NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

View Poll Results: What is the best Slogan for Birmingham Auctioneers?
For the Love of the Card 3 6.98%
Collections to Collectors 1 2.33%
Cards for Collectors 4 9.30%
The Choice of Collectors 5 11.63%
For Collectors 2 4.65%
The Collector Connection 3 6.98%
Touched By Many 0 0%
No Hype Collecting 0 0%
The Collector's Home 4 9.30%
Cardboard for Collectors 2 4.65%
Cards for the End Collector 0 0%
Collecting for the Fun of It 4 9.30%
For the Collector at Heart 5 11.63%
Where your Singles Become Home Runs 10 23.26%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-24-2020, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tao_Moko View Post
I just want to point out that "touched by many" is a no go. That's a big fire and a miss.
Even I don't like it, and I was the one who came up with that stinker.

Brian
Old 06-24-2020, 09:44 PM
Jay Cee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tao_Moko View Post
I just want to point out that "touched by many" is a no go. That's a big fire and a miss.
I think that line was said by Jack Black in the movie School of Rock.
Old 06-25-2020, 12:44 AM
D/e/@/n H/@/c/k/e/t/t

Thank you Scott for a great idea and the generous offer. Good luck to you on your auction. I've put in my bids and maybe a few more before its all over. Good luck to everybody!
Old 06-25-2020, 09:41 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

I liked "It's in the Cards".

But did not see it in the poll, so voted for something else.

Best of luck with the auction!
Old 06-25-2020, 10:16 AM
H Murphy

Default Slogan

Birmingham Auctioners, "We`ve Got Your Bases Covered".

Birmingham Auctioners, "Small Enough to Care, Big Enough To Get It Done".
Old 06-25-2020, 11:31 AM
Tony S.ti.ns.a
Tony Stins.a

Default Slogan

MGM has the Latin slogan:
Ars gratis Artis. Art for Art's sake.

How about:
Coactos gratis Coactore. Collecting for the sake of the Collector.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it eat the dogfood
Old 06-25-2020, 05:48 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanTown View Post
I think that line was said by Jack Black in the movie School of Rock.
Terrible.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 06-25-2020 at 06:23 PM.
Old 06-26-2020, 10:11 PM
Scott Russell

So the run away winner is "Where your singles become home runs" which I would have tweaked to "Where our singles become your home runs" But even though I really like it, it is a little limited. We don't sell only singles, or even only cards for that matter. However since it won the poll the submitter, vintagecatcher, gets $100 credit to be spent at the auction that closes Sunday. But that leaves me still needing a slogan.

My initial 2nd choice was The Choice of Collectors, but an attorney friend advised me that it may be too similar to Upper Deck's The Collectors Choice. So I'm going to tweak one and make The Collector Connection, The Collector's Connection,and award a $100 Credit to brianp-beme (almost inevitable with the 18 million submissions lol)

Finally we didn't get crazy scientific just wrote the voters names on a slip of paper and drew one. Congrats and a $50 credit to Toledo Mudhen.

Remember these credits are for the auction that ends Sunday, so if you're not already registered do so soon! Please use your Net54 name as your username to make it easier to track who is getting the credit.

Thanks to everyone for participating and please check out the auction (kinda the point of all this) still a lot of great bargains especially Goudey and Play Ball HOF'ers!
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 06-27-2020, 01:35 AM

Thanks Scott for the contest and allowing me to spread slogans around like they are manure. Just be thankful, because you could have ended up stuck with "Collecting Schmellecting".

But seriously, it is cool that I had a part in 'branding' your auction house, and will be on the lookout for the tweaked slogan in your logo and hobby advertising.

And I certainly will take advantage of the auction credit...there are multiple lots that I have my eye on. This type of auction allows a Collector like myself Connect with the Cards I want.

Brian (I have always been one to Connect/Collect the dots)
Old 06-27-2020, 02:50 AM

Default Thanks!

Thanks Scott and those who voted!

Scott, I'll email you my user name since I have already registered and have been bidding in the current action.

Thanks again,

Patrick

Last edited by Vintagecatcher; 06-27-2020 at 03:10 AM.
Old 06-28-2020, 05:12 AM
Scott Russell

Last day, with some amazing photos, including Conlons still waiting for an opening bid. Great vintage publications such as Baseball Magazine and Illustrated Football Annual also with no bids.

