NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-20-2018, 01:35 PM
Micah L Marshall II

Default Kudos to LOTG - discovered counterfeit #311 1952 Mantle PSA 1 in latest auction

I have been after a 52 Mantle PSA 1 as that is the best my budget can do right now. It is very popular card and there are a ton of them but it is difficult to uncover a good priced one as everyone on ebay wants more than even VCP. I thought I finally landed one from most recent LOTG auction at what I thought was a fair price. $5,800 for a rough PSA 1 cert#19886752. Which I checked out on PSA site and it said it was a #311 PSA 1 Mantle. It was item #23 in some unique display with an autographed picture as well. I thought people had simply overlooked it, which is why I got it for such a low price. After winning the auction Al Crisafulli reached out saying he had questions of its authenticity and wanted to get PSA's opinion. It was confirmed by Jackie Curiel of PSA that the alleged PSA graded card was in fact a counterfeit. So bummed but at least I didnt pay $5k for a fake and Al was nice enough to credit me $100 for a future auction for my troubles.

As I think more about this it makes me wonder if any of my cards in holders could be fakes too.

What are your thoughts on the subject?

Has something like this happened to anyone here before?

Best,
Micah

http://loveofthegameauctions.com/Att...-LOT16655.aspx

Last edited by Madi$on18joshua; 08-20-2018 at 02:49 PM.
Old 08-20-2018, 01:39 PM
Howard Chasser

Default Wow

Dark side of the hobby seems to be rearing it's ugly head quite a bit lately. Nice silver lining to this one - Al preemptively doing the right thing here - Go Al!
Old 08-20-2018, 01:44 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Al is one of the good guys in the hobby. You can bid with confidence in LOTG.
Old 08-20-2018, 01:55 PM
C.hris Bl.and

Kind of a misleading title given the outcome no?

Type 1 photos of baseball HOFers
N172 Old Judge Portraits

Will buy or trade for the above. Check out my cards at:

www.imageevent.com/crb972
Old 08-20-2018, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
One of the few auctions houses with whom I would place a max bid on an item.

Bummer you didn't finally get that Mantle, Micah. Hope you find a nice one down the road! Props also to Al for being proactive.
Old 08-20-2018, 01:58 PM
Randy Trierweiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-illini View Post
Agreed, perhaps a re-wording is in order?
Old 08-20-2018, 02:00 PM
David McDonald

Love of the Game is the Mom'n'Pop equivalent for auction houses. None of the big box master-of-the-universe crap that you get from many other AH's. Always a pleasure to deal with Al. When I park my bod in the assisted care home - I'm getting closer every day - on the way to the big cardshow in the sky look for the Kawika collection in LOTG. In a morbid sort of way I'm looking forward to seeing the catalog (if Al sends me one).
Old 08-20-2018, 02:15 PM
Al

I figure I'll get out in front of this one.

Indeed, we had in our auction a display piece that included a '52 Mantle in a PSA holder with an authentic certification number.

On auction closing weekend I had a bidder ask a question about the piece, which led me to take a harder look at the card. Ultimately on Monday morning I sent an email to PSA to ask them if they'd kindly take a look at the card for me, and then I sent the entire display piece to them by FedEx.

I sent an email to Micah, advising him of the situation and asking him not to pay his invoice until I received a final word from PSA.

Wednesday night, I received the email from PSA that the card was, indeed, counterfeit. The fraudsters (not my consignor, but the person from whom he bought the display piece years ago) seem to have cracked an authentic Mantle out, inserted a fake, and then put the entire holder into what looked like a very nice framed display. Behind a sheet of glass and then the plastic holder, it was pretty convincing. Thankfully, we caught it before money exchanged hands, but offered Micah an account credit for the inconvenience.

Unfortunate for Micah, who felt he'd gotten a good price on a card, but very fortunate for Micah, who didn't wind up paying nearly $6K for a counterfeit.

-Al
Old 08-20-2018, 02:30 PM
Brian
Brian Long.ley

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalcollector View Post
Agreed, perhaps a re-wording is in order?
+1

Al made everything right and took care of his customer, this title if googled and not read through would make it sound like you got ripped off, which isn't the case.
Old 08-20-2018, 02:44 PM
Micah L Marshall II

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-illini View Post
I can see your point but it will only let me edit the body not the title - do you know of a way to edit it?
Old 08-20-2018, 02:47 PM
Brian
Brian Long.ley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madi$on18joshua View Post
I can see your point but it will only let me edit the body not the title - do you know of a way to edit it?
When you open the message, click "go to advanced" then it will allow the title to be edited.
Old 08-20-2018, 02:51 PM
Micah L Marshall II

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLongley View Post
+1

Al made everything right and took care of his customer, this title if googled and not read through would make it sound like you got ripped off, which isn't the case.
you are correct. Title changed.
Old 08-20-2018, 02:53 PM
Micah L Marshall II

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLongley View Post
When you open the message, click "go to advanced" then it will allow the title to be edited.

ahhh, Thank you, Brian!

