NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-06-2015, 08:24 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default 1800s Baseball Tintypes

Here is a little cut and paste from our friends at Wiki about tintypes. I always enjoy the clarity and interesting subjects found. If anyone cares to show others it would be interesting....

A tintype, also known as a melainotype or ferrotype, is a photograph made by creating a direct positive on a thin sheet of metal coated with a dark lacquer or enamel and used as the support for the photographic emulsion. Tintypes enjoyed their widest use during the 1860s and 1870s, but lesser use of the medium persisted into the early 20th century and it has been revived as a novelty in the 21st.

Tintype portraits were at first usually made in a formal photographic studio, like daguerreotypes and other early types of photographs, but later they were most commonly made by photographers working in booths or the open air at fairs and carnivals, as well as by itinerant sidewalk photographers.
Because the lacquered iron support (there is no actual tin used) was resilient and did not need drying, a tintype could be developed and fixed and handed to the customer only a few minutes after the picture had been taken.

The tintype photograph saw more uses and captured a wider variety of settings and subjects than any other photographic type. It was introduced while the daguerreotype was still popular, though its primary competition would have been the ambrotype.

The tintype saw the Civil War come and go, documenting the individual soldier and horrific battle scenes. It captured scenes from the Wild West, as it was easy to produce by itinerant photographers working out of covered wagons.
It began losing artistic and commercial ground to higher quality albumen prints on paper in the mid-1860s, yet survived for well over another 40 years, living mostly as a carnival novelty. [1]
The tintype's immediate predecessor, the ambrotype, was done by the same process of using a sheet of glass as the support. The glass was either of a dark color or provided with a black backing so that, as with a tintype, the underexposed negative image in the emulsion appeared as a positive. Tintypes were sturdy and did not require mounting in a protective hard case like ambrotypes and daguerreotypes.

Old 10-06-2015, 09:12 AM
Louie Michaud

Very cool. I'm not completely convinced it's authentic, and it's not baseball related, but I saw this article the other day on a potentially very interesting tintype:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-millions.html
Old 10-06-2015, 09:17 AM

Pre 1900 kid
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img827.jpg (76.1 KB, 319 views)
Old 10-06-2015, 09:20 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeadcock View Post
Pre 1900 kid
I want to know how the heck they ran in those shoes? I am thinking not too well!!
Old 10-06-2015, 09:52 AM
Jason Wright

Default circa 1865-7 Tintype

Thanks for starting an interesting topic Leon.

I will add one of my favourites to the show and tell.

It is a circa 1865-7 tintype of 3 players likely from the Phillips Academy team. The central figure (Archie McClure Bush) was considered the country’s best baseball player throughout the 1860’s up until the professional era began in 1869 – incidentally Bush is featured in a well known CDV from Rucker’s collection which also featured his cousin James McClure.

He played learned to play while serving in the civil war and played for Phillips Academy; the Andover Nine; The Albany Nationals and was the captain of Harvard.

Talk about uncomfortable footwear Leon - try on Bush's baseball knee boots for size!!!

Here is some cool info on Archie McClure Bush within the following articles: http://www.pa59ers.com/library/Harri...hletics02.html
http://www.thenationalpastimemuseum....onals-albany-0
https://www.andover.edu/Athletics/Te...es/Alumni.aspx
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1864 Phillips Acad Tintype Archie McClure Bush 2.jpg (77.3 KB, 298 views)
File Type: jpg Bush CDV.jpg (67.3 KB, 295 views)
Old 10-06-2015, 11:01 AM
octavio ranzola

Default Thanks leon

I pick these up from time to time ...near my beach house in south jersey guy has a ton of them .loved the article thank you man.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:50 AM
Steve Birmingham

Well, I suppose you'd never get worried about getting spiked in boots like those

I've shown these before, but it's been a while.

A guy looking stylish and happy in his odd uniform.

Then a pic with the wife, who seems less pleased.

Finally they get the whole group in the shot a bit of clowning around and the women look a bit mad about the whole thing.

It's been suggested that it's probably actors from a play or something and not a baseball player with friends, which may be accurate.

Steve B
Old 10-07-2015, 10:55 AM

Default Oregon baseball tintype c. 1870

Great matching hats.
Old 10-07-2015, 02:29 PM
octavio ranzola

Pretty steve
Old 10-07-2015, 02:58 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Tintypes enjoyed their widest use during the 1860s and 1870s, but lesser use of the medium persisted into the early 20th century and it has been revived as a novelty in the 21st.
It began losing artistic and commercial ground to higher quality albumen prints on paper in the mid-1860s, yet survived for well over another 40 years, living mostly as a carnival novelty. [1]
Ebay sellers conveniently 'forget' the above. I would argue that despite Wiki's claim that their widest use was during the 1860s and 1870s, most of the baseball tintypes we see are from the 1880s and 1890s and I think it's a safe guess that most of the crappy blurry ones on ebay are closer to 1900. I can tell you - it's pretty special when you actually find one from the '60s or '70s.

Last edited by Runscott; 10-07-2015 at 02:59 PM.
Old 10-10-2015, 06:33 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Those are some great tintypes, guys. Thanks for showing them.