NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-15-2006, 06:48 PM
Administrator

Default T-206 Difficulty - Ames Hands At Chest

Posted By: RayB

In Scot's great manuscript on the T-206 set he indexes difficulty by Series as well as the overall diffiulty.
In the list of 150/350 subjects, it seems widely recognized and established that the first three mentioned subjects; Lundgren (Chicago), Schulte (Front View) and Ganley are exceedingly tough (although based on overall rank;"exceedingly" may be stretching it for Schulte and Ganley).
Number 4 on that 150/350 list (a card I am fortunate enough to own) is Ames (Hands At Chest). I don't recall anyone specifically discussing this card as tough and was wondering if anyone has hypothesized about the cause for Scot's calculations on this and it's evident scarcity in total card count and high grade possibilites.
For the record I have a Piedmont 150 PSA 3.

For those of you who own the card; did you find it particularly difficult to come by? In the overall rankings it still falls behind SL's and ranks 64th but is only a notch or two behind the aforementioned Schulte and Ganley.
Thoughts.
RayB

Old 06-15-2006, 09:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scot Reader

Ray,
First of all, thanks for the kudos. I think most will agree that Ames (Hands at Chest) is one of the more difficult commons. This is borne out by my survey data and also the PSA population report. Additionally, this card sells for a premium whenever it comes up on ebay--which I believe further attests to its relative scarcity. I have owned a few hundred T206 commons but this one has proven elusive since I have never been willing to pay a substantial premium for it. Now I'll shut up and let others comment.
Scot

Old 06-16-2006, 08:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim Rivera

This one was more difficult and I am pretty sure I got it along with the portrait version (also hindu)from a board member not ebay

Old 06-16-2006, 10:39 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

Hi,

My Ames is a Piedmont 150. It was one of the last 10 commons for me to get, which means I was not willling to pay a premium until the end when I finally did purchase it. Jones and Doyle throwing were also on my last 10 that I remember.

Lee

Old 06-16-2006, 12:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

I see more of certain T206 SLers than I do 206s like Ganley, Lindeman, Steinfeld portrait, Rhoades arm extended, etc. Not saying that the scarceness of the Southern Leaguers is overstated but it is funny how often they pop up on ebay compared to certain "commons" which appear to be very tough. Lindeman in particular is extremely hard to find in exmt or better.

Old 06-16-2006, 02:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

...had its edges trimmed off long ago. If you find them, please send them to me.