NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 06-03-2013, 07:49 AM
Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKreindler View Post
Lovely pick-ups, Craig!

Getting original shots from Mantle's first game isn't the easiest of things to do. And like you mentioned, I think I've only seen one other out example of this out there. I'm glad it's in the hands of such a passionate Mantle fan!

Graig
Graig - don't want to hog this thread but I thought you, in particular, would appreciate this other slide that I got in Henry's auction. In the write-up, Henry refers to Newman's description of this one as - the "Ruthian" image of Mickey "as the left-handed follow through of Mantle's mighty swing in this shot resembled how Babe Ruth would have appeared, cork-screwing himself into the ground from the tremendous torque generated." For me, it's a wonder that Mickey's right ankle survived!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg twistedcopy.jpg (75.8 KB, 80 views)
Old 06-03-2013, 08:56 AM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Craig,
Don't be afraid to hog up the thread. That's why we start these to see the new stuff we get!
Your choice in photos is outstanding. Some great images. I really like the clubhouse one as well. Those pics really show the other/human side of the players. Along those lines, I really wanted the picture of Gehrig signing the baseballs for all the kids, but it was not to be this time. I wound up with just the 2 pics I posted at the beginning of the thread, but am very satisfied.
Show us more if you won them.
Anyone else win anything from Henry?

Mark

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 06-03-2013, 09:10 AM

Default Matty

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnaz01 View Post
I got the 1910's Christy Mathewson Type 1 photo
Greg,

Great pickup. I had considered bidding strongly for this as well...but ended up passing. Nice pickup.

Regards,

Z Wheat
Old 06-03-2013, 09:55 AM
Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordstan View Post
Craig,
Don't be afraid to hog up the thread. That's why we start these to see the new stuff we get!
Your choice in photos is outstanding. Some great images. I really like the clubhouse one as well. Those pics really show the other/human side of the players. Along those lines, I really wanted the picture of Gehrig signing the baseballs for all the kids, but it was not to be this time. I wound up with just the 2 pics I posted at the beginning of the thread, but am very satisfied.

Mark
O.K. Mark. This is an original Type 1 United Press photo showing Mantle in the on-deck circle that was taken by noted Life and SI photographer Arthur Rickerby. A super image from 1956, Mickey's best and favorite year. In this particular case, the written captions on the back are just as important as the wonderful image on the front.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MM'56copy.jpg (76.0 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg 20d.jpg (44.9 KB, 69 views)
Old 06-03-2013, 10:00 AM
Craig

Quote:
Craig,

Mark
Here's a terrific Type 1 showing that magnificent and "natural" swing of the Mick during the first day of spring training in 1955.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg '55 swing copy.jpg (76.1 KB, 70 views)
Old 06-03-2013, 10:20 AM
Craig

Quote:
Craig,

Mark
And the last one from Henry's auction - a lot that did not draw much attention but, for me at least, is a very poignant 1957 image of Mickey showing how difficult losing was for him. The Yankees lost the WS to Milwaukee that year but did exact revenge by defeating the Braves in the '58 WS. In his first few seasons Mickey's response to frustration was routinely taken out on that poor water cooler but this photo illustrates a deeper, more human quality that reflects his own frailties and inability to cope with defeat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg depressedcopy.jpg (74.6 KB, 69 views)
Old 06-03-2013, 01:21 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Are you sure Mick wasn't hung over there?
Old 06-03-2013, 02:33 PM
Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2686 View Post
Are you sure Mick wasn't hung over there?
Mike, that was always a high probability possibility!!!