NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-04-2011, 03:59 PM
Ed McCollum

Default Updates from Rosemont?

Anything?
Old 08-04-2011, 04:03 PM

one arrest so far. take a look at the game used universe site for details. Why am i always in the bathroom when something exciting is happening.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prichmond View Post
one arrest so far. take a look at the game used universe site for details. Why am i always in the bathroom when something exciting is happening.
Why am I always at home
Old 08-04-2011, 04:43 PM
D.B. Cooper

Here's a link:

http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com...fraud-charges/

http://imageevent.com/boboinnes/obaks
Old 08-04-2011, 04:54 PM

Here's a link to the GUU thread
Old 08-04-2011, 05:11 PM
Matt Hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony S. View Post
Wow... Risk everything for 3015$... Sounds like a great idea!!
Old 08-04-2011, 05:20 PM
Fred

Maybe he really believed the unis were the real deal... This hobby needs to do a lot of house keeping and this is probably not even going to make a dent in getting rid of the number of dishonest "game used" dealers there are. Bottom line is that "game used" is always going to be something that is suspect. How many "game used" bats and jersey's do we see advertised? There's so much garbage out there, kind of like autographs...... could go on for hours.....
Old 08-04-2011, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew H View Post
Wow... Risk everything for 3015$... Sounds like a great idea!!
Actually, there are several jerseys people are claiming as fake. If they were indeed knowingly selling fake game used jerseys, I'm sure they've sold quite a lot of them. Still, I do agree it was a very smart longterm decision.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:24 PM
Dan Bretta

I wonder how many questionable items quickly disappeared off of tables after watching a dealer go out in handcuffs?
Old 08-04-2011, 06:04 PM

I was talking to Leon and Scott at their booth when they brought that scumbag by doing the perp walk. We all wondered what was going on and heard a few things, but the link clarifies everything. I hope, if he is convicted, that he does some serious time. I have no pity for crooks who rip off innocent folks.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:16 PM
Pete Sycks

I see he's wearing a vikes polo. That's not a good omen for my squad this year.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:09 PM
Peter Spaeth

What became of the last law enforcement effort on the floor of the National, was it 3 years ago?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:17 PM
Scott Mt. Joy

I am glad they busted this crook but I cant help but wonder how Coaches Corner continues to sell fake after fake. I sure wish someone would take them down.

Last edited by smtjoy; 08-04-2011 at 07:17 PM.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:24 PM
Matt Hall

It must have been embarrassing, getting arrested by the post office.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:38 PM
Brad Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew H View Post
It must have been embarrassing, getting arrested by the post office.
I'm glad that the Post Office is finally trying to "stamp" out this crap.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:50 PM
keith janosky

I agree with Scott, This guy gets busted and Coach's Corner rolls on. Unreal.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:06 PM

Default Sports Center Moment

This guy and his company are on the headlines of ESPN.com's baseball section! I was just on ESPNs website to check scores and in the MLB section it is on the right hand side as one of the major stories. Hopefully guys like this will be taken care of because they give all of the honest dealers a bad name in our industry. I may be naive, but I still believe that a majority of dealers in the industry are honest....at least I hope.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:11 PM

I mean, stopping him from continuing to sell fakes (though there's no way to be sure yet) is definitely a good thing. But when you see many people and companies selling blatant fakes, such as Coaches Corner or lots of eBay sellers you have to feel bad for the one guy who got caught. And after his face is plastered all over ESPN.com well....it's pretty much over for him.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:21 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
I mean, stopping him from continuing to sell fakes (though there's no way to be sure yet) is definitely a good thing. But when you see many people and companies selling blatant fakes, such as Coaches Corner or lots of eBay sellers you have to feel bad for the one guy who got caught. And after his face is plastered all over ESPN.com well....it's pretty much over for him.
I'll go on record and say that I don't feel bad for the "one guy who got caught"...the others will hopefully get their day, but for now at least one bad apple was picked off.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:59 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
I'll go on record and say that I don't feel bad for the "one guy who got caught"...the others will hopefully get their day, but for now at least one bad apple was picked off.
Agreed. And I feel pretty certain that there were plenty of auction house criminals on the floor today who shit their pants.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Agreed. And I feel pretty certain that there were plenty of auction house criminals on the floor today who shit their pants.
Exactly. The more dealers who get arrested for fraud the less people who will do it. (what a coincidence, right?)
Old 08-05-2011, 05:26 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Yeah yeah yeah just like three years ago. How many convictions/pleas have come out of that?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:58 AM
Phil Garry

