NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 05-18-2012, 07:43 PM

Sean,
Wow! All of these are awesome images.
I think the biggest challenge would be to decide which one to have painted by Graig....
Old 05-18-2012, 07:58 PM
Sean Brennan

I agree Scott! I would probably go with the Cobb if I could convince Graig to paint my son in where the boy is. Thought it would be fun for others to post their dream painting pics
Old 05-18-2012, 09:05 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Sean,
Of the baseball, I like the Cobb best.
Of all of them, I think the Chaplin would probably be the best showcase of Graig's talents. All the light transitions across his hat, face, hands, etc all from a match, no less, would really allow the magic to shine through.
While not really a Chaplin enthusiast, I can only imagine how great that would look.
Best,
Mark

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 05-18-2012, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob D. View Post
Let me tell you about the time I was reading a framing discussion and an autograph thread broke out.
Good point Rob. I will refrain from further posting.
Old 05-19-2012, 04:53 AM
Mike H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekingofclout View Post

Boy, am I late to the party or what?! Some of you may remember that a couple years ago, I too had a jerk-off, make that a jake-off, much similar to this guy, trash me for the many "show your" threads that I had started, as well as sharing many pieces from my collection. Unfortunately, despite the overwhelming support I received from the board, I've never been able to regain my enthusiasm that I once had and shared.

What does strike me a little odd is, that during the "Live from the Hunts/Ted Williams Auction" thread, Jake posted over 30 times... just on that one thread! And for whatever reason only Jake is aware of, he went back and erased many of them! What gives Jake?

Attention Whore? You have the sack to call Scott an attention whore? Dude. Take a look in the mirror.

You didn't mind all the attention that many of us showered upon you when you showed off with great pride your Ruth/Red Sox Portrait photo you won in Legendary auction. Even going so far as to claim (and I quote) "this is one of the best shots of Ruth in Boston ever" ... Hardly.

Apparently you enjoyed the attention so much so that once you got the photo framed you immediately posted a new scan of it newly framed for all to see and envy. Maybe you were sensitive and we hurt your fragile feelings because nobody gushed with any more "WOW. WHAT A GREAT RUTH PHOTO! YOU ARE SO AWESOME TO HAVE WON IT! WOW JAKE THAT'S SO FRIGGIN AWESOME. CAN YOU PLEASE MAKE A BIGGER SCAN SO I CAN SAVE IT FOR MY SCREEN SAVER? BTW... WHAT A GREAT PHOTO YOU HAVE. YOU'RE SUCH A STUD JAKE. MAN I WISH I HAD THAT PHOTO!"

Jeez... you are some piece of work.

You really picked on the wrong guy in Scott. Nobody, and I mean Nobody brings more to the memorabilia side than Scott Garner. Scott is also not only a friend but one of the finest Gentlemen that I have even known, as evidence to such in how he chose to handle this matter.

Me, on the other hand, I'm an asshole. Always have been. No matter how hard I try not to be, I just can't help myself. At least I know what I am. You, clearly are in the dark. Let me turn on the light for you Jake... You're an asshole.

With warm regards, Jimmy Catanzaro

BTW... I'm just an old disabled man and had to miss the National for the last few years due to not being able to travel. But, the thought of you actually meeting up with my friend Ben (Big Ben as we call him) face to face, sounds just to good to miss! I may have to try and figure out a way to get there... and I'm serious. Those of you who have met Ben, are now nodding their head in agreement.
Plus 1 I'm only posting for the attention.

Last edited by mjkm90; 05-19-2012 at 04:56 AM.
Old 05-19-2012, 06:28 AM
Sean Brennan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordstan View Post
Sean,
Of the baseball, I like the Cobb best.
Of all of them, I think the Chaplin would probably be the best showcase of Graig's talents. All the light transitions across his hat, face, hands, etc all from a match, no less, would really allow the magic to shine through.
While not really a Chaplin enthusiast, I can only imagine how great that would look.
Best,
Mark
I agree. my only problem with the cobb is it lacks the stadium landscape that graig does so well. something really intrigues me about that grandstand in the pittsburgh pic. I should probably start saving now
Old 05-19-2012, 06:41 AM
qualitycards

Quote:
my only problem with the cobb is it lacks the stadium landscape that graig does so well
True! But the majority of fans wearing straw hats is pretty neat and makes a great backdrop
Old 05-19-2012, 06:47 AM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekingofclout View Post
Good point Rob. I will refrain from further posting.
Damn...I hate good points...

