NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-08-2023, 07:15 AM
N.ate A.dams

Default Palm Beach Card Show: November 10-12, 2023

Hey all, the last time they put this card show on, several folks on here mentioned that they wished they had known about it - so I'm giving a very late notice for anyone interested.

I will be there (and most likely overwhelmed with 3 tables located at F3-F5. I will probably have my son skip school (he is 7) and help me on Friday. It will be his first card show experience, and only my 3rd.

I will also try to make space for a high top table behind my tables (the space lended itself to that possibility last time) so folks can sit and go through a binder if they would like.

https://palmbeachcardshow.simpletix.com/

Anyone else setting up or already planning on attending?

Old 11-08-2023, 07:38 AM
Phil Garry

I was planning on attending but have been suffering from back pain all week so not sure if I will be good enough by Saturday or Sunday to make it there. I’m in Orlando so a 2 1/2 hour drive for me. Feedback that I received after the last one wasn’t overwhelming so not going to go too far out of my way if I’m not up to it.

Last edited by bcbgcbrcb; 11-08-2023 at 07:39 AM.
Old 11-08-2023, 07:18 PM
N.ate A.dams

Understandable - hope your back feels better soon.

I will say that I guarantee there will be more vintage than last time. I can say that with full certainty because I was one of the only ones with vintage this past January, and I will have 3 tables instead of 1. So, at least triple the amount of vintage at the show when compared to this past January!

a
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbgcbrcb View Post
I was planning on attending but have been suffering from back pain all week so not sure if I will be good enough by Saturday or Sunday to make it there. I’m in Orlando so a 2 1/2 hour drive for me. Feedback that I received after the last one wasn’t overwhelming so not going to go too far out of my way if I’m not up to it.
Old 11-09-2023, 11:50 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Nate, I am going to make an effort to get there. What table number do you have so I can say hello and check out your wares. John
Old 11-09-2023, 01:02 PM
Phil Garry

He mentions F3-F5 in his initial post.
Old 11-09-2023, 01:30 PM
Bill Roberts

Get well soon Phil. The hobby is better with you active in it.
Old 11-09-2023, 03:22 PM
Phil Garry

Thank you for the well wishes, guys.

The back was just starting to feel a little better during the last 24 hours and now I seem to have come down with the flu or something similar.

Last edited by bcbgcbrcb; 11-09-2023 at 03:26 PM.
Old 11-09-2023, 03:41 PM
Doug Goodman

I'm flying to Ft Lauderdale on the redeye tonight, but I won't be close enough to WPB to make the show, since I won't have a car. Have fun without me.

Doug
Old 11-09-2023, 03:44 PM
Phil Garry

Wow, would have been really cool to meet you in person, Doug. At this point, I don’t think that there’s much chance that I am going to make it either. Still holding out hope for maybe Sunday but I doubt it.

Last edited by bcbgcbrcb; 11-09-2023 at 03:45 PM.
Old 11-10-2023, 08:45 PM
Phil Garry

Any updates from today’s opening day at the show?
Old 11-10-2023, 09:34 PM

Phil - I hope you feel better. Maybe, I'll see you at the National. beer chug.gifbeer chug.gifbeer chug.gif
Old 11-11-2023, 01:32 AM
Phil Garry

Thanks, Alan. Sounds good, that may be the only major show that I attend in 2024.
Old 11-11-2023, 06:13 PM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default live nearby

never heard of the show. I assume by vintage you mean post 1900?
Old 11-11-2023, 07:46 PM
N.ate A.dams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
Nate, I am going to make an effort to get there. What table number do you have so I can say hello and check out your wares. John

Hey John - I am at tables F3-F5. Would love to be able to meet you and talk cards!

To others asking too - I believe the show planners mistakenly thought Palm Beach County schools had off on Friday, which they did not. Attendance on Friday was very light. Today was a good crowd, but again, not a lot of vintage tables - which has resulted in not a lot of people coming to look for vintage.

I was able to make several great connections with vintage collectors -especially today (Saturday - 2nd day), however, and hope to make more tomorrow.
Old 11-12-2023, 07:56 AM
Phil Garry

Just watched a YouTube video of the show from Saturday. Looks like virtually no vintage, triple the number of dealers selling zion cases as vintage cards. Seems to be a repeat of the first go around there earlier in the year. Glad I didn’t spend the five hours driving back and forth along with the tolls and cost of gas. Hopefully, our lone Net54 member has a good show.

