NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 07-15-2011, 03:28 PM
qu@n nguy3n

Default hank greenberg auto good?

sorry to bother but i'm just getting into autographs a bit. this one looks ok to the others i've compared to...but what do i know

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=190555010639

seller did guarantee that it'd pass psa/dna or jsa. just want everyone's opinion here before i do something stupid. usually i'd just look only for certified ones or at least the psa/dna slabs first.
Old 07-15-2011, 04:20 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

Isn't the 100% Authentic Team another name for American Memorabilia? I don't know about the auto, but the source doesn't instill confidence.

Ken
earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com
Old 07-16-2011, 11:50 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

I think it's probably ok. And I am the last person to defend American Memorabilia...

AMI is more infamous for not paying consignors, failure to return calls, and rampant shill bidding than they are for offering bogus items. I think they (usually) are ok in terms of authenticity. It's all the other "sleaze factors" that would cause me to avoid them...

Not a big fan of the Sharpie signature, but I believe this Greenberg is authentic.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:05 PM
qu@n nguy3n

thx for the opinions, i'm still on the fence about it.

what's wrong with sharpie sigs?
Old 07-16-2011, 12:21 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

Sharpie sigs have a tendency to fade, yellow, bleed, or "fox" (look like it has a halo) after time. However, some will not, and there is no rhyme or reason as to which ones will. Greenberg was famous for using black sharpie, and to get a sig of his in pen will cost a premium.

My buying opinion is, if a sharpie sig still looks brand new after 10-15 years, you're probably good to go, and I've added to my own collection under this policy. Others may disagree, or have different experiences.

As for this particular sig, it looks just like mine, but I don't have the Greenberg experience others might.

Ken
Old 07-16-2011, 12:25 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Nothing's wrong with Sharpies (other than the potential aging issues pointed out above). Fountain Pen or Ballpoint is just a personal preference for me. I know that the more modern stuff is all sharpie-signed. I just like the more vintage "old school" look.

Regarding Greenberg, I would prefer a vintage signed Index Card perhaps matted with a B & W photo (as opposed to this modern looking piece). Again, that's just my personal opinion, FWIW.

Last edited by perezfan; 07-16-2011 at 12:29 PM.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:33 PM
qu@n nguy3n

alright guys very good information much appreciated!

maybe i'll do a psa/dna quick opinion if i decide to go for it. the regular authentication fee is $75 so that option is out.
Old 07-16-2011, 02:11 PM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
Sharpie sigs have a tendency to fade, yellow, bleed, or "fox" (look like it has a halo) after time. However, some will not, and there is no rhyme or reason as to which ones will. Greenberg was famous for using black sharpie, and to get a sig of his in pen will cost a premium.

My buying opinion is, if a sharpie sig still looks brand new after 10-15 years, you're probably good to go, and I've added to my own collection under this policy. Others may disagree, or have different experiences.

As for this particular sig, it looks just like mine, but I don't have the Greenberg experience others might.

Ken
Actually, Sharpie changed their formula years ago and the yellow halo is a thing of the past. However, during Greenberg's lifetime, you are correct... those Sharpies had the halo effect.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:04 PM

I wrote to Mr. Greenberg in the early 80's and his wife wrote back and said he was too ill to sign....
Old 07-16-2011, 11:00 PM
qu@n nguy3n

that's certainly interesting as i do see alot of these 1983 donruss cards certified by various authentication services out there.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:40 AM
M@rk V3l@rd3

This one is mine. Looks pretty close to me.

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL