pull all public litigations out of court which upset witnesses: lawsuits, criminal cases, etc.
Boy, talk about putting words in peoples' mouths. Not sure if there's some backstory beef you have with Barry, but its hard to understand your twisting of a simple but likely true comment. People not wanting their names publicly strewn all over a NY newspaper hardly equates to them not wanting to litigate.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:18 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

And last time I checked, public filings are just that. And the media is allowed to get such filings from the court. And Corey isn't litigating anything.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:19 AM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijoem View Post
is this a NYC dinner thread?
Apparently not.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:33 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

$300,000 (How much?) for a T210 Jackson--that's the biggest crime of all
Old 09-24-2010, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Jeff- Corey doesn't like to discuss his collection publicly. The legal ramifications of this are a separate issue.

Rich K.- how did Michael O'Keeffe become McKeefe?
Its like Bradgelina...
Old 09-24-2010, 11:38 AM
Rich Klein

Default It was too early in the morning

Quote:
Originally Posted by jboosted92 View Post
Its like Bradgelina...
Thanks

Rich
Old 09-24-2010, 11:52 AM

The only crime I can see is Jeff wearing that tie with that jacket. I recommend you plead color blindness.

(And, no, I have no idea what Jeff is wearing.)
Old 09-24-2010, 03:03 PM
Dan Studebaker

I have had dealings with both Mastro and SGC over the years. I have no problem if those particular transactions were made public in a court filing. However I would be disappointed if I were named in those filings as I expect a degree of privacy as a client.
Old 09-24-2010, 03:10 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

So how does one litigate without mentioning or revealing names after receiving information from said people? Protective order? Invisibility cloak?

PS: just counted: more posts on this thread (not including mine) about Corey's feelings than about Dave Forman's family being terrorized at night by Mastro's controller and about revelations of fraud against Mastro made by an ex-Mastro employee. Combined.

Last edited by calvindog; 09-24-2010 at 03:13 PM.
Old 09-24-2010, 03:52 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
So how does one litigate without mentioning or revealing names after receiving information from said people? Protective order? Invisibility cloak?

PS: just counted: more posts on this thread (not including mine) about Corey's feelings than about Dave Forman's family being terrorized at night by Mastro's controller and about revelations of fraud against Mastro made by an ex-Mastro employee. Combined.
On the one hand, as it's just a pleading not evidence, perhaps "a NY collector" or "a prominent collector" would have sufficed. On the other hand, particularly where alleging fraud which has more stringent pleading requirements, most lawyers' inclination is to be as specific as possible including naming names.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:31 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default it sucks

I think it totally sucks what happened to Dave. I would be furious if I were him.

Also, the more that comes out, especially with some revelations today, the less sympathy I am having for some "friends" in the business.

As I told the authorities today, I hope every damn person in this hobby, who has committed fraud of any kind, gets their punishment and is forced to pay restitution. Some things in that article really pissed me off and I don't mind saying it. The hobby is still a great place but I sure hope it gets a lot of cleaning up this year. Something tells me there will be some bombshells going off in the not distant future. Maybe not imminent, but I would think certainly in the next year.

As an aside, the cleaner folks will reap the rewards of not being bad people. Sometimes I almost feel like it's going to end up being "the last man standing" wins.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:35 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Leon, good for you -- that is much appreciated. I'm sure Dave feels the same.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:36 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Hey, I know: let's start a trade organization to boost the image of the hobby in the public eye. We can orchestrate a fast response public relations effort to handle articles like this. I figure if we get 20 prominent dealers and investors to pony up $10,000 each...

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 09-24-2010 at 04:36 PM.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:46 PM
Peter Spaeth

Adam, the price of joining would probably be shilled up.

Old 09-24-2010, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Hey, I know: let's start a trade organization to boost the image of the hobby in the public eye. We can orchestrate a fast response public relations effort to handle articles like this. I figure if we get 20 prominent dealers and investors to pony up $10,000 each...

Your organization is more expensive than the one they were trying to set up at the National.
Old 09-24-2010, 05:06 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
Your organization is more expensive than the one they were trying to set up at the National.
franchise fees are costly.....
Old 09-24-2010, 05:07 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Adam, good idea. You'll also need some fancy stationary on which are written vague threats to unnamed persons who dare to besmirch our great hobby. Because as you can see, vague threats really serve to shut up those pesky critics.
Old 09-24-2010, 05:11 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default no doubt

Quote:
Adam, good idea. You'll also need some fancy stationary on which are written vague threats to unnamed persons who dare to besmirch our great hobby. Because as you can see, vague threats really serve to shut up those pesky critics.
It's those cranky people on chatboards that are the real problem. That is what those "hobby do-good" organizations are going to expose . Or do I have that backwards.....well, anyway, those organizations are going to include, ....I mean root out.....the bad guys!!
Old 09-24-2010, 05:25 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
There were so many clamoring for admission that they had to raise the price to keep membership within reason.

