NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-21-2012, 08:47 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default 1907-1910 Weiser Wonder - Walter Johnson PC, new to the hobby

Thought I would resurrect an old debate on this postcard. It came from outside of the hobby and was in the family of the original owner until now. In my bit of research I don't see where anyone mentioned this/these postcards have a "Copyright '07" on the front of them, right below his right knee and to the left a tiny bit? Obviously this can't be later than 1910 due to the postmark on it. Comments are hoped for... Btw, this thing is so neat it almost makes me want to start collecting postcards!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spcunc1910sweiserjohnson.jpg (78.0 KB, 1213 views)
File Type: jpg spcunc1910sweiserjohnsonb.jpg (75.2 KB, 1188 views)
Old 12-21-2012, 09:04 AM
pete ullman

Awesome! You DO collect postcards!
Old 12-21-2012, 09:32 AM
pariah1107

Awesome PC Leon. Don't know what type of info you are looking for but I believe Johnson played for the Weiser Kids (1906-July 1907), 84 consecutive scoreless innings pitched in 1907. He worked for the local telephone/telegraph company in Weiser, Idaho.

The subject of the PC is interesting, sounds as though these two are cattlemen, one looking for work in Wyoming. Weiser is the last town up river from Hells Canyon and was a popular Ferry point across the Weiser River, which combines with the Snake. Today, the town is known as the "Fiddling Capital of the World", and has some great sturgeon fishing.

Last edited by pariah1107; 12-21-2012 at 10:25 AM.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:43 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pariah1107 View Post
Awesome PC Leon. Don't know what type of info you are looking for but I believe Johnson played for the Weiser Senators (1906-July 1907), 84 consecutive scoreless innings pitched in 1907. He worked for the local telephone/telegraph company in Weiser, Idaho.

The subject of the PC is interesting, sounds as though these two are cattlemen, one looking for work in Wyoming. Weiser is the last town up river from Hells Canyon and was a popular Ferry point across the Weiser River, which combines with the Snake. Today, the town is known as the "Fiddling Capital of the World", and has some great sturgeon fishing.
Thanks Ty...here is another scan of the back. The info I am interested in hearing about is why, when the dating of this has been discussed before, no one has ever mentioned the copyright date of 1907 on the front? I am not saying it was produced then but it certainly merits some thought if folks are trying to date it. If it IS 1907 it would make it one of, if not the, first Walter Johnson card. All that being said I very well might have missed someone pinpointing the date of it. This particular postcard was sent to the person's grandfather from whom I acquired it, according to them...and I have no reason to believe otherwise.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:44 AM
Robert A

I go there every year for the fiddle festival. Pretty much everyone in town has a garage sale that week. I've found some pretty cool stuff, but not this PC which I have seen before and wouldn't mind running into. Or anything vintage WJ would be fine. Either way, it's a great little town and worth the long drive from Seattle.

I don't know about the dating of it, but maybe the photo dates to 1907, but the PC was made in 1910.

Rob

Last edited by caramelcard; 12-21-2012 at 09:48 AM.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:45 AM
Hank Thomas

How interesting. I had always thought this postcard was of later vintage, teens to perhaps even the 20s based on the relatively modern looking graphics. The copyright of 1907 is in the photo itself, though, the original of which was auctioned several years ago by a cousin of mine. It's possible the postcard could date from 1907, after his first partial season with Washington, but could also have been produced anytime between then and Nov 1910, according to this postmark. This could be his rookie card, which I guess is now considered to be the American Caramel card from 1908, although I could be mistaken about that. Great find, in any case. I had Walter's copy of this card at one time, from his scrapbooks.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:57 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankphenom View Post
How interesting. I had always thought this postcard was of later vintage, teens to perhaps even the 20s based on the relatively modern looking graphics. The copyright of 1907 is in the photo itself, though, the original of which was auctioned several years ago by a cousin of mine. It's possible the postcard could date from 1907, after his first partial season with Washington, but could also have been produced anytime between then and Nov 1910, according to this postmark. This could be his rookie card, which I guess is now considered to be the American Caramel card from 1908, although I could be mistaken about that. Great find, in any case. I had Walter's copy of this card at one time, from his scrapbooks.

