NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-09-2015, 11:37 AM
Dan Bretta

I honestly was not offended by what he wrote...I heard it a lot as a kid, and I still hear it today with people who think it's hilarious. I just think it's funny when people say they are not stereotyping after making an obvious stereotype.

Man that Asian lady sure is a bad driver...I'm not stereotyping because she really is Asian.

That is essentially what he said.
Old 10-09-2015, 11:41 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
It's an interesting idea, but didn't PSA try this years ago?

For whatever reason, it didn't work for them.
I guess I was wrong. Apparently it did work for them because, according to Bloomberg, they're still in business - Collectors Finance Corporation.

I think you guys have a lot of misconceptions about this service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor912 View Post
I'm seriously not sure what's sadder....the existence of such a service, the people who would use it, or the fact that they're being let to advertise on this board.
According to Bloomberg, it's (Collectors Finance Corporation) used mostly by dealers looking to free up some cash, which makes sense if they have a lot of cash tied up in inventory and are looking to make a significant purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Shenker View Post
How do validate the cards are not stolen? This seems like the perfect place to try and pawn a stolen card. Do you have something in place to flag people who have pawned x number of items and never came back for them, or to flag people that repeatedly pawn the same high dollar cards?
You have to show valid id and I'm pretty sure that they report to local law enforcement. Therefore there would be a record of who pawned the item.
Old 10-09-2015, 11:44 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post

Man that Asian lady sure is a bad driver...I'm not stereotyping because she really is Asian.
In my house that is not a stereotype it is a fact.
Old 10-09-2015, 11:47 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
In my house that is not a stereotype it is a fact.
its probably a stereotype that many long time card collectors have asian spouses.....
Old 10-09-2015, 12:02 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
its probably a stereotype that many long time card collectors have asian spouses.....
When did this become a thing?
Old 10-09-2015, 12:19 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

My Asian wife uses headphones, but she can't type.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 10-09-2015, 12:20 PM
Eric
Eric

Default officially derailed

Wow. I believe we have derailed just a bit... pawn shops to stereotypes. And everything in between. Great day for a mid-day coffee and some popcorn. I for one am thoroughly enjoying this thread.
Old 10-09-2015, 12:36 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
When did this become a thing?
just look around at the National next year and you will see.....and yes my spouse is asian.....not sure if im a long time collector yet though..so maybe i join that club later..
Old 10-09-2015, 12:48 PM
Sean Costello

I only saw one Asian woman at the National this year, and she was with me.

I'll have to be more observant next time; I was too concerned with T206s.
Old 10-09-2015, 01:16 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
just look around at the National next year and you will see.....and yes my spouse is asian.....not sure if im a long time collector yet though..so maybe i join that club later..
Collecting for about 30 yes and married for close to 20 . The only thing I know for sure is the longer I have been married/collecting the more I realize how little I know about them.
Old 10-09-2015, 01:34 PM

You know if "Married......with Children" ever has a reunion show, the baseball card finance may be a good plot line.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12207_7.jpg (76.6 KB, 387 views)
Old 10-09-2015, 05:22 PM
Brad Francis

Default Relax people

Just relax people. I guess I should have mentioned I am "married to the mob" per se. The inlaws joke about themselves and their cousins all the time.

And why does Wonka get a pass with his picture of three mobsters, and mechanicalman with his link to the "native american" loan company.

Double standard I guess, but really my bad for underestimating some of your needs to intellectualize my act of stereotyping my own family.

And Shenker your "brief history" on net54 is replete with "complaints" followed by "but I am not complaining", and "questioning" long time collectors assessment of your card, followed by "but I am not questioning". Stand back and watch awhile before you jump in...

But...I am not complaining...just saying..

Back to the topic at hand please...
Old 10-09-2015, 06:01 PM
Eric Perry

Some "stereotypical" traits that might apply to a few of us Baseball Card collectors:

- We are a predominantly male group...who collects photographic images of other males. I wonder what mainstream society would say about that.

- Most of us (myself included) would benefit from shedding a few pounds.

