NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 07-22-2018, 10:16 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

OK... Here's one that I find to be a head-scratcher. Perhaps Kyle and the other pennant guys will find it to be a mystery as well.

Check out this green Brooklyn Pennant with the Bum inside of Ebbets Field. Classic Trench design... right?

Well, not so fast!

Check out the second photo. We have the classic blue felt Trench "Bum in Ebbets Field" Pennant (complete with Trench Logo). But also note the infamous "Creepy Uncle" Bums Pennant from Ad Flag. The font stating "Da Bums" (right above his head) is identical to that on the green Trench Pennant.

So is it possible that Trench and Ad Flag shared some of the design work, or that some pennant artists of the era worked for both companies? Perhaps someone here has a better explanation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bums1.jpg (36.6 KB, 321 views)
File Type: jpg Bums2.jpg (42.0 KB, 324 views)
Old 07-23-2018, 05:07 AM
Rob

The “creepy Uncle” is marked as Ad Flag?

My gut tells me artwork may have been stolen, more than shared.

Kyle will figure it out.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:51 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
The “creepy Uncle” is marked as Ad Flag?

My gut tells me artwork may have been stolen, more than shared.

Kyle will figure it out.
Yep... Creepy Uncle is an Ad Flag creation
Old 07-23-2018, 07:32 PM

Mark, if I recall you posed the very same question months (years?) ago on this thread and referenced the very same green Ebbets Field/"Da Bums" pennant. Observations like this one inspired me to start looking at these companies further in search of some answers. That effort eventually led to my BLOG.

So, thank you. (I think I even used your photo of that pennant in my Trench post.)

Anyway, I'm working on an ADFLAG post that I think will answer all of our questions. With that said, I hinted at what I think the answer is in my last post: https://pennantfever.weebly.com/blog.../trench-mfg-co

There are plenty of examples of instances wherein it appears Trench's designs were copied by their competitors. The chief offender was ADFLAG, but also ASCO and to a lesser extent, Keezer, were all guilty. I don't suspect there was any type of partnership between these companies. The artwork was simply ripped off--plain and simple--because it was in high demand and it wasn't legally protected like it would be today.

There's a Cincinnati Reds stadium pennant comparison in my last post you may want to re-visit. It looks a lot like the aforementioned Ebbets Field hybrid you reference. The artwork of Crosley Field is identical between the two pennants ... but for one small difference: Only Trench placed their mark beside the image. That's significant. Since ADFLAG was then secreting their name within their artwork, we should ask why they omitted it on this particular design? The most logical answer is that this wasn't their artwork, and placing their name in it would have crossed the line.

Like signing your name on someone else's painting.

In sum, it looks like ADFLAG reproduced some of Trench's original artwork on their pennants. To make the designs their own, they then doctored the pennants up with their own text, using their own font. The end result are these Frankenstein-like pennants that represent an amalgamation of two companies' work.

And there have to be other Frankensteins out there! I suspect they will involve stadium pennants made in the mid-1950s. By the 1960s, it looks like ADFLAG began making their own stadium renderings; however, when compared together, they're still very similar to Trench's designs, like the two Chicago Cubs/Wrigley Field stadium pennants shown in my last post.

Much more to come.
Old 07-23-2018, 07:58 PM
Rob

I have many ADFLAG NY and SF Giants pennants (same design, different colors, ADFLAG under catcher's foot). These don't seem to have ripped anyone off. Interesting that the one with Candlestick is not marked ADFLAG.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2725.jpg (76.9 KB, 294 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2722.jpg (76.5 KB, 299 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2721.jpg (77.9 KB, 298 views)
Old 07-24-2018, 09:16 AM

Great pennants
Old 07-24-2018, 03:17 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domer05 View Post
One more thing: I also noted on your '62 photo pennant that those same initials "WC" appear in the upper left corner of the pennant. So, that's now two different Trench pennants from that year with these initials. Can't be the artist's initials, as we last suspected.