Thanks Hank. Yes, I saw the original cabinet that had the "1907" in it. I don't know all there is to know about copyright dates but I haven't seen anything to make me think this postcard wasn't printed earlier than 1910. I believe that sometimes copyright dates are in fact used as dating of items. Again, not trying to necessarily feather my own nest but it is interesting no one, I saw, ever bring up the date on the card itself. That was the main thrust of the initial post, as well as to show a really cool postcard .

Old 12-21-2012, 10:05 AM
Hank Thomas

So the possible time frame is August, 1907 to November, 1910, with no evidence arguing in favor of any particular date within that period. Right?
Old 12-21-2012, 10:14 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
So the possible time frame is August, 1907 to November, 1910, with no evidence arguing in favor of any particular date within that period. Right?
Hi Hank
Not being patronizing here but you probably know more than anyone about Walter Johnson. I don't have any info to dispute that span of dates you mentioned. I don't know why a company would produce a card AFTER the player left a team, rather than when he played for it, but it could be solely for publicity/advertising. Without other contradictory evidence I think there is reason to believe it was printed in the 1907 time frame. And as you mentioned, and can well be seen by the postmark, it couldn't have been printed after 1910. Here is another article sent to me by a nice board member...One other thing that makes this postcard a bit more interesting is that it is actually postmarked from Weiser, going to Boise. There seems to be a lot of info pertaining to Walter and those cities.

http://www.examiner.com/article/the-...walter-johnson

Old 12-21-2012, 10:24 AM
pariah1107

Hope this helps Leon, here's an article on the 1906-07 season in Weiser. Sounds as though the fans in Weiser did not really warm-up to the young man until his phenomenal 1907 season (last game for them July 21, 1907). No references to "Weiser Wonder". I agree it would not make sense to promote a young man who had just left your town. Sounds as though they tried to bribe him to stay, offering him a cigar store downtown.

http://cwcfamily.org/wj/ww2.htm
Old 12-21-2012, 10:29 AM
Matt

My only comment is . . . where is the quarter at?

Matt
Old 12-21-2012, 10:35 AM
Belltown Vintage

Johnson was a wise man, but a Weiser youth.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:51 AM
D@ve R1cks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
It's pronounced "Weez-er", like the band. Just sayin'
Old 12-21-2012, 10:53 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by honus94566 View Post
I pronounce 'wise' 'weez', don't you?
Old 12-21-2012, 10:59 AM

Here is an interesting piece together of a couple old posts/quotes. Hopefully I'm interpreting these right as I don't collect postcards

1-The dividing line on Postcards started on March 1, 1907.

2-For a short time after that, postcards still had white space on front for writing purposes, basically printers using up what they had to save on money

3-If yours has the white space on front and the divide line, then it was probably made shortly after March 1st

The first two are facts, the third is an assumption based on those facts
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 12-21-2012, 11:03 AM
Greg B.
Greg Bish.op

Quote:
Incorrect, just sayin

http://www.forvo.com/word/weiser/
Old 12-21-2012, 11:07 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
300 miles to the east of Weiser, I've seen a number of geezers, both kinds.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:23 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Good points all. A copyright date is the date of creation of the image, not the date the object using the image was created. The copyright in this case is scratched into the negative of the image, which is why it is white on the field of the image. The PC is made using the image and other artwork. It had to be made around 1907 at the earliest because it would not have been a legal PC before that time, and obviously it was made before the post-date. Other than that, you cannot pin down any specifics from the item itself. You cannot simply assume that production ended when Johnson left the team; it may well have continued after they realized what a phenom he was.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 12-21-2012, 12:31 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by pariah1107 View Post
Hope this helps Leon, here's an article on the 1906-07 season in Weiser. Sounds as though the fans in Weiser did not really warm-up to the young man until his phenomenal 1907 season (last game for them July 21, 1907). No references to "Weiser Wonder". I agree it would not make sense to promote a young man who had just left your town. Sounds as though they tried to bribe him to stay, offering him a cigar store downtown.