That cobb image is wonderful. I cannot stop looking at it. Is it a BAIN? Where did you get that stock image Sean? There are a lot of seemingly strong personalities in that photo..kind of like this thread.

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection
Old 05-19-2012, 07:11 AM
Sean Brennan

when graig had his contest going I spent hours compiling images online. I like action shots with stadium landscapes and found about fifty photos I'd pay to have painted. I'm pretty sure cobb is a bain photo.its such a strange setup but very unique photo.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:59 AM

Default Final result- Greg Kreindler Vander Meer 1938 framing job- for those who care to look

Thought I would bump this thread where I was soliciting ideas on how to best display a painting...

The Johnny Vander Meer painting that Graig Kreindler recently painted for me is now officially on my wall.

After giving this much consideration, I opted to use an interesting framing choice to display Vandy. Max Weder (baseballart on net54) provided some great advice on considering using a shadow box frame. Thanks Max!

I chose reclaimed old red barnwood as the choice of the actual frame itself.
I felt that the red in the frame would really make the red pinstriping and lettering on his Cincinnati flannel uniform pop. Max's idea about using the shadow box allowed me to slightly lighten the image and not hide the canvas three dimensionality of an original oil painting.

I'm really happy with the end result. I hope you like it as well!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vandy Kreindler framed and on the wall!.jpg (76.4 KB, 595 views)
File Type: jpg Vandy Kreindler frame corner-shadow box.jpg (77.6 KB, 245 views)
File Type: jpg Vandy frame side.jpg (74.9 KB, 243 views)

Last edited by Scott Garner; 07-03-2012 at 08:17 AM.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:16 AM
J@RR0D

Very nice, scott! It adds to the rustic wooden feel of the dugout too. It makes it look like an old painting, in a good way. Nice choice!
Old 07-03-2012, 08:26 AM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Dude,
That looks fantastic. What size is that?
I am so going to have to steal that idea for mine.
I love the not hiding the edges, yet still highlighting the image. I agree with Jarrod, the old material really makes it appear antiquey(I just made up that word).
Did you find the materials and do it yourself?

Now, I have to decide on the right color for mine. I'm thinking blue of the het/pinstripes or green from the dugout. Any recommendations, Scott?

Best,
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
Thought I would bump this thread where I was soliciting ideas on how to best display a painting...

The Johnny Vander Meer painting that Graig Kreindler recently painted for me is now officially on my wall.

After giving this much consideration, I opted to use an interesting framing choice to display Vandy. Max Weder (baseballart on net54) provided some great advice on considering using a shadow box frame. Thanks Max!

I chose reclaimed old red barnwood as the choice of the actual frame itself.
I felt that the red in the frame would really make the red pinstriping and lettering on his Cincinnati flannel uniform pop. Max's idea about using the shadow box allowed me to slightly lighten the image and not hide the canvas three dimensionality of an original oil painting.

I'm really happy with the end result. I hope you like it as well!

Last edited by Lordstan; 07-03-2012 at 08:28 AM.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Dude,
That looks fantastic. What size is that?
I am so going to have to steal that idea for mine.
I love the not hiding the edges, yet still highlighting the image. I agree with Jarrod, the old material really makes it appear antiquey(I just made up that word).
Did you find the materials and do it yourself?

Now, I have to decide on the right color for mine. I'm thinking blue of the het/pinstripes or green from the dugout. Any recommendations, Scott?

Best,
Mark
Mark,

Thanks!
Please feel free to borrow my idea. My painting is 20" x 28".
I would tend to agree with your idea about using blue or green as your frame color choice. Your wall color may be a possible factor in your choice as well. I would lean towards the blue, myself, FWIW.

Last edited by Scott Garner; 07-03-2012 at 09:57 AM.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:41 AM

Great presentation, Scott! Like Jarrod commented, it meshes well with the dugout, too.