Last edited by bcbgcbrcb; 11-12-2023 at 08:04 AM.
Old 11-12-2023, 07:43 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Nate, sorry I couldn't make it. Family stuff. But Orlando put out a great U Tube video of the show, including your table. Even caught a glimpse of your 7 year old son. You appeared to have the best cases of vintage and pre-war, so hoping your set-up was a success. I did catch a glimpse of one dealer's case that held a nice looking Wagner E90-2 and maybe a E93 Cobb. Bet those weren't cheap. But the paucity of pre-war and tables filled with tons of shiny basketball shows that South Florida is not exactly a bastion of the older stuff. John
P.S. I would wager that Orlando's purchase of the T207 Armands and the E90-1 Mullins came from you.
Old 11-12-2023, 07:57 PM
Phil Garry

If you simply look at the demographics of Florida, you could easily determine that a southeastern Florida mega show would be geared almost entirely towards ultra-modern, modern and “vintage” as far back as the 1990’s or even maybe 1980’s. It looks silly having a second year Kareem card in a showcase otherwise filled with Jumbalaya’s, PMG’s, RPA’s, etc. Then there are those obviously modern card hobbyists showing footage of the show and describing it as “a little bit of everything”, Pokemon, modern basketball, ultra-modern football, 1990’s baseball inserts (we know from other threads here that Barry Larkins sell for over $1K) So where’s the video of the 1880’s Old Judge cards or E107 Breisch Williams cards or 1933 Worch Cigars? A little bit of everything, right?

I believe that this show is/was just a glorified version of the monthly shows that take place regularly down here in Fort Lauderdale, Miami, Clearwater and several others. Any shows down here that are more vintage than modern? I have yet to see a single one, ever.

Last edited by bcbgcbrcb; 11-12-2023 at 08:04 PM.
Old 11-14-2023, 06:05 AM
N.ate A.dams

john - completely get it. I do have a 7 year old son, but he wasnt there - so I dont want to take credit for someone else’s boy haha.

And yes - orlando bought the Armando Marsans and e90-1 George Mullin from me.

I may take more of a leadership role for this show and try to rectify the completely accurate portrayal of south florida sports shows. I will be talking with them soon about various things.

Has anyone been to any of the Port St. lucie shows?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-14-2023, 06:10 AM
Phil Garry

Nate: Hope you did well over the weekend.

I have been to the Port St. Lucie show a couple of times. It's a bit more tame than the wild west atmosphere of the further south card shows. Draws a so-so crowd, Pokemon was probably the biggest thing that I saw being coveted there.

Last edited by bcbgcbrcb; 11-14-2023 at 06:22 AM.
Old 11-14-2023, 06:15 AM
Phil Garry

Although not huge, the 3X a year or so card shows at The Villages are probably some of the most balanced in FL, with a pretty fair number of vintage dealers. Not a lot of 4 or 5 figure cards, but some good bargains to be had. For those that don't know, this is a 55+ community and very few vendors from outside are able to set up so it's primarily seniors driven from both a buyer and seller standpoint, thus, the greater emphasis on vintage as you would imagine. The monthly Orlando (really Apopka) card show has a good mix of vintage and modern, the downside is that the vintage there is primarily 3 or 4 dealers that take 3-4 tables each and are there every single show for many years now. Inventory probably changes somewhat over time but seems pretty consistent to me. These guys are all experts in their field so not a lot of bargains to be had here as a buyer although prices tend to be fair, not exorbitant.

Last edited by bcbgcbrcb; 11-14-2023 at 06:24 AM.
Old 11-14-2023, 06:16 AM
N.ate A.dams

I would be very interested to set up there if they would allow me in. Do you have a place/contact where I could at least ask about it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-14-2023, 06:28 AM
Phil Garry

Sure, Nate. I have a flyer with all of the show info, I'll send it to you, what's your e-mail address?
Old 11-16-2023, 04:02 PM
Jeff H

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbgcbrcb View Post
Although not huge, the 3X a year or so card shows at The Villages are probably some of the most balanced in FL, with a pretty fair number of vintage dealers. Not a lot of 4 or 5 figure cards, but some good bargains to be had. For those that don't know, this is a 55+ community and very few vendors from outside are able to set up so it's primarily seniors driven from both a buyer and seller standpoint, thus, the greater emphasis on vintage as you would imagine. The monthly Orlando (really Apopka) card show has a good mix of vintage and modern, the downside is that the vintage there is primarily 3 or 4 dealers that take 3-4 tables each and are there every single show for many years now. Inventory probably changes somewhat over time but seems pretty consistent to me. These guys are all experts in their field so not a lot of bargains to be had here as a buyer although prices tend to be fair, not exorbitant.

I’ve been to a couple of the Apopka shows in the past. I’ll probably go again this winter when I get back to Florida. The last show that I attended last winter was ok with about a fifty-fifty split of vintage versus modern. I agree that for the most part the prices are reasonable. My son found a couple of great bargains on vintage.