http://cwcfamily.org/wj/ww2.htm
That's my article. Here's a link to the full piece, with intro, etc.
http://cwcfamily.org/wj/ww0.htm

As for the point about not promoting Johnson after he left town, I don't believe they would have been promoting him UNTIL he had left town and begun making a name for himself in Washington, at which point he would have become the biggest thing to ever come out of there and worth promoting. There's no doubt in my mind that this postcard was issued after Johnson had "made good," as they used to call it, in the American League. Of course, he did that almost immediately.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:30 PM
D@ve R1cks

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneheadandrube View Post
Incorrect, just sayin

http://www.forvo.com/word/weiser/
Ja, I know how it's pronounced in German...

My family is all from Idaho and I dated a girl from Parma (just a few miles away from Weiser) for a number of years. Believe me, the town's pronounced "Weezer". At least by anyone living within a 200 mile radius of the area.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weiser,_Idaho
"Locals pronounce the city's name as "Wee-zer."
Old 12-21-2012, 01:39 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
That's my article. Here's a link to the full piece, with intro, etc.
http://cwcfamily.org/wj/ww0.htm

As for the point about not promoting Johnson after he left town, I don't believe they would have been promoting him UNTIL he had left town and begun making a name for himself in Washington, at which point he would have become the biggest thing to ever come out of there and worth promoting. There's no doubt in my mind that this postcard was issued after Johnson had "made good," as they used to call it, in the American League. Of course, he did that almost immediately.

I don't know Hank. He was some really big news in Weiser, as you well know, and I would think they might have wanted to capitalize on his stardom at any time after 1907..... And actually, and this might not be correct, but it's there, baseball-reference has him as being on Washington, at least a little bit, in 1907, 1908, 1909, (all of the years in question here). During those years on Washington he had a combined W-L of 32 and 48, so capitalizing on that record seems strange. To me it seems whomever put this out might have wanted to capitalize on his Weiser stardom and not his less than stellar play in Washington during that period. I certainly appreciate your ongoing participation in a fascinating discussion. Thank you so much.

Who knows, maybe another PC will pop up with an earlier postmark and this date can be put to rest. Until now I think many collectors were dating this postcard quite a bit later.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:45 PM
D@ve R1cks

Leon, do you know how many known examples of this postcard there are? Do you own the one in the OP? Pretty cool piece, thanks for posting it up.

Last edited by honus94566; 12-21-2012 at 01:46 PM.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:50 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Leon, do you know how many known examples of this postcard there are? Do you own the one in the OP? Pretty cool piece, thanks for posting it up.
In my searches I have seen maybe 3-4 of these postcards. There are probably a few more than that known but I am not sure. Yes, I own the one in the original post. Thanks for the kind words. I do think it's a great looking postcard and with the Weiser postmark all the better.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:12 PM
Phil Garry

Great postcard, Leon!
Old 12-21-2012, 02:29 PM
J@son M1ller

nice postcard, Leon. And great find. I agree with some of the others that it makes sense to promote the town you find the most famous person to come from the town and put him on a postcard. Then you sell that postcard with the Weiser Wonder on it.

I can tell you that there was a high school that was a rival to Grant Hill (of NBA Basketball fame) right near where I grew up. Everyone would talk about the school that Grant Hill was from. But that was after he made good in the NBA, not before.

Same thing with Jim Thorpe, PA being founded after he made it big.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Thorpe,_Pennsylvania

Happens a lot in sports when the player makes it big and the home town then claims them.