On a collecting note, I have found this year's National to be almost a repeat of last year's for me, picked up several press photos, nothing in the way of cards. The only "card" that I was intersted in was a Bid McPhee team cabinet card from 1885 which was priced at about double what I think it is worth/willing to pay. Special thanks to several Net 54 members who helped me add to my collection: Hank Thomas, Rhys Yeakley, Bruce Kasarda & John Rodgers (Sporting News Archive Photos).
Old 08-05-2011, 06:35 AM

It seems to be a few less dealers than the last time the National was here, but the crowd yesterday was good.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:16 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Yeah yeah yeah just like three years ago. How many convictions/pleas have come out of that?
Convictions sometimes take time. And look at the bright side: at least one major criminal is out of the hobby. Good for us and good for those lepers in Calcutta who need their feet washed.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:31 AM
Steven

Default Great Thursday

We made the drive from Lansing and I had the best time at a show since I was a kid and I didnt even get to see the whole arrest hub-bub. I saw more kids/sons there than in a long time, a lot of independent females doing their own thing and it seemed busy everywhere, not like 15 yrs ago, but still busy. I was trying to replace 59 cards from various sets and got 52 of them. Made a great score a 34 goudey greenberg and my first real matty w/ his t206 portrait. Every dealer I talked to was very nice. Usually I mellow out after a couple hours there but I was bouncing off the walls until the other 3 members pulled me outta there...great day. For what its worth, I have NO sympathy for liars, cheaters and crooks and hope his butt is nailed to the wall and maybe a couple other scumbags will think about this, but Im not dumb either. Great show though!
Old 08-05-2011, 07:34 AM
Ben H*ds@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycks22 View Post
I see he's wearing a vikes polo. That's not a good omen for my squad this year.
As a Vikings fan I agree. At least he wasn't wearing a Mcnabb Vikings game used jersey.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:10 AM
Dan Marke1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewish-collector View Post
It seems to be a few less dealers than the last time the National was here, but the crowd yesterday was good.
The "few less dealers" observation can easily be explained. The word must have gotten out that there was going to be an arrest.

To me, an arrest of an alleged rogue dealer at the National was long overdue, yet at the same time the hoopla this has generated for selling a few bad jerseys to me is perversely comical. I'd compare this to the beach patrol removing a jelly fish from the water that just stung someone while there are dozens of great white sharks circling around with their dorsal fins in plain view and then telling the people it's safe to swim now.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:35 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhenItWasAHobby View Post
The "few less dealers" observation can easily be explained. The word must have gotten out that there was going to be an arrest.

To me, an arrest of an alleged rogue dealer at the National was long overdue, yet at the same time the hoopla this has generated for selling a few bad jerseys to me is perversely comical. I'd compare this to the beach patrol removing a jelly fish from the water that just stung someone while there are dozens of great white sharks circling around with their dorsal fins in plain view and then telling the people it's safe to swim now.

Now now as Lichtman explained these things take time. Surely the fruits of 2008 are just around the corner.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:40 AM

Default National

I agree...these things take time.

However, regarding cards & prices....I am wondering if there is a good selection of cards at the National; and further, if the prices are what most would anticipate. eBay & their new policies seem to have skewed the collecting market such that I do not find as much of the "hard to find" cards on eBay auctions anymore.

It seems like the harder to find cards can only be found through auction houses or inflated BIN prices. Just my opinion.

ZWheat
Old 08-05-2011, 10:51 AM
Tony N.

Default Upcoming auctions?

Did anyone see any spectacular cards coming up for auction at the major auction house tables?

Tony
Old 08-05-2011, 11:12 AM
David M.

