NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 08-26-2014, 01:20 PM
Skip

Default Reproducing Pennants

I need insight on reproducing pennants.

I have 3 different pennants for the Nashville Vols/Sulphur Dell, all from around 1958-1961. These can be reproduced at a reasonable cost, and am leaning towards doing so because so many people write to me asking where they can purchase one and I don't believe there are a lot of these around.

I would print something on each one (probably my web site address, not sure yet) to differentiate that these are not to be confused with existing vintage pennants. I am not interested in devaluing any that collectors may have, but simply for the reason stated above.

Cost would be around $30.00. Any opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Skip
Old 08-26-2014, 01:30 PM
Rob

If you think there's a market, I think it's a great idea. I would love to have reproductions of the 5-10 SF Giants pennants I am missing and will probably never find.
Old 08-26-2014, 01:32 PM
Louie Michaud

I'd second that, on the Giants pennants too!
Old 08-26-2014, 01:45 PM

Skip...I would think with the opening of the new stadium at Sulphur Dell next year it would be a great opportunity an and increased interest in this historic baseball site.
Old 08-26-2014, 03:42 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Great idea...

The pennants being made today are basically crap, so some high quality repros would make great commemoratives. And the classic Felt Pennant really is the quintessential baseball souvenir.

If you do proceed, please just be sure of 2 things...

1. Make sure that the disclaimer or web address isn't removable or easily altered. A lot of those higher-quality Mitchell & Ness Repros are still being sold as original (on ebay and elsewhere).

2. Be sure to post final result here.... would love to see how these turn out
Old 08-26-2014, 09:50 PM

Count me in on the great idea sentiments. I have been looking for dead ball era pennants and there is nothing out there.
Old 08-27-2014, 12:32 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Yes- they have completely dried up.

They're rarely even in the premium catalog auctions anymore
Old 08-27-2014, 09:27 AM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Yes- they have completely dried up.

They're rarely even in the premium catalog auctions anymore
It must be pretty damp at your house then.......
Old 08-29-2014, 02:30 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo View Post
It must be pretty damp at your house then.......
Well it is the Seattle area
Old 08-29-2014, 06:51 AM
Skip

I'll update here once I receive my initial run. I am still deciding how to "mark" these since they will be replicas.

I am wary if reproducing pennants from the past for MLB clubs dye to trademark/copyright infringement. Anyone have expertise in this area?

Thanks for the comments, PMs and encouragement!

Skip
Old 08-29-2014, 07:52 AM
Jim Murphy

getting anything in reference to copyrights from MLB will cost you a fortune.

There pretty much have one on every team ever, forever

But just did a quick look up and the name, Nashville Vols or Volunteers is not listed in the Tennessee Corporate name search

So for $20.00 you may be able to get it.

Last edited by murphusa; 08-29-2014 at 08:02 AM.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:39 AM
Skip

I own trademarks through the state of Tennessee Secretary of State. The pennants I am reproducing will actually have "tm" on them, where the originals did not.

I would not think of reproducing anything that would come remotely close to infringement. After working in the Licensed Products field for over 40 years, I have seen my share of infringements and want no part of it.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:42 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashvol View Post

I would not think of reproducing anything that would come remotely close to infringement. After working in the Licensed Products field for over 40 years, I have seen my share of infringements and want no part of it.
Aw, c'mon.....we wouldn't rat you out.

Seriously, though.....I have a couple hundred NY and SF Giants pennants. I think only a small percentage were put out by the team....the rest seem to be more likely one offs from any number of long gone entrepreneurs.
Old 08-29-2014, 02:03 PM
Skip

No doubt.

I don't want to be among their company, and as far away from it as possible.
Old 08-29-2014, 02:39 PM
Mike H.

The word reproduction and the year of manufacture must be PAINTED on the back so it can't be removed like a tag. Some permanent marking is the only way I would want any part of these. Anything can be aged artificially, so please please please make it exceedingly difficult to hide the origin of every piece.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:43 PM
Jim Murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashvol View Post
I own trademarks through the state of Tennessee Secretary of State. The pennants I am reproducing will actually have "tm" on them, where the originals did not.

Tell that to mlb