I'm sure many postcards are written well after the date that they were written but in my (limited) experience, I've seen the majority of postcards written around the date they were issued (within the year?) Very unscientific, I know, but that has been my experience.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:43 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

There is no doubt this could be a 1910 postcard. It could also be a year or two earlier too. Until now it was thought to most likely be from the teens. Until anymore evidence is found it will be circa 1910, I think that nails it.

I do understand that even though Walter didn't have a great record his very first years in WA he was still a great pitcher at that time. His team, not so great.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:57 PM
J@son M1ller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
There is no doubt this could be a 1910 postcard. It could also be a year or two earlier too. Until now it was thought to most likely be from the teens. Until anymore evidence is found it will be circa 1910, I think that nails it.

I do understand that even though Walter didn't have a great record his very first years in WA he was still a great pitcher at that time. His team, not so great.
I think that's very sound.

As to the point made by a poster about the white on the front of the postcard dating it to a certain era, that's just not the case. It just has to do with a certain aspect ratio image being used and not cropping it to fit on the postcard. You see it on this postcard as well which I date to around 1913-1914 (no earlier).

Old 12-21-2012, 03:05 PM
pariah1107

That would make sense if it was the town where Johnson was born and raised. Hometown boy makes good, etc. but he was from Olinda/Fullerton Union High School in California.

He only played in Weiser for two seasons. Supposition: it may have been produced to entice Johnson to stay in Weiser, Idaho in 1907.

Great article by Hankphenom on his years in Idaho, did not mean to post that and omit credit for the article, my apologies.

One more thing the PC's writer Walter Watkins mentions a town in Wyoming named Midway. Can't find anything about it outside Midway Basin in Yellowstone National Park. Does anyone have an ideas?

Last edited by pariah1107; 12-21-2012 at 03:07 PM.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:33 PM

After doing some research I could definitely see the card being made in 1907. Johnson was signed to a professional contract and then made his Major League debut less than 2 weeks from the time he left Weiser's team. And he only delayed his debut so that he could finish the season with Weiser. Since Weiser wasn't even considered a professional team, it would have been a huge to-do that one of its players was on his way to the majors.

Last edited by packs; 12-21-2012 at 04:20 PM.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:01 PM

I can't believe no one else has noticed that this postcard was addressed to fellow Washington Senator Frank Howard.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:19 PM

Also former Rookie of the Year.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:34 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28jd View Post
Here is an interesting piece together of a couple old posts/quotes. Hopefully I'm interpreting these right as I don't collect postcards

1-The dividing line on Postcards started on March 1, 1907.
I do collect Postcards and would like to weigh in with an opinion here.

I completely agree with you on point 1. March 1, 1907 is the beginning of the Divided Back Era for Postcards. Before then, it was not permitted to place correspondence on the back of the card, just the address. And, as you noted, this date also marks the appearance of the dividing line.

That, coupled with the postmark would indicate that the card was released between these two dates:

March 1, 1907 and November 30, 1910

The other points you made do make sense to me; however, I don't think narrowing the date range down further is possible without information I have not yet seen.

Best Regards,

Eric

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 12-21-2012, 04:36 PM

As to his nickname Weiser Wonder. It was used in the Iola Daily Register(Iola, Kansas) right after his first game and domineering victory with Washington in early August 1907. So he certainly had the nickname very early in his career as a carry over from his stint in Idaho.

Also, as late as 1925 he was still referred to by this nickname in newspaper game highlights.

Last edited by sb1; 12-21-2012 at 04:38 PM.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:04 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
I don't know Hank. He was some really big news in Weiser, as you well know, and I would think they might have wanted to capitalize on his stardom at any time after 1907..... And actually, and this might not be correct, but it's there, baseball-reference has him as being on Washington, at least a little bit, in 1907, 1908, 1909, (all of the years in question here). During those years on Washington he had a combined W-L of 32 and 48, so capitalizing on that record seems strange. To me it seems whomever put this out might have wanted to capitalize on his Weiser stardom and not his less than stellar play in Washington during that period. I certainly appreciate your ongoing participation in a fascinating discussion. Thank you so much.