Last edited by Madi$on18joshua; 08-20-2018 at 02:53 PM.
Old 08-20-2018, 03:03 PM
Micah L Marshall II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al C.risafulli View Post

Indeed, we had in our auction a display piece that included a '52 Mantle in a PSA holder with an authentic certification number.

On auction closing weekend I had a bidder ask a question about the piece, which led me to take a harder look at the card. Ultimately on Monday morning I sent an email to PSA to ask them if they'd kindly take a look at the card for me, and then I sent the entire display piece to them by FedEx.

I sent an email to Micah, advising him of the situation and asking him not to pay his invoice until I received a final word from PSA.

Wednesday night, I received the email from PSA that the card was, indeed, counterfeit. The fraudsters (not my consignor, but the person from whom he bought the display piece years ago) seem to have cracked an authentic Mantle out, inserted a fake, and then put the entire holder into what looked like a very nice framed display. Behind a sheet of glass and then the plastic holder, it was pretty convincing. Thankfully, we caught it before money exchanged hands, but offered Micah an account credit for the inconvenience.

Unfortunate for Micah, who felt he'd gotten a good price on a card, but very fortunate for Micah, who didn't wind up paying nearly $6K for a counterfeit.

-Al
Thanks again, Al - looking forward to this fall's auction as I here you may have a card I've been trying to pick up.
Old 08-20-2018, 04:03 PM
Peter Spaeth

That version should have the missing pixel in the upper left part of the blue, maybe it does and I just can't see it? Anyhow glad Al caught it.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-21-2018, 07:16 PM
Robert N*w-ell

I haver never dealt with LOTG. Glad to read of the quick service provided and disaster averted. I will make a point to check out the next auction.

By the way, was the holder in question one of the older ones or the new "light house" model?

And OP, I feel for you. While it is disappointing, LOTG saved you from even bigger problems down the road. A tip of there hat to the owner.

Even though my 52 Mantle slab from 2015 was scratch free, I decided to spend the extra money and send it in for the "light house" holder, for peace of mind for any future owners.
Old 08-21-2018, 07:55 PM
D@le Irv*n

Can it be assumed the auto is also a fake?

Kudo's ot LOTG. Although I have never bid in a A/H before, I will remember this one if I ever decide to.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:01 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:

-Al
Kudos...what gave it away....was the case frosted Al?
Old 08-21-2018, 08:02 PM
Robert Williams

On 2nd though...just looking at the colors would have raised a red flag with me.....it looks like a bad fake....but I am sure the case was frosted as well.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:20 PM
Peter Spaeth

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 16655d_lg.jpg (78.5 KB, 579 views)

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:57 PM
Bry@n

I was the tipster. Several things about the card looked wrong to me so I reached out to Al hoping a) that I was wrong and b) to help him avoid a mess by sending it out/paying the consignor if I was right.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:26 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobu View Post
I was the tipster. Several things about the card looked wrong to me so I reached out to Al hoping a) that I was wrong and b) to help him avoid a mess by sending it out/paying the consignor if I was right.
Does anything about it look right?

Old 08-21-2018, 10:41 PM
Robert Kasenter

Default fake Mantle

Good story. And nothing about that Mantle looks right. With respect to the missing pixel, my own Mantle doesn't "appear" to be missing the pixel. That's because whoever decided to "fix" mine decided it would look better if the missing pixel was colored in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0582.jpg (77.4 KB, 587 views)
Old 08-21-2018, 10:49 PM
je.sse @rnot

Peter is that really the card in question? That looks terrible. Al did anyone look at the card before putting it in the auction? Did it look that bad in person?
Old 08-21-2018, 11:26 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madi$on18joshua View Post

Has something like this happened to anyone here before?

Best,
Micah

http://loveofthegameauctions.com/Att...-LOT16655.aspx
Micah, something similar happened a few years ago with a T206 Cobb Green in a PSA holder. I believe that it ended up with an ebay seller called Toppsaholic. What he did with it I don't know.
Old 08-22-2018, 05:04 AM
Keith
ke.ith tem.ple

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
+1
...whatever I want
Old 08-22-2018, 05:40 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
Micah, something similar happened a few years ago with a T206 Cobb Green in a PSA holder. I believe that it ended up with an ebay seller called Toppsaholic. What he did with it I don't know.
that will show up again probably
Old 08-22-2018, 05:42 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
Peter is that really the card in question? That looks terrible. Al did anyone look at the card before putting it in the auction? Did it look that bad in person?
Jesse, that scan is from the auction.

Old 08-22-2018, 11:38 AM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Jesse, that scan is from the auction.
I just went to the auction site and saw. Hard to believe it made it in. It looks like it was printed in someone's living room and had either some dirt or printer ink spread across the surface.
Old 08-22-2018, 01:19 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I just went to the auction site and saw. Hard to believe it made it in. It looks like it was printed in someone's living room and had either some dirt or printer ink spread across the surface.
And you were just asking in another thread how can the average collector catch something when the AH doesn't?

See, it happens.

