NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-18-2005, 05:09 PM
Administrator

Default Salesmanship? Somebody, please wake me up!

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

This is pretty funny. I know that people probably hate reading these threads but this actually has some entertainment value to it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1915-CRACKER-JACK-TY-COBB-30_W0QQitemZ5244588050QQcategoryZ86841QQrdZ1QQcmdZ ViewItem

Old 09-18-2005, 05:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian

Just brought this topic up in the chat room...haven't seen this scam lately

Brian

Old 09-19-2005, 06:36 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

Old 09-19-2005, 09:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tim Newcomb

see title

Old 09-19-2005, 11:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

The guy slides a fake card into an unsealed PSA sleeve- what can PSA do about it except to realize that they should not print up labels that are affixed to unsecured holders.

Old 09-19-2005, 11:39 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

It looks like, with the ? mark, that PSA made the right decision on thinking this particular card is fake. Did I miss something?

Old 09-19-2005, 11:47 AM
Administrator

Aren't we talking about a holder that reads "authentic" with a card that reads "I'm fake."

Old 09-19-2005, 11:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

The holder says "?Authtct" which I would assume is shorthand for questionable autheticity. As pointed out, been a while since I've seen this scam too, but it's easy enough. SUbmit fake card to PSA. It gets kicked back with a PSA flip where the question mark can be easily overlooked by an overeager bidder thinking it is authentic.

Jay

My place is full of valuable, worthless junk.

Old 09-19-2005, 11:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Greg Ecklund

The label says "? Authtct" which is PSA's designation for Questionable Authenticity - PSA did their job in this case.

Old 09-19-2005, 11:54 AM
Administrator

"Authtct" or whatever it reads is a goofy abbreviation for "Questionable authenticity" and the card in the holder is 0% authentic. So at the very least the seller switched cards and is preying on the novice.

Old 09-19-2005, 12:11 PM
Administrator

If the seller would have indicated that the card was rejected because of (obviously) questionable authenticity then the auction would be fine - a bit odd, but it would be fine. Instead the item description reads as follows:

YOU ARE BIDDING ON A 1915 CRACKER JACK TY COBB #30. THE CARD WILL COME IN A CARD HOLDER WITH THE PSA AUTHENTICATION STICKER AS SHOWN IN THE PICTURE

Bid with Confidence

To an unknowing peron this could be the real deal, a PSA label and a card that matches the description. I can already hear what's coming - you shouldn't buy something if you don't know what it is. What if someone was buying it as a present for somebody? They wouldn't know any better. This just wreaks of being an auction that is using deceptive tactics.

My brother, for example, bought me an N28 and N162 baseball cards over 20 years ago. He hadn't a clue what he was buying. Luckily I found out the seller was from Centereach, NY and all was fine. It would have been pretty bad if the cards were reprints because my brother wouldn't have known any better until after I told him they were fake (which didn't happen in this case).

Old 09-19-2005, 12:26 PM
Administrator

There's no question that a skilled grader at PSA would never believe that that card had even a remote possibility of being real. The card in that holder is not the one they looked at; it was switched. They should never print a label like that and attach it to a holder that is not secure.

Old 09-19-2005, 12:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: sagard

The card wasn't switched. The card is fake and PSA did not grade it. It was returned to the submitter as "? AUTHENTC", which is their nice way of saying they don't think it's real.

Old 09-19-2005, 01:35 PM
Administrator

The word "NOT" as in "not authentic" does not appear anywhere on the label. The "?" suggests even to me that they couldn't determine whether or not it was real. If the card wasn't switched, then PSA needs to issue a clearer label.

Old 09-19-2005, 03:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Aron

That is pretty funny, people like that suck.

edited again by moderator dude.....Aron- we don't advertise to sell cards on this page....also we are a Pre-WWII baseball card chatboard....anymore posts on new stuff or sale stuff on this page will kindly be deleted immediately.....thanks for your understanding....nothing personal...rules are the same for everyone

Old 09-20-2005, 03:57 AM
Administrator

I guess that the seller received enough emails and revised the listing. It's not a lot of information but it indicates questionable authenticity.