Old 09-24-2010, 05:34 PM
Kenny Cole

I do a lot of fraud cases. By virtue of the area in which I practice, I have a fraud count in at least half my cases. You always plead the who, what, when, where and why as specifically as possible to avoid motions to dismiss. That's just the way it is.

If my goal was to remain a low profile collector, I probably wouldn't be happy either. Unfortunately, when you become involved in an alleged fraudulent scheme, wittingly or unwittingly, that goal ends up being subordinate to the more important goal of facilitating the truth-finding process. And, as Jeff mentioned earlier, pleadings are open to the media unless there is a pretty compelling reason to seal them. The pleadings aren't evidence, they're just allegations. Either a judge or a jury will sort them out later.

Kenny Cole

Last edited by Kenny Cole; 09-24-2010 at 05:35 PM.
Old 09-24-2010, 05:39 PM
Peter Spaeth

Ah, the mindset of a rapacious plaintiff's lawyer (redundant, I know). EDIT TO ADD As I said above, I understand why names were named, but I think a pleading could have been fashioned that would have survived dismissal without doing so.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 09-24-2010 at 05:43 PM.
Old 09-24-2010, 05:50 PM
Kenny Cole

Hell, its you damn defense lawyers that are always trying to either hide or excuse their client's fraud. We're just trying to expose what y'all are hired to confuse, conceal, or otherwise try to justify.

Kenny
Old 09-24-2010, 05:52 PM
Todd Schultz

Peter, I agree. While I too understand that fraud must be pled with particularity, I have a hard time seeing dismissal of a count that identifies the sale of a T210 Joe Jackson at a certain date and price to a "prominent collector". Can't see the Defendant (or counter-defendant here) arguing to the judge with a straight face that he doesn't know what transaction is at issue.
Old 09-24-2010, 05:56 PM
Kenny Cole

Todd,

You go ahead and take that risk. I think I'll plead everything I think I know so that if I draw a judge who thinks the "who" is important, I've given him the information. I'm sort of a better safe than sorry guy.

Kenny
Old 09-24-2010, 05:59 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

....especially after the Court had ordered the pleadings to include more particulars.....

Last edited by calvindog; 09-24-2010 at 06:34 PM. Reason: woops. damn civil lawyers.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:02 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Cole View Post
Hell, its you damn defense lawyers that are always trying to either hide or excuse their client's fraud. We're just trying to expose what y'all are hired to confuse, conceal, or otherwise try to justify.

Kenny
I resemble that remark.

Old 09-24-2010, 06:14 PM
Kenny Cole

LOL, I bet. But you get paid either way. I only get paid if I win.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:25 PM
Rich Klein

Default Good thing with a thread like this

I can be like Mr. Dorskind; make the 1st post and disappear

And next time, I'll get Mr O'Keefe's name correct

Rich
Old 09-24-2010, 06:30 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Hey, it costs money to build a smooth flack operation. Just the cost of background checks on possible board members for criminal records and civil lawsuits is like a grand a pop, but who'd be stupid enough to try and set up an operation to boost the integrity of the hobby fronted by guys who have to alert their parole officers when they come to meetings? That'd be like putting Tony Soprano on the board for the Policeman's Ball. It would be a laughingstock and DOA.

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 09-24-2010 at 06:32 PM.
I. "Iggy" G0nz@lez
"rich"

All of these funny lawyer jokes are making me a bit dizzy. Can we get some other type of humor in this thread? Perhaps, some dentist jargon?

Here is my small contribution...

binary clock.jpg

In my line of work, that is funny!

Lovely Day...
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
I can be like Mr. Dorskind; make the 1st post and disappear

And next time, I'll get Mr O'Keefe's name correct

Rich
Ya still got it wrong, it's O'Keeffe LOL.

Old 09-24-2010, 06:31 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Ya still got it wrong, it's O'Keeffe LOL.
Exactly. The bastard hates cards but he sure loves correct spelling.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:35 PM
Peter Spaeth

That clock thing doesn't make it to base-2 with me.

Old 09-24-2010, 06:36 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

If you had to use it in order to bill by the .1 hour increments you'd have that clock memorized backward and forward.