Unless he/she is also a photographer.
One of my Giants collector frenemies thinks it stands for WinCraft. It could be. I was surprised to learn from their website that WinCraft has been around since 1961. And they do spell it with an upper case W and C.
Old 07-24-2018, 04:46 PM

It could be WinCraft. And you are correct that WinCraft's origins date back to 1961; however, I find it unlikely based upon my preliminary research into them that they were set-up to manufacture MLB pennants, and for an out of market team no less, within a year of opening.

I do plan to cover WinCraft and a related pennant maker from the same Minnesota town, ASCO, in a future post. But, since you bring WinCraft up, I found an article describing their beginnings as being rather humble. It began as a three person operation doing business above a bar in Winona, MN. What's more, they principally made pom poms and celluloid buttons for local high schools. No mention of pennants or other felt novelties.

Given these modest beginnings, I think it unlikely they made your pennant. As far as I know, WinCraft didn't start making felt pennants until the late 1970s after they merged with ASCO, another Winona-based company that had been making pennants since the late 1940s.

Again, my research is not complete so I could be wrong on all this. Still, I can offer no better answer as to what "WC" might have stood for. I'm curious if other pennants from the early 1960s bore that same mark, or it was limited to just Giant pennants....

And as to ADFLAG, you are correct as to the maker of those three Giants pennants you displayed. It looks like ADFLAG secreted their name in their original artwork throughout the 1950s, but stopped doing so by the mid-1960s. The "Chavez Ravine" stadium pennants below are very similar to your Candlestick one and were made around the same time by ADFLAG as their answer to Trench's Dodger Stadium pennants. One's even dated 1965. Like your Candlestick pennant, neither has a maker's mark. So, for some reason they just discarded this practice by mid-decade. Shortly thereafter it looks like they may have gotten out of the pennant business to focus on more profitable product lines.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ChavezRavinePennants.jpg (61.7 KB, 282 views)
Old 07-25-2018, 08:44 AM
Rob

Perhaps WC is a regional company located somewhere in No.Cal?

image host
Old 07-25-2018, 02:08 PM
Marc

Default WC

Rob's version of this 1962 Giants team photo pennant has the WC. Mine does not. I actually have two of these pennants, and neither has the WC. It is hard to imagine that this pennant had a long shelf life. Long enough to have a variation or a knock off. Maybe WC was a specific vendor?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1962 Photo pennant.jpg (80.5 KB, 250 views)

Last edited by bocca001; 07-25-2018 at 02:08 PM.
Old 07-25-2018, 04:31 PM

This Cal pennant sure looks to me to be a Trench-made pennant. It's hard to put in words, but if you look at enough of their stadium pennants, they start to look the same.

One sign, for instance, is the way the artist writes the name of the stadium beside the drawing. In the 1950s, he/she used a combination of upper and lower case letters. Also, they were hand written, which means if you look at enough of these, you start to recognize the handwriting.

Below you'll see a side-by-side comparison of what I'm talking about. Note that the word "Stadium" sure looks similar, but for the "S". That difference notwithstanding, I still think the same artist drew these two renderings, and Trench made both pennants.

Which is consistent with our previous beliefs, namely that Rob's '62 photo pennant and '62 batter on baseball near bridge pennants--both of which bore this "WC" mark--were made by Trench.

It's noteworthy that the University California is located in Berkeley, just across the bay from San Francisco. This fact, and the observation that only some of these pennants bore the "WC" mark while others didn't, suggests that "WC" signifies either the name of the concessionaire that ran both Candlestick and Memorial Stadium, or else a bay area retailer that did a lot of business with Trench, like a novelty or sporting goods store that would sell both Giants and Bears pennants.

I think we may be close to solving this mystery....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WCmark as Trench pennant.jpg (68.6 KB, 423 views)
Old 07-25-2018, 05:18 PM
Rob

Have we discussed this before? Marc’s photo pennant used to be mine.

Last edited by ooo-ribay; 07-25-2018 at 05:19 PM.
Old 07-26-2018, 12:31 PM
Marc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
Have we discussed this before? Marc’s photo pennant used to be mine.
Rob- That pennant has a "unique" smell among my pennants. Was it always that way? Did you happen to pee on it before you sold it?