- We typically have no problem spending a fair amount of money on a piece of cardboard, and quickly justify the purchase. However, spending the same amount of money on something practical for ourselves (such as a pair of new shoes) involves much more thought.

- Baseball Card collectors (unfortunately) spend more time thinking about cards than sex. Seriously, consider it...other than your teenaged years, what did you think about more frequently?

- We sometimes think of cards as an, "investment." Gentlemen, this is a hobby. Wall Street would probably laugh at this in 2015. Thirty years ago, maybe not so much.

Just my thoughts.

Best regards,

Eric
Old 10-09-2015, 06:05 PM
Sam Sw@rtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvymelvin View Post
Just relax people. I guess I should have mentioned I am "married to the mob" per se. The inlaws joke about themselves and their cousins all the time.

And why does Wonka get a pass with his picture of three mobsters, and mechanicalman with his link to the "native american" loan company.

Double standard I guess, but really my bad for underestimating some of your needs to intellectualize my act of stereotyping my own family.

And Shenker your "brief history" on net54 is replete with "complaints" followed by "but I am not complaining", and "questioning" long time collectors assessment of your card, followed by "but I am not questioning". Stand back and watch awhile before you jump in...

But...I am not complaining...just saying..

I think I get a pass because I didn't reference the ethnicity of the lenders. I was just highlighting the usurious rates of Western Sky, irrespective of ethnicity. the quotes are yours, not mine.
Old 10-09-2015, 06:09 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
It's an adjustable rate, depending on how many fingers you let them brake.

I'm seriously not sure what's sadder....the existence of such a service, the people who would use it, or the fact that they're being let to advertise on this board. This service being hobby-related is tangential, at best.
You are entitled to your opinion just like everyone else. I am not sure how different this is than when I have paid an auction house a percent a month to pay out a large lot I won at auction. I got a good deal and it worked out great, interest and all. I don't think this collateralized sportscard loan is for most of us, but for a dealer, or even a collector, it could be a way to do a deal they couldn't otherwise do.
Old 10-09-2015, 06:09 PM
Sam Sw@rtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
Some "stereotypical" traits that might apply to a few of us Baseball Card collectors:

- We are a predominantly male group...who collects photographic images of other males. I wonder what mainstream society would say about that.

- We typically have no problem spending a fair amount of money on a piece of cardboard, and quickly justify the purchase. However, spending the same amount of money on something practical for ourselves (such as a pair of new shoes) involves much more thought.

- Baseball Card collectors (unfortunately) spend more time thinking about cards than sex. Seriously, consider it...other than your teenaged years, what did you think about more frequently?

- We sometimes think of cards as an, "investment." Gentlemen, this is a hobby. Wall Street would probably laugh at this in 2015. Thirty years ago, maybe not so much.

Just my thoughts.

Best regards,

Eric
Great post, Eric. So sad and true at the same time.
Old 10-09-2015, 06:18 PM
Mark Hooks

I love pawn shops because I can get great deals on the things I like. However, let's be honest, pawn shops are in business to advantage of people in dire straits. Nothing more, nothing less. If you have ever been in a pawn shop, the people in there selling or getting loans are people that are just trying to pay there car payment, $'s for food or clothes for their kids. It's Leon's board and he can sell advertisements to whoever he wants.

Personally, I wouldn't have started a thread about them but that is me and it's not my board.

Mark
Old 10-09-2015, 06:36 PM
Brad Francis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
I think I get a pass because I didn't reference the ethnicity of the lenders. I was just highlighting the usurious rates of Western Sky, irrespective of ethnicity. the quotes are yours, not mine.
Yes right, out of all of the loan companies you could have chosen you chose the one that is 100% owned and run by native americans with a native American spokesperson. Absurd to say you didn't reference the lenders. The ad and your use of it speaks for itself.

Last edited by marvymelvin; 10-09-2015 at 07:22 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 10-09-2015, 06:42 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:

Just my thoughts.

Best regards,

Eric
Wall Street guys are in signfiicant part the ones buying the high end investment type cards. Not all cards are good investments, but some probably are.
Old 10-09-2015, 07:55 PM

Quote:

Just my thoughts.

