NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-25-2009, 05:26 AM
Administrator

Default Zeenuts with tabs info

Posted By: Dave F

After picking up a couple zeenuts with tabs last night I was wondering if there is a list of how many are known to have tabs from each year? Or even just a breakdown of how hard or easy each year is to find cards with the tabs?

Also would love to see some scans of anybody's z-nuts that have tabs.

Old 03-25-2009, 05:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve Murray

Not aware of any pop reports of cards with coupons. I suspect that the earlier years would be the toughest with the exception of 1918 which is super tough. Here are a few per your request:

[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

Old 03-25-2009, 07:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

AS we know all Zeenuts from 1913-1937 came issued with the coupons. Theoretically that is your list. I would guess that most are actually known with tabs too. I am not saying most come with tabs as I am going to guess that is maybe 1%-2%. I am only 1920 and 1922 away from a complete run with coupons. Here are a few from the trucker boy find....1915's seem to be fairly easy to find with the tab, relative to the other earlier years...

[linked image]
[linked image] [linked image]

Old 03-25-2009, 07:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Michael C

I know very little about Zeenuts, but why is it there seems to be a higher proportion of Zeenuts that are just beat to hell, than most of the other issues of the day. Most zeenuts I see look like they have been crumpled up in a ball and pressed out.

Was the paper more fragile than other cards of the day? Was it the location in which they were issued?

Just wondering.

(of course the ones that are posted here are very nice)

Old 03-25-2009, 08:07 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Marty Ogelvie

wow.

dammit Leon, your just showing off! happy.gif

marty
Old 03-25-2009, 08:15 AM
Administrator

I have been called worse!!! I think the Zeenuts with coupons are very cool. I keep mentioning that "Trucker Boy" find of them as that is where my early type Zeenuts came from. I paid $82 each for them.....I had a McMullin with a coupon too...It was totally mangled and I ended up selling it for a princely sum. I am told there are only about 3 of those with Coupons known....

Old 03-25-2009, 08:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

The reason so many Zeenuts appear in worn condition is that they were often used in flipping games when they were bounced off walls and pavements in a game to see who could get closest with the prize being the other guy's Zeenut. This is why you see Zeenuts with corners trimmed and waxed, etc. This was what was related to me by Mark Macrae who knows more about the Zs than anyone alive.

Old 03-25-2009, 09:06 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhett Yeakley

There was a small "find" of 1915 Zeenuts which retained their kewps a few years ago and those have been recycled a few times (like the last Mastro auction), and have given the appearance of them being more plentiful. In reality the 1915's are among the toughest of all Zeenuts sets (rivaled only by the 1918's).
-Rhett

Old 03-25-2009, 09:15 AM
Administrator

With all due respect I still disagree. 1915's are one of the easiest early Z's to find with coupons. Not only have I personally experienced, and confirmed it, but I have corroborated it with our well known West Coast expert. Now, finding the 1915's without tabs is actually a little tougher.....I respect your experience very much and it's just different from mine....best regards

edited to tone it down a bit...it's just cards!!

Old 03-25-2009, 09:20 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave F

I am kind of surprised SGC doesn't have the numbers in their pop reports on cards with tabs. I don't believe I've ever seen an SGC graded zeenut with a coupon that didn't mention the coupon on the label, so obviously it seems they have kept up with it to some point or at least could go back and get some pops.

I guess this would be the same for D381's, George Miller's, etc.

Old 03-25-2009, 09:31 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhett Yeakley

Well, I didn't mean to ruffle anyones feathers. What I stated has been my experience but it's not the biggest deal in the world.
-Rhett

Old 03-25-2009, 09:33 AM
Administrator

My apology. I came off way too strong. I will edit the messsage to tone it down a little. I trust your experiences are just different from mine and my limited research. No worries, my friend.....best regards

Old 03-27-2009, 11:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Andrew

My two favorites with coupon:

[linked image]

[linked image]

Zeenuts with coupon obviously are very tough. Research is difficult when the cards are this scarce and spread over a 20+ year production run.

I do not know of any extensive research that has been done on Zs with coupon. I am curious to know opinions on how many different Zs even exist w/coupon still attached. Clearly there are some (and maybe quite a few?) zeenut cards where not even a single example of a particular card is known to exist w/coupon.