I'm attaching a pic of my other copy. The rare brown front with black back version. I bought this one when I figured that I'd have to wait forever to get a better one (and then, of course, the better looking one showed up soon thereafter... the brown one does smell better though).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1962 giants brown pennant.jpg (79.7 KB, 397 views)
Old 07-26-2018, 06:03 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocca001 View Post
Rob- That pennant has a "unique" smell among my pennants. Was it always that way? Did you happen to pee on it before you sold it?

I'm attaching a pic of my other copy. The rare brown front with black back version. I bought this one when I figured that I'd have to wait forever to get a better one (and then, of course, the better looking one showed up soon thereafter... the brown one does smell better though).
To the first question: not that I remember. I know it used to be mine, due the the ring left by a rusty pin.

I assume you’re being facetious about the “rare brown front with black back.”
Old 07-26-2018, 06:42 PM
Marc

Default 1962 Giants Team Photo Pennant

Yeah, the front on that one is faded by the sun, so it is now brown instead of black. Very noticeable in person. The back is still very black.

I think I noticed that yours has different colored tassels (orange). Maybe those with orange tassels have the WC, whereas black tassels have no WC?
Old 07-29-2018, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domer05 View Post

It's noteworthy that the University California is located in Berkeley, just across the bay from San Francisco. This fact, and the observation that only some of these pennants bore the "WC" mark while others didn't, suggests that "WC" signifies either the name of the concessionaire that ran both Candlestick and Memorial Stadium, or else a bay area retailer that did a lot of business with Trench, like a novelty or sporting goods store that would sell both Giants and Bears pennants.
My Cal pennant lacks this mark, in fact my collection is devoid of any marks I believe, so many variations
Old 08-02-2018, 05:59 PM

Old 08-02-2018, 08:36 PM
Marc

That's awesome Jimm. I've been looking for that one. Love the guy swinging the redwood.
Old 08-02-2018, 09:29 PM

Thanks, dont see them often. Played in Rohnert Park Stadium, an Angel affiliate I think. Later inhabited by the Sonoma County Crushers of the Independant Western League. Kevin Mitchell even managed them and managed to get in a brawl where the other teams owner got clobbered

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Old 08-12-2018, 10:39 PM
Mikeknapp

For some reason this one has proven to be elusive. I finally picked one up today. Not an earth shattering event but at least it keeps this thread on the first page.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1971 pnnant.jpg (85.2 KB, 246 views)

If you have any 1971 Pirate regular season game stubs (home or away games) please let me know what have!

1971 Pirates Game used bats Collection 18/18 (100%)
Old 08-13-2018, 01:24 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Great Pirates Pennant! You never see that variation...

Awesome pickup!
Old 08-13-2018, 04:27 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71buc View Post
For some reason this one has proven to be elusive. I finally picked one up today. Not an earth shattering event but at least it keeps this thread on the first page.
Always great to pick up something you’ve known was “out there.” I doubt you even had to pay much.
Old 08-13-2018, 06:08 PM
Mikeknapp

$30 well spent

If you have any 1971 Pirate regular season game stubs (home or away games) please let me know what have!

1971 Pirates Game used bats Collection 18/18 (100%)
Old 08-13-2018, 08:44 PM
Marc

Default Pennant related

I was in SF this past week went to a Giants game. They have an area called the "Vault" with some memorabilia to help celebrate 60 years in SF. They only had one pennant on display (a not so rare version with a pitcher that was not even worthy of a picture). But they did have these two banners. One that looked very much like Rob's. And a second pretty cool one of a batter that was supposedly hung along SF streets to help welcome the team in 1958.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ATT Banner 1.jpg (66.9 KB, 352 views)
File Type: jpg SF 1958 Banner.jpg (69.2 KB, 347 views)

Last edited by bocca001; 08-13-2018 at 08:44 PM.
Old 08-14-2018, 10:54 AM

Very nice, dig the card display as well
Old 08-14-2018, 03:19 PM
Rob

The “Welcome Giants” is either on loan from a Net54 member or he sold it to the Giants. I’m guessing on loan.
Old 08-14-2018, 04:45 PM
Marc

Default Giants banner

They said that many of the items were on loan. And the "Welcome Giants" banner was really nice.
Old 08-22-2018, 02:20 PM

A few more...