Who knows, maybe another PC will pop up with an earlier postmark and this date can be put to rest. Until now I think many collectors were dating this postcard quite a bit later.
There's almost no chance this postcard was made during his time at Weiser, in my opinion. He was never called "The Weiser Wonder" during that time, but WAS called that almost immediately thereafter in Washington and elsewhere around the American League. And despite his deceptive 5-9 record in 1907, he was considered in many quarters a "Wonder" from the very start of his career. He had the 4th-best ERA in the American League at 1.88 and finished 2nd behind Waddell in SO/IP. He finished every game he started except his first, and pitched two consecutive shutouts toward the end of the year. Five of his losses were by 1 run for a 49-102 team. Turn those into victories and he would have been 10-4, not a bad first two months in the big leagues. It's entirely possible for this postcard to have been produced sometime in the latter part of 1907, the town capitalizing on the nickname he had often been called beginning with his debut on August 2. Or it could have been made at any time in the years following, up to late 1910. Regardless, Leon has brought us significant new information about a "WONDERful" (sorry, couldn't resist) card.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:49 PM
Hank Thomas

Speaking of Weiser, here's the coolest non-baseball PC in my collection: The middle of this unfolds, beginning with the picture of the "New Union Station," into a 12-panel accordion of notable places in Weiser, including a 3-panel panorama of the town in which you might be able to spot part of the ballfield if you knew where to look. And what's the date of the postmark? June 17, 1907, a month before Johnson stepped into that station and off to his great adventure. The station was brand new in 1907, and had been completely restored shortly before my visit to Weiser in 1995. It was a real trip for me to stand on the platform of that station, looking east as Walter would have done, wondering what was in store for him. He had never been further east than Kansas, and now at 19 years old he's going to the nation's capital to play in the major leagues. The other side is postmarked July something, perhaps on its way to its destination of Washington, Penn., on the same train as Walter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0002.jpg (30.6 KB, 524 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0003.jpg (70.0 KB, 526 views)
Old 12-21-2012, 06:59 PM

Photo used to make the postcard dates to 1907

Postcard itself is of a later date, almost certainly 1909+, no way these were made when he was at Weiser.

Rhys
Old 12-21-2012, 07:12 PM

Why do you say that though? Weiser was a nothing team in a nothing league with no star power at all. Now all of a sudden their best player is on his way to the Majors and making his debut 2 weeks after playing for them. Seems likely that they would have produced the card. It would be like if someone from my Little League team signed a contract and was on the mound 2 weeks later. I would think the town would rally behind them just for making it and not wait for them to be a star, no?

Last edited by packs; 12-21-2012 at 07:23 PM.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:18 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by prewarsports View Post
Postcard itself is of a later date, almost certainly 1909+
Rhys,

I am not disputing you; however, am wondering what leads you to believe this.

Please let me know.

Respectfully,

Eric

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra
Old 12-21-2012, 07:35 PM
Eric Perry

Default Hoping the following sheds a bit more light on this...

http://www.goodwinandco.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=12520

Granted, I am fairly certain that PSA was incorrect in noting this issue as being from 1901; however, the two postcards look similar enough to me that it is reasonable to consider they may be the same issue. The image from the OP and the Goodwin auction both appear below.

Thoughts and feedback would be appreciated.

Best Regards,

Eric

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra
Old 12-21-2012, 08:01 PM
Craig

Quote:
I don't know why a company would produce a card AFTER the player left a team, rather than when he played for it, but it could be solely for publicity/advertising.
So has your opinion changed on the Reccius Wagner?

Nice pickup and great postcard. Congrats
Old 12-21-2012, 08:32 PM

There are a lot of sets with cards printed of players who no longer play for the team or even the league. The Mayo set features retired players, for example. Along with Play Ball and that strip set that has Mathewson in it long after he'd retired. I realize these aren't postcards though. But it would be a lot to brag about if you had Walter first, especially if you're an amateur team.

