NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 12-21-2023, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
I still collect. Started around 5 and never really stopped.

It's like many of the older hobbies, the really good items are bringing good prices. While the very common are not. A typical price to pay for a collection or accumulation that has some fairly nice things is around 10% of the catalog value of the nicer items.
Most US stamps from the 30s on are as has been pointed out, used as discount postage. Bought that way, maybe 80% of the face value, sometimes less.
Even some from earlier get used that way by stamp collectors. If a stamp catalogs 50 cents or a dollar but has major flaws, it won't sell at all.

Most can be bought for 50% of catalog value.

The fun and the interesting stuff you can learn about are the key, and even some big ticket items don't make good investments.
Generating interest with younger people without the whole "you can find rare expensive stuff with no real effort" angle is hard.
That being said, I do find some pretty good deals, and some really good deals by knowing specialized info, that most dealers can't spend the time to be bothered with.
Congrats on sticking with collecting all this time Steve! What is your take on grading stamps? Does increase the value? Let's say one has a 1847 Scott #1, would it make sense to have that stamp graded or stamps from the Columbian Expo?
Old 12-22-2023, 09:50 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
Congrats on sticking with collecting all this time Steve! What is your take on grading stamps? Does increase the value? Let's say one has a 1847 Scott #1, would it make sense to have that stamp graded or stamps from the Columbian Expo?
It's been like card grading, a lot of resistance in the hobby, but some crazy prices for perfect stamps.
The first company tried slabbing them, and that didn't get much traction, fighting the whole mounting a stamp in an album thing that was established almost since there were stamps wasn't a winning play.

For some issues it can add value, but only at the upper tiers. It's mostly about centering, and stamps that were poorly centered nearly every time benefit the most. Some very cheap stamps have sold for silly prices, but only ones that are really incredible. The top grade is 100J or 100 - the J is for jumbo, one having all borders larger than normal.

The people who want a Scott#1 generally aren't into grading. So the market is just like ours, the handful of registry type collectors that want something someone else says is the best.
The Columbians are maybe more gradeable, but have to be very nice.

I'll use sb1s stamps as examples. Noting first that they're all very nice for the respective issues. I wouldn't reject any of them. Maybe a bit picky on price, but they're all good.

The #1 five cent Frankiln. Presents well, but has one corner cutting off a bit of the border. Very typical on that issue, and much better than most. I wouldn't grade it.

The #2 the ten cent Washington. Just barely what we call a four margin stamp, with the full narrow frame present. It's an excellent example, one all but the most pick or well funded collector would be proud to have.

If they have any special features, like double transfers or something like that, a certificate would add, but only saleability as that variety.

The strip of three - A nice strip, the margins on most plates for the imperfs were very very narrow. Not something I'd grade, but might pay to get a certificate with the plate positions if it includes one of the better ones. I can't tell from what I see, the difference can be substantial. I only have the most common. the others range from "ask permission" to "you're not spending a new car on a stamp" prices.

Of the others. I might grade the three cent Washington... maybe. Not an expensive stamp, but It's a really great example, all four margins, neatly cut.
But that just slightly less large lower margin would probably keep it out of the very top grades. If I was into grading, yes. If I thought it was a #10 and not an 11, yes.

The five cent next to it.... Maybe. I don't think it would get a high grade, but for that issue it's as good as most people can afford. A certificate would verify that it has no faults(damage ranging from trivial to massive) and that would be worth doing as the margins on these were also very small.

The other two are also very nice, I'd be glad to add either to my collection if I didn't already have them. But they just wouldn't grade high enough.

https://auction.siegelauctions.com/sale/1305?PageNo=12

Lot 2234 on this page is a good example of a graded stamp, catalog value is 100 I could find a normal copy for 50 easily, it sold for 400. It's pretty spectacular as far as centering goes, including parts of the stamps next to it.

https://auction.siegelauctions.com/sale/1305?PageNo=19

Lot 2426... Catalogs $8... Graded 95J. Sold for 160!

Browsing that auction will give you a good idea of the higher end of things. Their other auctions are also fully online, and can be real eye openers.

Just like with cards, the ability to tell if a stamp is THAT nice is the key.

I will say that the expertizers /graders have less work, take more time, and are nearly always correct.
Old 12-22-2023, 10:16 AM

Steve, thanks so much for your insight, knowledge and perspective on grading. I've learned a lot already!

I'll check out the auction and information you provided. I'm also glad to hear there are some stamp collectors out there and still active!

I'm finding stamps to be very interesting and unlike today's card market, still affordable.
Old 12-23-2023, 02:54 AM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Check out this company:

https://www.noblespirit.com/

One of the largest sellers on ebay. They have very interesting stamp auctions. They also do videos talking to collectors and others. They support the Spellman (Philatelic) Museum on the campus of Regis College in Weston, MA and are heavily involved in the Stamp Market Index.

