NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-12-2018, 10:44 AM
@ndrew woo.dfin

Default "To Out" or "Not to Out"

What is the boards thought on outing an auction and not outing.

I have mixed feelings about it. It is a card(s) posted to the public for sale so obviously if someone wants to talk about it they should be able to by all means. That is unless I am bidding on it.

So what say you?

Member since 2009
Old 03-12-2018, 10:51 AM
Rob

Outing it for what? Fraud, alteration, etc?

Isn't that done here all the time?
Old 03-12-2018, 11:03 AM
je.sse @rnot

I have no problem with auctions being outed. I feel members should refrain from making disparaging remarks about an item that's still open for bidding as there is a reasonably good chance that could be another member's consignment.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:25 AM

I've been around here a long time, well before the 2009 site change. Historically people do get bent out of shape when auctions are outed.

I think there's some times it's not frowned upon...like when there's something very special being auctioned that transcends the hobby, and makes for great discussions, like Heritage's upcoming PSA 9 52 Mantle, (which will already have tons of eyes on it)...and then also when there's a specific concern over something being real, in which case the poster is trying to warn fellow collectors of a possible fraud (like the Cobb/BL460).

But, in the case of middle of the road (legitimate) items, most bidders are hoping they stay under the radar.

Last edited by MVSNYC; 03-12-2018 at 01:06 PM.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:27 AM
Rob

Oh...That kind of outing. My policy is, if I'm interested in the item, mums the word.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:38 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
Oh...That kind of outing. My policy is, if I'm interested in the item, mums the word.
Haha...this!!!!! Like most topics on this board...there is no 1 answer. When should a post be allowed in the wrong section? Seems there are exceptions abound. Same as "outing" an auction.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:53 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I see no problem "outing" an auction. I am careful not to crap on something a board member may be trying sell. However "does that look right" kind of posts are fine with me.

I've seen instances where someone simply posts "wow, did you see that Cobb on Heritage. . ." and people get their panties in a twist. Like it's a big secret or something. Never understood that at all, like we are supposed to be quiet and not draw attention to someone that some dude is looking at. On the internet. All poppycock if you ask me.

Long winded. . . I have no problem "outing an auction" and for the life of me just don't get it.

I've been accused of outing entire auctions. "Hey, is anyone watching Hunt" kind of stuff. Evan a deeper level of absurdity.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 03-12-2018 at 11:54 AM.
Old 03-12-2018, 01:02 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
I see no problem "outing" an auction. I am careful not to crap on something a board member may be trying sell. However "does that look right" kind of posts are fine with me.

I've seen instances where someone simply posts "wow, did you see that Cobb on Heritage. . ." and people get their panties in a twist. Like it's a big secret or something. Never understood that at all, like we are supposed to be quiet and not draw attention to someone that some dude is looking at. On the internet. All poppycock if you ask me.

Long winded. . . I have no problem "outing an auction" and for the life of me just don't get it.

I've been accused of outing entire auctions. "Hey, is anyone watching Hunt" kind of stuff. Evan a deeper level of absurdity.
It's hard to believe that consignors haven't come on here and outed their own auction items unbeknownst to everyone else. Why wouldn't you do that.
Old 03-12-2018, 01:16 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Not posting an ongoing auction is one of those 'unwritten rules,' as in baseball. Some people are strongly for this rule and insist everyone should follow it, but it is not a codified rule except in their minds. At the latest broken MLB unwritten rule brewhaha, some baseball people will respond "There's a reason it's unwritten. Because it ain't a rule."

I'm not against the rule and follow it (except in private conversations), but nowhere is it a law and, as in baseball, it gets comical when someone gets bent out of shape about unwritten rules that "have to be followed by everyone."

Certainly, if the public comments are about authenticity, identity, dating or important details concerning a current auction lot, those are talked about on this board with regularity and don't break that "unwritten rule."

Last edited by drcy; 03-12-2018 at 01:36 PM.
Old 03-12-2018, 01:57 PM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

I personally don't like when someone outs an auction.

What bothers me the most is when a seller outs his own auction to beef up interest. If that's okay to do, then I will out all my auctions.

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard
Old 03-12-2018, 02:11 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buythatcard View Post

What bothers me the most is when a seller outs his own auction to beef up interest. If that's okay to do, then I will out all my auctions.
Don't understand this logic at all. The most basic rules of marketing indicate that it's not only ok to do...it's mandatory.

