NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-14-2006, 02:16 PM
Administrator

Default SGC will have big holders soon

Posted By: leon

I was just speaking with an Exec at SGC and he told me they would have the machine to do the new bigger holders by around Sept.-Oct., of this year, time frame. I hope they do as I think it will allow us to get our cards graded that would have otherwise gone to less vintage 'centric' companies. I have really disliked the Barbie Doll holders of one of the companies that has tried them. PSA does an ok job on those holders....I just don't trust them as much as I do SGC...again, that is only my personal opinion. This won't get to be one of those xxx company is better than xxx company threads. On a simliar sort of note I got back a group of cards today from SGC and 2 were deemed counterfeit. I bought them a month ago from SCP, ungraded, in their last auction. I called them and there was absolutely no hesitation on them telling me to send them back for a full, immediate refund. I don't really blame them as this is one of those series that gives even experienced collectors fits....best regards

Old 06-14-2006, 02:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh K.

Leon,

What cards were deemed counterfeit by sgc?

Old 06-14-2006, 02:48 PM
Administrator

They were two of the 1928 Babe Ruth Candy Co. cards....besides Fro-Joys I think these are the hardest to tell and the most common fakes. These were good ones....I thought they were trimmed and looked a little funky...so sent them in....always better safe than sorry...and the sooner the better on this stuff....regards

Old 06-14-2006, 04:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: cmoking

Leon, when you say 'bigger holders' - how big are the holders? Are these for the T3 and other issues of that size?

Old 06-14-2006, 04:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

I've heard this song before. But at least I know I can leave my cabinets at home in July.

Old 06-14-2006, 04:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason

That is no surprise coming from SCP.

Old 06-14-2006, 06:08 PM
Administrator

I believe it's for the T3 size. And (Adam) I do believe them this time. I think the time frame I gave is realistic and conservative from what I am hearing....we'll see.....best regards

Old 06-14-2006, 06:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

I talked to SGC yesterday on the phone, & I asked about the big holders. I was told they should be ready late summer, & will fit T3's. Also, they will make the custom made gaskets to fit other issues larger than Exhibits.

Old 06-14-2006, 07:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rick

http://www.psacard.com/articles/article_view.chtml?artid=4000&universeid=314&type=1

Old 06-14-2006, 07:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: WP

Glad to see that PSA grades T3s

Old 06-14-2006, 09:03 PM
Administrator

did you see the date?

Old 06-14-2006, 09:16 PM
Administrator

Rick - Are you actually trying to make this a psa vs. sgc thread? Is that really necessary?

Old 06-14-2006, 09:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

It's not good to piss off Moderator Dude.

Jay

Growing old is not optional, growing up is.

Old 06-14-2006, 10:28 PM
Administrator

Leon has my email ...If he feels i have ever crossed the line he can send a quick one.

Obvioulsy our moderator has opinions as well...He has never had a problem reminding us which grading company he prefers or which one he dislikes.

Old 06-14-2006, 10:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

He did ask not to turn this into a which grading company is best thread. I'm the resident rabble rouser and even I have enough sense not to go against Leon's wishes in this thread. You, on the other hand don't get it or seem tothink it's OK to stir things up when asked not to.

Jay

Growing old is not optional, growing up is.

Old 06-14-2006, 11:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

On a SGC dominated board, there's nothing wrong with a PSA partisan or two. I may not always agree with his point of view, but think Rick's PSA comments on this board have been fair.

Old 06-15-2006, 12:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: quan

always 1-2 years behind and copying what's popular from ESPN. I'm glad SGC is finally coming out with larger holders so the collectors can go with their choice of graders. Hopefully the SGC-graded pricing will be B to PSA's A and we can all continue to buy stuff for cheap(er).

Old 06-15-2006, 06:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: PC

I do not want to put words in Leon's mouth, but I think Leon was referring to GAI's shrink-wrapped eyesores (otherwise known as oversized holders), and not to PSA's oversized holders. Maybe, maybe not.

I'm glad to see SGC getting into the oversized grading game, but I question how many collectors of larger items want the slab. I usually buy graded cards, but for material larger than a T201, I will continue to avoid the slabs -- the plastic is just too bulky. For the 1930's premium issues that I own, the plastic would quadruple (at least) the space needed to store these items.

Old 06-15-2006, 06:20 AM
Administrator

I don't see this turning into a "who's the best grading company?" thread. Lord knows we've had a few of those. Everyone has a right to an opinion and if Rick wants to throw in the fact that he likes PSA, so be it. But as stated I only wanted to let folks know of the new service SGC will offer soon. Personally, I rarely collect larger type cards so won't have a lot of use for it, until I finish my set, and have to get a T3, 4, and 5. Please start another thread (or actually please don't ) if we want to discuss who's better, for the millionth time...and we can see the normal alliance of grading companies. I would prefer to just leave it at "SGC is having a new service with larger holders" though....

Old 06-15-2006, 06:20 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

but if it triples the price too... lots of storage space will be found.

Old 06-15-2006, 07:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: PC

Unlike mid to low grade graded cards -- which often sell at a steep discount to the NM "book" value (whatever that means) -- I have seen the mid-size/large items go for premiums because they are slabbed, even for the lower to mid-grades.

As a buyer, I'm not going to pay the EX-NM price for a Kashin or Fine Pen graded 3 by PSA or SGC, when the unslabbed version goes for half the price (which is what a VG item should sell for). Not sure why the market is behaving this way, but my guess is that mid-size to large premium issues are still rare in PSA and SGC slabs, and some collectors are paying up for the slab (for registry purposes, or simply for the confidence the graded item brings to the transaction).

So, for the time being, the slab certainly brings in more money for the seller, even for off-condition material. I doubt that will last. Of course, the NM+ slabbed stuff will always sell at a premium, but that seems fair to me. And since I don't have much in the NM+ category, I doubt I'll ever be sending my Butterfingers, R303s and R311s in to be slabbed (since in the future, the slabbed grade may only serve to drive the price down).

But in the event the PSA, SGC and (*ack*) GAI slabs are discontinued, they can always sell the unused slabs to schools as cafeteria trays.

Old 06-15-2006, 09:35 AM
Administrator

My problem with the psa post is that it simply serves no purpose. So big deal, psa came out with a large slab before sgc. As is often the case, the companies that enter the market later end up doing better in the long run. Woohoo psa is soooo innovative because they were able to slab T3s first (well, actually second I think, though its hard to look at supersized gai slab without laughing).

Old 06-15-2006, 12:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Matthew

Actually, I usually just cry when I see the oversized GAI holders.

Old 06-15-2006, 12:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard

If I am not mistaken, PSA only uses its T3 holders to slab T3 cards. However, nothing else between the size of a T3 and an exhibit has been slabbed in their oversized holder using a gasket.

If SGC makes a holder than can hold a T3 AND include a wide array of gaskets that will allow them to slab everything else in between, they will be first to market.

Of course, PSA will be right behind.

Old 06-15-2006, 01:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

Who said PSA needs gaskets, they have condems to put in the holders.

Lee

Old 06-15-2006, 05:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

I would guess I am using SGC 30% and GAI 70% but anything like a Zeenut which goes in a larger holder goes directly to SGC. I detest the license plate holders GAI uses.