HOF'ers from numerous Strip Card Sets as well as Play Ball, Goudey, Double Play and more under $10!

T205 & T206 HOF'ers under $50.

Don't miss out. Initial bids must be in before 10pm Eastern on any lots you might want to bid on in extended bidding!
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

Old 06-29-2020, 09:20 AM
Scott Russell

Thanks for an amazing auction. We sold a Tolstoi Red Portrait Cobb in PSA 1 for $2600 destroying what Heritage got for one in December. Remember We're not as big as the big boys, but that card was probably on page 32 in Heritage. It was in the first line in our auction and a focal point of all of our advertising. Also, we're likely to give you better terms on a $1,000 - $5,000 card than the big houses. We offer no commission on playing era cards of Cobb, Ruth, Wagner, Cy Young, Gehrig, WaJo, and Joe Jackson. We offer 105% of hammer for nicer examples. We have to put together another Pre War for late in the year, so hit me up!

Old 06-29-2020, 09:32 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

What a great auction. Was fun to bid on cool cards and not have to worry about insane sticker shock when the invoice arrives. And many cards not in plastic slabs. What a concept. You can actually touch them. And my consigning experience was great too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Thanks for an amazing auction. We sold a Tolstoi Red Portrait Cobb in PSA 1 for $2600 destroying what Heritage got for one in December. Remember We're not as big as the big boys, but that card was probably on page 32 in Heritage. It was in the first line in our auction and a focal point of all of our advertising. Also, we're likely to give you better terms on a $1,000 - $5,000 card than the big houses. We offer no commission on playing era cards of Cobb, Ruth, Wagner, Cy Young, Gehrig, WaJo, and Joe Jackson. We offer 105% of hammer for nicer examples. We have to put together another Pre War for late in the year, so hit me up!
Old 06-29-2020, 10:01 AM
Br.ent So.bie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
What a great auction. Was fun to bid on cool cards and not have to worry about insane sticker shock when the invoice arrives. And many cards not in plastic slabs. What a concept. You can actually touch them. And my consigning experience was great too.
There is never any "insane sticker shock" for those that simply read the auction rules. For those clueless individuals that bid in an auction WITHOUT reading the rules, or for those not skilled enough to use a calculator... yes, I guess there is "sticker shock".
Old 06-29-2020, 10:04 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huysmans View Post
There is never any "insane sticker shock" for those that simply read the auction rules. For those clueless individuals that bid in an auction WITHOUT reading the rules, or for those not skilled enough to use a calculator... yes, I guess there is "sticker shock".
Wow. Thanks for picking a fight with me for absolutely no reason, as I was doing nothing more than complimenting a good board member.

I know full well how fees work pal. Even when I buy a six figure card on occasion. Or better yet sell one. Fees had nothing to do with my comment. But you probably feel better now. That's cool Glad to provide a service.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 06-29-2020 at 10:36 AM.
Old 06-29-2020, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Wow. Thanks for picking a fight with me for absolutely no reason, as I was doing nothing more than complimenting a good board member.

I know how full well how fees work pal. Even when I buy a six figure card on occasion. Or better yet sell one. Fees had nothing to do with my comment. But you probably feel better now. That's cool Glad to provide a service.
Lmfao. This is hilarious. He really showed you! It's nice to know we have board members educating people on how to use a calculator or factor in the juice.

The auction was fantastic, thanks again Scott. Looking forward to my SC OPs.
Schlei (Catching) Back run: 10/12 (minus blank back)

Actively collecting t206 Hall of Famers, Southern Leaguers, and Various backs in good to excellent condition. Love talking cards too.
Old 06-29-2020, 10:45 AM

A B C - Always Be Collecting

OK, movie references probably aren't the best way to go.
Old 06-29-2020, 11:00 AM
Br.ent So.bie

Quote:

I know full well how fees work pal. Even when I buy a six figure card on occasion. Or better yet sell one. Fees had nothing to do with my comment. But you probably feel better now. That's cool Glad to provide a service.
You apparently don't know how auction fees work if you have to complain about something so basic. And your comment had everything to do with fees, otherwise, why mention it???