Best regards,

Eric

Having been married to the same woman for 30 years, I find that cards offer greater variety.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:04 PM
Sam Sw@rtz

Quote:
Yes right, out of all of the loan companies you could have chosen you chose the one that is 100% owned and run by native americans with a native American spokesperson. Absurd to say you didn't reference the lenders. The ad and your use of it speaks for itself.
Yup. You got me. There were 326 google images I found of lending companies charging an 89% interest rate, but I specifically chose the one that would hijack the thread and advance my anti-native American agenda. That was my goal all along. Ban me now.

You said to relax, dude, and I agree with you. No need to mention other posts that, like yours, had no negative intent. My name is Sam Swartz, per the rules.

Last edited by mechanicalman; 10-09-2015 at 08:11 PM.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:12 PM
Brad Francis

Hey Sam, I suggest a ceasefire. Lets get back to the BST and buy some cards. Everyone move along, nothing happening here. I never attack, just bite back a bit when provoked, and you were unfortunately in the crossfire. Also feeling a little cranky and "Blue" about my Jays losing today.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:18 PM
Sam Sw@rtz

Quote:
Hey Sam, I suggest a ceasefire. Lets get back to the BST and buy some cards. Everyone move along, nothing happening here. I never attack, just bite back a bit when provoked, and you were unfortunately in the crossfire. Also feeling a little cranky and "Blue" about my Jays losing today.
All good, man. I just joined this board to learn about cards, buy some off eBay, and distract myself from work. Sorry about your Jays. At least they're in the playoffs. You can probably guess my team did not.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:20 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:

Just my thoughts.

Best regards,

Eric
My wifes comment after going to the one baseball card show she's been to -

"I don't think I've ever seen so many fat middle aged white guys in the same place before"

And that's coming from someone who married one and works in computers.

Steve B
Old 10-09-2015, 08:42 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Quote:
And why does Wonka get a pass with his picture of three mobsters
I've lived the "thug life" for so long nobody would dare question my posts Brad!

Old 10-09-2015, 08:55 PM
Brad Francis

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonkaticket View Post
I've lived the "thug life" for so long nobody would dare question my posts Brad!

My brother in law Franco and best friend Dino just spit up beer through their nose after seeing your post. Is that really you holding the pineapple??
Old 10-09-2015, 09:23 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
You are entitled to your opinion just like everyone else. I am not sure how different this is than when I have paid an auction house a percent a month to pay out a large lot I won at auction. I got a good deal and it worked out great, interest and all. I don't think this collateralized sportscard loan is for most of us, but for a dealer, or even a collector, it could be a way to do a deal they couldn't otherwise do.
You do you. The market will dictate...just not my style.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:44 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Quote:
My brother in law Franco and best friend Dino just spit up beer through their nose after seeing your post. Is that really you holding the pineapple??
No that cat has way more swagger than me....I can only wish to be that hardcore.
Old 10-09-2015, 10:32 PM
Dave

Quote:
Not something I would want to see.
Old 10-10-2015, 12:43 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
You do you. The market will dictate...just not my style.
There is a lot of give and take on the board. I didn't say anything when you posted your unauthorized ad on the front page. I don't say much about a lot of stuff that goes on. You are a good member and I wouldn't say anything about it but since we are talking about ads I figured I would throw it out there. Maybe some day I can make the show you are VP of Publicity for.

Last edited by Leon; 10-10-2015 at 12:44 AM.
Old 10-10-2015, 01:18 AM
Bill Gregory

This thread.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 10-10-2015, 09:10 AM

Default Pre-War Baseball Cards Forum Bylaws Page 5 , Section 2

..." yada yada yada ...' and therefore to avoid said shortage of popcorn , every nine pages there must be posted , by a member in good standing , of any ethnic heritage , a photo of an actual pre-war baseball card.' "

Old 10-10-2015, 09:56 AM
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
My wifes comment after going to the one baseball card show she's been to -

"I don't think I've ever seen so many fat middle aged white guys in the same place before"

And that's coming from someone who married one and works in computers.

Steve B
My wife made a very similar comment, but it was at a Rush concert. On the other hand, she was happy about the lack of lines for the ladies' restroom.

