NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-13-2023, 09:20 AM
John

Default M116 Blue Proof Blank Back

Hi everyone, has anyone come across one of these before? Also, what kind of value would one carry?
Thanks!
Old 11-13-2023, 10:49 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quite s few of these just sold in auction. Based on the ones sold, I would put yours at $400-$500, but your mileage may vary! If 2 Lajoie collectors want it, at the same time, who knows?

My type from the "set", as shown before (because I show stuff all the time)....

Old 11-13-2023, 11:00 AM

I too have seen these; I think an M Brown has floated around the BST.

My question is why is it a proof? In t206 world, there are plenty of bank banks that are not proofs. The fact that the name/all writing is missing on the M116s is material, perhaps determinative. But don’t proofs normals have markings on the sides and top-bottom intended to center the image (see image below)?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0386.jpg (104.9 KB, 379 views)

Last edited by Rhotchkiss; 11-13-2023 at 11:01 AM.
Old 11-13-2023, 11:07 AM
Josh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Quite s few of these just sold in auction. Based on the ones sold, I would put yours at $400-$500, but your mileage may vary! If 2 Lajoie collectors want it, at the same time, who knows?

Facebook collectors have already bid this card offering sadly up over 700$ and the guy did not accept it. I too thought value was in line, with what you listed above.
Old 11-13-2023, 11:09 AM
Ben North

Proofs can be as simple as a blank back but all blank backs are not proofs. Many proofs have a design difference than the finished card. Some have the marks like the Mathewson.
Old 11-13-2023, 11:15 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I have never thought, nor do I think, these are proofs. I think they are cuts from an ad piece. Of course that is only speculation but it's reasonable.

A proof is like the one Ryan showed (and I used to own )

edited to add, maybe they are scraps before the finals were made, but not necessarily the proofs, who knows?

Last edited by Leon; 11-13-2023 at 11:18 AM.
Old 11-13-2023, 11:30 AM

Another Net54 Brian had a bunch of these that he obtained and eventually sold. I got this one a few years back when it came up for auction with a bunch of others as individual lots. The big borders on this example make it very clear that these cards have no printer's centering marks, like the ones seen on Ryan's T206 Matty.

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg m116blankback 001.jpg (106.4 KB, 375 views)
File Type: jpg m116blankbackback 001.jpg (81.9 KB, 374 views)
Old 11-13-2023, 11:54 AM
Rob G.

My example from that "other" Net54 Brian

p.s. at least the author got the team name correct on the reverse.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Phillippe_Proof_(3220).jpg (87.8 KB, 366 views)

Last edited by tiger8mush; 11-13-2023 at 02:22 PM.
Old 11-13-2023, 12:03 PM
Luke Lyon

I once owned the Crawford from the group and was bummed that neither PSA or SGC would holder it. As Leon mentioned, you're asking at a good time as a ton of them just sold (via Sterling I believe).
Old 11-13-2023, 12:13 PM

I've got a Pelty. One thing that makes me think these aren't from an advertising piece is that the players names and teams aren't printed on them. Maybe pre-production? I don't know how popular Barney Pelty was but I would think it would be hard to pick him out of a line up. If it were for advertising I think they'd name him and other common players like him.

Last edited by packs; 11-13-2023 at 12:21 PM.
Old 11-13-2023, 12:42 PM
Rocky Rockwell

Default for what its worth

Bought this off eBay about a year or so ago..... has a blank back but does have the name and team unlike the others. Its a blank back..... probably not a proof but from a cut advertising sheet IMO.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2889.jpg (72.6 KB, 356 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2888.jpg (106.3 KB, 363 views)
Old 11-14-2023, 07:32 AM
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post

Thanks .