Why wouldn't you want to beef up interest in your items? If someone wants to give their items away, they can take them to Goodwill rather than leaving it to chance at the mercy of the unwritten rules of secret auctions.
Old 03-12-2018, 02:11 PM
+0m J()rd@N

So what's the purpose of 'not outing an auction'? Allowing someone to pay less than fair market value for an item? Artificially limiting demand for an item and therefore reducing a seller's income? Manipulating free market conditions?

I'm all for fair and efficient markets. The whole things sounds communist to me.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 03-12-2018, 02:51 PM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

Quote:
Don't understand this logic at all. The most basic rules of marketing indicate that it's not only ok to do...it's mandatory.

Why wouldn't you want to beef up interest in your items? If someone wants to give their items away, they can take them to Goodwill rather than leaving it to chance at the mercy of the unwritten rules of secret auctions.
Don't get me wrong, I am all for letting everyone know about my auctions. Marketing is the key to let everyone know, It's just my understanding that you are not allowed to out your own auction here on Net54 unless you are a paid advertiser.

Buythatcard

Old 03-12-2018, 02:53 PM
Steve Birmingham

The purpose doesn't really matter does it?

What does matter to me is if something is listed oddly or in a place that's not obvious. Like lets say I list a bunch of stuff and forget to change the category so a T206 Cobb gets listed in the bicycle parts section of Ebay.

As a buyer, I wouldn't want the entire list to know about it. Even though many people use specific searches and it will probably bring an appropriate price anyway.
If it's in the baseball card section, out away, everyone who is going to outbid me - nearly everyone- has probably seen it.

If a card or something is in a small poorly publicized auction, that's something I'd like to keep fairly quiet.
That being said, when the auction I used to go to(now closed) had cards that I thought were a good fit for someone that I couldn't afford I did tell a couple people who I knew might be interested. Just not publicly
Old 03-12-2018, 02:58 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:

On the BST page there is an section where people can pimp their own auctions if they want. Doesn't belong on page 1.
Old 03-12-2018, 03:00 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy View Post
So what's the purpose of 'not outing an auction'? Allowing someone to pay less than fair market value for an item? Artificially limiting demand for an item and therefore reducing a seller's income? Manipulating free market conditions?

I'm all for fair and efficient markets. The whole things sounds communist to me.
The point is to steal something at a lower price because others would be interested it if they knew about it.
Old 03-12-2018, 03:01 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:

So you don't like when someone outs an auction, yet have a link on your posts to your eBay page. Mmmmm. Trying to process that.
Old 03-13-2018, 03:58 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

The major issue that has happened MANY times on this board and others, is that by outing an auction, you've now jeopardized the completion of an agreed to sale. That's why I asked years ago on the board, and the consensus was that you should wait 7 days to ask about a sale. That gives the buyer enough time to pay and the seller to deliver.
Many times, unscrupulous people (and yes, this board has their fair share or lurkers) will contact the seller and get them to cancel the sale in favor of a higher priced off-eBay deal.
Hell, it just happened in February on the 1951 Bowman Mantle PSA 4.5.

And advertising your eBay page is a ton different than saying "Hey guys, there is this awesome T206 on eBay ending tomorrow!" in a post on the front page.

If there's fraud, I get it. But don't just post an item asking if it's fraudulent just because the price is too good.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 03-13-2018, 04:03 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

I don't understand the concept of "outing" an auction, is it hidden where no one can see it?
Old 03-13-2018, 05:45 AM
@ndrew woo.dfin

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapolit1 View Post
so you don't like when someone outs an auction, yet have a link on your posts to your ebay page. Mmmmm. Trying to process that.
see next post

Member since 2009

Last edited by T205 GB; 03-13-2018 at 05:48 AM.
Old 03-13-2018, 05:47 AM
@ndrew woo.dfin

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
The major issue that has happened MANY times on this board and others, is that by outing an auction, you've now jeopardized the completion of an agreed to sale. That's why I asked years ago on the board, and the consensus was that you should wait 7 days to ask about a sale. That gives the buyer enough time to pay and the seller to deliver.
Many times, unscrupulous people (and yes, this board has their fair share or lurkers) will contact the seller and get them to cancel the sale in favor of a higher priced off-eBay deal.
Hell, it just happened in February on the 1951 Bowman Mantle PSA 4.5.