Last edited by packs; 12-21-2012 at 08:34 PM.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:42 PM

He was a big deal in Weiser, but I live 30 miles from Weiser, it is not a big city by any means. Half the small cities in America had a "Weiser Wonder" type phenom around 1905-1907 (obviously not as good as Johnson but to their small towns at the time there were similar type players). If this postcard had been produced IN WEISER then you would see almost all of them with Idaho postmarks right? How many have ever been found with Idaho postmarks? Zero to my knowledge. SO this is a postcard that had National Distribution. Who would bother to make a postcard Nationally from a rookie who hadn't made it big yet? Nobody would unless it was issued locally in Idaho which there is no way it was given the circumstantial evidence. So who would make a Nationally distributed postcard of a ballplayer celebrating his humble roots? Someone who wanted to capitalize on that players superstardom. So it is a sure bet that this was made after Johnson attained his stardom and was attempting to show his humble roots with a 1907 photo that they had to issue with a copyright date on it of when it was taken.

To me this is a settled issue and I have done a lot of research into the subject as I have visited Weiser on many occasions and live in the area. There is simply no way this postcard was produced in the Weiser area or Idaho in general, its a 1909-1910 postcard at the earliest until someone finds one with an earlier postmark.

Rhys
Old 12-22-2012, 07:19 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
He was a big deal in Weiser, but I live 30 miles from Weiser, it is not a big city by any means. Half the small cities in America had a "Weiser Wonder" type phenom around 1905-1907 (obviously not as good as Johnson but to their small towns at the time there were similar type players). If this postcard had been produced IN WEISER then you would see almost all of them with Idaho postmarks right? How many have ever been found with Idaho postmarks? Zero to my knowledge. SO this is a postcard that had National Distribution. Who would bother to make a postcard Nationally from a rookie who hadn't made it big yet? Nobody would unless it was issued locally in Idaho which there is no way it was given the circumstantial evidence. So who would make a Nationally distributed postcard of a ballplayer celebrating his humble roots? Someone who wanted to capitalize on that players superstardom. So it is a sure bet that this was made after Johnson attained his stardom and was attempting to show his humble roots with a 1907 photo that they had to issue with a copyright date on it of when it was taken.

To me this is a settled issue and I have done a lot of research into the subject as I have visited Weiser on many occasions and live in the area. There is simply no way this postcard was produced in the Weiser area or Idaho in general, its a 1909-1910 postcard at the earliest until someone finds one with an earlier postmark.

Rhys

Actually the latest it can be is 1910, not the earliest. Just going by the evidence we have and not conjecture. I think anytime between 1907 and 1910 is feasible until I see more evidence other than theory. I also think it could have been distributed from the Weiser area. This one shown was certainly mailed from there. Most people weighing in thought this was from the teens until now. When/if one is found with a 1908 postmark the argument will change again.

Last edited by Leon; 12-22-2012 at 07:19 AM.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:44 AM
Val Kehl

I suspect that we won't have to wait very long to see another example of this WaJo PC, hopefully one with a readable postmark, in a major auction. The recent Legendary Auction had a special grouping devoted to Kent Feddeman's fabulous Washington Senators collection, and it contained some great WaJo PCs, but not a "Weiser Wonder" PC. I believe the final installment of Feddeman's collection will be presented in Legendary's first 2013 auction, and I'll be surprised if it doesn't contain a "Weiser Wonder" PC, because Doug Allen told me that Legendary tried to split Feddeman's collection equally as to types of items between the two auction installments.
Val
Old 12-22-2012, 09:04 AM
Hank Thomas

My guess is that this postcard was produced and sold locally (Weiser, Boise, or somewhere else in Idaho) at some time between late 1907 and 1910. I don't see a national product touting him as the "Weiser Wonder." And I wouldn't hold out hope for an example from the Feddeman collection. He didn't pursue cards or postcards aggressively, just picking them up on occasion when the opportunity presented and the price was right. Much more of a memorabilia and photo guy.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:06 AM

I understand what you are saying Leon as the postcard had to manufactured before the date on the card, but absent business records from the company that made the card, we have to go by postmarks or dates next a postcard glued in a scrapbook or some circumstantial evidence.