Old 08-22-2018, 01:36 PM
Rowbeartoe Toemoss

Default Again...

How many times are we gonna see PSA screw up again. I understand they’re all human but on a 52 Mantle, regardless of condition, I’m sure there would be many eyes on it in house before it left.
Old 08-22-2018, 01:46 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackaJackKid View Post
How many times are we gonna see PSA screw up again. I understand they’re all human but on a 52 Mantle, regardless of condition, I’m sure there would be many eyes on it in house before it left.
Who says PSA screwed up, it's probably a Mexican or other hatchet job.

Old 08-22-2018, 02:02 PM
Chase

Quote:
And you were just asking in another thread how can the average collector catch something when the AH doesn't?

See, it happens.
I had not looked at the auction lot but now looking back it, it is pretty obvious based on the scan Al provided online. I don't know Al but I think it goes without saying that it would not benefit him in anyway to have tried to pass it off as a legit card.

I think this is a perfect example of someone letting down their guard and assuming since a card is in a holder it is ok. Not sure any of us can be too careful no matter who we are buying from. Not everyone selling a "bad" card is doing it with the intent to screw you. Best to know as much as you can about what it is you are spending your money on.
Old 08-22-2018, 02:07 PM
Peter Spaeth

No way did Al have bad intent, inconceivable. He should, however, have caught this on his own, but mistakes happen. All 52T Mantles should be scrutinized, period. And anyone considering buying one should take the time to learn the distinguishing characteristics of a real one.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-22-2018 at 02:09 PM.
Old 08-22-2018, 02:08 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:

See, it happens.
I believe I prefaced my comment with something like unless they missed something obvious. I'd still like to hear an explanation on how they missed this one.
Old 08-22-2018, 02:18 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I believe I prefaced my comment with something like unless they missed something obvious. I'd still like to hear an explanation on how they missed this one.
It's hard to imagine there is an explanation except oversight. There is no way Al scrutinized the card and believed it to be real, he's too knowledgeable.

Old 08-22-2018, 03:46 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
It's hard to imagine there is an explanation except oversight. There is no way Al scrutinized the card and believed it to be real, he's too knowledgeable.

Didn't he just hire another person as well?

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 08-22-2018, 04:07 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Yeah, heard he missed it too, GASP!
Old 08-22-2018, 05:30 PM
Peter Spaeth

Old 08-22-2018, 05:40 PM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

Quote:

-Al
Great business model Al ! Sorry to everyone involved that it was a fake .
Old 08-22-2018, 05:55 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

If one was running an auction house with a fine reputation and a glossy catalog, and if you only had "time" to carefully examine the higher end consignments, isn't a 52 Mantle perhaps the first (or second) card you should look at carefully.

Yeah, mistakes happen, but really.......................................

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 08-22-2018 at 06:25 PM.
Old 08-22-2018, 06:01 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

A Frank post I understood! Yes, we screwed up and didn't catch it when we should have.
Old 08-22-2018, 08:18 PM
Eric
Eric

The measure of a person or persons in this case is not if they make a mistake. Because we ALL do. The measure of those people is in how they react once the mistake has beeen made. And the reaction here was above reproach.
Al and Jeff are 2 of the best in the business. And no permanent damage was done.
And in the words of Forest Gump, “That’s all I have to say about that.”

Eric Recker
Old 08-22-2018, 09:52 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Well said!
Old 08-23-2018, 08:21 AM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowadoc77 View Post
The measure of a person or persons in this case is not if they make a mistake. Because we ALL do. The measure of those people is in how they react once the mistake has beeen made. And the reaction here was above reproach.
Al and Jeff are 2 of the best in the business. And no permanent damage was done.

Eric Recker
+1!!
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/jgmp123
Old 08-23-2018, 12:38 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

It was handled before the winner paid and was fixed when the issue was pointed out to them. It would have been ideal if it wasn't put in the auction, but I think there's some nitpicking here.
Old 08-23-2018, 02:01 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
It was handled before the winner paid and was fixed when the issue was pointed out to them. It would have been ideal if it wasn't put in the auction, but I think there's some nitpicking here.
If you think we're nitpicking I'd suggest taking another look at that scan. If this were any other AH I doubt the responses would be so positive. I can only imagine what they'd look like if pwcc had let this card slip through the cracks. That is the worst fake 52 Mantle I can ever remember seeing.
Old 08-23-2018, 04:41 PM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowadoc77 View Post

Eric Recker
Agreed with this.
Just a simple mistake that should be forgiven right?
Old 08-23-2018, 04:56 PM
Hank Thomas

I wonder if the consignor has done anything, like try to get his money back or call the cops.
Old 08-24-2018, 09:01 PM
je.sse @rnot

I would like to know who wrote the description for the 52 Mantle for this auction. Because obviously that person looked at the card but somehow missed the fact that it was an obvious fake. I have nothing against Al of lotg personally, but way too many members are giving them a pass for putting a terrible card into their auction. Doing the right thing after it was pointed out to them does not excuse including this card in their auction.

Tags
1952 topps mantle #311, mantle rookie