Mark
Old 10-10-2015, 10:29 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
There is a lot of give and take on the board. I didn't say anything when you posted your unauthorized ad on the front page. I don't say much about a lot of stuff that goes on. You are a good member and I wouldn't say anything about it but since we are talking about ads I figured I would throw it out there. Maybe some day I can make the show you are VP of Publicity for.
If everyone else who has previously posted a notice about a show has privately asked for your permission, which I admittedly did not, then I apologize.
Old 10-10-2015, 11:59 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
If everyone else who has previously posted a notice about a show has privately asked for your permission, which I admittedly did not, then I apologize.
"Posting of auctions, events or shows, on the front page, must be approved by the moderator first."

No apology necessary. The rules are the rules and every single ad on the front page is approved by me, either before or after it goes up. Just about the only time I have deleted anything (except in a few extraordinary cases) is when there is an unauthorized ad on the front page. Thanks.

ps... to reiterate, I don't mind your ad if it helps collectors, it doesn't seem to be a real "for profit" venture as much as a good collectors show, AND you are a good participant here. That is why I hadn't said anything (no reason to) but the rule is to ask first. I don't think The Gold Standard Card-Collateral banner will hurt anyone or cause harm to the board. But we do all have our opinions and everyone is welcome to voice theirs in a (mostly) professional manner .

Last edited by Leon; 10-10-2015 at 05:31 PM.
Old 10-10-2015, 03:10 PM
Banned

Quote:

Um. Where do you see me complaining about anything?

I have put my opinions in about certain topics, yes, but I don't know that I need to sit back and wait for the more "veteran" people to do so, so that I can more appropriately fit into what others are doing too.

Where did I question anyone's assessment of a card? But also, and maybe more importantly, why do you care so much about my conversation history?

Last edited by Kevin.Shenker; 10-10-2015 at 03:10 PM.
Old 10-10-2015, 04:01 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Wall Street guys are in signfiicant part the ones buying the high end investment type cards. Not all cards are good investments, but some probably are.
Agreed, Peter. However, most, "collectors" are driven by other forces. And, most, "investors" seek opportunities elsewhere.

Again, just my thoughts.

Best regards,

Eric
Old 10-14-2015, 06:29 PM
Jim
Ja.mes Merm.igis

I live in New York and I have used the Gold Standard and I highly recommend them. I have never had any issues and the cards were always returned in the same condition that I left them.
There are situations where I'm waiting for a big check and I get an opportunity to buy a collection and I need cash quick- I have gone to the Gold Standard.

In addition, if I needed to pay a hospital bill for a family member and I didn't want to part with a Ruth that will prob take me 5 years to replace, I went to the Gold Standard.

It's an ideal situation for when there's an irreplaceable card that you do not want to part with or when you overextend yourself in an auction and u need a little cash. I highly recommend this company.
Old 10-22-2015, 10:15 AM

Default interest rate

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
I clicked on the link to check out your site. I could not find your interest rate listed any where. What rate do you charge for these loans?
Sorry for the delayed response.

The interest rate is 4%/month The term of our loans is 4 months. Our clients only pay for the time they use the money. If the loan is payed back in the first month they are only charged 1 month interest.
These loans are not for everyone. If you find yourself in a temporary cash pinch this can be a nice option. We deal with many collectors that use our services for a wide variety reasons. Please let us know if you have more questions.
Old 10-22-2015, 11:28 AM
Banned

At the end of 4 months you have paid a little over 16 percent interest or approximately 50 percent interest per year?

Am I understanding this correctly?
Old 10-22-2015, 12:01 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldStandard View Post
Sorry for the delayed response.

The interest rate is 4%/month The term of our loans is 4 months. Our clients only pay for the time they use the money. If the loan is payed back in the first month they are only charged 1 month interest.
These loans are not for everyone. If you find yourself in a temporary cash pinch this can be a nice option. We deal with many collectors that use our services for a wide variety reasons. Please let us know if you have more questions.
What other types of fees are associated with a loan? At a straight 4% fee there is no way you wouldn't be losing $ on transactions under a few hundred $.