So the only concrete evidence (speaking scientifically) we have to go on is that

The earliest it can ABSOLUETLY be dated would be the earliest postmark we have (right now 1910). This can obviously change with new specimens.

The latest it can absolutelyy be dated would be the latest postmark (1918 or something).

I would bet these were made between 1909/1910 and just kept being made as long as people bought them and eventually as the demand fell off, they stopped making them, probably around 1920.

Still, no way this is from his time in Weiser.

Rhys
Old 12-22-2012, 09:14 AM

Hank

I respectfully disagree. I dont think there is any way this was made in Idaho. I collect Idaho postcards and they almost all have Idaho postmarks, people bought them locally and mailed them from the area they bought them. These were tiny rural and mining areas and before mass transit there is not really any way someone buys a Walter Johnson postcard in Weiser, Idaho in 1907 and then somehow gets it to Chicago to use three years later. To my knowledge not a single one has a Wesier postmark or Fruitland or Payette or ANY of the other towns in the area. I dont even know off hand of a single one with an Idaho postmark at all (there could be though).

There are literally thousands of paostcards issued in the 1910's and 1920's that harken to the roots of famous people, especially politicians and celebrities like Lindberg etc. It would not be at all unusual to make a postcard of Walter Johnson touting his humble beginnings in Weiser to sell to the people around the World that were fascinated by star power.

I know you have been to Weiser, but to those that have not, you have to understand how rural and how isolated these little towns in Western, Idaho are and to get there in 1907 was no small feat and I can absolutely promise you that if these were made locally, they would have been mailed locally, and if they were mailed locally the vast majority would have Western Idaho or Eastern Oregon postmarks and they simply dont. The example posted here is the only one I know of with an Idaho postmark.

Just my opinion from the resident Weiser, Idaho area amatuer historian.

Rhys

Last edited by prewarsports; 12-22-2012 at 09:16 AM.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:19 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Hank

I respectfully disagree. I dont think there is any way this was made in Idaho. I collect Idaho postcards and they almost all have Idaho postmarks, people bought them locally and mailed them from the area they bought them. These were tiny rural and mining areas and before mass transit there is not really any way someone buys a Walter Johnson postcard in Weiser, Idaho in 1907 and then somehow gets it to Chicago to use three years later. To my knowledge not a single one has a Wesier postmark or Fruitland or Payette or ANY of the other towns in the area. I dont even know off hand of a single one with an Idaho postmark at all (there could be though).

There are literally thousands of paostcards issued in the 1910's and 1920's that harken to the roots of famous people, especially politicians and celebrities like Lindberg etc. It would not be at all unusual to make a postcard of Walter Johnson touting his humble beginnings in Weiser to sell to the people around the World that were fascinated by star power.

I know you have been to Weiser, but to those that have not, you have to understand how rural and how isolated these little towns in Western, Idaho are and to get there in 1907 was no small feat and I can absolutely promise you that if these were made locally, they would have been mailed locally, and if they were mailed locally the vast majority would have Western Idaho or Eastern Oregon postmarks and they simply dont. The example posted here is the only one I know of with an Idaho postmark.

Just my opinion from the resident Weiser, Idaho area amatuer historian.

Rhys
Rhys- You did see this one with the Weiser postmark, correct?
Old 12-22-2012, 09:28 AM
Hank Thomas

The only two examples I'm aware of--Leon's and the one from Walter's scrapbooks, came from Weiser. There is another style of this postcard, by the way, sepia with cursive writing at the bottom, that I've seen auctioned recently, perhaps a couple of different examples. I wonder what the postmarks showed on those?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Weiser Wonder Postcard.jpg (9.3 KB, 434 views)
Old 12-22-2012, 12:04 PM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Love it!