It's you that probably feels better with having to boast about buying six figure cards - something that actually has NOTHING TO DO with the topic "pal".

And this isn't about taking any of the spotlight away from Scott and his excellent auctions.
Old 06-29-2020, 11:03 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
You apparently don't know how auction fees work if you have to complain about something so basic. And your comment had everything to do with fees, otherwise, why mention it???

It's you that probably feels better with having to boast about buying six figure cards - something that actually has NOTHING TO DO with the topic "pal".

And this isn't about taking any of the spotlight away from Scott and his excellent auctions.
Thanks. I had no idea about these fees. (Even though I consigned to said auction.)
Old 06-29-2020, 11:06 AM

How does one not know how fees work? It's essentially an inherent part of this hobby.

Actively collecting t206 Hall of Famers, Southern Leaguers, and Various backs in good to excellent condition. Love talking cards too.
Old 06-29-2020, 11:11 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazoo View Post
How does one not know how fees work? It's essentially an inherent part of this hobby.
I've been buying and selling for years and this guy just opened my eyes. He cracked the code. Smart guy.
Old 06-29-2020, 11:14 AM
Rob

"Put, the coffee, down!"

I had fun staying up late, battling back and forth, on a card that ended at $143.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg glengarrycoffee.jpg (27.5 KB, 70 views)
Old 06-29-2020, 11:18 AM

Quote:
I've been buying and selling for years and this guy just opened my eyes. He cracked the code. Smart guy.
Thanks for the laugh Steve. Can learn something new everyday I guess...

Old 06-29-2020, 11:21 AM
Br.ent So.bie

Quote:
You're welcome!
.... you seemed beyond utterly clueless using a ridiculous term like "insane sticker shock" for someone who then claims to be an expert on auction fees.
Old 06-29-2020, 11:29 AM

Quote:
You're welcome!
.... you seemed beyond utterly clueless using a ridiculous term like "insane sticker shock" for someone who then claims to be an expert on auction fees.
go home troll only your keyboard can protect you

Old 06-29-2020, 11:30 AM
Br.ent So.bie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazoo View Post
go home troll only your keyboard can protect you
Cry me a river little girl...
Old 06-29-2020, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Cry me a river little girl...
Dang you got me! Buh bye

Old 06-29-2020, 11:40 AM
Scott Russell

Brent, I hate to speak for someone else, but I think he was referring to the fact that my entire auction sold for less than some of the individual cards he buys on occasion.

Old 06-29-2020, 11:45 AM
H Murphy

Default Auction

Really enjoyed my 1`st time experience with Scott`s auction house. As busy as I`m sure he was yesterday, he took the EXTRA step in getting me registered and bid eligible late Sunday afternoon. Paid off nicely for me, picked up a nice Jack Warhop type 1 photo ironically while watching J Goodman starring in "Babe". Will for sure be monitoring the future offerings. well done sir !
Old 06-29-2020, 11:45 AM
Br.ent So.bie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Brent, I hate to speak for someone else, but I think he was referring to the fact that my entire auction sold for less than some of the individual cards he buys on occasion.
Thank you for adding that Scott. And again, this wasn't to take anything away from your auctions, and if you feel it has, I sincerely apologize. I won't comment on the subject again.
Old 06-29-2020, 11:46 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMcKenzie View Post
"Put, the coffee, down!"

I had fun staying up late, battling back and forth, on a card that ended at $143.
Yeah, that was interesting to watch. You made up for it on the SGC 5 though!

Old 06-30-2020, 10:56 AM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default New slogan

"The auction where I actually have winning bids"

Fun auction! I enjoyed having so many cards to bid on that fit my collection and I won 13 lots!
(Pretty rare for me since my bids usually get rolled over in later bidding in most auctions.)

Thanks for putting it together, Scott and your consignment partners. I may become one of them some day!

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.
Old 06-30-2020, 12:52 PM
Scott Russell

Your slogan made me smile.

Old 06-30-2020, 04:17 PM
Doug

Thanks Scott, I did great, and my great grandfathers cards are in the hands of folks who will enjoy them more than me. Hopefully they'll last another 110 years. I highly recommend consigning with Scott. He drove to Milford PA just to meet me and pick up the cards. This is a totally unsolicited testimonial... My singles really did become home runs...

It is what it is...