I don't collect anymore. I still go to stamp shows to look for interesting covers and souvenir sheets to get autographed by Olympians. An acquaintance of mine and member of my Olympic collecting club is the president of SPI (Sports Philatelists International). I talk with him occasionally about sports stamps.

The Springfield Stamp Club has a show at the high school a half mile from me in April. I found some nice Olympic pc's last year and there is usually a dealer selling sheets of older commens below face value.

The World Stamp Expo/Show will be in Boston in 2026. I went to the one in Washington, D.C. in 2006 and had a good time. It was easy for me to attend as I took the subway from work

stamps 1.jpg
stamps 2.jpg
stamps 3.jpg
stamps 4.jpg

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”

Last edited by Michael B; 12-23-2023 at 03:23 AM.
Old 12-23-2023, 03:48 AM
Sean McGinty

I collected as a kid and its been one of my many on-again off-again side hobbies over the years. Never something I’ve ever spent serious money on or viewed as an investment, its just one of those things that sometimes captures my interest for a few hours on a cold winter evening here and there.

I live in Japan and auction sites here will often sell off 10 to 20 lb bags of on paper used commemorative stamps for like 30 to 40 dollars or so. I buy one of those every 3 or 4 years. Those are always a fun project. Got my son into it when he was about 4 years old but wasn’t able to hold his interest for long. My dad, who got me into it as a kid, is still collecting at 80.
Old 12-23-2023, 09:00 AM

Steve much nailed it. Of the stamps shown two have certs, the 12 cent with an authentication only with no numerical grade, and the 3 cent with a 90J assigned grade. I have some other #1,2's and other imperf with grades as well.

At one time I owned the 1 cent stamp top pop Sc#9 100J, auctioned it and lost money
Attached Images
File Type: jpg U.S. Stamps certs.jpg (199.3 KB, 315 views)
File Type: jpg Sc#9 100Jumbo.jpg (61.9 KB, 313 views)
File Type: jpg Sc#9 cert.jpg (199.8 KB, 320 views)
Old 12-24-2023, 10:33 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
Check out this company:

https://www.noblespirit.com/

One of the largest sellers on ebay. They have very interesting stamp auctions. They also do videos talking to collectors and others. They support the Spellman (Philatelic) Museum on the campus of Regis College in Weston, MA and are heavily involved in the Stamp Market Index.

I don't collect anymore. I still go to stamp shows to look for interesting covers and souvenir sheets to get autographed by Olympians. An acquaintance of mine and member of my Olympic collecting club is the president of SPI (Sports Philatelists International). I talk with him occasionally about sports stamps.

The Springfield Stamp Club has a show at the high school a half mile from me in April. I found some nice Olympic pc's last year and there is usually a dealer selling sheets of older commens below face value.

The World Stamp Expo/Show will be in Boston in 2026. I went to the one in Washington, D.C. in 2006 and had a good time. It was easy for me to attend as I took the subway from work

Attachment 602367
Attachment 602368
Attachment 602369
Attachment 602370
I went to Washington in 2006 too. My wifes family lived in the area so I could also take the train/subway from the suburbs.

I'm close to Boston, so I'll probably be a volunteer at the Boston show.

And oddly enough, I've sort of decided to work on Olympic stamps in general. Not signed, but the stamps and covers.
Old 12-25-2023, 10:49 AM

I kind of got interested a couple of years ago when I purchased a big collection of First Day Covers, several autographed and several pretty rare. The previous owner was really into it and was super organized. I've attached a few photos from his college basketball album - which is pretty amazing and has some great autographs; Valvano, Pat Summitt, Wooden, Bob Knight, etc. There are probably 40+ autographed examples - that's a lot of dedication!

There was also a binder for college football and MLB.

Then I noticed the uptick in stamps. I purchased a stamp collection, small but amazing, that I'm waiting to arrive. I spent a substantial amount of money for it, but I think it has some really valuable stamps - so I'm on edge a little. Regardless, I find them interesting and that's why I solicited you guy's input which I appreciate. I'll share pictures, etc. when it arrives.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9532.jpg (194.1 KB, 302 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9533.jpg (195.3 KB, 303 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9534.jpg (196.4 KB, 306 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9535.jpg (195.0 KB, 305 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9536.jpg (195.6 KB, 302 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9537.jpg (196.2 KB, 303 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9548.jpg (194.8 KB, 302 views)
Old 12-27-2023, 10:01 AM
Robert J. Miller

Someone brought three large binders of stamps to my friends card store today. I am going to make an offer when I go to look at them this week. I expect nothing but common stamps but who knows? Mybe there will be a diamond in the rough.
Bob