NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-06-2016, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagerookies51 View Post
What are everyone's thoughts on the final price? Really low for a 2 IMO but perhaps closer to what it would get if it was in a "1" holder like it should be
I thought it was a little high. PWCC sold a PSA 2 Plank last year that was nicer for 33K which had sold for 31K 2 years earlier. REA sold one for 41K in 2012 that is the nicest of the three. Plank isn't really one of those cards that is being bought up by speculators.
Old 09-06-2016, 11:09 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookiemonster View Post
You know this is excaly what the issue with graded cards is.
Agreed. Funny how we continue to see regular grading discrepancies like this even with big name cards. Although the birth of grading with PSA and Bill Mastro's trimmed Wagner ushered in the initial controversy more than 25 years ago. PSA in particular seems to be wildly inconsistent on how they change standards over time. At the end of the day I suppose it just goes to show that excellence (or NM or VG or G or P...) is in the eye of the beholder, even among professional graders. I'll stick with how I learned to grade from hobby publications in the 1980's. I don't at all get how a card with paper loss like that (or whiteout or whatever it is...) would be a 2; any other T-206 common like that probably would have been a 1 all day long.

Last edited by jchcollins; 09-07-2016 at 04:10 AM.
Old 09-06-2016, 11:15 PM
Bill O

I would have bought it if it wasn't
for the whiteout stains. J/K
Just didn't look like a clean 2 to me
Are there any ripped, pinholed, paper losses PSA Auth
out there for around 5k to get me up
Higher on the Net54 Monster list?

Last edited by Billy5858; 09-06-2016 at 11:59 PM.
Old 09-07-2016, 08:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshchisox08 View Post
That is a very gracious 2 handed out by PSA there. Perhaps it didn't get a 1 because it's a Plank.

Any other card that would NEVER get a 2.
I wondered about this but wanted to wait until the aucion was over until I asked a question. Did anyone see this LaJoie and wander how a card with staple holes could not be graded a 1?

https://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball/1...ription-071515

Last edited by RedsFan1941; 09-07-2016 at 08:53 AM.
Old 09-07-2016, 08:55 AM

I guess I need to save up for many years and then cash in when the time is right.
Old 09-07-2016, 09:05 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedsFan1941 View Post
I wondered about this but wanted to wait until the aucion was over until I asked a question. Did anyone see this LaJoie and wander how a card with staple holes could not be graded a 1?

https://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball/1...ription-071515
If I'm remembering correctly, that's how Goudey mailed out the Lajoie cards to collectors that requested them by mail in 1934 and later (stapled to the letter), so all that were sent that way supposedly have the staple holes. I would not agree that makes them anything more than PSA 1's at most either, but I'm sure that if a justification for a higher grade was ever needed, that's probably what it was.

Last edited by jchcollins; 09-07-2016 at 09:05 AM.
Old 09-07-2016, 09:07 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
If I'm remembering correctly, that's how Goudey mailed out the Lajoie cards to collectors that requested them by mail in 1934 and later (stapled to the letter), so all that were sent that way supposedly have the staple holes. I would not agree that makes them anything more than PSA 1's at most either, but I'm sure that if a justification for a higher grade was ever needed, that's probably what it was.
the story I've always heard was mailing goudey was the only way to acquire this card...it seems that there are many high grade lajoies. I have never heard that these cards were stapled?
Old 09-07-2016, 09:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
I have see far more goudey LaJoies with no staple holes than ones with them, fwiw.
Old 09-07-2016, 09:14 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedsFan1941 View Post
I have see far more goudey LaJoies with no staple holes than ones with them, fwiw.
agree
Old 09-07-2016, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Nope, that's incorrect. What you are thinking of is the belief that many of the Lajoie cards were sent to collectors paperclipped to a letter, so many of the '33 Goudey Lajoie cards will exhibit a paperclip indentation.

Last edited by CW; 09-07-2016 at 01:01 PM.
Old 09-10-2016, 03:01 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

35k seems about right....nice card

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Plank is a great card but this one isn't even that pleasing to the eye, imo. I guess any Plank is a good Plank though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1909-11-T206...QAAOSwMtxXwi9a

Old 09-10-2016, 03:18 PM
ThreadKiller

wouldn't exactly call this card "fugly" - I'm not a high-end card guy w/deep pockets, but IF I was, I'd be happy to add this example to my collection rather than one with heavy creasing, etc.

JMO.

DS