And advertising your eBay page is a ton different than saying "Hey guys, there is this awesome T206 on eBay ending tomorrow!" in a post on the front page.

If there's fraud, I get it. But don't just post an item asking if it's fraudulent just because the price is too good.
I have read a lot of good responses and I really like what you laid out there John.

Member since 2009
Old 03-13-2018, 06:58 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:

It's ok to do until you get caught (outing your own auction). Then you won't do it any longer on this board as you will be warned and then banned.

And to answer a question above, yes paid advertisers will be able to advertise on the front page but they are few and far between (besides auction date notes.)

And lastly, except for outing your own auction, there is no board rule against outing anything. It has been discussed many times before.

Last edited by Leon; 03-13-2018 at 08:51 AM.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
...And advertising your eBay page is a ton different than saying "Hey guys, there is this awesome T206 on eBay ending tomorrow!" in a post on the front page.

This seems to best sum it up, most eloquently.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:26 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I consider it a benefit of community when an expert in an issue raises concerns over an auction. I know many collectors who've been saved from making bad purchases by information provided on this forum and others by concerned collectors.

I think we also have to differentiate between eBay and auctions, and sales and auctions:

--I would never want to comment on an active sale from the BST here (except in cases of fraud) because it might mess up someone's deal. There is little that is more divisive in a collecting community than interfering with someone else's deal. Think of it like Guido the Killer Pimp in Risky Business: "In these trying economic times, never, ever f*** with another man's livelihood."

--I would prefer not to see comments on eBay offerings because so often things do fly under the radar there.

--For any regular auction house, I see no harm in mentioning a lot offered; we all get the same emails and catalogs and see the same stuff anyway.

Personally, I don't comment on pending auctions (except for fraud or marquee items that everyone is talking about); if there happens to be something I spot I'd rather not broadcast it or have it broadcast. One of my favorite items ever flew under the radar in a major auction and I show it off whenever I can:

But I have no criticism of whoever feels otherwise about commenting on a pending auction at an AH; it is just my preference.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 03-13-2018 at 10:27 AM.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:34 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
It's ok to do until you get caught (outing your own auction). Then you won't do it any longer on this board as you will be warned and then banned.
Just curious...What's the logic behind this policy?
Old 03-13-2018, 11:44 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default BST transactions ...in the correct areas

Quote:
Just curious...What's the logic behind this policy?
We have areas to do those transactions. So after being warned, if someone does it again (and there were no pure mistakes involved), they are gone. Does that seem wrong to you?
Old 03-13-2018, 11:53 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
I consider it a benefit of community when an expert in an issue raises concerns over an auction. I know many collectors who've been saved from making bad purchases by information provided on this forum and others by concerned collectors.

I think we also have to differentiate between eBay and auctions, and sales and auctions:

--I would never want to comment on an active sale from the BST here (except in cases of fraud) because it might mess up someone's deal. There is little that is more divisive in a collecting community than interfering with someone else's deal. Think of it like Guido the Killer Pimp in Risky Business: "In these trying economic times, never, ever f*** with another man's livelihood."

--I would prefer not to see comments on eBay offerings because so often things do fly under the radar there.

--For any regular auction house, I see no harm in mentioning a lot offered; we all get the same emails and catalogs and see the same stuff anyway.

Personally, I don't comment on pending auctions (except for fraud or marquee items that everyone is talking about); if there happens to be something I spot I'd rather not broadcast it or have it broadcast. One of my favorite items ever flew under the radar in a major auction and I show it off whenever I can:

But I have no criticism of whoever feels otherwise about commenting on a pending auction at an AH; it is just my preference.
WOW! That's some Ali/Clay piece!!!
Old 03-13-2018, 12:15 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
We have areas to do those transactions. So after being warned, if someone does it again (and there were no pure mistakes involved), they are gone. Does that seem wrong to you?
I agree with Leon, seems obvious actually. Imagine if everyone was allowed to promote their own auctions on the main page. There would be no room left for the discussion threads.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:06 PM
Rob

Quote:
Oh...So you're saying it's only an issue if it's done outside of the BST section...ie on the home page? I thought you were saying it wasn't allowed anywhere.
Old 03-13-2018, 02:53 PM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
So you don't like when someone outs an auction, yet have a link on your posts to your eBay page. Mmmmm. Trying to process that.
When setting up your Net54 profile, there is a place to enter your home page url. So, every time you post something on the board, it will be displayed. Try to process that!

Buythatcard