In this day of everyone having a camera on their cell phone, where are the pictures or video? Speaking as one of the poor unfortunates that couldn't attend, I'd like to at least get my fix by seeing some pics. Anyone?
Old 08-05-2011, 12:30 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Now now as Lichtman explained these things take time. Surely the fruits of 2008 are just around the corner.
Hey, don't ask me -- I fight the government every day. Far be it for me to explain away their incompetence. Regardless, I'm just happy the orphans are being cared for.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:09 PM
Dan Marke1

Quote:
Good point Peter. I filed an IC3 complaint in July 2009 and still haven't received a response from the FBI. I'm sure I'll hear something anyday now - probably Monday.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:43 PM
Ralph Gee
Banned

Default hold it right there

Whoa,
Did someone say independant females at the show !..Im spalshin on the aqua-vela and gettin out there....I think I can complete with most male collectors... overweight,bald,cheap T shirt wearin, flip flop wearin,lookin for a cheap hotdog for lunch type , yet with that certain touch of something !
Old 08-06-2011, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewish-collector View Post
We had a talk at tonight's N54 dinner from the National's organizer. He said 2011 is the first time in 8 years that every single display space was sold. (At least that is what I think he said...I was drinking...)

I believe he did mention more corporate involvement, so I guess that could mean fewer "dealers"...but the impression he left was that things were on an upward trend.

Cheers,
Blair

Last edited by Bosox Blair; 08-06-2011 at 02:23 AM.
Old 08-06-2011, 06:43 AM

He did say that at the Net54 dinner, but I had heard from someone on the National commitee that they were selling less booths, because if they had fewer booths they could potentially try venues in NEW, different cities. In other words, the National could then "fit" (be small enough) in more convention centers.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:13 AM

Hi Alan,

Nice to meet you today! I understand...they are all sold out b/c there are not as many booths offered.

Cheers,
Blair
Old 08-07-2011, 04:20 PM
Michael S

The big difference that I saw was the room that housed the "Olympic Pavilion" this year was filled in 2008 with Card/Memorabilia dealers. It looks like they made room for the Olympic Pavilion. I took a browse through and there was some neat stuff, mostly pins. Tons of pins!
Old 08-07-2011, 06:24 PM
Eric

Did anybody bump into Mr. Bruce Dorskind at the National?
Old 08-07-2011, 09:40 PM

I took a ton of pictures of notable cards and memorabilia that I came across. I'll try to get some posted this week when i have a chance.
http://s241.photobucket.com/home/woundedduck/allalbums
Old 08-07-2011, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejm1 View Post
Did anybody bump into Mr. Bruce Dorskind at the National?

He wasn't there. Word is that he is in very bad health...
Old 08-08-2011, 04:13 AM
Barry Sloate

Bruce called me from the hospital a couple of days ago. His voice was weak and he said he was very ill. Please keep Bruce in your thoughts. Thank you.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:49 AM
Tom Boblitt

National was fun as usual.....my 20th in a row since 1992 Atlanta. Sorry to hear about Bruce....somewhere in there one of his personalities has to be a good person.....
Old 08-08-2011, 10:49 AM

At the National, SCP auction had 2 framed groupings of T206s on display that were awesome to behold. Characterizing them as folk art, each frame contained 150 cards pasted side by side with Johnson and Matty portraits and lots of others. The items included provenance, like they came out of such and such bar where they hung for years.

Last edited by pete zouras; 08-08-2011 at 11:22 AM. Reason: correct number
Old 08-08-2011, 11:10 AM
MikeHealer

I saw that too Pete and took a few pictures although a photographer I am not.
It is a cool display and many of the cards are in excellent condition.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg t206 letter.jpg (67.6 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpg t206 mounted 1.jpg (77.9 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpg t206 mounted 2.jpg (76.5 KB, 155 views)
Old 08-08-2011, 11:21 AM
Dan Marke1

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhenItWasAHobby View Post
Good point Peter. I filed an IC3 complaint in July 2009 and still haven't received a response from the FBI. I'm sure I'll hear something anyday now - probably Monday.

And today, Monday I did receive a phone response from the FBI! Golly!