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Old 08-22-2018, 05:25 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Very nice pickups, jimm!

On a separate note, I've noticed a disturbing (and growing) trend of Ebay Sellers portraying reproduction pennants as vintage. Way too many examples to list, but here are a few examples...

Seller uses the word "vintage" in his description, and has it priced at 6 times the value of a reproduction. Hopefully nobody gets sucked in...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Bro....c100011.m1850

Just another obvious Mitchell & Ness Repro, which has garnered 2 bids over $100 so far. You would hope that anyone with over $100 to spend on a piece of felt could tell the difference...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-ORIGIN...t/192630816617

Common reproduction of a Brooklyn Bums Pennant. But the seller uses the word "vintage" and has it priced at 4 times the value of a repro...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-MLB...gAAOSwojdbOVXk

There are far more.... it took me about 4 minutes to find these three
Old 08-22-2018, 07:08 PM
Rob

^^^ P.T. Barnum’s watch was slow.
Old 08-24-2018, 07:15 AM
Ja.son Hugh.es

It bothers me too. I sometimes email them and obviously get no response. They all know exactly the scam they are running. I don’t know how people live with themselves, but that is society nowadays.
Old 08-24-2018, 09:39 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo View Post
It bothers me too. I sometimes email them and obviously get no response. They all know exactly the scam they are running. I don’t know how people live with themselves, but that is society nowadays.
I emailed someone about this a couple weeks back and they actually updated their listing. I expected a snarky response but all I got was "ok" and when I checked the listing was revised.

But I agree...I've noticed many more recently. I was always thankful reproductions hadn't really made their way into the pennant hobby. They've pretty much ruined the card hobby. Just about any card you search on eBay will have unauthorized fakes in the search results.

Don't know if I ever posted about it on here, but I bought a "rare" Packers pennant from a guy in Canada. It looked a little weird but it was the Packers so I took a shot. The thing was made out of fuzzy construction paper that he called "felt" and literally looked like he made it in his basement using supplies from Michaels.

He didn't offer returns, but when I threatened to open a "not as described" case with eBay...the first response was defensive and resistant. But after opening the case, someone else reached out to me and couldn't have been more cooperative. In fact, he refunded my money without me even sending it back. I didn't want it, so I did send it back...and once he received, he sent me another $10 for the return shipping cost. He's got others listed now. I see multiple teams and sports. They are junk. I also noticed he's dropped his asking prices pretty significantly.
Old 08-25-2018, 04:20 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Well, unfortunately a couple of bidders felt this Mitchell & Ness Repro was worth over $300. Such a shame.... I wonder if the "winner" will still be happy when he has it in-hand?

https://www.ebay.com/bfl/viewbids/19...p2047675.l2565
Old 08-25-2018, 04:39 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Well, unfortunately a couple of bidders felt this Mitchell & Ness Repro was worth over $300. Such a shame.... I wonder if the "winner" will still be happy when he has it in-hand?

https://www.ebay.com/bfl/viewbids/19...p2047675.l2565
Just curious...Did Mitchell & Ness make more than one version of this pennant? The M&N version I saw had a thinner spine and no 1946 designation on it. Do you think it was added later by someone?

That's a pretty good looking reproduction. Damn Mitchell and Ness.
Old 08-25-2018, 05:08 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Yes... Someone probably added the date along the spine. The graphics of the pennant appear to be the typical M&N "raised velvet", but the date written on the spine looks like paint.

If authentic, this pennant would have sold closer to $2K.
Old 08-25-2018, 05:24 PM
Marc

Well... you all know that I ended up with an SF Seals one of these (modern pennant with vintage look) at an early point in my pennant collecting career. That Seals pennant was even listed/pictured in Egner's vintage pennant price guide, which was why I thought it was ok. So people do get fooled.

Here are a few recent pickups that are clearly vintage (both were cheap, and I'm a sucker for red).