Mark -- I'd go with the same shade of blue from the hat, personally.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:45 AM
octavio ranzola

scott great job i like it thanks for the post octavio
Old 07-03-2012, 10:38 AM
Eric Nelson

Default painting

Whore or paragon of virtue, that's a a wonderful painting. Was glad to see it.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:08 AM
J@RR0D

Mark, I would also consider a rustic, off-white aged wood for your frame. Something a little more yellowed than Lou's jersey.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquifer View Post
Whore or paragon of virtue, that's a a wonderful painting. Was glad to see it.
I answer to both!

Thanks to all of you for your compliments.

Last edited by Scott Garner; 07-03-2012 at 01:15 PM.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:01 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

Nice choice Scott.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:31 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Nice frame Scott! That really makes the painting pop.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:40 PM
Max Weder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
T
Unfortunately, my hourly rate as an art consultant is somewhat lower than for my rate for Canadian tax advice

The framing does look great.

Max
Old 07-07-2012, 12:55 AM
James Wymer

The good news I think is that these paintings will look incredible no matter what.
Always accepting quality consignments
Old 07-08-2012, 01:22 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wymers Auction View Post
The good news I think is that these paintings will look incredible no matter what.
I agree... a frame made up of Popsicle Sticks would still work with these great paintings!

Scott:
Excellent choice... looks fantastic!

Mark:
I also like the blue frame idea for your Gehrig. It definitely calls for a darker shade, to match Lou's Cap and Pinstripes.

Great thread!
Old 07-08-2012, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
I agree... a frame made up of Popsicle Sticks would still work with these great paintings!

Scott:
Excellent choice... looks fantastic!

Mark:
I also like the blue frame idea for your Gehrig. It definitely calls for a darker shade, to match Lou's Cap and Pinstripes.

Great thread!
Thanks Mark!

I agree that this thread has produced some great thoughts about the best way to display a painting. I've definitely learned quite a bit along the way and I hope that others picked up some ideas as well.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:24 AM
Ben H*ds@n

Given my screen name here, I thought that I would chime in and say that you made a nice choice with the frame for your painting. I will not be able to attend the National this year, but I might have to contact Greg about a future commission. Hope you enjoy your painting for years to come.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ben View Post
Given my screen name here, I thought that I would chime in and say that you made a nice choice with the frame for your painting. I will not be able to attend the National this year, but I might have to contact Greg about a future commission. Hope you enjoy your painting for years to come.
Thanks Ben! I hope that if you commission Graig to paint one for you at some point, that you enjoy it as much as I am. It's awesome getting to look at it when I sit behind my desk every day.

I must say, the whole painting commission process with Graig was nothing less than fantastic. Graig is obviously a talented guy, but his personality and demeaner made him a true pleasure to work with. I would absolutely recommend him to all.
Old 07-11-2012, 04:14 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Here is one way I've displayed mine.

On my phone!

I added the sig and designed the front.

Old 07-11-2012, 04:41 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Here is one way I've displayed mine.

On my phone!

I added the sig and designed the front.
That is pretty cool.. where did you get that done?

Old 07-11-2012, 04:51 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Ben,
Thanks.
I did it myself.
Skit-it website.
Uploaded pic of painting.
Used a photo editor to remove the background from a nice clear sig example I found online. I enhanced the sig a bit so it showed up better. I toyed with different colors, sizes, and angles to put the auto on.
I then designed the front. The pinstripes and number were lifted from an authentic Gehrig jersey. I added the Iron Horse to the bottom.

I am willing to do it for others, but do have time limitations for my work and family.

Best,
Mark

Old 07-11-2012, 05:22 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Ben,
Thanks.
I did it myself.
Skit-it website.
Uploaded pic of painting.
Used a photo editor to remove the background from a nice clear sig example I found online. I enhanced the sig a bit so it showed up better. I toyed with different colors, sizes, and angles to put the auto on.
I then designed the front. The pinstripes and number were lifted from an authentic Gehrig jersey. I added the Iron Horse to the bottom.

I am willing to do it for others, but do have time limitations for my work and family.

Best,
Mark
Yeah I guess that was my question.. what website etc. Very cool!