I was thinking right along there as well.
Old 11-14-2023, 02:13 PM
Brian McQueen
Administrator

Hi all, I'm the "other Net54 Brian" that had a large number of these. I had won a group of 65 of the captionless, blank backed "Proofs" in an REA auction over a decade ago and sold a large number of them last year. Judging by how it looks, the Lajoie from the original post could possibly have been a part of the same original collection given those two major characteristics along with the pinhole at the top and the writing on the back. It's interesting that the Lajoie was NOT part of my group, which did however include Leon's WaJo, so it's neat that other examples of those have survived. I don't believe I've seen any until today.

All of the other M116s I'm seeing in this thread came from my REA group with the exception being Rocky's Collins. I've owned a few handcut cards like this and can verify that the card stock used in these sort of cards is different from the captionless blank backs. The card stock is of a heavier, greyer more cardboard-like material. The other captionless cards are of a thinner stock and "whitish" in nature. Many of them are white as a cue-ball on the back.

Fun post....thanks for sharing this one!!
Old 11-14-2023, 02:18 PM
Brian McQueen
Administrator

Original Auction I won -
https://robertedwardauctions.com/auc...walter-johnson
Old 11-14-2023, 02:23 PM

What do you think about them as the original buyer of the lot? I still feel like if these were part of an advertisement, there wouldn't be so many common players without their names and teams listed underneath.
Old 11-14-2023, 03:56 PM
Jorge Pelayo

Great Thread !!!

Here are some from most likely an advertisement piece.
These have been in my collection for about 14 years.

Anyone have anymore info. on M116 advertisement cutouts ?

IMG_5525.jpg
IMG_5526.jpg
IMG_5527.jpg
IMG_5528.jpg
IMG_5529.jpg
IMG_5530.jpg
Old 11-14-2023, 05:51 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

I too doubt these are all proofs, but the crosshair alignment marks do not make a proof. Alignment marks indicate a proof, but there are many stages of proofing and multiple sheets were run (at least for the T's, provably) in different stages of proofing. Many proofs won't have the alignment marks. Usually it's something of an educated guess if a card is a proof or just incomplete from an unfinished sheet that got scrapped and backdoored, but we can produce proven proofs without crosshair alignment marks for the T cards.
Old 11-14-2023, 05:55 PM
Jerry Tate

Default cool

Cool thread guys...those are awesome Jorge...Jerry
Old 11-15-2023, 10:33 AM
Steven Sadler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstottlemire1 View Post
Facebook collectors have already bid this card offering sadly up over 700$ and the guy did not accept it. I too thought value was in line, with what you listed above.
Social media now reminds me of the days when I first started collecting on this forum. Cards often get snatched up quickly at full price or sell for a bit more than realistic value. The new influx of collectors to the pre war pool certainly has kept values steady and also made once common issues seem scarce.
Old 11-15-2023, 11:50 AM
Jorge Pelayo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrinus View Post
Cool thread guys...those are awesome Jorge...Jerry
Thanks Jerry appreciate it. Every time i pull these guys out ( which is not often ) im immediately reminded just how much i really dig this set. The blue backgrounds are just awesome !!
Old 11-15-2023, 12:39 PM
Josh

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxinseven View Post
Social media now reminds me of the days when I first started collecting on this forum. Cards often get snatched up quickly at full price or sell for a bit more than realistic value. The new influx of collectors to the pre war pool certainly has kept values steady and also made once common issues seem scarce.
Steve,

Def hit the mail on the head as we’ve discussed this in the past. Fb is full of swindlers in the card forums.
Old 11-17-2023, 05:12 PM
John

Ended up selling for $1000...
Old 11-18-2023, 03:24 PM
Josh reiner

Default I bought lajoie

Hey All

I bought the lajoie. It’s a card I’ve always wanted and when the proof popped up on Facebook, I didn’t really think twice about it. Just last week a similar Bresnahan sold at the sterling auction for over $400 if you include tax, shipping, and premium. Lajoie for $1000 seemed a bit high but fair. Too often cards have sold while I was negotiating, I didn’t want that to happen this time.

Thanks

Josh Reiner
Rhinoauctions on eBay