Jimm- if you read this, I want to know if your Bay Area collection includes a "Billy Ball" A's pennant. That's another pennant on my want my list (I heard so many Billy Ball commercials on the radio as a kid).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Red Giants bridge pennant.jpg (80.3 KB, 222 views)
File Type: jpg Giants bridge pennant.jpg (78.2 KB, 222 views)

Last edited by bocca001; 08-25-2018 at 05:26 PM.
Old 08-26-2018, 12:48 PM

Nice don't recall a Billy Ball one... an abundance of the BigHead player style ones in my area. Probably closer to 1990
Old 08-26-2018, 12:49 PM

Do the MNs say MN on them somewheres?
Old 08-26-2018, 01:06 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Unfortunately not...

They come with a paper hang-tag that has the Mitchell & Ness name and logo plastered all over it. But once that is detached, there are no markings on the actual felt pennant. Very unfortunate, as these can look pretty convincing when artificially "aged".
Old 08-26-2018, 03:24 PM
The Uber Anal Retentive Freak

Mitchell and Ness got me started on my vintage pennant addiction. I live near Philly and their retail store. Every Super Bowl weekend they had a 50% off sale on most items, including their repro pennants which were in their infancy. I bought some to decorate a game room. But they had some vintage pennants scattered throughout the store as decorations, and I thought they looked better, though they were not for sale. I was new to eBay and eventually started my collection.

In most instances you can tell right away by sight, but when it comes to those full sized BF3 pennants it is kinda tough ...

Last edited by thetahat; 08-26-2018 at 04:23 PM.
Old 08-26-2018, 05:37 PM
Rob

When did Mitchell and Ness make these? Sounds like back in the mid-90s? I assume they stopped not soon after? They don't still make them do they?
Old 08-26-2018, 06:06 PM
Rob

Default As football season approaches...

Picked this up recently in a lot of college pennants. I'm guessing this Pratt Institute in Brooklyn, NY. They did play football in this era of pennant. Though not sure. I'm guessing early 1900s?

image host
Old 08-26-2018, 06:52 PM
Rob

Default New York Jets

Happy to get this rare New York Jets as well.

image host
Old 08-28-2018, 12:52 PM
Rob

Awesome condition on those bad boys! ^^^^
Old 08-28-2018, 01:55 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Great stuff, Rob...

That Pratt Pennant is sweet, and definitely early 1900s.

Been a long while since I've posted any pickups, so here are a few recent ones. The highlights are a super-rare Rockford Peaches Pennant is NRMT shape. I wanted just one example from the AAGPBL, and this was the one to have.

Also a single-year Football Franchise - the NY Bulldogs. A somewhat crazy and confusing history, as the Boston Yanks became the NY Bulldogs. After just one year, they became the New York Yanks for 2 years, and then the Dallas Texans. Thanks Google!

Also landed a rare 1960 All Star Game Pennant, with many thanks to my net54 friend Erik, for the assist...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EB2.jpg (65.9 KB, 195 views)
File Type: jpg EB5.jpg (71.8 KB, 194 views)
File Type: jpg EB3.jpg (80.1 KB, 196 views)
File Type: jpg EB8.jpg (76.5 KB, 195 views)
File Type: jpg EB7.jpg (79.4 KB, 196 views)

Last edited by perezfan; 08-28-2018 at 01:57 PM.
Old 08-28-2018, 02:13 PM

Well thats a nice grouping!
Old 08-28-2018, 02:39 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Thanks... I know... No focus whatsoever.

Just a completely random grouping of cool felt.
Old 08-28-2018, 03:19 PM
Rob

Great haul Mark! The 1960 All Star pennant reminds me of a similar NFL All Star pennant. Same team logos design. The Rockford pennant is sweet!

Happy to see that Mating Bears pennant find a good home.

Rob
Old 08-28-2018, 07:08 PM
Rob

Those are awesome, “Mr. Mint”!
Old 08-28-2018, 09:52 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Those are some nice pick ups guys. Mark, I’m surprised you were fine with the wear to that 1960 All Star. I dont think most people understand how difficult some pennants are to find. I have the American and National versions of this pennant, but not in the blue color. They are really hard to find given how easy most 1960’s pennants are to find. I also think a lot of dated 1961 Yankees pennants are very difficult for their age. You would think that anything from New York would be easy to find, but that’s not always the case.